Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Medical Emergency

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Medical Emergency Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Medical Emergency - 5/4/2010 7:20:29 AM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Folks,

That picture of you-know-who from you-wish-you-never-saw-it seems to have shocked Sprior Jack-Speechless. He's writing in normal bloody English, fancy that!

Does anybody know any strange sounding chants, maybe that would go along with some foul-smelling brew he can force down?

Think, men of the forum! We have got to save Sprior!

QUICK! Anyone have a picture of the Queen mother in the raw? Wave it under his nose!

Ewww ... I wish you hadn't created that picture in my head - now I'll have to live with that the rest of the day ...

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 781
RE: Market Forces - 5/4/2010 8:33:45 AM   
sprior

quote:

I would favor canceling the unload and sending them back to Darwin post haste. Maybe the cheap Fillipino AK's could stay at Lautem as bomber bait.

Done. Boise et all heading back to Darwin faster than you can shake the proverbial.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 782
Men in tights - 5/4/2010 8:48:17 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Lord Admiral Sprior (Most Sincerely Exalted)
Master of the Brown Army Men

My Dearest Spri;

Splendid news so far about the surprise Jap raid off Lautem. The P-39's put on quite a show, did they not? We concur on your plan to recall the surface task force and transports, even if the Sherwood Foresters haven't unloaded all their chain saws and axes and the like. I have directed the USN Wildcat squadron and the USN SBD squadron at Darwin to redeploy to Ambon in hopes they might be able to strike the Jap CVL operating off Portuguese Timor. These squadrons will augment the USAAF A-24's already stationed there. The P-39 squadron at Lautem will stay despite the threat of bombardment as we have instructed the two Fillipino transports there to continue unloading.

Evidently, the Japs sprinted down from Makassar or perhaps throught the Sulawese/Molucca gap. Either way, our recon efforts failed to detect them. In any event, they cannot be happy that they missed an opportunity for carrier bomber attacks at Lautem.

Warmly,

Admiral "Cap" Mandrake
CIC< Green Army Men

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 783
RE: Men in tights - 5/4/2010 9:03:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Feb. 13:

Timor: The Japs really turned loose the dogs over Timor. Wave after wave of Bettys bore down on the Security Task Force and the vulnerable transports. Some attacks were accompanied by Zeroes, others were not. The P-39's squadron at Lautem perfomred admirably, claiming 12 Bettys and 3 Zeroes with one loss. The intel report is even higher with 29 Bettys reported lost including opeartional losses. No vessels were hit and the Jap carrier TF did not attack. 3 B-17E's from Darwin attacked a Zuiho class CVL, losing one bomber and scoring no hits.

The peformance of the P-39's was especially satisfying as they had been crated up in San Diego, shipped South of New Zealand, disembarked Melbourne, new pilots brought in to augment skill levels, shipped by train to Alice Springs then reassembled and ferry-hop transfered to Darwin and finally to Lautem. That was quite a journey.

New Scotland: Another 200 jap carrier sorties were flown over Koumac. Allied air at Noumea was stood down again. 4 B-26 squadrons have now been consolidated into 2. Only 2 SBD's remain at Noumea. The USN carriers are headed to Wellington to reuel, then they will go North and fly off some more SBD's to Noumea. The bulk of a tank Bn. is about 3 days out form Noumea. They are in harms way. 161st Infantry is 2-3 days out from Koumac. I hope they make it before the next Jap attack.

Post #: 784
RE: Men in tights - 5/4/2010 11:21:58 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Feb. 13:

Timor: The Japs really turned loose the dogs over Timor. Wave after wave of Bettys bore down on the Security Task Force and the vulnerable transports. Some attacks were accompanied by Zeroes, others were not. The P-39's squadron at Lautem perfomred admirably, claiming 12 Bettys and 3 Zeroes with one loss. The intel report is even higher with 29 Bettys reported lost including opeartional losses. No vessels were hit and the Jap carrier TF did not attack. 3 B-17E's from Darwin attacked a Zuiho class CVL, losing one bomber and scoring no hits.

The peformance of the P-39's was especially satisfying as they had been crated up in San Diego, shipped South of New Zealand, disembarked Melbourne, new pilots brought in to augment skill levels, shipped by train to Alice Springs then reassembled and ferry-hop transfered to Darwin and finally to Lautem. That was quite a journey.

New Scotland: Another 200 jap carrier sorties were flown over Koumac. Allied air at Noumea was stood down again. 4 B-26 squadrons have now been consolidated into 2. Only 2 SBD's remain at Noumea. The USN carriers are headed to Wellington to reuel, then they will go North and fly off some more SBD's to Noumea. The bulk of a tank Bn. is about 3 days out form Noumea. They are in harms way. 161st Infantry is 2-3 days out from Koumac. I hope they make it before the next Jap attack.

Cap'n:

This is the second or third time you've mentioned consolidation of several squadrons. I used to do this all the time in WiTP, but I think this process may be in error for maximum pilot training efficiencies in this game.

I recommend you *not* disband existing squadrons further, merely pull them back to a safe place, select 'no replacements', fill up with rookie pilots and train like hell. There will be no impact on airframes available on the front line (replacements off), no effect on quality pilot drain (you can move out some of your better ones to general reserve) and you will have these formerly disbanded groups available within a few months time for resumed combat actions.

Post #: 785
RE: Men in tights - 5/4/2010 11:44:14 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

Feb. 13:

Cap'n:

This is the second or third time you've mentioned consolidation of several squadrons. I used to do this all the time in WiTP, but I think this process may be in error for maximum pilot training efficiencies in this game.

I recommend you *not* disband existing squadrons further, merely pull them back to a safe place, select 'no replacements', fill up with rookie pilots and train like hell. There will be no impact on airframes available on the front line (replacements off), no effect on quality pilot drain (you can move out some of your better ones to general reserve) and you will have these formerly disbanded groups available within a few months time for resumed combat actions.

Yes, that is a good point, plus, there is the added inconvenience of having to ship the reformed squadron back to the front lines. The problem here; however, is there are no replacement B-26 airframes, the airfield at Noumea has too many squadrons without a controlling Air HQ and, most importantly, I need all hands on deck when the Jap carriers relent and move away for replenishment. In fact, all 4 of the B-26 squadrons were thrown into battle with borderline training and only 10 airframes each. Even after consolidation, neither has a full complement of airframes even now. I am throwing everything I can into the battle as I see a chance to hand the Japs a big defeat.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 786
RE: Men in tights - 5/5/2010 12:04:17 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

In fact, all 4 of the B-26 squadrons were thrown into battle with borderline training and only 10 airframes each. Even after consolidation, neither has a full complement of airframes even now. I am throwing everything I can into the battle as I see a chance to hand the Japs a big defeat.

Sounds a lot like what this guy ended up with. Except that he didnt know it was coming.

For bragging rights someone can tell me who he is.

Attachment (1)

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 787
RE: Men in tights - 5/5/2010 4:24:49 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Feb. 13:

Cap'n:

Yes, that is a good point, plus, there is the added inconvenience of having to ship the reformed squadron back to the front lines. The problem here; however, is there are no replacement B-26 airframes, the airfield at Noumea has too many squadrons without a controlling Air HQ and, most importantly, I need all hands on deck when the Jap carriers relent and move away for replenishment. In fact, all 4 of the B-26 squadrons were thrown into battle with borderline training and only 10 airframes each. Even after consolidation, neither has a full complement of airframes even now. I am throwing everything I can into the battle as I see a chance to hand the Japs a big defeat.

I think you may be missing the point. Air groups can be trained (26/36/42, etc. pilots) on two (or one) functional airframes. Functional airframes doesn't enter into it when discussing pilot training efforts. I recommend you reconsider your pilot training in lieu of functional airframes.

Post #: 788
RE: Men in tights - 5/5/2010 3:00:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Sounds a lot like what this guy ended up with. Except that he didnt know it was coming.

For bragging rights someone can tell me who he is.

Ummmm....Liam Neeson in Last Stand at Ulan Bator??

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 789
RE: Men in tights - 5/5/2010 3:12:15 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

I think you may be missing the point. Air groups can be trained (26/36/42, etc. pilots) on two (or one) functional airframes. Functional airframes doesn't enter into it when discussing pilot training efforts. I recommend you reconsider your pilot training in lieu of functional airframes.

Understood, but you have to admit there is a certain amount of drama in sending high 40's experience B-26 crews up against the Zero jockeys of Carrier Division I. There is also the added benefit of lulling the Japs into the complacency of Victory Disease. This is why I let them have Saratoga so they could whoop and holler for a few days and then steam right into my trap. I am, quite simply, the Bobby Fischer of AE and Saratoga was my Queen sacrifice.

17...Be6!! baby.....It's all over save a few Kamikaze attacks.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 790
Madre de Dios! - 5/5/2010 3:47:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

When seen graphically, it is quite impressive. IJN losses in the battle for Java. Most are from 1-2-42, the crushing night surface attack by Force Z and USN cruisers. The rest are RAF attacks from torpedo bombers, submarines, a second surface raid from RN crusiers from Eastern Fleet and even a few offensive mines.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 791
RE: Madre de Dios! - 5/5/2010 4:02:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Major Allied ships lost....curiously, most are USN. I really dont know how that happened. What the heck is Westralia worth 27 pts. for? Sentimental value? We were gypped.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 792
RE: Madre de Dios! - 5/5/2010 4:18:54 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Jap Combatant losses. 3 Jap subs sunk by Dutch and Australian mines

I am not sure what happened to that Destroyer off Yap on 2-5-42?? Maybe they were spotted by a B-17 on recon or something and happened to drive right under a random 500 lb bomb?? They really should be more careful. I think the USN carriers hit a Jap DD and sank a bunch of tankers on Dec 9th or 10th...but that was '41.

Also, I could have sworn we sunk at least one Jap CA and a couple of DD's in the fight for Kendari. Oh well. FOW

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 5/5/2010 4:19:39 PM >

Post #: 793
RE: Madre de Dios! - 5/5/2010 4:25:09 PM   
witpqs

I've found it can be 6 or 7 months for a ship to show up on the list, or for one to come off the list!

Post #: 794
RE: Madre de Dios! - 5/5/2010 4:33:19 PM   
sprior

quote:

even a few offensive mines.

Know any charming ones?

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 795
RE: Madre de Dios! - 5/5/2010 5:06:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

Know any charming ones?

Ah...I surmise you are not familiar with the NCMkVII line, the Noel Coward series.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 796
RE: Madre de Dios! - 5/5/2010 5:27:59 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

Know any charming ones?

Gold mines have quite a lot of charm

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 797
RE: Madre de Dios! - 5/5/2010 6:37:31 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

I've found it can be 6 or 7 months for a ship to show up on the list, or for one to come off the list!

Same here. A CA that I torpedoed in the first month of the conflict (I doubted that it was truly sunk), came off the list in May 1942. I get episodic updates of ships that sank the first two days of the war 6 months ago.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 798
FOW - 5/6/2010 5:12:01 AM   
Cap Mandrake

If the FOW code purposely put Akagi on the sunk list just to lead me around by the nose ring and then yanks it back off 5 months later with an annoying supercillious snicker, I am going to be hard to live with.

I dont know what I would do about it but it would likely involve a computer and a 3rd floor balcony.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 799
RE: FOW - 5/6/2010 4:42:05 PM   
BrucePowers

Do you have a 3rd floor balcony?

Post #: 800
RE: Men in tights - 5/6/2010 9:28:13 PM   
Alfred

quote:

... you have to admit there is a certain amount of drama in sending high 40's experience B-26 crews up against the Zero jockeys of Carrier Division I. There is also the added benefit of lulling the Japs into the complacency of Victory Disease. This is why I let them have Saratoga so they could whoop and holler for a few days and then steam right into my trap. I am, quite simply, the Bobby Fischer of AE and Saratoga was my Queen sacrifice.

Actually if you are basing your comment on lulling the Japs into Victory Disease, I would suggest that a better model was Euwe in his victory with the black pieces over Geller at the 1953 Zurich Candidates Tournament.

Alfred

Post #: 801
Timor - 5/7/2010 2:20:57 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Remember the Jap CVL off Timor? Well, it's actually Kaga, Zuiho AND Shoho.....and they put up quite a competent CAP.

That means Zuiho is not sunk...perhaps Ryujo was sunk..it sure seemed at least ONE CVL was mortally wounded (in the battle for Kendari).

Quite a few USN planes lost for no hits and only one Zero downed. VERY one-sided. Oh well, se la guerrre. At least our transports and crusiers got away unharmed.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 5/7/2010 2:22:33 AM >

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 802
Special Ops - 5/8/2010 1:43:03 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 803
USS Seal - 5/8/2010 5:16:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*********Aboard USS Seal, periscope depth, 30 nm E Belep Island (you know, where the headhunters were), 17:50, Feb. 13, 1942********

Bearded Lt.:....it was late '38, I was spending the Brazilian summer in a bungalo near Impanema. Every morning, I would take my espresso at a little plein aire bistro a block from the beach. And every morning, the same beautiful woman would pass the bistro with a brisk walk and a short skirt. She was tall and tan and young and lovely and she would just want to make you say, "Ahhhh". The legs..I can't really do them justice. <Everyone, officer and sailor alike is transfixed by the story, most have their jaws agape. Even the Captain seems distracted as he peers through the periscope.>

Sailor: As good as Betty Grable?

Bearded Lt.: Betty Grable is like your GRANDMA compared to her.

Captain: Enemy carrier....I make her Kaga class...range...<the crew comes to alert, the reverie broken>...12,000 yds...bearing three...five...zero relative...course............make it zero three zero relative..speed 20 kts. We will have no solution. Bring us to course zero nine zero. We will clear data and then report the contact. Maybe the other boats can get a shot at her. Lt., would you like to see? <the Captain motions toward the persicope to the young Lt. This is, of course, a risk to delay lowering the scope in daylight, even in the current sea state, and, it was a serious breach of operating procedures to be talking about an attractive pair of legs when in contact with the enemy, but...hey.. what can I say..everybody just likes the guy.>

Bearded Lt.: <Deferentially nods and peers through the periscope> Hmmmm.....Hmmmm? <Pulls away from the periscope whispers in the Cpatian's ear. The Captain shows a look of surprise and goes back to the periscope>

Captain: <after a few seconds> SWEET MARY MOTHER OF GOD AND THE SUCKLING BABY JESUS! YOU ARE RIGHT! The superstructure is on the wrong side is she is moving the Northeast...and I concur, Hiryu Class. WE ARE ON A CONVERGING COURSE! BELAY MY PREVIOUS ORDER! COME LEFT TO COURSE TWO NINE ZERO. ALL AHEAD 1/3. NEW RANGE...11,000 YDS...COURSE TWO TWO FIVE RELATIVE. TARGET SPEEED 20 KTS. READY ALL FORWARD TUBES. THREE DEGREE SPREAD. GET ME A SOLUTION RIGHT NOW MISTER AND TAKE THIS DAMN SCOPE DOWN BEFORE WE ARE SPOTTED............

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 5/8/2010 5:18:01 PM >

Post #: 804
RE: USS Seal - 5/8/2010 8:35:19 PM   
BrucePowers

Interesting.........

Post #: 805
RE: USS Seal - 5/9/2010 3:23:28 AM   
USSAmerica

Indeed, Bruce, sounds like "The Most Interesting Man in the World."  

He once had an awkward moment, just to see what it feels like. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 806
RE: USS Seal - 5/9/2010 3:53:06 AM   
witpqs

"He lives vicariously, through himself."

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 807
RE: USS Seal - 5/9/2010 4:20:02 AM   
USSAmerica

His mother has a tattoo on her arm that says, "Son."  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 808
USS Seal - 5/9/2010 5:31:59 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Sub attack near Belep Islands at 113,150

Japanese Ships
CV Soryu, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Kasumi
DD Urakaze
DD Akebono
DD Amagiri
DD Yugure

Allied Ships
SS Seal

The Japs attacked again in the 13th at Koumac, achieving 1:1 and inflicting 2:1 casualties on the Allies. 161st Regt. is still 40+ miles away..perhaps 2 days out. Jap carrier raids are declining in size, only about 120 sorties at Koumac today.

The Jap carriers are about 240 off Koumac to the NE. Soryu is burning from a fuel explosion but probably won't sink. Still that makes 3 carriers with fatigued air crews....and the 2 US carriers are about 3 days away at Auckland, fully fueled....hmmmmm?
A tank bn. should land at Noumea today or tomorrow if the carriers dont move South and make trouble. It is worth the risk to get them in. The airfield is now level 3 and a fresh air support unit is two days out by sea.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 5/9/2010 5:32:48 AM >

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 809
RE: Men in tights - 5/9/2010 5:34:38 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

... you have to admit there is a certain amount of drama in sending high 40's experience B-26 crews up against the Zero jockeys of Carrier Division I. There is also the added benefit of lulling the Japs into the complacency of Victory Disease. This is why I let them have Saratoga so they could whoop and holler for a few days and then steam right into my trap. I am, quite simply, the Bobby Fischer of AE and Saratoga was my Queen sacrifice.

Actually if you are basing your comment on lulling the Japs into Victory Disease, I would suggest that a better model was Euwe in his victory with the black pieces over Geller at the 1953 Zurich Candidates Tournament.

Alfred

Yes, I see your point. It musn't have been very long after taking Fischer's Queen that his opponent realized he was being crushed by a 13 year old. Very short lived "Victory Disease"

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Medical Emergency Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI