Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Allied TF Behaviour

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Allied TF Behaviour Page: <<   < prev  184 185 [186] 187 188   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/12/2011 2:01:14 PM   
FOW

The presence of a Naval HQ will speed up repair too - you have prepositioned one at Perth to help you with emergency repairs to warships haven't you ?????

NB. pretend I don't know that you don't read the manual

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5551
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/12/2011 5:30:14 PM   
Cap Mandrake

I don't think we budgeted for the number of De Sotos and Packards that would be coming into the shop all at once.

I don't believe there is a naval HQ at Perth. I believe the naval HQ evacuated from Manila is at Sydney. There is also a naval support unit from Cebu at either at perth or Gerladton. If I understnad correctly, even naval support capability from an engineering support unit counts, not jsut HQ's.

We also have a RAN support unit at Port Headland.

Wasp is repairing at Perth. The two damaged RN BB's are at Geraldton. Illustrious is very lightly damaged. As it stands now, the last of the three carriers to be ready will be Yorktown. If Nevada makes it to Geraldton she can go no further.

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 5552
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/12/2011 5:54:25 PM   
witpqs

AFAIK a naval HQ provides a bonus above and beyond the count of naval support squads. Nice when you have one. If there's time, you could rail it in?

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 5553
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/12/2011 5:57:08 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

... If I understnad correctly, even naval support capability from an engineering support unit counts, not jsut HQ's...

Correct.

The Naval HQ has no magical healing power by itself. It is just an HQ. What a Naval HQ has in its favour is that it is composed of naval support squads. It is the naval support squads themselves which provide the additional repair points which in turn are applied to effecting ship repairs. For your purposes, any unit which incorporates naval support squads suffices.

Alfred

Post #: 5554
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/12/2011 6:22:42 PM   
witpqs

quote:

8.1.1 HEADQUARTERS

These are all support troops (the much-maligned “brass” sitting in the rear). However, these
rear-area troops earn their keep in War in the Pacific, Admiral’s Edition™ by providing large
numbers of support personnel to support other units and for construction and logistics tasks.
They give combat benefits to combat units who are within a certain range, generally the same
hex, and enable more bombers to fly Missions from bases under their control. A unit can benefit
from its HQ, of which there are six types:

» Command - Helps in several ways. They help in giving a bonus to ground
combat. If no Corps HQ is in range of a ground unit, the Command HQ can give
a bonus like a Corps HQ if it is in range of a ground unit. If there is a Corps HQ
within range of the battle, and the Command HQ is within 2 times its command
range of the battle, it can add up to an additional 90% bonus to the Assault
Value of an attacking force for odds calculations. The bonuses are impacted by
the leaderships rating of the commander of the HQs. Command HQs are also
important for air replacements and upgrades (see section 16.2.3 for details).

» Army - Helps with ground combat. Ground units in range can gain up to
a 10% bonus to their Assault Value (whether attacking or defending).

» Corps – Helps with ground combat. Ground units in range can gain up to

» Amphibious – Helps amphibious invasions suffer fewer losses.

» Naval – Helps to speed ship repair time.

» Air – Helps by allowing more aircraft to fly and allows more air units
to be based at a base with this type of HQ, coordinating aircraft
replacement/upgrades and supporting more groups at a base.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5555
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/12/2011 7:12:31 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

8.1.1 HEADQUARTERS

These are all support troops (the much-maligned “brass” sitting in the rear). However, these
rear-area troops earn their keep in War in the Pacific, Admiral’s Edition™ by providing large
numbers of support personnel to support other units and for construction and logistics tasks.
They give combat benefits to combat units who are within a certain range, generally the same
hex, and enable more bombers to fly Missions from bases under their control. A unit can benefit
from its HQ, of which there are six types:

» Command - Helps in several ways. They help in giving a bonus to ground
combat. If no Corps HQ is in range of a ground unit, the Command HQ can give
a bonus like a Corps HQ if it is in range of a ground unit. If there is a Corps HQ
within range of the battle, and the Command HQ is within 2 times its command
range of the battle, it can add up to an additional 90% bonus to the Assault
Value of an attacking force for odds calculations. The bonuses are impacted by
the leaderships rating of the commander of the HQs. Command HQs are also
important for air replacements and upgrades (see section 16.2.3 for details).

» Army - Helps with ground combat. Ground units in range can gain up to

» Corps – Helps with ground combat. Ground units in range can gain up to

» Amphibious – Helps amphibious invasions suffer fewer losses.

» Naval – Helps to speed ship repair time.

» Air – Helps by allowing more aircraft to fly and allows more air units
to be based at a base with this type of HQ, coordinating aircraft
replacement/upgrades and supporting more groups at a base.

Because of its naval support squads and the range that their benefit is extended compared to being in a different type of unit.

Alfred

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5556
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/13/2011 8:44:06 PM   
Cap Mandrake

****************October 16, 1942*****************

A Jap DD was snooping around by Exmouth and was attacked by SBD's from Carnavon. Yukaze got to try out her new rudder which worked really well. She also scared off some transports unloading at Exmouth.

Exmouth at 65% of level one. Carnavon at 2.6 level airfield. Jap carriers are on station about 400 mi NW of Exmouth trying to prevent any resupply of PH. They can stay there for 3 weeks if they want. We don't need to resupply PH becasue the Beta fixed the hoarding problem in one turn. Now we can turn loose 2 1/2 divisions worth of arty plus an Austrailian Medium Arty Regt.

PH airfield is repairing and might be operational so soem of the medium bombers at Meekathara and Geraldton switched to arifield missions. Broome at 65% runway damage and Wyndham at 100%. Wyndham is socked in so the B-24's will switch to Broome today.

Merauke fell so Catalinas are moving in today. Madang and Port Moresby under daily attack to keep the Torres Strait open.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5557
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/13/2011 10:44:16 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

We don't need to resupply PH becasue the Beta fixed the hoarding problem in one turn.

Woo-hoo!

Umm...doesn't the beta patch fix the borkulated supply draw too? You know, the one that allows you to draw supply in N. Australia across a 400-mile dirt path to feed 2.5 divisions plus Arty? I suspect that a good deal of your supply pathways would have to be reconfigured if this is the case.

Post #: 5558
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/13/2011 10:56:09 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

We don't need to resupply PH becasue the Beta fixed the hoarding problem in one turn.

Woo-hoo!

Umm...doesn't the beta patch fix the borkulated supply draw too? You know, the one that allows you to draw supply in N. Australia across a 400-mile dirt path to feed 2.5 divisions plus Arty? I suspect that a good deal of your supply pathways would have to be reconfigured if this is the case.

Had their been a dirt path from Meekathara to Port Hedland or even a mythical railway we would not have lost 3 carriers trying to get there. Had there been a previous fix for unit hoarding I dont think we would have lost any carriers.

102nd Engineer Bn. still has 16,500 tons of supply, down from 19,000 last turn. As long as we can make another supply run to PH when the carriers are ready, the landing force and PH will NOT be evicted with the force JJ has there now. Depending on the JJ supply/resupply situation, we may even be able to attack and take the place before the carriers come back.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5559
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/13/2011 11:26:31 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

quote:

quote:

Woo-hoo!

Had their been a dirt path from Meekathara to Port Hedland or even a mythical railway we would not have lost 3 carriers trying to get there. Had there been a previous fix for unit hoarding I dont think we would have lost any carriers.

102nd Engineer Bn. still has 16,500 tons of supply, down from 19,000 last turn. As long as we can make another supply run to PH when the carriers are ready, the landing force and PH will NOT be evicted with the force JJ has there now. Depending on the JJ supply/resupply situation, we may even be able to attack and take the place before the carriers come back.

Yes this is quite a problem in the land of Oz. I have never been able to draw supply north of Alice Springs even with the stock patch. I can tell you that the lack of an ability to move Oil, Fuel, Resources and Supplies greatly efffects the game. It effects not only operational supply but the strategic transport of supply, oil, and fuel. Prior to upgrading I lost TK's because fuel would not transfer along the rail lines, and of course submarines awaited to deliver their fate ..Now I unload in Perth and over time the Fuel and Oil makes it way to Melbourne and Sydney. A much more playable game.

Post #: 5560
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 12:04:09 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

quote:

quote:

Woo-hoo!

Yes this is quite a problem in the land of Oz. I have never been able to draw supply north of Alice Springs even with the stock patch. I can tell you that the lack of an ability to move Oil, Fuel, Resources and Supplies greatly efffects the game. It effects not only operational supply but the strategic transport of supply, oil, and fuel. Prior to upgrading I lost TK's because fuel would not transfer along the rail lines, and of course submarines awaited to deliver their fate ..Now I unload in Perth and over time the Fuel and Oil makes it way to Melbourne and Sydney. A much more playable game.

Not my experience with stock patch i version. Supply in and around the Darwin area, via mythical railway or mythical dirt path flows with alacrity.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 5561
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 12:52:12 AM   
USSAmerica

That's not supply flow, CB, it's proper planning for your ThreadWar LYB's coming to visit.  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5562
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 1:16:44 AM   
Cap Mandrake

I think it has been pretty well established that the mysterious "supply walkabout" phenomenon in the Katherine only applies to the LYB's.

That is how they were able to land in Wyndham and walk across the desert and cut off Darwin in WWII(c)

I think it is secret code..sort of a sleath, terrestrial "Zero bonus".

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 5563
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 4:10:50 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I think it has been pretty well established that the mysterious "supply walkabout" phenomenon in the Katherine only applies to the LYB's.

For real? I hadn't heard that before...

Post #: 5564
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 1:55:32 PM   
sprior

Captain Binns Minor MC (promoted and decorated for the bicycle tyre affair in Malaya); I say, you there, American chappie!
PFC Ramon Leon: Wadda ya want bud?
Captain Binns Minor MC: Are all these crates really yours? It's just that well you know, we seem to be missing some of our gear.
PFC Leon: We found it all on the beach. It's ours
Captain Binns Minor MC: Well that's as maybe, do you mind if I look inside?
PFC Leon: Look, it says 105 ammo and that's what's in the box buddy.
Captain Binns Minor: 105? Oh, you chaps are using that god awful French system, it'll never catch on in Blighty you know. I'll just take a quiclk shufti. (Opens nearest crate) Oh, I say, this one's full of bully beef.... and this one bren ammo. I rather think you have the wrong crates my good man.
PFC Leon: Yeah, okay bud.
Captain Binns Minor: Look, I'll have my quarterbloke talk to your quarter bloke and we'll have this all sorted out in a jiffy, what?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5565
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 2:27:53 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Here is the thing. Why does it always have to be the Puertorriqueno with the street vernacular and involvement in suspected illegal activity? Why can't it be a Jew? That's what I want to know. I'll tell you why. You see, the Puertorriqueno is stereotyped as ill-educated and racially inclined to crime. Plus, all the writers are Jewish and especially the publsihers are Jews and they are not going to allow something bad to be said about the Jews.

We, the members of las Fuerzas Armadas de Liberación Nacional Puertorriqueña, hereby post notice that the Jew headquaters of this organization will be attacked (if we can find out where it is) or we might hire an attorney too.

Commandante Once, FALNP*

PS..What is a "tyre"?

* The orgnaization is aware that this is hard to pronounce. We are working on a new title but we just spent $300 on letterhead so it will stay until we are done with our letter-writing campaign.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 5566
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 2:38:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********Naval Liason Office, SWPAC HQ, Brisbane, OCtober 17, 1942********

CPO Sharkey: Goddmanit Lefkowitz, did I not tell you I wanted the "sunk/damaged vessels report" updated by Oh seven hundred?

Chalkboard guy who can barely hide his resentment at his low station despite his superior intellect but who consoles himself with a tell-all war diary which he hopes to have published by his uncle who owns a publishing house in New York:
No, Chief. It IS done. There are no reported losses.

CPO Sharkey: You're ****tin' me?

Post #: 5567
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 2:41:45 PM   
CT Grognard

quote:

Here is the thing. Why does it always have to be the Puertorriqueno with the street vernacular and involvement in suspected illegal activity? Why can't it be a Jew? That's what I want to know. I'll tell you why. You see, the Puertorriqueno is stereotyped as ill-educated and racially inclined to crime. Plus, all the writers are Jewish and especially the publsihers are Jews and they are not going to allow something bad to be said about the Jews.

We, the members of las Fuerzas Armadas de Liberación Nacional Puertorriqueña, hereby post notice that the Jew headquaters of this organization will be attacked (if we can find out where it is) or we might hire an attorney too.

Commandante Once, FALNP*

PS..What is a "tyre"?

* The orgnaization is aware that this is hard to pronounce. We are working on a new title but we just spent $300 on letterhead so it will stay until we are done with our letter-writing campaign.

Yowza! Holy Toledo!

(You do realise that $300 in 1942 is equivalent to $4,000 in 2011 - I believe your Puertorriquenos were overcharged by that Jewish copywriter whose services they engaged!)

Post #: 5568
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 3:02:14 PM   
CT Grognard

Speaking of which.

The unit cost for a B-17E in World War II was apparently just over $238,000.

That equates to about $3.25 million.

That's actually not that expensive if you think about it? If you bear in mind the unit costs of attack aircraft in use today?

(in reply to CT Grognard)
Post #: 5569
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 3:19:34 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**********Secret HQ, FALNP, Nueva Ork*********

Pedro Albizu Campos, "El Jefe": Tres cientos dolares? ESTUPIDO! Necesitamos un abogado...........

Post #: 5570
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 4:27:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

* The orgnaization is aware that this is hard to pronounce.

Not nearly as hard to pronounce as "Orgnaization". Seriously: "Oh-Err-Guh-Nay-Zay-Shun". Whew!

Post #: 5571
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 4:30:22 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Captain Binns Minor MC (promoted and decorated for the bicycle tyre affair in Malaya)

Captain Binns, eh? I understand that he made quite a name for himself falling off his bike throughout the UK later in life. If memory suits, he damaged his sandwich in one particular episode and had to have it repaired.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 5572
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 4:30:25 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: CT Grognard

Speaking of which.

The unit cost for a B-17E in World War II was apparently just over $238,000.

That equates to about $3.25 million.

That's actually not that expensive if you think about it? If you bear in mind the unit costs of attack aircraft in use today?

.."Fuddy Duddy" went up for sale for about $3.5 Million. in 2005 ..

The real cost of a B-17 is not the Sticker price . they require lots of love and care relected in aviation support and supplies to keep them flying. About $5K per hour in 2011 terms ..

Ok back to the war ...

Post #: 5573
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 4:41:06 PM   
sprior

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Captain Binns Minor MC (promoted and decorated for the bicycle tyre affair in Malaya)

Captain Binns, eh? I understand that he made quite a name for himself falling off his bike throughout the UK later in life. If memory suits, he damaged his sandwich in one particular episode and had to have it repaired.

Yes, but the cost of the marmite was covered by insurance.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5574
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 4:41:43 PM   
witpqs

It could be an Irishman who was accepted as an Italian mobster hijacking trucks as they leave the port. Okay, Okay, in the movie it was trucks leaving the airport, but you get the idea. And the thing is, it was a true story about that Irishman who was an Italian mobster and he was played by an Irishman with an Italian screen name! DeNiro.

Post #: 5575
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 5:47:52 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

.."Fuddy Duddy" went up for sale for about $3.5 Million. in 2005 ..

The real cost of a B-17 is not the Sticker price . they require lots of love and care relected in aviation support and supplies to keep them flying. About $5K per hour in 2011 terms ..

Ok back to the war ...

My neighbor bought Fuddy Duddy. It flew over my house (and his) about 3 weeks ago with a B-25 chase plane. The tail is pointed bright yellow and is HUGE. It looks like a flying tail with the rest of the plane stuck on as an afterthought. I am pretty sure it does not have a muffler either. It sounded like they were being gentle on the engines because it sounded like they were barely turning over.

I saw they guy on the toll road yesterday in his Lincoln with his driver. There are two toll road exits. One saves about 50 cents but you have to drive past the unwashed near the Target store. That is where I got off. As a social experiment, I watched where his driver exited. Anyone want to guess?

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 5576
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 6:02:16 PM   
Chickenboy

I don't know, Cap'n. Seems as though your neighbor, being one of those 1%ers for whom we can blame for all our societal ills, should want to increase his day-to-day contact with the teeming masses in order to show that he's a real Joe, just like them. Maybe he'll have an assistant do it for him. Those masses can be messy when they're teeming.

Post #: 5577
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 6:24:43 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Nope...he has been beat up pretty badly by the real estate crunch and then there is all that B-17 gas. He is not in the Forbes 400 any longer.

As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure, WE, the disciples of AE/WITP, are the 1%.

We may even be the 0.1%

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5578
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 6:32:49 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Nope...he has been beat up pretty badly by the real estate crunch and then there is all that B-17 gas. He is not in the Forbes 400 any longer.

As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure, WE, the disciples of AE/WITP, are the 1%.

We may even be the 0.1%

I keep telling people that I am not part of the 99% the campers up in NYC are "advocating for." Now, I know why, I'm part of the 0.1%.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 5579
RE: Allied TF Behaviour - 10/14/2011 7:03:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 5580
Page:   <<   < prev  184 185 [186] 187 188   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Allied TF Behaviour Page: <<   < prev  184 185 [186] 187 188   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI