Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: turn 16

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: turn 16 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: turn 16 - 1/9/2010 2:58:56 PM   
Abnormalmind

Turn 18 Axis - End

Edit: The northeast side of the map is Luxembourg. Metz is a little south along the Moselle River. The Maginot line is a little hard to see, but generally starts in the middle of the east side of the map and meanders westwards to the super river on the west side.

The "Big Pocket" is one tough nut to crack with all the American artillery formations firing support, fortified units, and tons of Allied bombers. Axis forces were able to split the pocket in two, yet the casualties were high. The only attacks that get through are ignore loss assaults. Hefty air battles ensued over the region. The pocket will take a long time to reduce. It's an odd fight. Axis forces are fighting towards the Maginot line, but not from its front, rather it's from the backside.

SHAEF depot was captured two turns ago, adding desperately needed fuel the axis side.

Metz is under siege. The eastern shores were cleared. The western shores will take a lot longer, as the 35th Infantry Division is well dug in.

Bridge repair crews are working overtime. Larry is bombing the heck out of the rear bridges. I'm lucky to keep supply routes open!

< Message edited by Abnormalmind -- 1/9/2010 4:34:57 PM >

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 211
RE: turn 18 - 1/9/2010 10:02:59 PM   
larryfulkerson

Well, turn 18 is done.  I discovered that I could do airfield attacks with my heavy bombers and destroyed 100+ German planes on the ground.  Patrick is going to be livid.  That ought to do something to the air-to-air battles I suspect.  He's probably still winning on the ground however.  Turn 18's AAR can be found here:
http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn18

(in reply to Abnormalmind)
Post #: 212
RE: turn 18 - 1/10/2010 12:18:29 AM   
Abnormalmind

Hi,

No reason to be livid. Axis are at the end of the war, and the Allied side should dominate the air.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 213
RE: turn 16 - 1/10/2010 2:32:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Abnormalmind
Metz is under siege. The eastern shores were cleared. The western shores will take a lot longer, as the 35th Infantry Division is well dug in.

Um......from my side of the scenario the 35th Inf Div is still in garrison mode and isn't dug in at all.
Are we talking about the same division?

Post #: 214
RE: turn 16 - 1/10/2010 3:16:18 AM   
Abnormalmind

My mistake. There's an armored division there that's dug it which is not the 35th inf div.

Post #: 215
RE: turn 16 - 1/10/2010 9:38:28 AM   
larryfulkerson

Hey Steve:  did I misunderstand you or did you say you were going to say that the "victory condition" was for the Axis player to keep the Allied player from crossing the Rhine?
I'm communicating with Patrick and he and I figure that the Panzers have to withdraw in turn 50 so that leaves about 50 turns where I will have tanks and he won't and my reclaiming the map might not be possible but that I figure that I just might, barely, be able to get one tank across the Rhine somewhere.  So it's possible (?) I can still "win" the scenario.

Post #: 216
RE: turn 19 - 1/10/2010 10:50:53 AM   
larryfulkerson

Well, turn 19 is done.  I'm counterattacking somewhat and making some headway in the middle of the map but just barely holding my own everywhere else.  Turn 19's AAR can be found here:  http://www.filedropper.com/augustfogivturn19

Post #: 217
RE: turn 16 - 1/10/2010 3:38:34 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

So it's possible (?) I can still "win" the scenario.

Hell yeah. The odds are completely stacked against the Allies in the beginning, and completely stacked against the Germans in the end.

quote:

... the "victory condition" was for the Axis player to keep the Allied player from crossing the Rhine?

At the end of the scenario there will be three main possibilties:

1. The Germans are on the Meuse. This should be a German Victory.

2. The Germans are on their original turn 1 start line. This should be a draw.

3. The Allies have captured at least one Rhine crossing. This should be an Allied Victory.

Nothing will probably end exactly like that, but that is the general idea.

(In my current game as the Allies against the German PO, at turn 70 I have pushed him back to his start line almost everywhere, and the British have advanced in the north and captured a bridge over the Rhine at Dusseldorf. This is an Allied overwhelming victory.)

quote:

... the Panzers have to withdraw in turn 50 ...

Sometime after turn 50 the German side gets a bunch of Theater Options to withdraw the VI SS Pz Army, Grossdeutschland Korps and Herman Goring Korps. These options stay active for the rest of the scenario (he can use them whenever he wants). As long as any of those formations (check the briefing for the complete list) stay on map, the Allied player gets victory points (for each formation, as this means the Soviet Winter Offensive is meeting less resistance).

Also, the Germans take a big hit in replacements and supply when the Soviet Offensive starts, as priority switched to the East Front at that time.

Post #: 218
RE: turn 20 - 1/10/2010 5:01:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

Hey Steve: Thanks for those answers. And as for the territory grabbed by the German, I've done a screenshot of the hex possession's and blue hexes are allied and red hexes are Germans but red units are Allied and blue units are German. It's confusing isn't it:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 219
RE: turn 20 - 1/15/2010 4:30:59 AM   
Abnormalmind

Hi everyone, we have completed our portion of Autumn Fog play testing. I hope that everyone had an enjoyable ride. Thanks!

Post #: 220
RE: turn 20 - 1/15/2010 6:47:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the front lines when we quit. The pockets circled in green would have eventually been reduced and the German units freed up could have helped push to the west some more. It was a wild ride and one of the more enjoyable games I've played in a long time. Patrick is a good player and it shows. Thanks Patrick.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 221
RE: turn 20 - 1/15/2010 12:21:23 PM   
sPzAbt653

Thanks for the excellent playtesting and feedback guys .

I'm going to finish my current game as the Allies against the PO (currently at turn 80), then I am going to do the Germans against the PO. After that I should be able to post the scenario somewhere for download.

In the meantime, if anyone else wants to playtest or post results or thoughts, please do!

Thanks again,
Steve

Attachment (1)

Post #: 222
RE: turn 20 - 1/15/2010 10:17:12 PM   
Telumar

I'd like to give it a try. Looks good, great work so far!

Cariundel at yahoo de 

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 223
RE: turn 20 - 1/15/2010 11:07:22 PM   
sPzAbt653

File sent!

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 224
RE: turn 20 - 1/16/2010 2:41:04 AM   
Abnormalmind

I'm not sure what I would have done after closing the three pockets. I was inclined to head northwest along the rail line towards the Allied rear. But that's a really long supply route and a cut anywhere along the line would have been catastrophic. Fortunately, the mobile supply units can be railed around. It takes a long time to repair all the rail.

Sedan was about to fall.

Time is the big issue in this scenario. You may feel inclined to reach out to touch everything, but when the Soviet offensive starts, the Axis can't afford to leave the Panzer Divisions on the map. The Voksgrenadier units, which aren't that great, are left to defend whatever was captured.

I would have likely ignored the south towards Verdun. There wasn't much point to commit troops to seize the crossings to destroy the few remaining US units trapped on the other bank.

It was a great playtest! This scenario is a gem. It has many different options for both sides. Well done Steve!

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 225
RE: turn 20 - 1/16/2010 8:12:44 AM   
sPzAbt653

Thanks for the nice comments Patrick.

I used your map to scraw some lines! Because I have the benefit of multiple plays, I think that after the three pockets were eliminated, a general fall back to the white line (along the Maginot Line) may have been held for some time with the VG divisions. That might allow for a panzer thrust along the green line to possibly trap the Allied units in the gold circle (if they don't fall back). At that point a defense might be held along the black line, and if there was still time, a shot could be taken at the purple lines. Or it could be time at that point to start shifting the panzers to the East Front. If the purple line attack was used to reach the Meuse, then there would be the decision of maybe keeping all the panzers in the area (leaving the East Front to it's own fate) in order to continue beating up on the weakened Western Allies. What neat possibilities!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 226
RE: turn 20 - 1/16/2010 8:36:35 AM   
sPzAbt653

For Autumn Fog 3.0, along with some slight unit changes, the map area at the lower right near the red lines has been changed a little to help prevent the Germans from so easily preventing US units entering there. Also, some of the airbases were relocated and 'distant hex' values were given to most airbases for both sides. There was an area southeast of St. Vith (at Steinebruck) where non-foot units could get trapped between rivers. A road spur was added there to prevent that happening.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 227
RE: turn 20 - 1/16/2010 2:42:51 PM   
larryfulkerson

May I be so bold as to ask for a copy of your August Fog 3.0?  I'll gladly playtest that bad boy for you.  Also, I want to echo Patrick's comment that this scenario is a gem.  I love this thing.  It may replace my obsession for FITE sometime soon.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 228
RE: turn 20 - 1/16/2010 3:12:50 PM   
sPzAbt653

Hey Mr. Fulkerson, I sent it to you earlier this week, but just sent it to you again.

Thanks

Post #: 229
RE: turn 20 - 1/16/2010 4:21:09 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Hey Mr. Fulkerson, I sent it to you earlier this week, but just sent it to you again.
Thanks

Ooops. I thought you were talking about a version that you had produced since the version you sent me that Patrick and I just got through playtesting.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 230
RE: turn 20 - 1/16/2010 4:29:37 PM   
fulcrum90

Hi sPzAbt653

Could send me a copy of the last version??? thanks

Post #: 231
RE: turn 20 - 1/16/2010 4:48:17 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653
Thanks

Ooops. I thought you were talking about a version that you had produced since the version you sent me that Patrick and I just got through playtesting.

You are correct, but I sent it to you hot off the presses-lickety split. You get priority shipments .

Post #: 232
weather - 1/22/2010 9:10:13 PM   
Telumar

Playing the newest version (3.0), turn 1.

Shouldn't be warm, or should it?!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 233
RE: weather - 1/23/2010 1:44:32 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Playing the newest version (3.0), turn 1.

Shouldn't be warm, or should it?!

It will turn cold quickly.

Which side are you playing ? Germans aginst the PO ??

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 234
RE: weather - 1/23/2010 1:49:34 AM   
Telumar

Yes, Germans against the PO.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 235
RE: weather - 1/23/2010 2:00:05 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

Yes, Germans against the PO.

Going for the Meuse ??

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 236
RE: weather - 1/30/2010 8:30:15 AM   
larryfulkerson

Randy and I are playing August Fog ( PBEM ) and I'm not doing an AAR for our game but I thought I'd do one for turn 6 'cause he's not feeling well.  It's a frames-style html document that you can find here:

http://www.filedropper.com/afgameturn6

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 237
RE: weather - 1/30/2010 7:47:29 PM   
Caz Collins

As Larry mentioned, he and I are playing SPzAbt653’s Bulge scenario “Autumn Fog”. Larry is playing the Germans and I am the Allies. This is my first After Action Report, so please bear with me until I get a handle on posting the graphics. Actually, this is also my first PBEM game, and I am playing against Larry, so be prepared for some stunningly superlative game play – on Larry’s part!

The 100-turn “Autumn Fog’ scenario falls into two phases: the explosive German attack, which eventually bogs down, followed by the Allied counterattack pushing the Germans back to or beyond their start line and a crushing Allied victory (I hope!). As Autumn Fog is still in the development phase (I think), and if Larry is willing, I would like to play out the game for as long as it makes sense to do so. That means I need to prevent Larry’s explosive German attack exploding me out of the game before phase two.

As for strategic defensive plans, ideally it would be best to contain the German attack along its’ entire front, then counterattack when it is spent. As Larry is likely to bust through at multiple places I will try to manage where that happens. I plan to try to hold the initial contact lines on the Northern and Southern edges, about 10% of the front each (the “solid shoulders”). I then plan to maintain a solid front in the center of his attack, falling back as he pushes. I want to limit his break through to a point above and below my solid center. That should put the eventually arriving Allied counter-attacking forces near the base of each of his break through. I think my solid center will eventually fall back through Bastogne, making my overall plan somewhat historical in nature.

Tactically I plan to make major use the extensive river system in the battle area. The scenario designer has made many of rivers in this area “super rivers” (in TOAW game type). This prevents most units in the game from crossing them except at bridge sites (or with ferry units). By destroying select bridges I will try to channel Larry’s attacks into the areas between the rivers and disperse his overall attack focus.

I also plan to adopt a flexible defense and not try to hold every inch of ground. I would like to salvage most of the U.S. units on the start line, but holding key choke points as needed.

That’s’ the plan anyway.

Randy Collins

Post #: 238
August Fog Axis turn 8 - 1/31/2010 6:45:33 AM   
larryfulkerson

Okie dokie....I've finished Axis turn 8.  Bastogne is getting closer.  Made some progress in the south.  Gained a hex or two in the middle.  All this progress is going to come to a screeching halt when he gets his planes so I gotta do it now.  Turn 8's AAR can be found here:

http://www.filedropper.com/afgameturn8

(in reply to Caz Collins)
Post #: 239
RE: August Fog Axis turn 8 - 2/1/2010 7:49:33 AM   
larryfulkerson

Okie dokie....I've finished Axis turn 9.  I'm sneaking up on Luxembourg and making some progress in the south.  It's slow going through the trees in the middle of the map however.  You can find the turn 9 AAR here:  http://www.filedropper.com/afgameturn9

Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: turn 16 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI