Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0 Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0 - 5/2/2010 1:01:36 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Sorry if this is a redundant question - the land stacking value is of great interest too. It will answer the question "which troops will fit on that island" without trial and error.

I guess you are talking about the "Troop capacity" number on the Base screen, right ? The problem is that (as far as I can ascertain), it is encoded in the map & NOT the savefile - otherwise I'd have included this by now... Actually I should get Andrew to confirm this as I'm not going to wade through the map file to confirm this.

If I'm correct, it is another strange design decision, as is not allowing the enemy to see the troop limits for each Island (especially as they can be seen/inferred from the manual)... and we don't live in the age of Magellan

What can I/we do ? Well we could add a field to the region Mappings I guess and get some kind soul to enter all the data. But then each new map would need someone to do this... or I could open the map code and get the data on the first initiation. Either way it's a right pain in the ***

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 5/2/2010 1:22:45 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1381
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0 - 5/2/2010 4:42:48 AM   
witpqs

There are actually two parts to this, one of which you are talking about. I was actually asking about the other one - given a LCU, what is it's (I'll call it) Stacking Value? It is not displayed on the LCU screen. It's been asked for, but it's just a low priority AE change request.

So right now, the only way to see an LCU's Stacking Value is to put it in a base all by itself and look at the "Troop Capacity" on the Base Display.

Devs have given guidance (I don't have a link) on how to calculate the value for a LCU, but you have to look in the editor to see the values that you need for the calculation. That's not really practical in-game. It's that calculation that I'm really interested in, and I'm certain other people would like it too. Right now you put a combination of troops and engineers on a small island and, oops, too many!

As far as the other part - what is the capacity of each base - I just fired up the game in head to head mode and looked at the information I needed. Terrain can be seen from either side by using the '1' key. So I'm making aids like this one:

It's really the LCU calculations that are the missing link.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by witpqs -- 5/2/2010 4:46:14 AM >

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1382
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0 - 5/2/2010 4:55:29 AM   
n01487477

quote:

There are actually two parts to this, one of which you are talking about. I was actually asking about the other one - given a LCU, what is it's (I'll call it) Stacking Value? It is not displayed on the LCU screen. It's been asked for, but it's just a low priority AE change request.

So right now, the only way to see an LCU's Stacking Value is to put it in a base all by itself and look at the "Troop Capacity" on the Base Display.

Devs have given guidance (I don't have a link) on how to calculate the value for a LCU, but you have to look in the editor to see the values that you need for the calculation. That's not really practical in-game. It's that calculation that I'm really interested in, and I'm certain other people would like it too. Right now you put a combination of troops and engineers on a small island and, oops, too many!

As far as the other part - what is the capacity of each base - I just fired up the game in head to head mode and looked at the information I needed. Terrain can be seen from either side by using the '1' key. So I'm making aids like this one:

Ahh .. the penny drops ... sure I'll look into it for you, wish you had the link though cause it would be easier for us to add. I also think eventually the other info should be included as it's useful for planning and future alerts and maybe a combined arms invasion planner or Not !

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1383
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0 - 5/2/2010 4:59:23 AM   
witpqs

Oh, I think the other info should be included too - I just ask for stuff I can't find easily instead of being greedy with my requests!

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1384
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0 - 5/2/2010 7:52:55 AM   
CapAndGown

quote:

Gee, I wonder what game that is a map from.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1385
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/2/2010 5:59:03 PM   
Icedawg

I'm having some trouble getting Tracker working properly and was wondering if anyone could offer some input.

Initially, I couldn't get the program downloaded successfully and running, so I took my computer in to a repair shop to see if the technicians there could fare any better at it. They got it to install properly and it at least runs, but there seems to be some kind of problem with the program confusing WiTP and AE.

We modified the WiTP tracker properties file according to the instructions from the download's website. We changed the game directory to AE's directory (from WiTP), set game and side to "0" (Japan vs AI), deleted the password, changed the file name to the name of my AE saved game and set the save mode to "0" (look in WiTP tracker folder). We then copied the save game file from the AE save folder to the WiTP tracker folder. We then ran the WiTP tracker program and the program started up fine (aside from some error message indicating that the program was unable to open some art files related to LCU's).

However, I noticed that some things seemed kind of fishy/WiTP-like (rather than AE-like). First of all, I noticed some Nissan engine factories in Tokyo and Shimuzu. This is an engine that shows up in WiTP but not in AE. In addition, the program did not distinguish between the different types of Nakajima engines, Mitsubishi engines, etc. They were all lumped together simply as Nakajima engines and Mitsubishi engines. Again, this is more like WiTP than AE. I then noticed that many TF's from AE are completely missing. I also noticed destinations for some TF's were set to bases that no longer exist in AE (ie Songklia - in AE this is Patani/Singora).

Can anyone tell me what is going on here?

By the way, I tried deleting and redownloading the program. When I did so, I used the same changes to the WiTP Tracker properties file and when I tried starting up, I got a huge string of errror messages and the program wouldn't open properly. I then restored the initial download of the tracker program from the recycle bin and everything ran as it did above. Any ideas here?

< Message edited by Icedawg -- 5/2/2010 6:10:44 PM >

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 1386
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/2/2010 6:39:49 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

However, I noticed that some things seemed kind of fishy/WiTP-like (rather than AE-like). First of all, I noticed some Nissan engine factories in Tokyo and Shimuzu. This is an engine that shows up in WiTP but not in AE. In addition, the program did not distinguish between the different types of Nakajima engines, Mitsubishi engines, etc. They were all lumped together simply as Nakajima engines and Mitsubishi engines. Again, this is more like WiTP than AE. I then noticed that many TF's from AE are completely missing. I also noticed destinations for some TF's were set to bases that no longer exist in AE (ie Songklia - in AE this is Patani/Singora).

I just checked my idea that the tracker program is looking at WiTP data and found some very convincing evidence in support of my hypothesis. I opened tracker using what should be an AE file, checked the commnader of the sub in TF 78. What did I find? I found that tracker is giving the name and stats of the commander from WiTP, not the one from AE. What could be causing this problem where tracker is given an AE file, yet it insists on looking at WiTP data?

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 1387
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/2/2010 9:19:20 PM   
floydg

quote:

quote:

I just checked my idea that the tracker program is looking at WiTP data and found some very convincing evidence in support of my hypothesis. I opened tracker using what should be an AE file, checked the commnader of the sub in TF 78. What did I find? I found that tracker is giving the name and stats of the commander from WiTP, not the one from AE. What could be causing this problem where tracker is given an AE file, yet it insists on looking at WiTP data?

"Classic" tracker and AE tracker files are incompatible. Are you sure you're running WitPTracker AE (says so in the main window header)?

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 1388
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0 - 5/4/2010 11:08:06 PM   
floydg

quote:

Okay, I think I have a handle on all of this stacking stuff.

Floyd

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1389
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0 - 5/4/2010 11:12:57 PM   
witpqs

Wow! That would be sweet.

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 1390
RE: Base screen with troop "load" - 5/5/2010 3:42:50 AM   
floydg

Base screen looks like this. Enemy bases show just the capacity. Suggestions welcome.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by floydg -- 5/5/2010 3:44:09 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1391
RE: Base screen with troop "load" - 5/5/2010 3:51:07 AM   
n01487477

Great job Floyd,

any chance of seeing the LCU screen with the troop (stack) No's ?

I'll get some more code to you on the weekend - I hope

[edit]Also I guess you've thought of it being part of a filter &/ display for the Map screen ?

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 1392
RE: Base screen with troop "load" - 5/5/2010 3:57:13 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Great job Floyd,

any chance of seeing the LCU screen with the troop (stack) No's ?

That's the plan.

quote:

I'll get some more code to you on the weekend - I hope

Cool.

quote:

[edit]Also I guess you've thought of it being part of a filter &/ display for the Map screen ?

Never satisfied, are ya...?

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1393
RE: Base screen with troop "load" - 5/7/2010 6:30:49 AM   
FeurerKrieg

quote:

Never. Is this done yet?

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 1394
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/7/2010 12:08:06 PM   
Icedawg

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

quote:

quote:

"Classic" tracker and AE tracker files are incompatible. Are you sure you're running WitPTracker AE (says so in the main window header)?

Yup, you're right. When the computer tech I hired to install Tracker downloaded the program, he saw a version 1.6 out there and just assumed that it was the most recent version of the program I was asking him to install (logical mistake - 1.6 sounds more up-to-date than 1.5 something). I took it back to him the other day when I suspected it was the wrong version and he installed the correct one. Now everything is working like a charm! Thanks to you guys for developing this program. It is awesome!

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 1395
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/7/2010 12:34:50 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg
quote:

Never. Is this done yet?

Not yet ... some coding over the weekend might bring my side a little closer to another interim release (Floyds call on this), but the big stuff I'm working on will take a bit more time I'm afraid...

quote:

Yup, you're right. When the computer tech I hired to install Tracker downloaded the program, he saw a version 1.6 out there and just assumed that it was the most recent version of the program I was asking him to install (logical mistake - 1.6 sounds more up-to-date than 1.5 something). I took it back to him the other day when I suspected it was the wrong version and he installed the correct one. Now everything is working like a charm! Thanks to you guys for developing this program. It is awesome!

No worries, glad you like it ... sorry you had to get a techie to install this thing though.

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 5/7/2010 12:35:26 PM >

(in reply to Icedawg)
Post #: 1396
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/7/2010 1:54:25 PM   
Nomad

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg
quote:

Never. Is this done yet?

Not yet ... some coding over the weekend might bring my side a little closer to another interim release (Floyds call on this), but the big stuff I'm working on will take a bit more time I'm afraid...

quote:

No worries, glad you like it ... sorry you had to get a techie to install this thing though.

So, the flogging continues until morale improves?

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1397
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/10/2010 3:25:36 PM   
bspeer

Forgive this noob question. I downloaded the Tracker yesterday and it installed just fine (as well as the correct settings) but I have a few questions. I am sure they have been asked before but I can't find the answers.

1. Must WitP be running for it to work?
2. I tried it both ways and I cannot seem to get Tracker to start up. How long should it take for it to start up?

Thanks for your help!

bs

"That’s impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades." Hermann Göring

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 1398
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/10/2010 3:29:16 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: bspeer

Forgive this noob question. I downloaded the Tracker yesterday and it installed just fine (as well as the correct settings) but I have a few questions. I am sure they have been asked before but I can't find the answers.

2. I tried it both ways and I cannot seem to get Tracker to start up. How long should it take for it to start up?

Thanks for your help!

1. Nope witp doesn't need to be running, it just needs there to be a savefile.
2. The first load takes a little while, what is the message in the dos screen when you run the batch file ?

Not sure that you have it installed properly ...

(in reply to bspeer)
Post #: 1399
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/10/2010 3:41:28 PM   
floydg

quote:

quote:

Thanks for your help!

1. Nope witp doesn't need to be running, it just needs there to be a savefile.

But it needs to be installed on the same machine to get the art (map, ship sides, etc).

quote:

2. The first load takes a little while, what is the message in the dos screen when you run the batch file ?

Not sure that you have it installed properly ...

Yeah, be sure you're running it from the .bat file so you can see errors. If you run by double-clicking the .jar file, you won't see any errors.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 1400
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/10/2010 7:24:30 PM   
bspeer

quote:

The first load takes a little while, what is the message in the dos screen when you run the batch file ?

It says press any key to continue and then just sits, how long is "a little while?" I suspect I am a bit impatient.

bs

"That’s impossible! The Americans only know how to make razor blades." Hermann Göring

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 1401
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/10/2010 7:24:56 PM   
bspeer

quote:

Yeah, be sure you're running it from the .bat file so you can see errors. If you run by double-clicking the .jar file, you won't see any errors.

I'll check tonight, thanks!

bs

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 1402
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/10/2010 7:48:16 PM   
floydg

quote:

quote:

The first load takes a little while, what is the message in the dos screen when you run the batch file ?

It says press any key to continue and then just sits, how long is "a little while?" I suspect I am a bit impatient.

If everything is right, when it first starts, it should show "Initializing WitPTracker AE database". It'll sit there for a while before the main screen appears. It could be 1-2 minutes for a fast PC with lots of memory or 10 minutes at the opposite end of the spectrum.

(in reply to bspeer)
Post #: 1403
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/12/2010 2:56:01 AM   
bspeer

quote:

If everything is right, when it first starts, it should show "Initializing WitPTracker AE database". It'll sit there for a while before the main screen appears. It could be 1-2 minutes for a fast PC with lots of memory or 10 minutes at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Well everything is not right...I click to open the Jar File and nothing happens.

bs

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 1404
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/12/2010 3:00:47 AM   
n01487477

quote:

quote:

Well everything is not right...I click to open the Jar File and nothing happens.

Don't run from the jar file, you need to run the program from the witptracker.bat file as there are memory settings needed contained in the batch (bat) file.

I'd also delete all the trackerdb files and start again.

(in reply to bspeer)
Post #: 1405
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/12/2010 8:29:21 AM   
bushman777

bspeer

I had the issue you are having and I found by putting(copying) the java.exe in the same folder as witptracker fixed my problem. I am also using the latest java if you have doubts that the version of java you are using may be the problem. I am using Win7 x64 for your info.
Hope that helps.
Also if you plan on using combat reports (another tool for witpae not related to witptracker), you will probably have to do the same thing again with the java.exe file.

Bushman

(in reply to bspeer)
Post #: 1406
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/14/2010 7:08:04 AM   
CaptDave

If your machine is on the low end of physical memory, you'll end up doing a lot of swapping to your page file on disk -- trust me on this one!

It can take on the order of 10 minutes to load everything, and then processing will slow down after you've gone through several screens. Closing the app will also take a few minutes, but more like only 3. You'll know it's closed when you get back to the command window and the "press any key to continue" prompt.

(in reply to bushman777)
Post #: 1407
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/15/2010 2:05:07 AM   
Zemke

If two separate games use the same password, (easy to remember for me) does tracker know they are different games? I mean you would think tracker would, as each file is a different number.

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 1408
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/15/2010 4:21:13 AM   
floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zemke_4

If two separate games use the same password, (easy to remember for me) does tracker know they are different games? I mean you would think tracker would, as each file is a different number.

You'll need separate installation folders for each game, as the two games can't share the same database file.

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 1409
RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.5.1 Available - 5/16/2010 5:16:21 PM   
Stugots

Havent been able to load up tracker anymore. Not sure whats up. Should just delete my database and start s new one or is there a fix? This is the message i get.

C:\Program Files (x86)\WITPAETracker>java -Xms384m -Xmx512m -jar "WitPTracker.ja
r"
WitP Tracker AE tables loaded in 130 seconds
Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap spa
ce
at java.awt.image.DataBufferInt.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.image.Raster.createPackedRaster(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.image.DirectColorModel.createCompatibleWritableRaster(Unknow
n Source)
at java.awt.image.BufferedImage.<init>(Unknown Source)
at witptracker.MapPanel$Map.<init>(MapPanel.java:347)
at witptracker.MapPanel.<init>(MapPanel.java:199)
at witptracker.GUIMain.CreateAndShowGUI(GUIMain.java:748)
at witptracker.GUIMain$5.run(GUIMain.java:831)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

C:\Program Files (x86)\WITPAETracker>pause
Press any key to continue . . .

(in reply to floydg)
Post #: 1410
Page:   <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: WitPTracker AE Release 1.0 Page: <<   < prev  45 46 [47] 48 49   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI