Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Luzon

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Luzon Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Luzon - 3/16/2010 11:54:37 PM   
sprior

Every 10 comes with one of these free:

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Menser)
Post #: 421
RE: Luzon - 3/17/2010 12:40:37 AM   
fflaguna

Are those allen wrenches second from the left? You don't see a good set like those very often

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 422
RE: Luzon - 3/17/2010 2:01:41 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: fflaguna

Are those allen wrenches second from the left? You don't see a good set like those very often

I have that set. Its very cute....in an IKEA sort of way.

The things on the left are hex heads and other screwdriver tips for the magnetic screwdriver (second from right).

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to fflaguna)
Post #: 423
Bushy Park - 3/17/2010 2:58:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

********Bushy Park, 15 mi. from London, January 22, 1942*******

Gen. Spaatz: ...yes, yes, we are already slated to get the P-38, but my question for you is can we get it earlier?

Young man in a fine woolen suit: Can't do that General, but I have an even better idea. I can get you the new P-43 Lancer if you are willing to forgo deliveries of the P-38.

Gen. Spaatz: P-43..didn't know we had one. The number is higher, it must be better.

Young man in a fine woolen suit: EXACTLY, General! And I can get you an extended warranty for only $699 per frame....oh and floor mats too!

Gen. Spaatz: <A thick cord of drool begins to form at the corner of the generals mouth. The young man reaches for his fine linen handkerchief>

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/18/2010 2:14:13 AM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 424
RE: Bushy Park - 3/17/2010 3:15:52 PM   
sprior

Of course, you could just give them names. Like Audax or Lysander like mine are.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 425
RE: Luzon - 3/17/2010 4:09:24 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

Someone gave me a set once and the very first time I used the hammer, I managed to bend the shaft in half. The shaft is hollow. Talk about getting the shaft.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 426
RE: Bushy Park - 3/17/2010 4:23:40 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

********Bushy Park, 15 mi. from London, January 22, 1943*******

Gen. Spaatz: ...yes, yes, we are already slated to get the P-38, but my question for you is can we get it earlier?

Young man in a fine woolen suit: Can't do that General, but I have an even better idea. I can get you the new P-43 Lancer if you are willing to forgo deliveries of the P-38.

Gen. Spaatz: P-43..didn't know we had one. The number is higher, it must be better.

Young man in a fine woolen suit: EXACTLY, General! And I can get you an extended warranty for only $699 per frame....oh and floor mats too!

Gen. Spaatz: <A thick cord of drool begins to form at the corner of the generals mouth. The young man reaches for his fine linen handkerchief>

January 1943? Time travel in the Pacific? Spatz in London? I'm so confused. Sprior, can you translate?

Post #: 427
RE: Bushy Park - 3/17/2010 4:30:08 PM   
sprior

It's a special machine the reTARDIS

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 428
RE: Bushy Park - 3/17/2010 4:33:27 PM   
sprior

It's supposed to help us avoid stupid mistakes but I guess it's busted or summat

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 429
RE: Mary, Mother of God! - 3/17/2010 10:59:06 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

*********Cagayan de Oro harbor, Mindanao, January 21, 1942********

A group of USAAF personnel and a dozen Fillipino stevadores squint into the blinding sun as a rusty crane lowers a heavy load from the even more rusty 1,700 ton, Prince of Negros, which is alongside the quay. As the load is swung over the dock it can now be well seen. It is an awesome thing to see. It is a large twin-tailed fighter aircraft with a graceful twin fuselage and evidently powerful engines. The engines and canopy are covered with canvas for transport. On each is stenciled the words "M&M Enterpises, Aviation Division, a licensed reseller of Lockheed AIrcraft Corporation".

Master Sargeant McMillan, Maint. Crew Chief, 34th PS, USAAF:
<the Master Sargeant thinks about the P-35's he has labored over for 8 months, only one of which is still flight-worth. Tears of joy come to his eyes> Mary, Mother of God!

Stevadore: <makes sign of the cross> Madre de Dios!

that's odd...i would think the typical response from the Master Sargeant McMillan sort would have been something to the effect "Effin' h*ll...now they give us another friggin' engine per plane to try and keep running in this gawd fersakin' stinkhole. Stevadore...check the friggin' service rating on these P-38 Lightnings." (of course, this is growled around the end of a very short, very well chewed cigar butt, and the word Lightning is emphasized in a most sarcastic manner)...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Post #: 430
RE: Luzon - 3/18/2010 12:12:13 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: khyberbill

quote:

Someone gave me a set once and the very first time I used the hammer, I managed to bend the shaft in half. The shaft is hollow. Talk about getting the shaft.

If youre looking for robust tools, I'd go with a Craftsman or something similar. This stuff comes on a neon-orange neo-deco box. It does have its utility, however.

What the heck did you hit with the hammer, anyway?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 431
RE: Mary, Mother of God! - 3/18/2010 12:13:45 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

quote:

A group of USAAF personnel and a dozen Fillipino stevadores squint into the blinding sun as a rusty crane lowers a heavy load from the even more rusty 1,700 ton, Prince of Negros, which is alongside the quay. As the load is swung over the dock it can now be well seen. It is an awesome thing to see. It is a large twin-tailed fighter aircraft with a graceful twin fuselage and evidently powerful engines. The engines and canopy are covered with canvas for transport. On each is stenciled the words "M&M Enterpises, Aviation Division, a licensed reseller of Lockheed AIrcraft Corporation".

<the Master Sargeant thinks about the P-35's he has labored over for 8 months, only one of which is still flight-worth. Tears of joy come to his eyes> Mary, Mother of God!

that's odd...i would think the typical response from the Master Sargeant McMillan sort would have been something to the effect "Effin' h*ll...now they give us another friggin' engine per plane to try and keep running in this gawd fersakin' stinkhole. Stevadore...check the friggin' service rating on these P-38 Lightnings." (of course, this is growled around the end of a very short, very well chewed cigar butt, and the word Lightning is emphasized in a most sarcastic manner)...

Ah! You've met the guy.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 432
RE: Bushy Park - 3/18/2010 2:14:39 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

********Bushy Park, 15 mi. from London, January 22, 1943*******

January 1943? Time travel in the Pacific? Spatz in London? I'm so confused. Sprior, can you translate?

Oops...forgot to check the reTARDIS machine (which is under development in Bletchley Park, BTW). It's January 1942. Spaatz is boss of the nascent 8th AAF, FDR (the babe magnet) and Churchill decided on the Europe First strategy which means the ETO will get the lion's share of the cool toys. General Spaatz, though an inspirational leader, does not come from a barter culture and just got his ass handed to him. Who knows, maybe he will be happy with the upgraded P-35's.

As for the guy in the fine woolen suit....let's just say he is affiliated with the organization delivering P-38's to Mindanao.

Today....the 24th...the P-38's may make their debut over Manila. We shall see if all the work was worth it.

Also, on the 23th, no sooner had I bragged about sneaking supplies into Manila by ship than the Jap sunk about 8,000 tons of supplies 80 miles from Cavite. I will try it again in bad weather but I think that gravy train is over.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 3/18/2010 2:17:01 AM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 433
RE: Bushy Park - 3/18/2010 2:17:30 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Of course, you could just give them names. Like Audax or Lysander like mine are.

Hey maybe we can get something for those Lysanders on the European market...and the Wapiti too.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 434
RE: Luzon - 3/18/2010 5:50:02 PM   
khyberbill

quote:

If youre looking for robust tools, I'd go with a Craftsman or something similar. This stuff comes on a neon-orange neo-deco box. It does have its utility, however.

I like craftsmen. I was banging a nail into a concrete step and missed the nail, the edge of the step met the shaft and won.

Post #: 435
RE: Luzon - 3/18/2010 5:51:53 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

I like craftsmen. I was banging a nail into a concrete step and missed the nail, the edge of the step met the shaft and won.

You should have read the small print:

quote:

For display only. Not intended for actual use.

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 436
RE: Luzon - 3/18/2010 6:07:21 PM   
Grollub

Or; "Missing the nail might cause harmful language to the ears of children".

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 437
RE: Mary, Mother of God! - 3/18/2010 6:46:13 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

Ah! You've met the guy.

well, someone quite similar...my maintenance senior chief...used to write witty responses in the Gripe Log, such as:

Pilot Nuggetelli: Transponder inop for entire mission.
Senior Chief: Moved transponder switch to O-N position. Now transponder is four-oh.

Pilot Newbie: Encountered strange sqeaky noise in cockpit in vicinity of co-pilot's seat.
Senior Chief: Applied anti-sqeaky juice in vicinity of co-pilot's seat. No noises encountered.

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!

Post #: 438
RE: Luzon - 3/19/2010 10:06:46 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

The step got the shaft? And the nail, wasnt?

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 439
RE: Mary, Mother of God! - 3/19/2010 10:07:39 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Senior Chief: Moved transponder switch to O-N position. Now transponder is four-oh.

Pilot Newbie: Encountered strange sqeaky noise in cockpit in vicinity of co-pilot's seat.
Senior Chief: Applied anti-sqeaky juice in vicinity of co-pilot's seat. No noises encountered.

Did the co-pilot have something funny for breakfast?

The first one you're on your own with.

Post #: 440
RE: Mary, Mother of God! - 3/19/2010 11:08:24 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

Did the co-pilot have something funny for breakfast?

The first one you're on your own with.

we had one pilot we gave the handle "Caveman" to, based on the way he ate his food....nuff said...

Post #: 441
RE: Luzon - 3/20/2010 12:24:23 AM   
khyberbill

quote:

The nail got nailed with a real hammer.

Post #: 442
RE: Luzon - 3/20/2010 12:30:11 AM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

The nail got nailed with a real hammer.

i'm still trying to get my melon around the "hammer a nail into concrete" concept....

(in reply to khyberbill)
Post #: 443
RE: Luzon - 3/20/2010 1:37:16 AM   
khyberbill

quote:

i'm still trying to get my melon around the "hammer a nail into concrete" concept...

They actually make fluted nails designed to be hammered into concrete to hold edge guards, braces etc, for those of us who cant afford a Hilti.

Post #: 444
RE: Mary, Mother of God! - 3/20/2010 12:51:27 PM   
whippleofd

quote:

well, someone quite similar...my maintenance senior chief...used to write witty responses in the Gripe Log, such as:

When a Chief is training an officer; sometimes it's straight forward, sometimes more subtle ways are needed.

Whipple

MMCS(SW/AW) 1981-2001
1981 RTC, SD
81-82 NPS, Orlando
82-85 NPTU, Idaho Falls
85-90 USS Truxtun (CGN-35)
90-93 USS George Washington (CVN-73)
93-96 NFAS Orlando
96-01 Navsea-08/Naval Reactors

Post #: 445
RE: Mary, Mother of God! - 3/20/2010 5:01:26 PM   
sprior

Jan 24

Crabs come good again:

Allied aircraft
Vildebeest III x 6
B-339D x 2

Allied aircraft losses
Vildebeest III: 5 damaged

Japanese Ships
xAK Tatuwa Maru
xAK Yamabiko Maru, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk

Japanese ground losses:
241 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

JJ has moved out of Merak and it looks like the battle of Sumatra has begun.

Meanwhile at Toungoo a base force holds off the 14 Tank Regt for a day. IG Div attacks Bassein only to find it empty.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to whippleofd)
Post #: 446
VC's all around - 3/20/2010 6:09:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Meanwhile at Toungoo a base force holds off the 14 Tank Regt for a day..

******With the RAF, 11th Auxillary Erstwhile Antitank Coy., Tuoungoo, Siam, January 25, 1942*****

Lt. Uppington-Smyth: ...right, so how many Boys rifles do we have?

Soldier 1: None Sir.

Lt. Uppington-Smyth: Bloody Hell! And PIAT's?

Soldier 2: 'aven't been invented yet, sir.

Lt. Uppington-Smyth: Oh, bugger! Any ideas? We need to stop those little yellow bastards in those damnable tankettes.

Soldier 2: Lt., remember when young Llewelyn blew himself up by overinflating that Wapiti tyre?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 447
RE: VC's all around - 3/20/2010 6:11:36 PM   
Dixie

quote:

quote:

Meanwhile at Toungoo a base force holds off the 14 Tank Regt for a day..

******With the RAF, 11th Auxillary Erstwhile Antitank Coy., Tuoungoo, Siam, January 25, 1942*****

Lt. Uppington-Smyth: ...right, so how many Boys rifles do we have?

Soldier 1: None Sir.

Lt. Uppington-Smyth: Bloody Hell! And PIAT's?

Soldier 2: 'aven't been invented yet, sir.

Lt. Uppington-Smyth: Oh, bugger! Any ideas? We need to stop those little yellow bastards in those damnable tankettes.

Soldier 2: Lt., remember when young Llewelyn blew himself up by overinflating that Wapiti tyre?

Sounds like you need sticky bombs. Those tropical knee length socks should be able to fit quite a bit of explosive..

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 448
RE: VC's all around - 3/20/2010 6:24:30 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Soldier 1: 'ow about we put some charges in your stockings, cover them with axle grease and throw them against the tanks, sir?

Lt. Uppington-Smyth: That does have merit, but I rather fancy my stockings.

Soldier 1: Honestly, sir, they make you look like a homosexual.

Lt. Uppington-Smyth: They absolutely do no such thing......do you really.......right, so I want the overinflated Wapiti tyres spaced every 15 ft along the road and I shall remove my stockings for the sticky bombs...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 449
Dutch East Indies Contrarian Newsletter - 3/20/2010 6:28:45 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So, I suggest to Lord Admiral Sprior that he move some Uglofortresses into Balikpapan to strike the Jap shipping at Samarinda and the very next turn the Japs cross the river, shock attack, and capture Balikpapan.

He would be wise to paternalistically acknowledge my suggestions and then do just the opposite.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Luzon Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI