Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: With the Wren Detachment

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: With the Wren Detachment Page: <<   < prev  221 222 [223] 224 225   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/21/2012 9:45:24 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

"moistened bint"

Can we say that here?

It was in the Monty Python Holy Grail, which is PG ..I think that passes the test ..

Great job holding Port Hedland .. only a matter of time now for the LYB to pack in ..or bring more stuff ..

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 6661
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/21/2012 10:34:20 PM   
Cap Mandrake

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

quote:

"moistened bint"

Can we say that here?

It was in the Monty Python Holy Grail, which is PG ..I think that passes the test ..

Oh, OK, the Lady of the Lake thing. Whew! I am not going to say what I was thinking.

quote:

Great job holding Port Hedland .. only a matter of time now for the LYB to pack in ..or bring more stuff ..

Thank you, although the original plan was to take as it did originally belong to his majesty. Even so I think Rord Admiral Fabertong is getting frustrated. This message was recieived by shortwave.

"I've been trying to be polite....but Allies it really is time you grabbed your coat and left PH.....if you stay much longer.....we won't invite you back."

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 2/21/2012 10:35:19 PM >

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 6662
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/22/2012 12:30:11 PM   
Itdepends

Pity you can't fly any troops in to PH but that would trigger a shock attack I assume as you don't hold the base. Actually that's the main problem- you still don't hold the base. What's the plan guys- when are you going to get some reinforcements in there? Finish the buggers off.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 6663
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/22/2012 4:27:10 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Pity you can't fly any troops in to PH but that would trigger a shock attack I assume as you don't hold the base. Actually that's the main problem- you still don't hold the base. What's the plan guys- when are you going to get some reinforcements in there? Finish the buggers off.

What! Finish them and end all the carnage??? You, sir, are a "killjoy".
Port Hedland is their Guadalcanal and in the battle of attrition the Allies will win. The drama and tension are at the tipping point of the battles so the longer it goes on the more we get rivetted to it. To seriously weaken Japan and end the war more quickly the carnage must continue as long as possible at this place!

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 6664
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/22/2012 4:59:24 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

What! Finish them and end all the carnage??? You, sir, are a "killjoy".
Port Hedland is their Guadalcanal and in the battle of attrition the Allies will win. The drama and tension are at the tipping point of the battles so the longer it goes on the more we get rivetted to it. To seriously weaken Japan and end the war more quickly the carnage must continue as long as possible at this place!

I might disagree .. the ability to bring to bear the brunt of the air assests is most difficult here. There are much better places to attrite the IJ within range of level 7 - 9 airbases. I do rather think the Cap has employed a judicious use of force here pining the IJ into a contest of attrition, but this does not mean that this is the best place to do so ..

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6665
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/22/2012 8:43:24 PM   
sprior

quote:

"moistened bint"

Can we say that here?

Yes.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 6666
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/22/2012 9:00:03 PM   
witpqs

The Allied ground forces at PH are still in danger and require near constant help from the air and sea.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6667
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/23/2012 1:01:00 PM   
Itdepends

And a lot of the attrition I've been seeing has been the allied ground forces getting turned into hamburger. Perhaps I missed the KB being sunk at some point? There's some good bases in range (Meekatharra and that other one) for 4E's which I believe they're using.

Still the knife edge does make for an entertaining read.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 6668
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/23/2012 2:58:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*************Dec 2, 1942(c)************

Oz: Jap fighter cover over PH is finally being ground to dust but it is still apparently enough to deter the medium bombers from attacking. Some P-40K's sweep in from Exmouth and then the B-24's come in and plasterize the place.

Morning Air attack on Port Hedland , at 57,129

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 12 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 2
A6M3 Zero x 1

Allied aircraft
B-24D Liberator x 30

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 damaged
A6M2 Zero: 5 destroyed on ground
A6M3 Zero: 1 damaged
A6M3 Zero: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-46-II Dinah: 1 destroyed on ground
B5N2 Kate: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 1 damaged

Japanese ground losses:
94 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 13

Admiral Lord Sprior sent some transport planes to Exmouth to fly in supplies to PH. Does this work when we don't own a contested hex? Our boys are already running low on supply again. Another transport group of AK's is going in. Here is a quite capable JJ surface group loitering near Broome.

Japanese Ships
DD Isonami
CA Haguro
CA Atago
DD Arashio
DD Oshio
DD Natsushio
DD Makinami
DD Akizuki
DD Fuyo
DD Yamakaze
DD Murasame
DD Natsugumo

No ground attack at PH today. One or two days more is the pattern. A raid on Broome is scrubbbed for the day. A raid on Corunna finds an AA unit. Evidently the defences there have been weakened, perhaps making an air assault possible.

Afternoon Air attack on 31st Fld AA Gun Co , at 57,131 (Corunna Downs)

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Allied aircraft
Beaufort V x 19
Beaufort VIII x 9

No Allied losses

Japanese ground losses:
8 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Burma: Jap 2nd Tank Div moving on Akyab.

San Diego: Shore Patrol had a busy night. Marine recruits from the Recruit Depot got in a big fight with <insert name of any other entity here>

New York: Jimmy "the fish" Positano was lost at sea (well the East River really) when his flotation device failed.

China: I'm not sure where this is but it can't be good for us.

Ground combat at Sining (80,32)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 39459 troops, 412 guns, 143 vehicles, Assault Value = 1197

Defending force 13714 troops, 74 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 375

Japanese adjusted assault: 1078

Allied adjusted defense: 346

Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 0)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Sining !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
933 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 95 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 10 (2 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
3953 casualties reported
Squads: 122 destroyed, 83 disabled
Non Combat: 217 destroyed, 49 disabled
Engineers: 38 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 18 (8 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Units retreated 7

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
35th Division
36th Division
32nd Division
15th Ind.Medium Field Artillery Regiment
14th Medium Field Artillery Regiment
52nd Ind.Mtn.Gun Battalion
12th Army
29th Ind. Engineer Regiment

Defending units:
82nd Chinese Corps
5th Chinese Base Force
8th War Area
17th Chinese Corps
6th Chinese Base Force
40th Chinese Corps
8th Chinese Base Force

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 6669
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/23/2012 3:27:53 PM   
sprior

quote:

only a matter of time now for the LYB to pack in ..or bring more stuff

Either works, at least it keeps their attention away from Darwin.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 6670
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/23/2012 4:11:46 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

quote:

11:30 Nov 27....

A fresh Nagato and Furutaka do serious damage but Nagato is dinged up as well.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Hedland at 57,129, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Shell hits 10, heavy fires, heavy damage
CA Furutaka, Shell hits 1
CL Kuma
DD Hibiki
DD Shikinami
DD Asagiri, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
DD Sagiri, Shell hits 3, on fire

Allied Ships
BB Colorado, Shell hits 2, on fire
BB Pennsylvania, Shell hits 11, heavy fires
BB Idaho, Shell hits 10, heavy fires, heavy damage
BB New Mexico, Shell hits 2, on fire
BB Revenge, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Mahan, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Bulmer, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Jupiter
DD Norman, Shell hits 2, heavy fires

Awesome victory, Cap , but I see the good ship Hibiki emerged unscathed.

Somehow I bet Cuttlefish has a small smile on his face right about now...

It wasn't just Hibiki that came out fo that well. Nagato really punished several Allied BB's. One may even sink and they all are going to be in the yard for some time.

Radar, more guns and all, the allies had 1/2 the hits [17] that the Japanese got - 33 + 1 torp. Having a couple of knots speed advantage really does give better firing position and hit probability. Sometimes I think the game engine gives a little too much boost to the chances of a slower ship getting hit.

Nagato certainly does not have more guns than 5 BB's combined, even if you throw in the CA. I think all the Allied BB's had radar. Still, it was worth the trade on the Jap carriers. We already have 3 broken BB's en route the West coast. Happy times in the repair yards.

Actually at this stage of the war. One of the best and safest places for old American BBs is the repair yard. It sort of delivers you from the temptation to squander them. .... A blessing in disguise?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 6671
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/23/2012 4:46:51 PM   
BBfanboy

Re: that AA unit that you attacked, the lack of damage to your aircraft and the number of disabled troops make me think it was in movement mode. I have never been able to achieve that many disables on an AA unit when it was in combat mode. For some reason our pilots flinch when being shot at ...

Post #: 6672
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/23/2012 11:32:58 PM   
bradfordkay

"New York: Jimmy "the fish" Positano was lost at sea (well the East River really) when his flotation device failed."

It didn't fail. It performed exactly the way it was supposed to perform. Jimmy was just sucker enough to beleive that it was a flotation device...

"Burma: Jap 2nd Tank Div moving on Akyab."

Don't you mean the Japanese 2nd L(ightly) A(rmored) T(racked) V(ehicle) Division?

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6673
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/24/2012 4:00:36 AM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

only a matter of time now for the LYB to pack in ..or bring more stuff

Either works, at least it keeps their attention away from Darwin.

I do think the decision point will be reached soon ... as we know Hitler did not do such a good job in North Africa in '43 in RL .. refusing to reinforce when it was advantagious to do so, and then at the last second sending all kinds of troops to surrender to Patton .. we can only hope for such foolishness ...

In the mean time the moistened bints entertain the King's finest boys ...

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6674
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/24/2012 4:43:47 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Air losses from the previous turn.

Fighters losses 42 Jap/35 Allied counting op losses but not including the Jap airframes destroyed on the ground. This also includes a Jap fighter ambush over Burma. The P-40K's sweeping from Exmouth are a useful substitute for P-38's. I think JJ is running short on Tojos in Oz as well.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 2/24/2012 4:50:58 AM >

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 6675
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/24/2012 4:24:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******4th Meeting, Plenary Interagency Planning Committee For the Operation that Shall Not Be Named (PIPCOSNOBEN), Brisbane, Dec 2, 1942(c)*******

Lt. Gen. Doubleday, SWPAC PIPCOSNOBEN Liason: ..Right, so it's decided then, the Australian divisions will be at 50% planning readiness in 20 days so we should set D-day at or about Dec 22. Questions?

Captain Jack, USN: Why don't we make it the 24th. They will be ill-prepared on a noliday.

Col. Edson, SouPac: That doesn't make sense.

Lt. Gen. Doubleday, SWPAC PIPCOSNOBEN Liason: Just a moment, Colonel, I think Captain Jack has a point. Didn't Washington do that at Trenton?

Col. Edson, SouPac: Well, yes, but I am pretty sure the Hessians weren't Shinto boys. We would have to attack them on a Shinto holiday..or Budhist..maybe the Emperor's birthday.

Captain Jack, USN: Good point. I move we table this item until we have staff find out when the Emperor's birthday is.

Lt. Gen. Doubleday, SWPAC PIPCOSNOBEN Liason: SPLENDID IDEA, CAPTAIN!

Col. Edson, SouPac: Sir, with all due respect, setting the date for D-Day isn't an agenda item it the reason we are here. If we are to land in 20 days we will need to start embarkation on or about Dec 15th. The boys in Port Headland can't wait for the Emperor's birthday.

Lt. Gen. Doubleday, SWPAC PIPCOSNOBEN Liason: Yes, I do see your point, Colonel. Is there a motion to withdraw the motion to table the item?

Col. Edson, SouPac: I believe the motion was never seconded, sir.

Lt. Gen. Doubleday, SWPAC PIPCOSNOBEN Liason: Hmmm. Sargeant, will you read back the transcripts to remind me if there was a second the Captain's motion.

Col. Edson, SouPac: But sir, there are only 3 of us. It would have to be either you or me to second the motion. I made no such action. Did you, sir?

Lt. Gen. Doubleday, SWPAC PIPCOSNOBEN Liason: I....don't recall..wait I just thought of something. As committee chairman I would not have been permitted to second the motion.

Captain Jack, USN: Sir, under Robert's Rules of Order, i believe there is an excpetion for small committees......

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 6676
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/24/2012 6:20:34 PM   
BBfanboy

Re: Captain Jack, USN: Sir, under Robert's Rules of Order, i believe there is an excpetion for small committees......

Would that be the dread pirate Roberts rules? i.e. always start fighting with your left hand first or don't trust a Spaniard unless he swears on his dead father's soul or drink from either poisoned cup but only after spending years building up a resistance to ilocaine.
Oh, wait - it was Robert's not Roberts: never mind ...

Post #: 6677
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/24/2012 8:32:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Re: Captain Jack, USN: Sir, under Robert's Rules of Order, i believe there is an excpetion for small committees......

Would that be the dread pirate Roberts rules? i.e. always start fighting with your left hand first or don't trust a Spaniard unless he swears on his dead father's soul or drink from either poisoned cup but only after spending years building up a resistance to ilocaine.
Oh, wait - it was Robert's not Roberts: never mind ...

I think you may be refering to "Right of Parlay" which is explained in the Urban Dictionary.

Part of the mythical set of pirate laws. Parlay entitles its invoker with free passage to negotiate with a ship’s captain until the negotiations are complete.
ELIZABETH: Parlay! I invoke the right of parlay! According to the Code of the Brethern, set down by the pirates Morgan and Bartholomew, you must take me to your Captain!

--Pirates of the Caribbean*

* It is my experience this works much better are really hot with a skinny waste and big breastesses and you speak like your jaw has been wired together in some sort of bizarre upper-crust ritual

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 2/24/2012 8:37:21 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6678
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/24/2012 9:58:54 PM   
perkinh

[ * It is my experience this works much better are really hot with a skinny waste and big breastesses and you speak like your jaw has been wired together in some sort of bizarre upper-crust ritual ]

That explains a lot!!

I realized when he stood up, that he was much bigger and meaner than me.

Gabede: PARLAY!

Big Thug: "I dont speak that there mexican crap"'

Gabede: THUNK!! POW ! Kabaam! OUCH!

Was it that i didn't look like Elizabeth, or just that he didn't understand the rules?

One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine.... is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine

Post #: 6679
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/25/2012 8:37:30 AM   
sprior

quote:

Is that Mexican then? Or some other strange South American language?

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to perkinh)
Post #: 6680
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/25/2012 2:06:44 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

Is that Mexican then? Or some other strange South American language?

That would be the visual dialect of the ol' 'Batman' TV show when dialectical behavior therapy failed ...

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 6681
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/25/2012 3:45:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Batman: El Hombre Que Rie!

Eplosion!, Auge!, Kapow! Ajjj...ajj...aj mi cabeza...ajj...ajjjj.ajjj...ajjjjjjjjj

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 6682
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/26/2012 11:23:19 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ajj...aj mi cabeza...ajj...ajjjj.ajjj...ajjjjjjjjj

Creo eso quando beber bastante tequila tambien, senor...

Post #: 6683
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/26/2012 11:23:57 PM   
Chickenboy

Oh...pardoname...

Rescue-o from-o page-o two-o.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6684
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/26/2012 11:27:30 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

New York: Jimmy "the fish" Positano was lost at sea (well the East River really) when his flotation device failed.

His flotation devices were cement galloshes, no? In which case, they were in nominal working order.

Post #: 6685
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/27/2012 10:45:24 PM   
Argos

Cap Mandrake - where did the screen background shot come from (looks like Battle of Savo Island)? If I may inquire....

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6686
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/27/2012 10:48:43 PM   
Argos

OK I admit I have now inquired so I guess I can.

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 6687
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/28/2012 1:58:13 AM   
Cap Mandrake

************Dec 3, 1942(c)***************

Oz: The surface force covering another group of AK's head for PH runs into a neatly symmetrical Jap force and comes out ahead. The RN torpedoes actually work. A small Allied victory.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Hedland at 57,128, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Furutaka, Shell hits 2
CL Isuzu, Shell hits 1
CL Kuma, Shell hits 1
DD Hayashio
DD Tanikaze
DD Hibiki
DD Shikinami
DD Yugao, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CA San Francisco
CL Durban
CL Ceres
CL Caradoc
DD Foxhound
DD Hotspur, Shell hits 1
DD Inconstant, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Isis, Shell hits 1, on fire

(in reply to Argos)
Post #: 6688
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/28/2012 2:00:25 AM   
Cap Mandrake

In the morning, the surface force has retreated for more ammo so the transports are attacked. The first raid is intercepted by F4F's from Exmouth and P=38's from Carnarvon flying LRCAP.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Port Hedland at 57,129

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 4
G3M2 Nell x 14
G4M1 Betty x 35

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 3
F4F-4 Wildcat x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 3 destroyed
G3M2 Nell: 2 destroyed, 5 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 4 destroyed, 4 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 destroyed by flak

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
xAK Moonta, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
xAK Era
AM Ipswitch
xAK Beltana
xAK Cardross

Post #: 6689
RE: With the Wren Detachment - 2/28/2012 2:02:04 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Then some Kates from Broome go after an ASW group.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Port Hedland at 57,129

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 15 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 6 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 8
B5N2 Kate x 17

Allied aircraft
P-38G Lightning x 2
F4F-4 Wildcat x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N2 Kate: 5 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
SC-519

Post #: 6690
Page:   <<   < prev  221 222 [223] 224 225   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: With the Wren Detachment Page: <<   < prev  221 222 [223] 224 225   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI