Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Before teleprompters

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Before teleprompters Page: <<   < prev  197 198 [199] 200 201   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/16/2011 9:34:14 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Which one of you idiot savant pinheads can remember the value of Planck's constant? We can solve this thing!

Hey, I'm no savant anything...

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 5941
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/16/2011 9:36:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

****************Nov 5************

Admiral Lord Sprior lobbed a couple of artillery rounds at PH and guess what..........

Defending units:
4th Ind. Engineer Regiment
4th Infantry Regiment
65th Brigade
77th Infantry Regiment
56th Recon Regiment
56th Engineer Regiment
5th Division
6th Guards Division
30th Fld AA Gun Co

22nd Air Flotilla
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
9th Field AF Construction Battalion
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
51st JNAF AF Unit

I believe the bolded units are new as is one of the combat engineer regiments and one infantry regiment? oddly, there is no counterbattery fire.

Post #: 5942
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/16/2011 9:52:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**************Nov. 5 (cont)****************

Chokai again bombarded Exmouth and it seems both Allied cruiser forces turned tail (else Admiral Lord Sprior ordered them back toward Geraldton). 2 planes lost on the ground and the damage to ground units looks bad although it wasn't born out in the game file last time. Naval strike raids from Carnavon landed one 500 lbr on Nagato. The carriers found a transport taffy bringing supplies only to Exmouth, and hit 3 AK's with one bomb each, losing a couple of planes to the partial CAP.

Bomber raids on PH airfield were very effective. No LYB cap. Ground attack raids at PH also very effective, with no bombers lost.

Post #: 5943
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/16/2011 9:56:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Which one of you idiot savant pinheads can remember the value of Planck's constant? We can solve this thing!

Hey, I'm no savant anything...

Yeah, who ya callin' a savant, pal?!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5944
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/17/2011 7:45:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

JJ has now 63K LYB's at PH. Runway at Exmouth only about 20% damaged. It is hard to do much damage to hard-pack dirt. New P-39 squadron flies in and the RAAF gets a break. If they want to trade P-39's and Kittyhawks for carrier-based Zeroes and Kates...bring it on! Also, a new B-24 squadron moves to Geraldton to add some payload for the new Jap division at PH.

Army regt begins loading at Fiji for Tanna today.

A nice Persian lady and her husband bought the place next door. I wouldn't describe her as hot but she is better looking than me. They hired a crew from Morelia to trim the trees. In their exuberance they sliced off about 15 feet of an 8 inch branch from the 250 year old "legacy" oak that is on my property. I was a little ticked but they didn't know any bettter so I stopped myself form being a complete a-hole upon our first meeting.

I warned them about Frau Braun and the HOA. If they saw them cutting off a big branch of an old oak I am pretty sure there would be jail time. As per the HOA rules I suggested they check with me first and seek advice from a certified arborist.

She answered, "Oh, I'm pretty sure these guys are arborists".

I look over, there is a guy with a "Maui '92" T-shirt and a machete standing in the bed of a 20 year old Nissan mini pick up with a different paint color on every panel. I nodded politely.

Post #: 5945
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/17/2011 8:43:02 PM   
zuluhour

something like this?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5946
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/17/2011 9:06:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

something like this?

Well...that's close but like I said, his shirt said "Maui '92" and he had a machete not a spear.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 5947
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/17/2011 9:29:35 PM   
perkinh

quote:

ORIGINAL: zuluhour

something like this?

Well...that's close but like I said, his shirt said "Maui '92" and he had a machete not a spear.

This is the exact reason why your pilots wont fly.

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine

Post #: 5948
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/17/2011 9:48:29 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Oh wait...you mean the neighbor not the arborist? I will admit to some ignorance of Persian culture.

I am decided. I am going home and offering my services as a henna tattoo artist. Wish me luck.

(in reply to perkinh)
Post #: 5949
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/18/2011 3:53:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

OK..this has been bothering me. I found Christmas Is. with no superscript (I presume this is either Christmas Is. "0" or "1" and it is just left off by convention) and I found Christams Is. 10, but I can't find either 1-9 or 2-9 (see parenthetical remarks above). What if the Japs are building these up and I don't even know where they are?

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5950
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/18/2011 3:58:24 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

OK..this has been bothering me. I found Christmas Is. with no superscript (I presume this is either Christmas Is. "0" or "1" and it is just left off by convention) and I found Christams Is. 10, but I can't find either 1-9 or 2-9 (see parenthetical remarks above). What if the Japs are building these up and I don't even know where they are?

I thought that was IO vs. 10 ...like Christmas Island Indian Ocean ..actually I beleive this should be changed to Happy Holidays Island especially in the Indian Ocean area where many diverse conflicting religions might be offended ...

Post #: 5951
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/18/2011 6:11:52 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

I thought that was IO vs. 10 ...like Christmas Island Indian Ocean ..actually I beleive this should be changed to Happy Holidays Island especially in the Indian Ocean area where many diverse conflicting religions might be offended ...

Nonsense. The 'Holi' in 'Holidays' suggests a hallowed or religious importance benefitting those that choose to believe. To minimize any conflict, it should be changed to "GNN-RAPIST" [Gender Neutral Non-Religion Affiliated Pleasant Island Setting, Tropical]. I can't imagine that would inflame anyone's sensitivities.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 5952
Aboard RNN KIX - 12/20/2011 2:51:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**************Aboard RNN KIX, 30 NE of Port Hedland, 01:20, Nov. 5, 1942(c)*************

The Captain stands in the sail. He has attacked a large, damaged and burning enemy ship on the surface with two torpedoes in poor weather. They now close on the target. There is small white shape ahead. He takes a chance and flicks on the searchlight. It is a lifeboat, perhaps 20ft in lenght, wooden. There is no sign of life. Indeed a lifeless figure hangs over the bow, partly obscuring some letters in English and Japanese. He strains to see. "N...A" A lifeless arm hides the third letter. "A...T...O".

He stiffins (his back I mean..don't get any ideas) with electricity!

"It's Nagato lads! We've sunk Nagato! Send this. Have engaged and have heavily damaged Nagato at <looks at watch> Zero-One-Twenty hours. Our position 30 nm NE Port Hedland. Out. Send it! send it now!'

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5953
RE: Aboard RNN KIX - 12/20/2011 3:07:21 PM   
USSAmerica

Nice!  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 5954
RE: Aboard RNN KIX - 12/20/2011 3:29:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**************Aboard RNN KIX, 30 NE of Port Hedland, 01:23, Nov. 5, 1942(c)*************

An eager voice reports to the Captain.

"Com reprots message sent, sir!"

"Well done, lad." A great sense of satisfaction at the performance of his crew sweeps over the Captain. It hasn't been easy, operating thousands of miles from home with loved ones under Nazi rule. He has had to be counselor and Captain. If the crew is half as excited as he, this should really help morale. The boat has crossed the bow of the drifting lifeboat. He flicks on the light again to examine the starboard side. More letters. "M....A....R....U". Gears gring to a halt in his brain, then a sickening feeling comes to him...."SCHIJT!"

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 12/20/2011 3:31:58 PM >

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 5955
RE: Aboard RNN KIX - 12/20/2011 3:34:12 PM   
USSAmerica

Mike

Post #: 5956
RE: Aboard RNN KIX - 12/20/2011 3:34:30 PM   
USSAmerica

Where is the "hook, line, and sinker" smiley?  

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 5957
RE: Aboard RNN KIX - 12/20/2011 3:39:23 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

Where is the "hook, line, and sinker" smiley?

There....we're even

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 5958
RE: Aboard RNN KIX - 12/20/2011 3:43:41 PM   
USSAmerica

Fair trade.  

Mike

Post #: 5959
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/20/2011 8:16:35 PM   
Cap Mandrake

****************Nov. 6****************

Oz: JJ attacked at PH with his new reinforced division. They achieved 1:1, but not by much. We inflicted superior casualties. Nagato and Yamashiro bombarded 32nd ID before the battle. Our bombers hit them pretty well as well. The airfield runway damage is in the high 70's and there is no CAP.

Ground combat at Port Hedland (57,129)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 42164 troops, 381 guns, 208 vehicles, Assault Value = 1338

Defending force 23572 troops, 582 guns, 434 vehicles, Assault Value = 695

Japanese adjusted assault: 635

Allied adjusted defense: 505

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), preparation(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
2840 casualties reported
Squads: 62 destroyed, 43 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 35 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 54 disabled
Guns lost 22 (1 destroyed, 21 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1409 casualties reported
Squads: 15 destroyed, 48 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 35 disabled
Engineers: 60 destroyed, 22 disabled
Guns lost 37 (6 destroyed, 31 disabled)
Vehicles lost 18 (5 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Assaulting units:
65th Brigade
56th Recon Regiment
5th Division
4th Infantry Regiment
56th Engineer Regiment
77th Infantry Regiment
4th Ind. Engineer Regiment
6th Guards Division
2nd Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
9th Field AF Construction Battalion
30th Fld AA Gun Co
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
22nd Air Flotilla
51st JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
102nd Combat Engineer Regiment
22nd (East African) Brigade
32nd Infantry Division
2nd British Division
7th RAN Base Force
34th Aviation Base Force
14th USN Naval Construction Battalion
10th USN Naval Construction Battalion
2nd Medium Regiment

They lost 63 combat squads. I don't think they can manage a 1:1 if they attack again promptly but there is no certainty on that. Just in case, all the 17's and mediums at Meekathara and the B-24's (half of which are now at Geraldton) will attack LYB ground troops at PH. The Jap carriers disappeared...for now. Aoba, Myoki and Oi bombarded Exmouth, arriving before our crusiers. They sunk four AM's in an ASW group and 3 small AK's and a PG. They drove the runway damage up to 44%. In response, B-26's from Carnavon hit Oi and left her dead in the water.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 12/20/2011 8:18:49 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5960
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/21/2011 3:51:20 AM   
perkinh

Why did they not bring a Corps/Army HQ i wonder? If you are going to invest this much in manpower and supplies, would you not be best served by at least having the boost of a HQ unit. I think a HQ unit would have put them over the top, and at least helped the disorganization and morale.

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine

Post #: 5961
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/21/2011 4:53:08 AM   
witpqs

The little buggars are certainly trying hard!

(in reply to perkinh)
Post #: 5962
RE: Aboard RNN KIX - 12/21/2011 12:27:44 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

**************Aboard RNN KIX, 30 NE of Port Hedland, 01:23, Nov. 5, 1942(c)*************

An eager voice reports to the Captain.

"Com reprots message sent, sir!"

"Well done, lad." A great sense of satisfaction at the performance of his crew sweeps over the Captain. It hasn't been easy, operating thousands of miles from home with loved ones under Nazi rule. He has had to be counselor and Captain. If the crew is half as excited as he, this should really help morale. The boat has crossed the bow of the drifting lifeboat. He flicks on the light again to examine the starboard side. More letters. "M....A....R....U". Gears gring to a halt in his brain, then a sickening feeling comes to him...."SCHIJT!"

I love this AAR. You have a great gift for the absurd, Cap Mandrake.

But shouldn't the Captain's exclamation have been 'Madre de Dios?'

Post #: 5963
RE: Aboard RNN KIX - 12/21/2011 2:09:27 PM   
CT Grognard

Cap Mandrake is spot on that the captain of the K.IX, being a Dutch boat, would have likely used the exclamation "Schijt!"

The real-life K.IX was indeed a very unlucky boat.

She was heavily damaged during the night of 31 May/1 June 1942 in a Japanese midget submarine attack of Sydney Harbour.

The K.IX and the K.XII had been offered by the Dutch government-in-exile for use by the Royal Australian Navy on 30 April 1942.

Just after midnight a torpedo intended for the cruiser USS Chicago passed under K.IX which was moored on the east side of the Garden Island Naval Base alongside HMAS Kuttabul, an accommodation ferry. The torpedo detonated against the sea wall, with the concussion ripping the bottom out of the Kuttabul and rolling the submarine K.IX onto her beam-ends and lifting her diesel engines off of their beds and also damaging the aft batteries. Her forward superstructure was also crushed when the Kuttabul rolled over and hit her while sinking.

The Royal Netherlands Navy made a decision that repairing the 20-year-old K.IX would be pointless since it would not be able to support the war effort effectively, and that they needed more trained submarine crew in the United Kingdom for the new submarines being built there.

On 26 June 1942 the Dutch government-in-exile gave permission to the Royal Netherlands Navy to decommission the K.IX and send the crew to the UK.

Despite this, the Royal Australian Navy decided to continue repair work on the K.IX and it was manned by Royal Navy and United States Navy volunteers as officers and completed with Royal Australian Navy volunteers. The K.IX was formally stricken on 27 August 1942.

Repair work continued on her and her main battery was replaced by one salvaged from the scrapped K.VIII. Although the Sydney dockyard installed the main battery, nobody carried out any tests on it to see if it was safe for installation. On 22 June 1943 K.IX was renamed HMAS K9 and commissioned to the Royal Australian Navy. Originally planned to complete its refit on 5 July 1943, more defects were detected and its introduction slipped back first to September and then (due to engine trouble) to November 1943.

In January 1944 a further mechanical defect developed with the starboard main motor becoming inoperative, but due to repair dockyard workload it could not be repaired for at least a month. The K9's commander decided to complete his week of exercises with the boat using only the port main motor.

On 22 January 1944 disaster struck the hapless vessel again - the defective starboard main motor reacted catastrophically with the poorly ventilated and maintained main battery - last overhauled five years before - resulting in a massive battery explosion in the aft section of K9's main battery. 35 battery cells were damaged, 29 cells were cracked, and the battery tank fittings and plates were buckled.

Due to this damage and numerous other defects, a decision was taken by the RAN to pay off the K9. She was decommissioned on 31 March 1944 and returned to the Royal Netherlands Navy as K.IX.

A decision was made to convert K.IX into an oil hulk, which conversion finished in May 1945. Among other things, her conning tower is removed.

While being towed out of Sydney harbour by the Dutch minesweeper Abraham Crijnssen bound for Darwin, the towline broke sometime during the night of 7/8 June and K.IX started drifting ashore. The Abraham Crijnssen only noticed this at sunrise on June 8; an air search spotted the K9 only late that afternoon, not yet stranded, but the search had to be called off because it was getting dark. On the morning of June 9 the K9 was spotted again, but by this time had wrecked on Fiona Beach, Seal Rocks, about 3 miles WSW of Sugar Loaf Point. The Abraham Crijnssen tried to tow the hulk off the beach but due to stormy conditions had to give up.

The Royal Netherlands Navy took the decision to abandon her.

On 20 July 1945 the "Commonwealth Disposals Commission" sold the wreck, still stranded on the beach, for scrap metal to two Sydney-based engineering partners for £985 who intended to refloat her. Locals had already started removing the diesel engine from her manually. The new owners recovered the rest of the estimated 126 tons of diesel fuel but not the hull since it was buried too deeply in the sand to move.

Later locals strip the internal hull of copper pipe and other valuable metals. It appears that the hull of the stranded submarine was largely intact, and locals recall being able to walk the full length of the deck in 1969, and partially as late as 1984.

The beach where she stranded was later renamed "Submarine Beach" in honour of the loss.

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 5964
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/21/2011 3:56:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

It really did happen in the game. KIX attacked Nagato Maru

Interesting story about KIX. I had read about the midget submarine attack that sank the vessel being used as a dorm, bit I didn't know KIX was damaged too. The subsequent salvage efforts sound like me and my inability to not let go of an old car, even though the driver's side door is frozen closed and and the turn signal clicks at about 20 Hz because I replaced the original condensor with an old VW part instead.

As for the Captain realizing belatedly that he had just signaled HQ of the sinking of Nagato even though he had attacked Nagato Maru...I think anyone would skip right by using the Lord's name in vain and go right to the four letter words of OLd Germanic origin.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5965
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/21/2011 4:00:50 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

It really did happen in the game. KIX attacked Nagato Maru

Interesting story about KIX. I had read about the midget submarine attack that sank the vessel being used as a dorm, bit I didn't know KIX was damaged too. The subsequent salvage efforts sound like me and my inability to not let go of an old car, even though the driver's side door is frozen closed and and the turn signal clicks at about 20 Hz because I replaced the original condensor with an old VW part instead.

As for the Captain realizing belatedly that he had just signaled HQ of the sinking of Nagato even though he had attacked Nagato Maru...I think anyone would skip right by using the Lord's name in vain and go right to the four letter words of OLd Germanic origin.

Or many pilots' last epitaph ... Oh! SCHIJT!!! ..

Post #: 5966
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/21/2011 4:17:18 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**************Nov. 7***************

Oz: JJ attacked again at PH, after mercilessly pounding our troops with balsa-wood Nells. Almost all of our bombers were on ground attack duty. Again today, there is no LYB CAP. Our B-25's went after Yamato which is standing guard at PH. We failed to get any hits. The LYB attack came off at 1:2 and they suffered greater than 2:1 casualties with heavy inantry losses. They have to be getting discouraged with 3 1/2 divisions there.

CBI: JJ swept over Ledo today. Losses were even.

Post #: 5967
A pran is hatched.... - 12/21/2011 7:06:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********01;20, Nov. 7, 1942(c), SW tip Rottnest Isrand*********

A well tanned IJN officer: <steps out of rubber raft> Hero Miro!

Young man in fine linen slacks: How the Hell are you Ito-san?

A well tanned IJN officer: Ito good. Ito find new girfriend. Frores gir. Rearry short. Frores gir come up to Ito waist. Ito rearry rike.

Young man in fine linen slacks: Goddamnit Ito-san! That makes me really happy. Nothin' like a waist high woman. What can I do for you, old friend?

A well tanned IJN officer: It Yamashita. Yamashita want herp at Port Hedrand.

Young man in fine linen slacks: You boys need more than help. You need a magician or a wizzard or something.

A well tanned IJN officer: Yes, exactary. Yamashita want Imperiar Wizzard.

Young man in fine linen slacks: Can do, Ito-san, but that is going to cost. I think he is Indiana.

A well tanned IJN officer: Firropino gord?

Young man in fine linen slacks: Fillipino gold, my friend....

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5968
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/21/2011 7:19:07 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5969
RE: Before teleprompters - 12/21/2011 7:27:20 PM   
Chickenboy

I wonder if they'll need a "Grand Dragon" to offset their setbacks in China?

Post #: 5970
Page:   <<   < prev  197 198 [199] 200 201   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Before teleprompters Page: <<   < prev  197 198 [199] 200 201   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI