Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines Page: <<   < prev  152 153 [154] 155 156   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/13/2011 11:08:59 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

We received a telegraph from Rord Admirar Nerson. It seems his ENIAC Mk4 needs a new vacuum tube. Meanwhile the USN carriers are sitting in the Coral Sea...it is nearly killing me.

Gosh-that's awful. Maybe you could return the tournament turns awaiting your input, sir. That may occupy your 'saving the world' time commitment sufficiently.

That will have to wait till I get home. We have a "no video games at work" clause too.

Probably constitutes "moral turpitude" as well...

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 4591
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/13/2011 11:18:18 PM   
Mynok

quote:

quote:

quote:

We received a telegraph from Rord Admirar Nerson. It seems his ENIAC Mk4 needs a new vacuum tube. Meanwhile the USN carriers are sitting in the Coral Sea...it is nearly killing me.

Gosh-that's awful. Maybe you could return the tournament turns awaiting your input, sir. That may occupy your 'saving the world' time commitment sufficiently.

That will have to wait till I get home. We have a "no video games at work" clause too.

AE is a video game now? When did that happen? If true, I will have resign all my games and request punitive castration for so grossly violating my standards.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 4592
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/13/2011 11:20:35 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

quote:

quote:

AE is a video game now? When did that happen? If true, I will have resign all my games and request punitive castration for so grossly violating my standards.

Well, you DO need a video monitor to play, and it is a game... for what time would you like to set up that appointment?

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 4593
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/13/2011 11:43:23 PM   
witpqs

In case you guys missed it, there was recently a federal appeals court ruling that using your employer's computer in a manner that exceeds the acceptable use policy of the company (for example, accessing the Internet for personal reasons when it's prohibited) constitutes a felony violation of the federal anti-hacking law! Sad but true.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 4594
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/14/2011 12:01:19 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

In case you guys missed it, there was recently a federal appeals court ruling that using your employer's computer in a manner that exceeds the acceptable use policy of the company (for example, accessing the Internet for personal reasons when it's prohibited) constitutes a felony violation of the federal anti-hacking law! Sad but true.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 4595
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/14/2011 12:04:55 AM   
Reg

quote:

It must be true!!

From the repository of all things geeky.... WITP-AE on VideoGameGeek

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 4596
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/14/2011 1:14:10 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Standards?

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 4597
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/14/2011 3:52:45 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, thank goodness we never had to deal with that vague "moral turpitude" kind of legal gobbledeygook when I was on active duty as a LCDR.

But there was this funny little UCMJ clause about "conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman" that I guess served the same purpose 'cause it legally allowed the guys in charge to hang you out to dry anytime they felt they needed to (as, whenever it was in their best interest...)

"Meet the new boss; same as the old boss."

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 4598
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/15/2011 2:40:39 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

quote:

quote:

I thought you owned the work

Post #: 4599
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/15/2011 3:34:59 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

It's complicated. We are being increasingly corporatized and must answer to the bean counters at times. Of course, every once in a while, like a giant sloth who ventured too close to the La Brea Tar Pits, we roar in primordial opposition....as we sink up to our necks.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 4600
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/15/2011 4:35:32 AM   
BrucePowers

Not playing games at work is actually a good policy for both employees and employers.

Post #: 4601
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/15/2011 4:36:46 AM   
BrucePowers

By the way, I hope all is well in Southern California.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 4602
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/15/2011 5:31:04 AM   
perkinh

I always like that one " Article 133", Article 134 was better though, it was what you need Captain...it basicly says that we can get you anytime we think what you did was inaprpriate or abusive, but we havent covered it under the other 133 articles.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, thank goodness we never had to deal with that vague "moral turpitude" kind of legal gobbledeygook when I was on active duty as a LCDR.

But there was this funny little UCMJ clause about "conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman" that I guess served the same purpose 'cause it legally allowed the guys in charge to hang you out to dry anytime they felt they needed to (as, whenever it was in their best interest...)

"Meet the new boss; same as the old boss."

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 4603
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/15/2011 7:25:44 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

It's complicated. We are being increasingly corporatized and must answer to the bean counters at times. Of course, every once in a while, like a giant sloth who ventured too close to the La Brea Tar Pits, we roar in primordial opposition....as we sink up to our necks.

But just think of the nice quality osseous specimens you'll leave behind-museum quality...and all the nice crude oil. Thanks, Dr. Tar Pit Man, we appreciate you looking out for the future!

Post #: 4604
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/15/2011 4:40:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

No turn yet. I think Rord Admirar Nerson had to send away to Ithaca for a new Cyclotron for the ENIAC.

I just occurred to me I am not sure if giant sloths really had much of a roar. They might have sounded like baritone house cats when they were mad.

Did you know they found one female human skull at the La Brea tar pits? I would lay 10:1 she had PADD (Prehistoric ADD).

Prehistoric Mom with serious brow...no...I mean REALLY BIG...bigger than Patrick Ewing: Ayla, if you find peyote buttons today, bring home.

Ayla*: OK mom <skips away> Lalalalalala

Prehistoric Mom with serious brow...no...I mean REALLY BIG...bigger than Patrick Ewing:...And stay away from those tar pits!

*Secretly worries someone will deduce I read Clan of the Cave Bear

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4605
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/16/2011 12:52:38 AM   
Mynok

As long as you didn't read East of Eden.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 4606
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/16/2011 9:29:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

As long as you didn't read East of Eden.

Whew! Guess I'm OK then.

Looks like the Cyclotron came in from Ithaca and Rord Admirar Nerson got his ENIAC running.

You may recall the USN carriers sortied from Townesville into the Coral Sea to possibly intercept Jap shipping transiting to/from Horn Is and Port Moresby. You may also recall there was the likely sighting of Zuikaku somewhere in the Coral Sea. She may still be there but, based on the combat text report she is not near the NW portion as there wre no carrier battles on August 19.

Here is what happened:

Ashigara and the 3 DD's came back to Horn Is at night but were scared off by 4 PT boats playing Andrew's Sisters songs at 120 dB in a brillaint Psyops effort.

When the sun came up, a larger cruiser group and laden troop transports were discovered near Port Moresby. Evidently, JJ had not spotted the USN carriers refueling at Townesville because the IJN ships were highly vulnerable.

The medium bombers from Cairns and the B-17's from Townesville started first, a total of 31 sorties in the morning. The B-25's, attacking at 1000 ft actually hit two AK's with WJD's aboard.

Then the carrier planes went in, attacking the two cruiser forces. The hits were as follows in multiple raids:

Natori 5
Mogami 2
Kiso 2
Suzuya 9
Nadi 2
Myoko 5
DD 2
DD 1

Most of the hits were 1000 lb bombs from the SBD's, though a few might have been 500 lb bombs from TBF's. Not one torpedo struck home.

In the afternoon, a B-25 hit another AK with WJD's aboard.

One flight of B-17's was so awesomely beautiful in it's martial perfection that it caused 32 casualties without even scoring a bomb hit:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Port Moresby at 98,130

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 7,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Allied aircraft
B-17E Fortress x 9

Allied aircraft losses
B-17E Fortress: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
xAK Sanko Maru
xAK Yamabato Maru
xAK Ume Maru, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
32 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 4607
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/17/2011 12:34:52 PM   
sprior

quote:

But there was this funny little UCMJ clause about "conduct unbecoming an officer and gentleman

The RN has "conduct liable to bring the service into disrepute".

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 4608
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/17/2011 12:36:16 PM   
sprior

quote:

32 casualties without even scoring a bomb hit:

Goffa-ed

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 4609
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/17/2011 12:42:44 PM   
sprior

Anyway while our American cousins have been out invading islands, sinking ships etc we've been PLANNING! Yes, Operation Otter is a go. "nd UK Div will arrive at Pert soon and the US 32nd Div and various hangers-on are on their way from A Town Called Malice.

Our initial targets will be Port Hedland and Derby. Wyndham will be Phase 2 (operation Lutra).

Two RN carriers are currently at Adelaide on a bit of a jolly, fuel convoys are en route from Abadan.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4610
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/17/2011 1:05:35 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Anyway while our American cousins have been out invading islands, sinking ships etc we've been PLANNING! Yes, Operation Otter is a go. "nd UK Div will arrive at Pert soon and the US 32nd Div and various hangers-on are on their way from A Town Called Malice.

Our initial targets will be Port Hedland and Derby. Wyndham will be Phase 2 (operation Lutra).

Two RN carriers are currently at Adelaide on a bit of a jolly, fuel convoys are en route from Abadan.

So it's to be the Pert quotes, eh? They always did have a way with words.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4611
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/17/2011 1:45:08 PM   
sprior

Are we allowed to say Pert on a family friendly forum?

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4612
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/17/2011 5:28:04 PM   
Mynok

Are you allowed to say "planning" in this AAR? Shouldn't we be using some harmless euphemism like "fortune telling" or "mucking about randomly"?

< Message edited by Mynok -- 5/17/2011 5:29:45 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 4613
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/17/2011 7:19:42 PM   
Grollub

Speaking of word usage, I believe "perky" has gone out of fashion.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 4614
RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines - 5/17/2011 7:57:37 PM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

Speaking of word usage, I believe "perky" has gone out of fashion.

Pinky and Perky

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 4615
Hepatomancer Extraordinaire - 5/17/2011 8:13:52 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**************SWPAC HQ, Brisbane, Aug. 20, 1942************

Man in fine linen Etruscan style gown with sandals: You are aware of Admiral Halsey, sir, SouthPac Air Boss?

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): Sure, I know him. Crazier than a March hare but I like his tenacity. What about him?

Man in fine linen Etruscan style gown with sandals: Well sir, he uses Haruspicy to plan his bomber raids.

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): Really? Does it work?

Man in fine linen Etruscan style gown with sandals: Yes sir! The Japs just pulled out of Tanna airfield, sir.

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): I'll be damned. Let's give it a try.

Man in fine linen Etruscan style gown with sandals: Yes, sir! If you don't mind signing the contract first, sir.

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): <pretends to read the contract...then signs it> Right, let's have at it. I have an Otter plenary planning meeting at 2.

Man in fine linen Etruscan style gown with sandals: Splendid, I'll just have the Haruspex come in.

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): The what?

Man in fine linen Etruscan style gown with sandals: The Haruspex, sir, the one who actually reads the sheep liver.

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): Ah, yes, of course, I simply didn't hear you well.

Haruspex: <a US Army Lt. with a unit badge that reads US Army, Chaplaincy Corps, 1230th Ecclesiastical Expeditionary Force enter the room carrying a sectioned sheep liver on a terra cotta platter> Good afternoon, sir.

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): Good Lord, I didn't expect you to be commissioned.

Haruspex: No sir, that is what Admiral Halsey said. The US Army Chaplaincy Corps prides itself on its diversity.

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): I imagine so. Do you get much call for Etruscan language services?

Haruspex: No sir, not much at all. That is why I am so indebted to Mr. Minderbinder, sir.

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): <looks over at the man in the fine linen robe> Minderbinder, is that Etruscan?

Man in fine linen Etruscan style gown with sandals: I'm 1/4 Etruscan on my mother's side, sir.

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): Ah, I see. Well, let's get to it. What do you see?

Haruspex: Yes sir! <he sets down the platter> Now, if you will pay attention to this section here, you will see there is a small tumor right here <he points to the 10:00 position> This signifies weakness in the Jap defences. <everyone moves close to the sheep's liver slice>

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): Well, I'll be damned. I see it and now that you mention it, it really does look like Australia. Where is the weakness?

Haruspex: Fetili, sir.

Gen. MacArthur (or look-alike): Feh-tah..what?

Haruspex: Fetili...it's Etruscan for Derby, sir.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 5/17/2011 8:18:26 PM >

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 4616
RE: Hepatomancer Extraordinaire - 5/17/2011 9:52:03 PM   
Smeulders

This explains 150 out of the past 154 pages.

The AE-Wiki, help fill it out

Post #: 4617
RE: Hepatomancer Extraordinaire - 5/17/2011 10:11:06 PM   
Mynok

quote:

1230th Ecclesiastical Expeditionary

I believe that is actually the 1230th Eschatological Expeditionary........

(in reply to Smeulders)
Post #: 4618
RE: Hepatomancer Extraordinaire - 5/17/2011 10:15:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

1230th Ecclesiastical Expeditionary

I believe that is actually the 1230th Eschatological Expeditionary........

At two turns an Earth week, I don't we are anywhere near the end time.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 4619
RE: Hepatomancer Extraordinaire - 5/17/2011 10:48:37 PM   
witpqs

2012 is just around the corner...

Post #: 4620
Page:   <<   < prev  152 153 [154] 155 156   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: How I Would Defend The Philippines Page: <<   < prev  152 153 [154] 155 156   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI