Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: ETO - PBEM games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: ETO - PBEM games Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/1/2009 9:31:46 PM   
cpdeyoung

Uxbridge,

quote:

When UK start his turn, he use F11 to access "cheats". There he deduct 3000 PP from USA, Belgium and Netherlands. This way he prevents the AI from doing anything particulary stupid with these nations. They are then left to the AI. Once in a while, though, the UK player uses the F11 key at the beginning of the UK turn to activate B and N for movements. When these countries are due, the turn will head back to the UK player and he can add 3000 PPs, buy whatever he opt for (he still needs to keep at least 3000 PPs in the account), moving desired units, and then deduct 3000 PPs again. In the next UK turn the AI is switched back on. I think we could do this once every third month.

Regarding USA, the French player does the same as the UK player above, buying units, adding research, and then switch back to the AI again in his forthcoming French turn. Once France is out of the game, the French player switch over to USA for the duration of the game. The only problem I can see with USA is Lend Lease. But maybe we can just let the USA player move a token of PPs by using F11. Not really top notch, but better than having 6 instead of 5 phases each game turn. We could have a 20 % penalty to simulate Atlantic losses.

I have read this a few times and still wonder about it.

quote:

once every third month.
I do not expect the Benelux to last three months, perhaps a week or two more.

I would much prefer if the UK set B, N, & L to French control rather than his own. This is specialy true when they become beligerents. There is a jole about a meal of ham and eggs which is punched with "The chicken is interested, but the pig is committed'. Thus with Benelux, France really cares about these countries. I have no doubt the British player would do what I asked, especially since they need so much from France. Since the British are going to follow the French dictates anyway, why not just let the French do it themselves. They play just after the British in sequence.

quote:

Once France is out of the game

quote:

The only problem I can see with USA is Lend Lease.

Unless this game takes an incredible turn I can see no problem with the USA handling the lend lease events. What concerns you?

Chuck

(in reply to 17russia)
Post #: 31
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/1/2009 10:05:17 PM   
Uxbridge

France can handle Benelux, no problem. As you say, it is probably better.

Regarding Lend Lease, when USA is inactive and on negative PP, she can't give anything to the British. This is why the LL has to be handled at the same time as the rest of the once-a-month US activity.

Actually, for the second group, playing in Canada and USA, there's probably no point in not having the French/US player taking two turns. It's when we go forth and back between USA and Europe there's problems. We might assume that each player has about 4-5 hours a day when he normally have time to play his turn. These probably appears between 5 pm and 10 pm (in my case it would be 7.30 pm and midnight). When the French player does his turn and sends the file to the American USSR player, there's a 6-10 hours time lag between the execution of the turns. But when the USSR player has played and sends the turn back to the French player (for playing USA), the latter will be well asleep and the next morning he go to work, not getting home until late afternoon. Thus the lag between USA and Europe might be as long as almost 20 hours. Therefore it is desirable that the USA is bypassed as far as it is possible.

The group containing no irritating Europeans, however, may even accomplish several turns a day in some cases.

< Message edited by Uxbridge -- 11/3/2009 6:43:24 AM >

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 32
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/1/2009 10:25:20 PM   
Uxbridge

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

Uxbridge,

quote:

When UK start his turn ...

I have read this a few times and still wonder about it.

quote:

once every third month.
I do not expect the Benelux to last three months, perhaps a week or two more.

Chuck

Germany is on LWD-level 1 at the beginning of the game, going up to 2 and 3 immediately prior to the historical operation Gelb starting date. France and UK, having completed their mobilization, goes to level 1 around Christmas.

In Poland the German forces, fresh from a major reorganization, was untrained in major operations at a larger scale. This led to a number of major set-backs in Poland, not very apparent to us today because of the brevity of this campaign. After Poland, Hitler wanted to go ahead and attack in the West early, but was prevented from doing this, largely on the ground of the bad weather and the need to restock ammunition. During this interim period, the armed forces, wiser after their failures in Poland, trained their units in larger operations, leading to the very effective army that attacked in the West in May 1940.

In ETO, therefore, the German player may find himself in a very awkward situation if he's too eager to conquer Benelux and France early. Against the AI, maybe not a problem; against a real opponent, well ...

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 33
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/2/2009 2:19:32 AM   
Hairog

I'm ready to go. I'll need to download ETO. I'll do that now.

Email hkellogg36@gmail.com

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 34
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/2/2009 3:24:21 AM   
gwgardner

haha, not out of town. wasn't paying attention to the esoterica. I'll take any country and beat you all like a drum. let me know.

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 35
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/2/2009 3:38:01 PM   
micheljq

quote:

ORIGINAL: edelweiss75

Am 34, i live in Québec city.Am a CNC metal brake operator.I have been playing wargames for 20 years, learn it from playing Axis&Allies boardgame.

I would like to play Great Britain.

Salut Edelweiss je suis de Québec moi aussi.

Michel Desjardins,
"Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious" - Oscar Wilde
"History is a set of lies agreed upon" - Napoleon Bonaparte after the battle of Waterloo, june 18th, 1815

(in reply to edelweiss75)
Post #: 36
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/2/2009 11:46:04 PM   
edelweiss75

Salut Mec, c'est bon de savoir que je suis pas le seul "Quebecker" sur ce forum!

(in reply to micheljq)
Post #: 37
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/3/2009 8:06:40 PM   
keensy52

whats the current situation at moment?
itching to get started.

no rush though
keensy

Post #: 38
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/3/2009 9:16:30 PM   
Uxbridge

Only some minor issues to deal with before we start, Keensey.

I do think we have our two groups, however - one American and one European/American. Since the second one was first to form, I will refer to that as Group 1 (G1). The other is G2.

Since GW was a bit boastful, let's get him Germany. Then 17Russia is USSR.

G1:

Keensey52 (UK) Germany
Uxbridge (Sweden) UK
Mille (Sweden) France/USA
Flaviusx (USA) USSR
Hairog (USA) Italy/Axis minors

G2:

Gwgardner (USA) Germany
Edelweis (Canada) UK
cpdeyoung (USA) France/USA
17russia (USA) USSR
Harbinger (USA) Italy/Axis minors

I now want Flaviusx, Keensey and Hairog to send me your e-mail adresses, full names and the perefered password you like to use to me via personal messages. I will then create a forum on my website for the game. The reason for this and not using Matrix' forum is that we're going to talk in a way that isn't always very interesting for this community and that I like to have a continual report each time a game turn is passed on. This way we all know where the file is.

If the members of G2 like to be included in this scheme as well, just do as the other three above. But decide about this between yourselves first. If both groups uses my site for the communication, however, we'll start three threads: one for each game plus an additional one for general talk between all players. All player will of course be able to see how things stand in the other game.

How about that?

(in reply to keensy52)
Post #: 39
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/3/2009 10:39:36 PM   
gwgardner

Are the 'minor issues' related to the actual mod? If not, I'll start off.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 40
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/4/2009 12:19:28 AM   
cpdeyoung

Guys, before we start we should get the new scenario from Uxbridge, which includes a repaired map.

Chuck

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 41
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/4/2009 2:33:14 AM   
edelweiss75

Where is the link for the file?

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 42
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/4/2009 3:48:41 AM   
gwgardner

Change to group 2: Chuck will take the Germans, I will take the French/Us.

Post #: 43
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/4/2009 6:26:15 AM   
Uxbridge

Link to the newest scenario-version will always be in the first post of this thread:

ETO-thread

Current version is 1.1. I plan to issue 1.2 soon, possible later this day, but I also have to work a little today.

Issues remaining are: Some graphics (German Trade, strait control, oil); multi-hex attack penalty (where GW had some objections); disbandment house rule of event related reinforcements and the exemption of USSR level-3 armour reinforcements (still not entirely happy about those); build costs for certain units; Event-PBEM-player (non-ETO issue); a few more house rules (rail movement, placements, etc).

Keep the shirt on!

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 44
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/8/2009 5:36:28 PM   
gwgardner

another possible change to group 2 - there are rumblings that Chocolino may want to get in, and I've volunteered to give up France to him. I would keep the US (and still beat the Axis by ... oh, let's say, Dec 8, '41?)

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 45
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/9/2009 5:37:35 AM   
Uxbridge

He rumbles a lot, does he?

Well, that's seems fine. He's in the States too, isn't he?

I have collected group 1 on my web page now and our discussions have continued there. I hope group 2 isn't left out because we have partially left the Matrix forum. You may lead it, won't you?

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 46
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/10/2009 1:59:39 PM   
gwgardner

Nah, I don't want to lead it. As people in Group 2 read this, I guess we could start soon with the latest ETO. PM me and the rest of the group, we need to agree on all the house rules, etc. Choco decided not to participate, so I guess I'm France/US.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 47
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/11/2009 6:28:28 AM   
Uxbridge

How's it going? Group 1 have now completed one entire turn without any major mishaps. By the way, where's Michael the Pole?

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 48
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/11/2009 5:44:14 PM   
cpdeyoung

I cannot get a game started. Either scenario crashes to desktop before displaying a map. Using 1.3b, but getting nowhere. Did you get a chance to start with a 1.3b?

Last lines from ConsoleOut.Txt :
quote:

Loading new scenario done
loading_file_")data\scenarios\ETO_PBEM\minimap.png" [1]... OK
loading_file_")data\gfx\wallpaper_seabattle.png" [1]... OK
loading_file_")data\gfx\wallpaper_pause.png" [1]... OK
Wchodze w GameLoop
Ustawiam guziki akcji jednostek...
Ustawiam guziki akcji jednostek...
Recalculating FOW...
Setting callbacks...
No i to wszystko...

This is absolutely consistent.

Germany P1
GB P2
Italy P3
France, USA, Poland P4
USSR P5

Chuck

PS : Group 2 members : Assuming we can get started do you want "ETO" or "ETO_PBEM". The Axis votes for "ETO", so, unless all three "Allies" want "ETO_PBEM" we will go with "ETO".

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 49
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/11/2009 11:59:28 PM   
cpdeyoung

For what it's worth when I try to open a current game I crash with :

quote:

Boston
New York
Philladelphia
Znalaz�em sprzyjaj�ce miasto: Scapa Flow, rozpoczynam tworzenie grupy.
W grupie s� nast�puj�ce miasta:
Scapa Flow
Znalaz�em sprzyjaj�ce miasto: Iraklion, rozpoczynam tworzenie grupy.
Iraklion
Znalaz�em sprzyjaj�ce miasto: Nicosia, rozpoczynam tworzenie grupy.
Nicosia
Znalaz�em sprzyjaj�ce miasto: Reykjavik, rozpoczynam tworzenie grupy.
Reykjavik
Znalaz�em sprzyjaj�ce miasto: Valetta, rozpoczynam tworzenie grupy.
Valetta
Znalaz�em sprzyjaj�ce miasto: Rodos, rozpoczynam tworzenie grupy.
Rodos
Otwieram plik z diagramem miast ze �cie�k�...
data\scenarios\ETO\cities_diagram.csv
Otwarcie OK
Critical error at line 261. No city at given coordinates

Any way I can get the ETO 1.3 again, not 1.3b.

Chuck

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 50
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/12/2009 12:01:50 AM   
Harbinger

oiy! I hope this doesn't turn into an exercise in version control!

Assume nothing.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 51
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/12/2009 12:32:29 AM   
cpdeyoung

My sincere apologies to all concerned, especially Uxbridge. I was going to use the very pretty August2 counter set with ETO, but something doesn't like the combination.

I switched back to the Uxbridge counters, also very pretty, and am able to get going. german turn on the way.

Chuck

PS : As the wise Harbinger reminds us : "Assume nothing"!

(in reply to Harbinger)
Post #: 52
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/12/2009 2:43:16 AM   
edelweiss75

Turn sent to France.Good luck to all players!

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 53
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/12/2009 6:17:56 AM   
Uxbridge

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

My sincere apologies to all concerned, especially Uxbridge. I was going to use the very pretty August2 counter set with ETO, but something doesn't like the combination.

I switched back to the Uxbridge counters, also very pretty, and am able to get going. german turn on the way.

Chuck

PS : As the wise Harbinger reminds us : "Assume nothing"!

How very good it turned out all right before I read anything about it. Saved me a lot of sweat on my forhead.

Odd, though, that the switch of counter-set should lead to such an issue. See if I can check what that line 261 might mean.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 54
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/12/2009 6:48:13 AM   
Uxbridge

Line 261 is about Bodo. That's where we had an inconsistence earlier. There was some official hotfix and that corrupted ETO 1.0. It have been fixed now, but if you are playing the version earlier than ETO 1.3 from 11/8/2009, CP, this might happen again.

The 1.3b has nothing to do with this. The only change between 1.3 and 1.3b are a line in consts, affecting movements.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 55
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/12/2009 6:51:34 AM   
Uxbridge

Have any of you registered on my website the last days? If so, you must have access to the secret ToW forum before being able to read anything.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 56
RE: ETO - PBEM games - 11/12/2009 9:17:47 PM   
Uxbridge

Thinking this over, I believe that some of you might have gotten the older version of the scenario. There was this issue, as I described above. Anraz or maybe Bleck fixed it, and I updated ETO some weeks before it was "released". During the first ten to twelve hours of it being available, however, there was some problems with the files on my web hotel, the older scenario files not having been properly deleted (my doing, of course). I checked by downloading myself, several times, and it looked fine. Parruski, thought, seems to have gotten an older version and had problem getting the scenario to function. Therefore, it seems that some of you guys might also have gotten the older files.

When group 1 was about to start play, I recommended everybody to go to my website, but only members of the first group showed up. Detecting what I thought was a reluctance to move the activity there, I didn't pursue the matter further, but made arrangements for the game to start. One of those were to send the exact scenario version once more to all members of group 1, just to be sure. I should, naturally, have made some effort to do so even to group 2 members, but couldn't do this easily since I didn't have all mail adresses.

I now have all of you except Edelweiss and 17Russia registred. Once all are in the bag, I will send you all a new complete file with both scenarios and the graphics. Whether you opt to try and fix the already started game or start all over is up to you, but I would recommend the latter.

I have checked GW's turn and it worked fine with my version of the game. I don't know exactly what the issue was, but he has it back now.

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 57
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Opponents Wanted >> RE: ETO - PBEM games Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI