Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 3:46:01 PM   
dwinston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdkbph

I played the tutorial in WitP as well, and found that it helped me a great deal. But that was 4 years ago. I'd be satisfied if the AE tutorial is only as good as that, if it means getting it sooner rather than later.

JD

It helped me a great deal too. My point was it didn't teach me how to play the game.

I guess I just don't understand these folks who buy the game--not a cheap decision as PC games go--and then refuse to try to play it for months. What could happen? What are they afraid of? Will ninja asassins come to their house if they make a mistake? There are lots of people here playing this model and UI since UV days, or even Pacific War days, who learn new things all the time and are still refining their play. The Coral Sea scenario is as good as a tutorial is likely to be, if you've read the manual and pay attention to feedback the game gives you. Why deny yourself, for months?

When I purchased the game I thought it would have the tutorial in it - like WITP - which was helpful. Complex games need tutorials to help people understand the game system - COA is a good example - ASL is perhaps the best. The starter series for ASL has gotten a lot of new people playing the game system. I don't expect ninja assassins to show up - but I also don't want to spend lots of time that could easily be avoided through a basic tutorial.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 121
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 4:08:20 PM   
Zemke

I'm asking because I am in Afghanistan and cannot download a file this size without getting the IT guys to do it, which requires some "political maneuvers" if you will. So instead of asking twice, I would rather ask once. Just wondering how long it will be till the real patch, I don't need an exact date, just a time frame will do.

< Message edited by Zemke_4 -- 11/30/2009 4:10:02 PM >

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 122
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 4:20:33 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwinston

When I purchased the game I thought it would have the tutorial in it - like WITP - which was helpful. Complex games need tutorials to help people understand the game system - COA is a good example - ASL is perhaps the best. The starter series for ASL has gotten a lot of new people playing the game system. I don't expect ninja assassins to show up - but I also don't want to spend lots of time that could easily be avoided through a basic tutorial.

Sorry, but looking at the product page I nowhere find any promise of a tutorial. You weren't ripped off.

The developers emphasized literally hundreds of times that AE is intended for WITP veterans. If you are one, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be playing and enjoying the game. The changes are not in the core UI or game models. They're in deepening and expanding them. If you read the manual (I read it in pieces and parts as I went, but YMMV), and you were comfortaable with WITP, a basic tutorial isn't going to be of any help. It's going to be targetted at newbies to the WITP engine.

The Moose

(in reply to dwinston)
Post #: 123
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 5:50:28 PM   
Buck Beach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zemke_4

I'm asking because I am in Afghanistan and cannot download a file this size without getting the IT guys to do it, which requires some "political maneuvers" if you will. So instead of asking twice, I would rather ask once. Just wondering how long it will be till the real patch, I don't need an exact date, just a time frame will do.

Glad to hear it isn't a job issue. Back when I was still in the labor force, I was very careful not to go against company policy regarding the Internet. Guess the six pack idea is sort of out of the question also.

Hey anyway, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR SERVING. Please stay safe.

Buck

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 124
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 7:40:39 PM   
joe chod

Zemke
Felt your pain twice.....I sent you a PM or e mail....cant remember
Joe

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 125
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 7:43:46 PM   
Will_L_OLD

quote:

I recall reading that it would be two weeks or so after the beta patch was released. Hope that helps, thank you and your unit for your service. Good luck!

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 126
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 8:31:50 PM   
dwinston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwinston

Sorry, but looking at the product page I nowhere find any promise of a tutorial. You weren't ripped off.

The developers emphasized literally hundreds of times that AE is intended for WITP veterans. If you are one, there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't be playing and enjoying the game. The changes are not in the core UI or game models. They're in deepening and expanding them. If you read the manual (I read it in pieces and parts as I went, but YMMV), and you were comfortaable with WITP, a basic tutorial isn't going to be of any help. It's going to be targetted at newbies to the WITP engine.

Not saying I was ripped off at all - It was just an expectation given it was included in WITP and generally Matrix Games develops tutorials for complex games, and there was clearly discussion that one was in the making and had been intended to be included with the initial release.

I don't doubt you are right that the changes were not in the core UI or game models - but I found it useful to go through the tutorial for COA, even though I was familiar with HTTR. (Same for Crown of Glory going to COG:EE) I haven't played WITP for awhile, and as a result need serious brush-up.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 127
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 8:49:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

There will be a tutorial manual, it's almost done, but not quite in time for Patch 2. When it's ready, we'll release it whether another patch is ready at that time or not.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to dwinston)
Post #: 128
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 10:49:44 PM   
dwinston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

There will be a tutorial manual, it's almost done, but not quite in time for Patch 2. When it's ready, we'll release it whether another patch is ready at that time or not.

Thanks Erik!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 129
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 11:14:36 PM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

quote:

Glad to hear it isn't a job issue. Back when I was still in the labor force, I was very careful not to go against company policy regarding the Internet. Guess the six pack idea is sort of out of the question also.

Buck

I would like to second Buck's sentiment. Thank you Zemke_4 !

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Buck Beach)
Post #: 130
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 11/30/2009 11:26:34 PM   
kaleun

[quoteI would like to second Buck's sentiment. Thank you Zemke_4 ! ][/quote]

Thank you for your service. Take care.

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 131
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 12/1/2009 2:25:23 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Buck Beach

quote:

Buck

I would like to second Buck's sentiment. Thank you Zemke_4 !

I would like to 4th it! Thank you for your service to our country!

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 132
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 12/1/2009 2:52:14 PM   
Zemke

Thanks to everyone for the support.  I am really short now, only 30 days left, then I am going home to find a job after my leave runs out, or I won't be able to buy that six pack. 
---------->Zemke thinks to himself......Hmmmmm I wonder how much those professional play testers get paid at Matrix, test new games while lounging beside the new pool, I'll bet it is huge!!  That's it!  I'll become a professional game player/tester and make the big bucks!)
Anyway, thanks again everyone.

"Actions Speak Louder than Words"

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 133
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 12/3/2009 1:54:24 AM   
jdkbph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Thank you.

JD

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 134
RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! - 12/3/2009 2:12:56 AM   
tbridges

Hey Patrick! You come home next month? Great!

I could't join your HPS WWIII team game but maybe we can get an AE game going. Do you like to play the good guys or the bad guys?

Send up a flare when you get back.

Tom

Tom

The easy way is always mined...

(in reply to Zemke)
Post #: 135
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: New v1.094b Public Beta Now Available! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI