Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Dancing with the Stars

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Dancing with the Stars Page: <<   < prev  104 105 [106] 107 108   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 6:21:46 AM   
Itdepends

Funny- I didn't think of Life of Brian when I read this page of posts, but the Holy Grail sprang to mind.

Run awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Retreat from Moscow

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 3151
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 8:53:09 AM   
LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo
OK, so let me make sure I understand. "Sodded off" man sunk. "Buggered off" means left the immediate area in some direction other than straight down.

As a non native speaker I am not sure I got that correct either.

"Sodding off" concerning naval warfare could mean both going down (technical) and up (spiritual/combustional), which is probably what Hiryu did.

So, from what I read, I think "Buggering off" means a hasty leave on the horizontal plane.

Nice battle...

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 3152
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 9:04:27 AM   
Alfred

quote:

***********Bridge, USS Long Island, 06:20, June 28, 1942**********

Young white fellow, dressed in linen pants, sitting at stern of large outrigger canoe with 7 big Samoan paddlers: <calls up to Long Island with a megaphone which he has strapped to his head like a coxswain on a racing shell > May I speak to the Captain, please?

Cpt. Coughlin, skipper: <also using megaphone> I am captain of this vessel. What is your business?

Young white fellow, dressed in linen pants, sitting at stern of large outrigger canoe with 7 big Samoan paddlers: A pleasant 28th of June to you sir. It's the matter of the fee.

Cpt. Coughlin, skipper: What fee is that? This is a US Navy vessel.

Young white fellow, dressed in linen pants, sitting at stern of large outrigger canoe with 7 big Samoan paddlers: The toll fee, sir. $10,000.

Cpt. Coughlin, skipper: Toll? This the South Pacific. We transited international waters.

Young white fellow, dressed in linen pants, sitting at stern of large outrigger canoe with 7 big Samoan paddlers: Yes sir, normally that would be true, but you used the Panama/Samoa bypass. There is a fee. I have a contract with the Dept. of the Navy. Would you like to see it sir?.................

At first I thought the young white fellow, dressed in linen pants, was going to hold up the heads (or scalps for our American friends) of the Japanese capos brought by the 7 big Samoan paddlers in exchange for the reward.

BTW, will there be a fee charged for the Samoan haka to be performed for the American tourists? Also has M&M Enterprises imported sufficient kava to fuel the festivities when the last of the LYBs are ejected?

Alfred

Post #: 3153
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 9:58:50 AM   
Itdepends

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron
As a non native speaker I am not sure I got that correct either.

"Sodding off" concerning naval warfare could mean both going down (technical) and up (spiritual/combustional), which is probably what Hiryu did.

So, from what I read, I think "Buggering off" means a hasty leave on the horizontal plane.

They can both used in the same context- i.e. a less polite way of saying- please remove your soldiers, ships and implements of war from my immediate vicinity.

EDIT: actually I'm being too specific- it's got bugger all to do with implements of war and the general gist is get thee hence from my sight.

< Message edited by Itdepends -- 12/25/2010 9:59:21 AM >

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 3154
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 3:23:36 PM   
Ossian

I think they should all just be thankful he isn't speaking Weegie. The LYB may have found Navajo unbreakable but nobody would have got Weegie.

Merry Christmas ya mad rockets!

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 3155
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 4:18:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

weegie

Weegie - A slighty derogatory term applied to people from Glasgow by the occupants of the other, more insignificant area's of Scotland. Apply tired, dated, stereotypes abouts slums to the general indifference to Glaswegians themselves who feel superior in the knowledge that anything decent/interesting culturally evolves from Glasgow and the Greater Glasgow district. Often around ten years in front of the rest of Scotand in this respect. Music, humour, restaurants superior to any of the other smaller cities; people are also friendlier and blessed with a personality, distinguishing them further from other Scots. Problems quite divided in terms of Religion, Protestant bigotry. Also Class: middle class and conforming youths Vs working class or any one who hasn't adopted the bizarre new 'posh' accent.

Teutcher: Ken, Ya weegie soap dodger eh?
Glaswegian: Away ye go out ma face Hamish and come into the 21t century if you could ya sheepshaggin' loser.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Weegie

EDITOR'S NOTE: Apparently, they also do not use pronouns or complete sentences when attempting to speak the King's English

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 3156
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 4:26:26 PM   
witpqs

quote:

EDITOR'S NOTE: Apparently, they also do not use pronouns or complete sentences when attempting to speak the King's English

I suspect the King withheld those parts of speech from them as punishment after one of their revolts.

Post #: 3157
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 4:45:11 PM   
Ossian

quote:

weegie

Weegie - A slighty derogatory term applied to people from Glasgow by the occupants of the other, more insignificant area's of Scotland. Apply tired, dated, stereotypes abouts slums to the general indifference to Glaswegians themselves who feel superior in the knowledge that anything decent/interesting culturally evolves from Glasgow and the Greater Glasgow district. Often around ten years in front of the rest of Scotand in this respect. Music, humour, restaurants superior to any of the other smaller cities; people are also friendlier and blessed with a personality, distinguishing them further from other Scots. Problems quite divided in terms of Religion, Protestant bigotry. Also Class: middle class and conforming youths Vs working class or any one who hasn't adopted the bizarre new 'posh' accent.

Glaswegian: Away ye go out ma face Hamish and come into the 21t century if you could ya sheepshaggin' loser.

Pfft. I telt yuz, but. Pure gallus by ra way. No Christmas fur you, big man - get pure steamed intae them wee jap dobbers! Tongs! Tongs ya Bas!

Post #: 3158
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 5:08:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ossian

quote:

weegie

Pfft. I telt yuz, but. Pure gallus by ra way. No Christmas fur you, big man - get pure steamed intae them wee jap dobbers! Tongs! Tongs ya Bas!

You are right. It is worse than Navajo...and Jackspeak. It sounds a bit like Gullah.

Can we use the "wee jap dobbers" bit?

(in reply to Ossian)
Post #: 3159
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 5:10:17 PM   
Cap Mandrake

OK...I am being summoned to watch Roman Holiday. Oh joy. One has to make certain compromises during the holidays.

Post #: 3160
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 5:30:40 PM   
witpqs

quote:

OK...I am being summoned to watch Roman Holiday. Oh joy. One has to make certain compromises during the holidays.

I suppose bringing the laptop wouldn't pass muster?

Post #: 3161
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 5:47:52 PM   
Ossian

quote:

Can we use the "wee jap dobbers" bit?

Aye Big man, nae danger. Pure belter, bud. Just you get bel tinky with them wee dafties, but.

< Message edited by Ossian -- 12/25/2010 6:44:10 PM >

Post #: 3162
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/25/2010 6:44:46 PM   
Mynok

quote:

You are right. It is worse than Navajo...and Jackspeak. It sounds a bit like Gullah.

How do you know what Gullah sounds like?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 3163
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 11:31:32 AM   
sprior

quote:

with them wee dafties, but

If you live in Glasgow you have to end every other sentence with "but". You just do, okay?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Ossian)
Post #: 3164
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 12:26:44 PM   
BrucePowers

Merry Christmas you guys.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3165
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 2:33:06 PM   
Ossian

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

with them wee dafties, but

If you live in Glasgow you have to end every other sentence with "but". You just do, okay?

Indeed. Unless you end the sentence with 'By ra way', which is also acceptable.

Of course, should one be addressing a member of the fairer sex, 'but' or 'by ra way' should be exchanged for 'Hen'.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3166
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 4:03:45 PM   
sprior

I like Glasgow, lived there for a few years.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Ossian)
Post #: 3167
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 5:31:09 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

I was once in a meeting with a bunch of Brits and a Scotsman. The meeting was to discuss how to remotely retrieve some highly radioactive sludge (pH of 14) from deep inside a 530,000 gallon tank. The Scot was discussing the merits of a special pump but I could not follow all of his discussion due to his accent. After the meeting I went up to him and apologized for seeking some clarification because I could not understand him and in perfect accentless English answered my questions. I asked him where the Scottish brogue had gone and he said "I only speak that way when there are lots of Brits in the room-it pisses them off".

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

Post #: 3168
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 5:35:56 PM   
sprior

I call "apocraphyl". Areal scotsman would say "English" not "Brits".

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 3169
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 6:01:56 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Perhaps he's being misquoted.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3170
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 7:21:43 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

How do you know what Gullah sounds like?

Stalker Girl's adoptive family.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3171
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 7:37:56 PM   
Dixie

quote:

I like Glasgow, it makes Mogadishu look like a nice place to visit.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3172
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 9:25:22 PM   
Ossian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

It's deliberate. All the tourists go to Edinburgh for the festival instead and get to watch hirsute Australian drifters attempt to juggle while we get to go about our lives in relative peace and quiet. Result.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 3173
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 9:28:27 PM   
sprior

Where in Glasgow are you? I lived near George Square for a couple of years and then in Busby.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Ossian)
Post #: 3174
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 9:35:18 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ossian

quote:

It's deliberate. All the tourists go to Edinburgh for the festival instead and get to watch hirsute Australian drifters attempt to juggle while we get to go about our lives in relative peace and quiet. Result.

Everything I know about Edinburgh I learnt from a documentary I watched a while back. You might have seen it, Trainspotting? I've only really passed through Glasgow on my way to/from somewhere else.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Ossian)
Post #: 3175
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 9:55:16 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

Areal scotsman would say "English" not "Brits"

He distinctly said Brits, however, they all worked for British Nuclear Fuels so that may be way he used the term.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3176
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 9:59:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

New Edinburgh, on the other hand, WAS a nice place until the wee jap dobbers (or was it dodgers) showed up.

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 3177
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/26/2010 10:27:44 PM   
Ossian

quote:

Where in Glasgow are you? I lived near George Square for a couple of years and then in Busby.

Kelvinbridge. Right at the foot of Gilmore hill where the uni is. That would make me posh if I was from here but I'm fae Govan and grew up in the highlands. I am both a sheepshagger AND a soapdodger. Double result.

quote:

New Edinburgh, on the other hand, WAS a nice place until the wee jap dobbers (or was it dodgers) showed up.

Aye, Sounds about right. Wee dobbers often have that effect, regardless of either nationality or carrier aircraft, the manky wee bams. I like how they bolted fae Suva. They must have thought your CV's were a couple of bingo busses down to take them away for a weekender. The leader aff fae that team's getting heehaw out of that, byraway. Wonder if he's gonnae get a honner and steam back in? Probably not. Bet he's lowpin efter gettin' malkied like that.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 3178
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/27/2010 1:12:12 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

Sort of like the Detroit of the UK?

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 3179
RE: Dancing with the Stars - 12/27/2010 4:37:37 AM   
stuman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Yes. I think I'm starting to get the hang of this stuff. Conversation yesterday;

GFU: Honey, we need to get a few bottles of wine for the Christmas parties.
Me: Does that mean you want me to go out and get a few bottle of wine for the Christmas parties?
GFU: Yes.
Me: So why didnt you just say "Honey, could you go out and get a few bottles of wine for the Christmas parties"?
GFU: Thank you for getting the wine, honey.

I have multiple professinal degrees, talk to all sorts of folks, from all around the world working on deals etc.. Yet I still find myself misunderstanding, misinterpreting, and generally getting into trouble.

Me: Honey, what would you like for Christmas this year ?
Her: Oh nothing really comes to mind. Whatever you get me will be fine.
Me: Really, there is nothing that you want ? Nothing sounds interesting ?
Her: No, not really.
Me: Hmm, well ok maybe we should just not give each other gifts this year.
Her: ( after a long silence ) That would be very unwise of you.

You would think that after more than two decades of marriage I would know better.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 3180
Page:   <<   < prev  104 105 [106] 107 108   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Dancing with the Stars Page: <<   < prev  104 105 [106] 107 108   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI