Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Will it be a failure like WitP?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/17/2009 2:02:01 PM   
Skanvak

Just clearing thing out. I am bothered when I feel people have misunderstood me.
As far as the developpement team is concern, the answers has been given.

< Message edited by Skanvak -- 10/17/2009 6:14:45 PM >

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 31
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/17/2009 5:47:20 PM   
PyleDriver

Well we just upgraded an already great map to look even better. I hope that sometime soon we can give some new screenshots. It's not my call, cross your fingers...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 32
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/18/2009 2:08:58 AM   
Duck Doc

To beat a dead horse & as a veteran Multi-Player participant in another game system I would not find the absence of a simultaneous play feature a handicap. As Joel has pointed out you can always allocate different areas of responsibility to each subordinate then pass the game file down the chain of command.

I too found WitP way too much for my feeble brain but I am really looking forward to WitE. As a matter of fact it will be the impetus for me to finally purchase a new computer. Although I did not persist with WitP I have a high regard for the design & the people with the brain power to play it.

Imagine though: a game driving a computer purchase. This game really excites me.

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 33
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/18/2009 7:50:33 AM   
PyleDriver

Dale, Gary and Joel are lofty. I like to think as myseft as smart. These guy are to much. We have two new guys Pavel and Andy, among others, my head spins. I can't keep up with a the changes. I think Gary came back to earth on this one to suck us in. I'm a huge fan of WWII, Eastern Front the biggest fan...I dream at night about this game, lol...And can't wait to play it the next day. I love this game, and were still in alpha...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Duck Doc)
Post #: 34
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/18/2009 8:17:02 PM   
bairdlander2

I hope its not like World at war,what a pile of crap.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 35
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/19/2009 12:08:03 AM   
paullus99

POE

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 36
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/19/2009 1:19:32 AM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Is this guy for real?

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 37
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/19/2009 6:47:30 AM   
Skanvak

May be he has not look at the screenshot or description of the game. But as we don't know what he dislikes in WaW hard to answer, except that the game will radicaly different for what I have see and cannot really be compare (scale, purpose and level of details too different).

Thought I like WaW as it do for rapid game.

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 38
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/19/2009 1:14:00 PM   
ram300

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joel Billings
On the other hands, those that want lots of micro-management can increase the admin points. This provides some flexibility for even PBEM players.

This is just brilliant. One of the best innovations (potentially) I have heard of in wargaming for a long time.

Why? Personally, I dislike micromanagement, as I like to have "narrative flow" while playing a wargame. I like "making history", not planning operations.

I fully understand that many others have different preferences. Which is why making micromanagement a scarce resoruce, the total level of which is customizable on a per-session basis, so brilliant.

Will be giving WitE more attention from now on.

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 39
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/19/2009 6:00:44 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skanvak

Even if the game seems better than WiP. I am afraid that some needed UI feature for such game will be lacking. I stop playing WiP when the PBEM speed got longer than the turn theorical time, lack of statisical data user friendly. In brief, too much details so I felt that to have fun I need to have a team to manage my side of the war. Which led to the bigest lacking in such a monster game : No multiplayers for one side.

So I ask will this game have multiplayers for one side? That is the possibility for the player to allocate part of the front or selected unit to another player (a bit like Hitler gave only a limited number of unit to Manstein, it only at the end that Guderian was given command of the all front).

This features is the difference between a buy or ignore (unless turn are very short to play but how can it be with a big game as this...).

Now you know why they make more ice cream flavors other than just vanilla.

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 40
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/24/2009 4:18:59 PM   
ram300

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

quote:

Is this guy for real?

:D Takes some nerve to diss one of my favourite games EVER like that. Kudos!

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 41
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/24/2009 8:05:31 PM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

quote:

Is this guy for real?

Yes I am for real.Dont like paying $39.95 for something with totally complex interface,90's style graphics.Then 3 months later see it selling for $4 at same store.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 42
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/24/2009 8:40:53 PM   
Zemke

I think it would be great to have some sort of subordinate command feature, but not necessary. Team games are easy to do without any extra code, just establish who is in charge of what and who is the Chief, simple. Now a way where everyone could work on their turn at the same time would be a huge time saver and make team games move a lot faster.

< Message edited by Zemke_4 -- 10/24/2009 8:41:35 PM >

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to wworld7)
Post #: 43
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/25/2009 9:24:12 AM   
Skanvak

Thank you Zemke, it is exactly what I am advocating for.

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 44
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/26/2009 7:02:10 PM   
Capt Cliff

The problem with team play is getting everyone together and committed to doing turns on a schedule. Herding cats would be easier!! Having Corp level computer commanders might give it a better feel. Gunderian genarlly left it for subordinates to do his bidding. But when he wanted an objective he'd show up and grab a machine pistol and lead the company assult himself. Same could apply here. Maybe you could only control a certain number of Korps, all the others have to be computer controlled.

< Message edited by Capt Cliff -- 10/26/2009 7:04:05 PM >

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 45
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 10/26/2009 8:16:36 PM   
Skanvak

Thought your system is interesting. It require a lot of AI, and tweak them to be different.

Personnaly I like the challenge to manage human beings with all their defaults, that what command and control is about by the way.

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 46
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 11/7/2009 5:57:10 PM   
rhondabrwn

Just a thought...

I'm envisioning a table where each player's command responsibilities would be identified i.e. every unit in the game would be tagged with their player commander.

A game could then be started and each player moves and fights only the units for which they have command authority.

All of the resulting PBEM files would be sent to a designated player who would run a program that would create a combined PBEM file, moving each individual player's units to their new positions along with status, strength indicators etc etc. Each player would then receive the new combined PBEM file to play the next turn and the process continues.

Not particularly elegant, but using the command table to identify which unit info is to be pulled from each designated PBEM file into the new combined table would work. The program to allow input of command responsibilities to create the master lookup table would be simple and I assume that extracting unit from the game file using the table would also be a simple routine as would dropping it all back into a single game file.

OK Joel... where am I going wrong here? Could this be done given the game design? Could it be done by a 3rd party group as an "add on"? Would such a "game merge" routine be considered for inclusion in the release version of the game?

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 47
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 11/7/2009 8:09:59 PM   
Joel Billings

I don't have an answer for you as I don't know whether the game structure is set up to make multi-player PBEM support easy, difficult, or impossible to code. My hunch is it would be difficult or impossible, which at this point means it won't get looked at until we are much closer to release. Unfortunately, my assumption remains that at release the only way to play multi-player PBEM is to have each player take turns making their move with those units that the team has designated for the player's control. We have many people on the team that have fond memories of playing the boardgames War in the East and/or Drang Nach Osten in team games set up on their Ping Pong tables (myself included). So I understand what you want and why, just not sure if it can be delivered.

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 48
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 11/8/2009 3:41:15 AM   
PyleDriver

Well to answer the post script, It wont disipoint. My girl wonders why I'm not attentive as I was. Damn game...lol...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 49
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 11/8/2009 9:03:39 AM   
Skanvak

quote:

So I understand what you want and why, just not sure if it can be delivered.

Good from a "No, No", we have evolved to a "not sure". So the thread is useful. At this pace we will have it before release

Best regards

Skanvak

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 50
RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? - 11/8/2009 9:48:33 AM   
wworld7

I want some of whatever you are taking...

Flipper

(in reply to Skanvak)
Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: Will it be a failure like WitP? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI