Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/28/2010 2:56:02 PM   
Great_Ajax

Thats not right. The 1941 Campaign is 225 turns. Looks like a typo.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjax

Maybe it's early morning fog, but please do not tell me this item from the product page is true
quote:

10 scenarios range in length from 10 turns to 25 turns

10 scenarios....very good, the longest scenario is 25 turns...not so much. Somehow I suspect it should be over 200.

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to jjax)
Post #: 1141
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/28/2010 4:35:00 PM   
wworld7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

It seems to me that the admin points system could be a major bottleneck in getting a player's forces into the fight.  Is this something a real theatre commander would have to deal with, to this level of constriction?

Why? According to beta testers it's not as initiative rolls in WbtS, but works rather like admin points in WitP. That concerns at least the Axis side, while the Sovjets also need those points for production purpose. Finding the right balance between a maximum of freedom, while, on the other hand, not blowing up Russian forces too much might be a challenge though and will become subject to arguments once WitE is released.

The one gripe I have about Gary's desing concepts is, that he wanted to attract casual gamers with his later releases. The WaW series was an epic fail from a grognard's perspective, WbtS had become a better game again, but wore out too fast due to restrictions, pace and lack of details. However, people still play Steel Panthers and WitP AE marks the pinnacle of wargaming. I hope 2by3 learned from this.

Maybe they did, but you do know that 2by3 didn't do most of the work on WITP-AE? Henderson Field Designs (I believe that is the name) is the company that deserves much praise.

Flipper

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 1142
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/28/2010 5:39:24 PM   
SGHunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: el hefe

Thats not right. The 1941 Campaign is 225 turns. Looks like a typo.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: jjax

Maybe it's early morning fog, but please do not tell me this item from the product page is true
quote:

10 scenarios range in length from 10 turns to 25 turns

10 scenarios....very good, the longest scenario is 25 turns...not so much. Somehow I suspect it should be over 200.

No typo - I think the game distinguishes between short scenarios and longer campaigns (eg Road to Moscow is a scenario, whereas the Grand Campaign lasts for the whole 4 years at 52 weeks per year). Now playing that by email to the very end will be a labour of love! I look forward to defending to the last in Berlin with my trusty ear and stomach volksgrenadier battalion and a couple of panzerfausts.

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 1143
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/28/2010 7:40:13 PM   
randallw

I just thought that most of the monster wargames i've had they did not have admin points required to activate reinforcements and shuffle leaders.

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 1144
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/28/2010 7:46:35 PM   
PyleDriver

When we first started testing admin points were high. We found that unhistorical events occured. We tweaked down, then down agian, and now at the level its at. Trust me its another brilliant addition that other games dont have in order to make the game more historical.

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1145
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/28/2010 9:40:29 PM   
alaric318

best regards, well, anyway, in virtue of the main game's page, there will be an scenario editor, so, i guess, the admin. points may or will be some that the players will be capable of change/tweak from the scenario editor, i do it, well, example given, with war between the states, increasing initiative and commander's ratings and unit's movement, well, modding, some not needed with a good scenario editor,

with best regards,

Murat30.

There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 1146
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/28/2010 10:14:03 PM   
pompack

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat30

best regards, well, anyway, in virtue of the main game's page, there will be an scenario editor, so, i guess, the admin. points may or will be some that the players will be capable of change/tweak from the scenario editor, i do it, well, example given, with war between the states, increasing initiative and commander's ratings and unit's movement, well, modding, some not needed with a good scenario editor,

with best regards,

Murat30.

You don't need the editor to change admin points, it's an option at game start.

(in reply to alaric318)
Post #: 1147
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/29/2010 11:51:44 AM   
alaric318

best greetings, thanks for the advice, i was about to ask the question if the game will have the "set-up" new game main menu that makes even more better previous Gary Grigsby titles, "A world divided" and "war between the states", so, i guess, there will be some options from that, what is great, i just love these main menu customization options from previous titles, so, thanks again for the great advice about it, as for a german "free set-up", it may be done from the editor and then saved as a starting alternate position, as in "Advanced Tactics", in example.

with best regards,

Murat30.

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 1148
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/30/2010 12:33:33 PM   
Lützow

Looking forward to the imminent release now, there is one more question which comes to mind. I still don't see why everybody call it a monster game. WitP was a monster, as well as BtR in regard to both of the grand campaigns, and so are some of the large TOAW East Front scenarios, like Direktive 21 and Fite. But what in particular makes WitE 'monster'? Is it the length of 200+ turns, the Sovjet production? The latter one merely concerns one side and reading through all these AAR's I receive the impression that logistic and micromanagement aren't that labor-intensive here. Obviously one can switch divisions between HQ's and re-attach support units, but that is linked to available admin points and hence subject to restrictions.

Talking from the Axis perspective, and aside of the fact that 2by3 usually delivers a well-thought-out ruleset, what makes this game so outstanding? That's not meant as critics and I'm going to buy WitE the minute it get released. However, I don't want to talk myself into a hype either and with the current level of information it rather looks like a medium TOAW classic scenario in terms of comprehensiveness. While 'monster' doesn't necessarily stand for 1k+ counters to move at every turn, for me it implies a plethora of available details and stats which are not just for watching, but have to be taken meticulous into consideration for planning actions. There are two ways to deal with these details from a developers side. The kind of it got treated in WitP and - as negative example - what Pd made in Victoria 2. V2 still has a similar detail-level as the predecessor, but it's just meaningless fluff anymore and can be ignored for the most part, since the the altered game mechanic restricts direct player influence.

Wish I could participate on the dev chat but that will become unfortunately too late for me.

(in reply to alaric318)
Post #: 1149
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/30/2010 1:34:06 PM   
karonagames

I think the term "Monster" game is a throw back to the era of boardgames produced by SPI and GDW in the mid-late 70's. Certainly Joel refers to SPI's War in the East as being a major inspiration for GGWITE.

As to what make the game so outstanding, I think you will find everyone who has played the game, i.e. the testers will each have a different aspect that they find outstanding. For some it will be the dynamic TOE's that recreate the evolution of the 2 armies from the very different fighting forces they were at the beginning and end of the war, for others it will be the logistics system, others the command and control system and for others it will be the ability to appoint their favourite general to OKH/Stavka and see what direct influence they can have on the outcome of campaigns.

Personally, I find the commander's report to be a truly outstanding feature, but then I'm anally retentive, and can spend days just analysing the data and using it to figure out better ways to use my units and leaders.

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 11/30/2010 2:00:09 PM >

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 1150
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/30/2010 4:54:42 PM   
Joel Billings

To me the simplest explanation of monster is the size and scope of the game, represented in size of map, number of turns, and number of units. This game has a 25,000 hex map, 225 turn campaign game, and hundreds if not thousands of units per side. That's a monster to me. Those are all traditional boardgame measurements. With computer games you can look at the detail side of things as well, and in this game you have that too (units composed of individual aircraft, AFV's, guns and squads, and lots of details and options to be chosen).

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 1151
RE: War in the East Q&A - 11/30/2010 11:39:17 PM   
randallw

Do replacements for airborne units come from the same rifle/infantry replacement pool that infantry/armor units draw from?  I would think that perhaps they would be different, though some would call this nitpicky.

Also, do the separate Axis countries have separate production/replacement rates, both for infantry and equipment?  What about overlapping equipment types?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 1152
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/1/2010 3:02:27 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw

Do replacements for airborne units come from the same rifle/infantry replacement pool that infantry/armor units draw from?  I would think that perhaps they would be different, though some would call this nitpicky.

Also, do the separate Axis countries have separate production/replacement rates, both for infantry and equipment?  What about overlapping equipment types?

Replacements come from the same pool, but they lower experience of the unit, and the unit must have a minimum level of experience to be able to paradrop.

Each Axis country has it's own production and replacement rates. Some German equipment will be exported to Allied countries as it was historically.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 1153
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/5/2010 6:27:08 AM   
Schmart

Can someone provide a few more details about building fortified zones/areas? I understand that they cost APs, but what about personnel/equipment? Are these drained off replacements/reserve pool? From the AARs, building forts dosen't seem to be very popular. It must not be very worthwhile. Are there other ways of building prepared positions behind your line to fall back on, as was often done historically?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 1154
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 5:13:19 AM   
malfid

Hello all!

I continue to eagerly await the release of the most highly anticipated wargame of the last few years. At least, for me!

In any case, I was wondering about a few things:

1) Firstly, I was interested  in how the game engine handles 'booty' troops. Available Soviet manpower was highly affected by the ebb and flow of the strategic battlefield. In 1941 and 1942, the Soviet Union lost access to areas containing up to 60 million of its citizens, in the face of the German advance - and, obviously, was not able to tap into that pool for military manpower. Later on, in 1943 and 1944, as these areas were recovered, there was an enormous influx of 'booty' troops. Men who were recruited from the liberated regions to serve in the RKKA (Red Army). In many units, 'booty' troops came to constitute almost 15% of personnel.

Does the game simulate the decrease/increase in manpower based on the loss and recovery of strategic centers and areas? Further, does it also simulate the fact that millions chose to abandon their homes and flee eastwards, instead of staying in areas about to fall to the Axis -  that is to say, is the manpower simulation nuanced enough to include such variables?

2) Is the editor based on modifying a 'stock' database, or is it simply a means to produce 'scenarios' with individual datasets? In other words, if I wanted to create a number of scenarios based on the same, modified dataset, is that possible? Or would I have to reproduce the data in each subsequent scenario?  

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 1155
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 9:12:51 AM   
Speedysteve

Hi all,

Very looking forward to this......

Question regarding Tutorial/small/easy scenario's.

Just thinking first off I'll definitetly be trying something small to get used to things. Could you tell me if there's a tutorial or what small scenario's lend themsleces to learning the game? Also which side would you assume is best to learn with? Maybe Axis on small scenarios or Russians in Grand Campaign......

Thanks

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

(in reply to malfid)
Post #: 1156
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 10:19:33 AM   
alaric318

i are not a developer or beta developer, but i think there are one tutorial scenario in the main menu, about the velikie luky battle theme, i have read some about it before, hope it helps to some degree,

best regards,

murat30.

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 1157
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 10:49:41 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Hi all,

Very looking forward to this......

Question regarding Tutorial/small/easy scenario's.

Just thinking first off I'll definitetly be trying something small to get used to things. Could you tell me if there's a tutorial or what small scenario's lend themsleces to learning the game? Also which side would you assume is best to learn with? Maybe Axis on small scenarios or Russians in Grand Campaign......

Thanks

Martin, there is tutorial (quite big) in documentation as well as plethora of small(er) scenarios to try first!

I think you will like the WitE...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Post #: 1158
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 10:56:39 AM   
karonagames

Velikiye Luki - teaches basics and has step by step written tutorial to accompany it.
Road to Minsk - 3 turns for Axis to refine "Blitzkrieg" techniques, to make maximum use of early bonuses.

The other "Road to" scenarios look at each Sector - North Centre and South, and allow both sides to practice attacking and defensive techniques. Road to Moscow and and Road to Dtown (can't spell Dneprt...) are hypothetical scenarios exploring the options of 2nd Panzer Group not being sent South.

Operation Typhoon is a "mini" campaign, as all 4 weather conditions are experienced, and both sides get to attack and defend.

Before taking on a full-length campaign, I would recommend the following route:
Velikiye Luki
Road to Minsk
Road to X
Operation Typhoon

It is important that the Axis player has experienced Blizzard conditions before taking on a 1941 campaign PBEM, preferably the full 12 turns rather than just the 5 turns in Operation Typhoon.

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 12/6/2010 11:02:43 AM >

It's only a Game

(in reply to alaric318)
Post #: 1159
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 11:14:08 AM   
karonagames

quote:

Does the game simulate the decrease/increase in manpower based on the loss and recovery of strategic centers and areas? Further, does it also simulate the fact that millions chose to abandon their homes and flee eastwards, instead of staying in areas about to fall to the Axis -  that is to say, is the manpower simulation nuanced enough to include such variables?

Yes, manpower changes/movements are well modelled.

Post #: 1160
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 11:48:58 AM   
karonagames

quote:

Can someone provide a few more details about building fortified zones/areas? I understand that they cost APs, but what about personnel/equipment? Are these drained off replacements/reserve pool? From the AARs, building forts dosen't seem to be very popular. It must not be very worthwhile. Are there other ways of building prepared positions behind your line to fall back on, as was often done historically?

For the Axis a fortified zone takes up about 2 battalions worth of infantry and construction troops, and they do drain the replacement/reserve pool. Different testers have different opinions on the value of fort zones. Personally I have not tested them out as fully as I would have liked - I was building an "Alamo" line with them in my 1943 PBEM game with Flavio which is in the AAR section, which I intended to disband once I had enough troops to man the line, but the game never got far enough to see if there was a real benefit. My guess is that most SU players would rather spend the APs on units that move rather than units that don't, but I can see a few specific locations that might benefit from their use.

Post #: 1161
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 1:22:01 PM   
Speedysteve

Thanks for the responses guys. Very helpful.

Look forward to buying this soon!

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Post #: 1162
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 2:13:12 PM   
Great_Ajax

Yes, you can modify the individual weapon stats, vehicles stats, TO&Es of all units (called OBs in game), and create scratch scenarios. They would be saved as databases and the data is based on data slots. Whoever would play your scenario would have to replace the original data with your data files. What you can not edit are the hard coded rules.

Trey

quote:

ORIGINAL: malfid

Hello all!

I continue to eagerly await the release of the most highly anticipated wargame of the last few years. At least, for me!

In any case, I was wondering about a few things:

1) Firstly, I was interested  in how the game engine handles 'booty' troops. Available Soviet manpower was highly affected by the ebb and flow of the strategic battlefield. In 1941 and 1942, the Soviet Union lost access to areas containing up to 60 million of its citizens, in the face of the German advance - and, obviously, was not able to tap into that pool for military manpower. Later on, in 1943 and 1944, as these areas were recovered, there was an enormous influx of 'booty' troops. Men who were recruited from the liberated regions to serve in the RKKA (Red Army). In many units, 'booty' troops came to constitute almost 15% of personnel.

2) Is the editor based on modifying a 'stock' database, or is it simply a means to produce 'scenarios' with individual datasets? In other words, if I wanted to create a number of scenarios based on the same, modified dataset, is that possible? Or would I have to reproduce the data in each subsequent scenario?  

"You want mercy!? I'm chaotic neutral!"

WiTE Scenario Designer
WitW Scenario/Data Team Lead
WitE 2.0 Scenario Designer

(in reply to malfid)
Post #: 1163
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 6:19:51 PM   
Manstein63

Quick question,
I know that you can change from being the Germans to the Russians in a game i.e Germans till December 41 & then Russia from December 41 but can you change the difficulty settings? for example if I were Playing the Soviet Union against a German AI with the game set to normal could I subsequently change the settings to challenging or would I have to start a new game
Manstein63

(in reply to Great_Ajax)
Post #: 1164
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 6:23:18 PM   
karonagames

You can change the settings from turn to turn if you want to. As noted elsewhere, against the AI, you will want to ramp up the AI to help it move from defence to offence.

It's only a Game

(in reply to Manstein63)
Post #: 1165
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 6:31:05 PM   
Manstein63

Very much appreciated
Manstein63

Post #: 1166
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 6:54:04 PM   
Speedysteve

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak

You can change the settings from turn to turn if you want to. As noted elsewhere, against the AI, you will want to ramp up the AI to help it move from defence to offence.

It's recommeneded to have the AI play at what levels, for which sides at what times?

Thanks

WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester

Post #: 1167
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 7:42:35 PM   
karonagames

I can't really answer this, as the AI has improved so much from when I last played against it in July/August. I think the general feeling among the testers was that the SU Defensive AI improved dramatically towards the end of testing, and the Attacking GE AI less so.

As the GE I would definitely start a game at 100/110% in favour of the SU, so the SU gets the bonus units needed to maintain the front line. I would then look at the front lines every 3 months and see where the front line is in relation to the Historical front line (thanks to Goran's maps), and ramp up the AI by roughly 1% point for every hex the GE are ahead of historical.

From December 1942 onwards I think the default "challenging" settings are the minimum for the SU AI needs to start their road to Berlin campaign.

The nearer you get to "hard" settings, the higher casualties should make up for the SU AI's inability to recreate The Stalingrad/Korsun etc. pockets.

Playing as the SU against the GE AI, I think that somewhere between "Challenging" and "Hard" is needed for the GE AI to get anywhere close to Moscow/Kharkov/Rostov. But other testers did more work with the GE Attacking AI than I did.

Post #: 1168
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 10:52:27 PM   
Fred98

If I am playing PBEM, can I save an unfinished turn?  

-

Post #: 1169
RE: War in the East Q&A - 12/6/2010 11:00:32 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

If I am playing PBEM, can I save an unfinished turn?  

-

You can if you are sending turns back and forth with someone directly. Can't say about how server play works as I was not involved in testing that.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 1170
Page:   <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  37 38 [39] 40 41   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI