Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 12:35:54 PM   
Santayana_slith

Amazing work, indeed!

Ralph, can we expect a beta-patch in the near future while you iron out the final version?

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 31
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 1:54:21 PM   
vsadek

This looks absolutely fantastic! You are a real artist.

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 32
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 2:02:07 PM   
jmlima

It looks good. But where exactely is that fabled patch?...

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 33
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 3:53:56 PM   
nicdain

That's amazing! Awesome work!
I especially like the look of the counters shown in posts 1,3,10 and 13
The terrain features are fantastic, too.
Keep it up!

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to jmlima)
Post #: 34
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 4:34:18 PM   
cantona2

Must say that I still an eye on this game from afar and those graphics look great. Will have to attempt at third comeback when Ralph is done with his work.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to nicdain)
Post #: 35
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 7:49:17 PM   
golden delicious

Incredible. I have steered well clear of every graphics mod to date but this is something else.

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 36
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 8:03:08 PM   
ColinWright

Bah humbug. Taste aside, to me the hills look inverted -- that is to say, as if they're dug into the surface rather than rising out of it. Then too, the escarpment looks a bit too regular -- for a while I thought it must be your notation for fortifications. I can't say I care for the peaks -- better the current tile.

And finally, don't like the major rivers. Not that it isn't impressive overall -- but these are the shortcomings I perceive.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 1/5/2010 8:07:07 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 37
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 8:16:23 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

Bah humbug. Taste aside, to me the hills look inverted -- that is to say, as if they're dug into the surface rather than rising out of it. Then too, the escarpment looks a bit too regular -- for a while I thought it must be your notation for fortifications. I can't say I care for the peaks -- better the current tile.

And finally, don't like the major rivers. Not that it isn't impressive overall -- but these are the shortcomings I perceive.

Colin,
Luckily, there's nothing to stop you from mixing the graphics and using the old Hills, Escarpments, Rivers and the new graphics for the rest or whatever combination you want.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 38
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 9:49:25 PM   
eastwindrain

Wonderful work squire's I salute you.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 39
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 9:55:08 PM   
damezzi

Thank you all for the compliments!   Colin, it’s really an impossible thing to adapt a mod to everyone’s taste. Every person will be able to pick a terrain feature he would rather see represented differently. If there is any element which seems to bother most people, I’ll try to find a solution, but I can’t please everyone, so I need to use my own criteria. There is always the possibility of modification of this mod by others, also.
I have had, once or twice, the same impression on hills as you had. This is a normal optical illusion when we use slightly beveled surfaces, but most of the time our brains will settle with what we know is the right perception. I now experience difficulty reproducing the impression of dug in hills and I think that, after a while, most people that experienced that way of perceiving it will too. Increasing the relief made things look very convoluted, at least for my taste. I think that the original Toaw hills look to bumpy.
Escarpments are one of the most difficult tiles to produce in Toaw, since they must follow the hex side they are associated with. Being difficult to create an organic looking tile with that constraint, I opted for a symbolic one.     Bulldog,  post 17 is frozen terrain. It’s less perceptible in this picture than it is in game, since all tiles are frozen and so there is no adjacent contrasting hexes. I opted for a striped pattern for frozen, so that it can be easily distinguished from snowy. And I really like the aspect of paper texture it creates. Original snowy tiles in Toaw were too obstructive and if I decided simply for two levels of transparency, it would be difficult to distinguish frozen from snowy when only one was present like in post 17. I’m posting some extra winter images.

(in reply to eastwindrain)
Post #: 40
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 9:55:55 PM   
damezzi

Attachment (1)

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 41
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 9:56:27 PM   
damezzi

Attachment (1)

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 42
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 9:57:04 PM   
damezzi

Attachment (1)

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 43
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 10:15:24 PM   
Josh

I don't own the game yet, waiting for the patch release, but I must say: most impressive indeed, exceptionally well done. How long have you been working on this if I may ask?

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 44
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/5/2010 10:28:00 PM   
desert

quote:

Incredible. I have steered well clear of every graphics mod to date but this is something else.

Indeed. I might actually try this one out.

Good work.

"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 45
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/6/2010 2:20:12 AM   
BigDuke66

Looks just great!
But what about the hexes can we turn them off?

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 46
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/6/2010 10:46:27 AM   
erichswafford

I N C R E D I B L E

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 47
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/6/2010 3:10:09 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigDuke66

Looks just great!
But what about the hexes can we turn them off?

If you mean the hex outline, then yes, there's a switch to do that. You could also mod them to make them almost transparent very easily with something like Paint.Net (freeware), I'll probably do that for my personal use. I like hexes, but I also like the map without hexes, so I am going to try a compromise. I'll probalby hate it, but...

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 48
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/6/2010 4:05:21 PM   
Bulldog1

Thanks for posting the winter pics. Now I see the snow. I like it.

Just wondering if its possible to (lets use post 43 as example) to touch up the hex sides of the inland lakes to look frozen. I think this would enhance the image of winter.

AGAIN THANKS FOR THE EXCELLENT WORK!

(in reply to Santayana_slith)
Post #: 49
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/6/2010 5:31:49 PM   
Menschenfresser

Ralph, I hope that, given the overwhelming support here, this mod will come with the patch and have a conversion option from the start menu like TOAW3 and CLASSIC graphics.

Unless this isn't planned and adding it would delay things.

Make wargames, not war.

(in reply to Bulldog1)
Post #: 50
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/7/2010 1:29:28 PM   
laska2k8

hope to play with this soon....

< Message edited by laska2k4 -- 1/7/2010 1:33:18 PM >

(in reply to Menschenfresser)
Post #: 51
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/7/2010 7:22:33 PM   
damezzi

Bulldog, I can`t make the hex overlay react to what`s underneath. It only has some transparency to it, so that you can distinguish some features below.

Ralph idea is a good one and since I prefer the look of the mod with hex outline on (I too preferred the original Toaw graphics without the hex outline, but not this one... yet, that`s a very personal matter) and some may think it`s too visible, I`ll make available a version with less opacity. The `official` one will be the one above, but an alternative file will be present, so it`s just a question of renaming. Also, it`s very easy to tweak the file opacity in any painting software (I really can`t consider windows paint a painting software). The shape is a little tricky.

(in reply to laska2k8)
Post #: 52
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/7/2010 7:25:34 PM   
damezzi

Attachment (1)

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 53
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/7/2010 7:27:04 PM   
damezzi

Attachment (1)

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 54
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/7/2010 7:31:36 PM   
damezzi

Josh, it took me about one month (when I had some extra spare time available) to do most of it. The last month I`ve been adding some details, while Ralph was tweaking the engine and making it possible to use all features.

(in reply to damezzi)
Post #: 55
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/8/2010 1:18:06 AM   
Bulldog1

Damezzi, thanks for your reply. It will be like playing a new game! Awesome!

(in reply to Santayana_slith)
Post #: 56
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/9/2010 9:46:30 AM   
comte

Wow Those graphics look amazing

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to Bulldog1)
Post #: 57
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/9/2010 2:45:41 PM   
Panama

Yeah, looks great.

In the huge view numbers are good. Can they be made less fuzzy and more sharp in the zoomed out view? Old age is a curse for the eyes. Happens to almost all of us.

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 58
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/10/2010 11:05:31 AM   
X.ray

This is fabulous!! Thanks damezzi!
One thing that was on my wishlist - would it be possible to show the direction the unit is currently facing? Pariticularly easy to be forgettable in a PBEM game and then you may suffer the flank punishment!

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 59
RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod - 1/10/2010 6:13:49 PM   
damezzi

Panama, I've already changed the fonts to make it cleaner in the normal view. I'll not say it isn't possible to make it still more readable using only black pixels and displaying jaggy edges, but the difference would be very, very small and not worth it. The problem here is the size (in terms of resolution); if you open the numbers.bmp file, you'll see it. I think that the huge view will be used more frequently now, not necessarily because of better graphics resolution, but also because Ralph did a nice job making zoom faster. The first time we zoom in takes a while, but then the zoom becomes much faster and one can zoom in and out with a lot of ease.
An easily accessible keyboard hotkey would make things yet more easy. Ralph has already set the space bar to hide and show units, which is something very helpful. Well planed hotkeys are a really nice substitute to a graphical interface. Anyone who learns to work well with hotkeys in any software package will tell you the investment in time (some packages can present a huge number of hotkeys) was worth and some aspects of the graphical interface becomes obsolete.

X.ray, showing units facing is an engine change. I don't know if Ralph plans doing it.

(in reply to X.ray)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: New Alpha Graphics Mod Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI