Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley - 9/14/2009 3:03:19 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

This weekend I took a whirlwind trip to Washington D.C. (32 hours driving for a 5 hour stay. Whew!) and crossed through some of the nicest real estate around. I've never been to West Virginia and through the Shenandoah Valley before, but I am now planning on a trip next year. The Mountains look great and the rivers look so inviting. What can be suggested as to activities while there? We enjoy hiking, rivers, fishing, Americana locals etc..

I also wanted to spend a lil time in Charleston WV. What attractions might you suggest for her?

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford
Post #: 1
RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley - 9/14/2009 5:21:21 AM   
Challerain

You could check out Harper's Ferry...a little Civil War history, nice shops, great views. It is also very close to the Antietam battlefield.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 2
RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley - 9/14/2009 12:14:29 PM   
uncc

if you're into gamblin, there is

http://www.ctownraces.com/site/

in Charles Town, WV

< Message edited by uncc -- 9/14/2009 12:15:52 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 3
RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley - 9/14/2009 4:39:00 PM   
SuluSea

Do some searches for Harpers Ferry apple festival [which is fantastic], kayaking, plenty of Civil War sites within an easy drive and the appalacian trail for starters.

http://www.rivertrail.com/index.php

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 9/14/2009 4:40:23 PM >

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 4
RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley - 9/14/2009 6:52:22 PM   
Canoerebel

When in West Virginia, you have to:

1) Visit Harper's Ferry - tremendous history and even a wife/girl friend will love the quaint beauty of this old town.
2) Canoeing/kayaking - try the South Fork of the Potomac in any of a number of places.
3) Seneca Rocks - spectacular mountain beauty and a really cool hike to an overlook.
4) Dolly Sods Wilderness - spectacular mountain beauty in a wilderness setting.

All of these places are in fairly close proximity to each other.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 5
RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley - 9/14/2009 7:57:23 PM   
dakuman

The fall is a great time of year to visit West Virginia with the foliage changing colors. A few other suggestions would be Blackwater Falls State Park and Canaan Valley, they are very close to Seneca Rocks and Dolly Sods. Also if you plan on going to Virginia I would recommend taking the Skyline Drive. I think Luray Caverns is not that far away either though it's been a number of years since i've been there.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 6
RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley - 9/14/2009 9:23:09 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to look into each and every one during my trip planning.

What other rivers are navigable by canoe?  Other than marrying me, the missus isn't much of a risk taker so whitewater would be out of the question.

mo reb

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to dakuman)
Post #: 7
RE: West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley - 9/14/2009 10:31:49 PM   
dakuman

Deep Creek Lake in Western Maryland is about a 1 hour drive north of Blackwater Falls State Park. I believe they have boats and maybe cayaks and canoes for rent. It's a very large freshwater lake. Also a little farther west near the MD, West Virginian, and Pennsylvania borders is Ohiopyle State Park. It's a very pretty park near the Yough River. They have bike rentals and I think part of the river is Class I rapids, very gentle. Plenty of vendors renting rafts and guided trips too.

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> West Virginia and the Shenandoah Valley Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI