Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Op Buggritt

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Op Buggritt Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/8/2010 8:23:34 AM   
sprior

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

Wow...that is a goodly number of pongoes. Op. Buggritt is multi-divisional. That should get their attention. I have these questions.

1) Do we have some chaps at Akyab to keep the ALB's from landing behind us?

2) Are the pongoes going across country to the Irrawaddy valley or down the coastal road?

3) They are attacking our logistical base at Akyab by air. Do we have some Wapiti armed with Lee-Enfield's or something that could keep them honest?*

1. Yes, on their way.
2. Across country
3. No air support troops there yet. On their way.

Op Buggritt is a bit more off-the-cuff than it should be but we need to put some pressure on them and here seemed the best place to do so. Looking at the forces engaged at Kunming most of the troops they committed to Burma are there which leaves not much behind.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1771
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/8/2010 3:47:13 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

Wow...that is a goodly number of pongoes. Op. Buggritt is multi-divisional. That should get their attention. I have these questions.

2) Are the pongoes going across country to the Irrawaddy valley or down the coastal road?

3) They are attacking our logistical base at Akyab by air. Do we have some Wapiti armed with Lee-Enfield's or something that could keep them honest?*

1. Yes, on their way.
2. Across country

Op Buggritt is a bit more off-the-cuff than it should be but we need to put some pressure on them and here seemed the best place to do so. Looking at the forces engaged at Kunming most of the troops they committed to Burma are there which leaves not much behind.

Splendid! 10th Air Force is on its (their) way. Word is they are all out of diapers. I just put a lot of 4th Air Force pilots back in the General Reserve before Spaatz took them for the ETO. Feel free to take them as veteran replacements. They aren't Eddie Rickenbackers but they can replace the weaker pilots. Just don't take those "trained" in naval bombardment, por favor.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/8/2010 3:49:16 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1772
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/8/2010 3:53:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Yes, on their way.
2. Across country

Splendid! 10th Air Force is on its (their) way. Word is they are all out of diapers. I just put a lot of 4th Air Force pilots back in the General Reserve before Spaatz took them for the ETO. Feel free to take them as veteran replacements. They aren't Eddie Rickenbackers but they can replace the weaker pilots. Just don't take those "trained" in naval bombardment, por favor.

"All out of diapers" as in, 'they've graduated and have no more use for such devices' or as in, 'They still need them, but have exhausted their supply. Prepare for mess.'?

Post #: 1773
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/8/2010 3:55:01 PM   
sprior

One suspects the latter

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1774
RE: Guess Where - 9/8/2010 4:00:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Do a mouse-over on any TF you think might be spotted. If more than one TF in a hex, select the hex and mouse-over the TF's one by one at the bottom of the screen. You will be given detection level, if any.

Of that will not tell you if he deduces carriers because his search planes are reported shot down by CAP and so on. Unless he believes in the Bermuda Triangle.

Wow...good suggestion. None of the surface taffys have any recorded detection. A few subs right near New Uallapool have 3/3.

No turn yet in the inbox. Had to be at least a surface fight at Tanna on the night of 14/15. Probably the Allied carriers will at least hit his trnasports near Tanna.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1775
RE: Guess Where - 9/8/2010 7:10:13 PM   
Cap Mandrake

************Suva Airfield, 07:45, May 15, 1942*************

A hirsute USAAF officer strides confidently toward a B-25. He wears a pristine white sash adorned with the stars and stripes on his forehead.

Lt. Thistlewaite, in Jeep: <pulls to a stop 10 feet from the uniquely adorned one>Captain, the mission has been scrubbed.

Hirsute USAAF officer with a pristine white sash adorned with the stars and stripes on his forehead: <peaved> What do you mean scrubbed, Thiswontwaite?

Lt. Thistlewaite, in Jeep: It's Thistlewaite, sir. The Colonel says the mission is cancelled sir. The Jap ships at Tanna bugged out.

Hirsute USAAF officer with a pristine white sash adorned with the stars and stripes on his forehead: God Damnit, Thisonwait!

Lt. Thistlewaite, in Jeep: Yes sir, and it's Thistlewait, sir. Sir? There is another thing, sir. The Colonel says you can't wear the scarf thing. It's not regulation.

Hirsute USAAF officer with a pristine white sash adorned with the stars and stripes on his forehead: The scarf signifies my ritual purification before battle. Tell the Colonel to come out her and tell me in person.

Lt. Thistlewaite, in Jeep: Are you sure that is a good idea sir?

Hirsute USAAF officer with a pristine white sash adorned with the stars and stripes on his forehead: Bah! He needs me more than I need him. I am staying out here WITH my Goddamned scarf until he re-orders the mission, Thiscanwait. <sits down on tarmac>

Lt. Thistlewaite, in Jeep: Yes, sir. Message recieved. <starts Jeep and says under his voice> What a ******* asshole.

Post #: 1776
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/8/2010 7:17:27 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Yes, on their way.
2. Across country

"All out of diapers" as in, 'they've graduated and have no more use for such devices' or as in, 'They still need them, but have exhausted their supply. Prepare for mess.'?

Is this where the phrase Officers' Mess came from

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1777
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/9/2010 2:10:35 PM   
ckammp

quote:

quote:

This OOB question:

Were not 14, 16 and 23 Inf Brigades part of 70th Inf Div in 1942?

Yes. Not sure why they're broken up like this but I'm sure Andy has a cogent answer.

The Brigades are separated from the Division due to their eventual change to Chindit Brigades.

In 6/43, the 3 Brigades will undergo a TOE change and the remaining 70th Division LCU will withdraw; in 10/43 the 3 Brigades will be renamed as Chindit Brigades.

IIRC, AndyMac has said that because of the major TOE changes it was easier to have the Brigades unable to combine into a single Division.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1778
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/9/2010 2:23:30 PM   
sprior

Thanks for the info!

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 1779
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/9/2010 2:25:45 PM   
sprior

quote:

Is this where the phrase Officers' Mess came from

That's why they have stewards

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 1780
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/11/2010 7:12:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Again the main body seems unspotted. A Jap CVL or single CV is operating NE of Tanna, evidently hoping to poach on my reinforcement convoy to Tanna. Instead, they nearly stumble into 4 Allied CV's. The Japs may deduce the carrier presence on the basis of SB2U's (or whatever those dinosaurs are called) over their convoy in the search role.

I am taking the chance of moving up medium bombers and the remaining 17's to NE for a raid on New Ullapool. The carriers will be in position to receive a Betty raid. I deem it unlikely the Jap CV's will be able to engage this turn. I expect a Jap attack at New perth in the next two days. They have fresh troops.

Yossarian gets his wish. The 90th is going to New Edinburgh.

Now for a poll. If success is defined as delivery of >20,000 tons of supply to New Scotland with rough parity in air and naval losses, what is the likelihood of succes of Operation Consanguinity?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1781
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/11/2010 10:04:23 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Now for a poll. If success is defined as delivery of >20,000 tons of supply to New Scotland with rough parity in air and naval losses, what is the likelihood of succes of Operation Consanguinity?

Very high, I'd say. Very high.

Wait...was your definition of 'success' getting your BBs sunk and your surface fleet spanked in humiliating fashion? [rereads Caps previous posting] Oh, that's different...

Not a chance in hell.

Post #: 1782
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/12/2010 1:25:26 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

Its not called Operation Buggerme? Hmmm. Would have been rather apt.

On a serious note, I dont think that your opposite number i much onto getting caught with his kimono around his ankles. In fact, I wouldnt be shocked if he saw this coming.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 1783
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/12/2010 4:47:47 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

On a serious note, I dont think that your opposite number i much onto getting caught with his kimono around his ankles. In fact, I wouldnt be shocked if he saw this coming.

Certainly true there is little hope of strategic surprise. If one is to get supplies (or evac troops) to New Scotland, one will have to go to New Scotland.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1784
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/12/2010 4:49:37 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Very high, I'd say. Very high.

Wait...was your definition of 'success' getting your BBs sunk and your surface fleet spanked in humiliating fashion? [rereads Caps previous posting] Oh, that's different...

Not a chance in hell.

Ouch! Tough crowd.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1785
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/12/2010 5:00:44 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Air losses from the 15th

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1786
RE: Op Consanguinity - 9/12/2010 5:45:41 AM   
Cap Mandrake

The air raid on New Ullapool has fewer planes that I hoped but does quite a bit of damage.

Bettys from New Uallpool attack the carriers and are swatted down by a CAP of 63 Wildcats. Interestingly, the Zeroes that attacked the carriers are from Soryu and Akagi. As they attacked with the Bettys I believe they are operating from New Uallpool itself. This may mean Akagi and Soryu aren't ready for battle yet.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1787
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 4:55:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Sign in today: XAELAX (Mayan: A medicine used to treat bowel maladies, piles, various types of skin eruptions and dropsy (the kind males get). It was generally composed of xoxichichenitza (Arrowroot) and quetzylcoatylnoggin (the dried pineal gland of decapitated enemies). The discovery of the ingredient list in 2001 caused great interest among modern pharmaceutical manufacturers because male dropsy is a huge market and if you can market something as "natural" there is no limit to the number of dunderheads who will line up to buy. Unfortunately, it proved only to be of limited value for the bowel maladies and didn't do **** for dropsy, so they ****canned the thing after 100's of millions of dollars were invested. This brings up the question of why it was so popular among the Maya. Quite possibly they too were suckers for the "natural" label. Plus, if one spent all one's Mayan money on the crap and it didn't work one would feel like an Mayan idiot. Therefore, in order to avoid loss of stature among one's Mayan neighbors (God knows they were already short enough and were probably touchy on this subject anyway) it would benefit one to tell one's Mayan neighbors that the thing wouldn't go down for 4 hours until finally one had to have one's Mayan mother-in-law come over and parade around naked making erotic sounds. Thank the great Serpent God that finally worked, but one should be careful NEVER to take two pills. Naturally, with that kind of warning the stuff would sell like rolling papers a Dead concert. Modern archeologists are now expolring the possibilty that the Mayan warrior class were so weakened by abuse of the product that this may account for the rapid disappearance of the Mayan culture around 1100 AD.

Just thought of something. Another possible reason why Zeroes from Akagi and Soryu may have attacked the Allied carriers is the "single CV" TF near Tanna on the 14th may not be a single CV TF but Akagi and Soryu acting as a Carrier Div. If so, that would make the other group likely a 3 CV force. If the LYB's deduced that Allied carriers were about, they would naturally pull back a two CV force and wait for it to unite with the other group. This would also explain the northwesterly movement of the Jap carries South of New Scotland. They might be headed around New Scotland to unite for a decisive attack..or they could just be waiting for the land based air to inflict the first blow.

I dont think Kaga could be in the area so that would make a ceiling of 5 fleet carriers unless Junyo is available in May 42 under scenario 2.

No turn yet. I can't handle the stress.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1788
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 5:21:32 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Dont worry. If youre right in your previous post it will take them at least a few turns to get their sh!t together, by which time you may have your transports in port. Of course they'll get completely creamed once there, but thats another story...

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 1789
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 5:34:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

More funny neighbor observations.

The short little Indian guy with the hot, tall, thin, elegant-looking and hot, did I mention that, Indian wife who drove his Rolls 150 yds down the street to put up a balloon for his son's party..remember him? You know, the guy who got rid of his Lambo because it would bottom out at the bottom of the driveway. Anyway, I think he got tired of the Rolls because it is gone and now he has an exquisite black Bentley Silver Spur. At least his taste is getting better. I don't know where he is going from here when the windshield on the Bentley gets dirty. A Maybach maybe? Haven't seen his wife in a while either. Too bad.

The neighbor up the street who owns an environmental consulting firm just got a new Prius. I know this because the SOB nearly ran me over with the damn thing it is so damn quiet. The guy is a rabid Dem who voted for Gore despite the fact that he owns his own business. Here is the deal. He deals in toxic waste clean-up sites. He has made a killing by arbitraging risk. He offers to "buy" the risk from the owner of the toxic site, then he cleans it up more cheaply than the previous owner would have. Wild business model. Anyway, he complains about taxes but wont vote for Republicans because he is afraid they will weaken environmental laws and destroy his business.

Now, this is not odd in itself...that a Dem would buy a Prius, but the hypocrisy is his wife drives an awesome bronze Mazeratti Quattroporte with a beautiful engine note. The thing creates a vacuum wherever it goes just sucking in oxygen to feed its 10 or 12 or 16 cylinders (however many it has). You can hear it rowing through the gears from 1/2 mile away with the windows closed but the sound is so beautiful it brings tears to your eyes...well almost.

We...the neighbors on the street...got our asses kicked by the HOA on the lot development thing up the street, but the good news is the county is making the developer do a new EIR to account for the infringement on the "scenic easement". I think he is a dead man walking unless he pays off the neigbors. Maybe I should give him a call.

Post #: 1790
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 5:43:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Dont worry. If youre right in your previous post it will take them at least a few turns to get their sh!t together, by which time you may have your transports in port. Of course they'll get completely creamed once there, but thats another story...

New Edinburgh harbor is going to have some wonderful diving attractions. There can be no doubt. I just hope one of them isn't HMS Warspite. I am beginning to think it might have been better to do a strategic diversion operation (Wake or Kwajelein) or something to get their carriers off station. The problem is the stakes are so big for both sides at New Scotland now, it would almost have to be an invasion of the Kuriles or something of this nature to get their attention. Another months worth of supplies at New Scotland would allow Wasp to join up and TBF conversions.

Post #: 1791
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 5:51:56 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Question: Should Junyo be available in mid May 1942 under Scenario 2?*

*And don't give me some wise-ass answer like "it's a little late to think about that now, isn't it?"

Post #: 1792
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 5:56:15 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

*And don't give me some wise-ass answer like "it's a little late to think about that now, isn't it?"

Again, wouldnt worry. If the airgroups on the other carriers dont reduce you to a smudge on the ocean's surface, I doubt Junyo would add significantly.

Post #: 1793
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 6:10:49 PM   
witpqs

I thought smudges were only on solid objects. Wouldn't that be a patch instead?

Post #: 1794
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 7:23:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

Again, wouldnt worry. If the airgroups on the other carriers dont reduce you to a smudge on the ocean's surface, I doubt Junyo would add significantly.

Lord Admiral Sprior, Lord Admiral Sprior....they are picking on me again!*

* Eaton is full of bullies. Even worse than Eton, if that can be imagined.

Post #: 1795
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 7:29:14 PM   
sprior

There, there, Tokyo Rose will kiss it all better.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 1796
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 7:43:15 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Is she cute?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1797
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 7:59:36 PM   
sprior

quote:

quote:

Is she cute?

You tell me.

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 1798
DFC - 9/12/2010 8:12:50 PM   
Cap Mandrake

******Officer's Club, Suva Airfield, Fiji, May 15, 1942********

A General of ample girth brushes open the saloon style doors and enters with several junior officers in tow. The surprised patrons come to attention.

General Dreedle: Where is that Son of a Bitch Yossanovsky?

Hiruste SOB: Do you mean Capt. Yossarian, sir?

General Dreedle: Yeah, that's it. Izzat you?

Hiruste SOB: Yes sir!

General Dreedle: Yossarian, I heard you took your B-25 on a second run yesterday over New Uallpool....right on the deck...strafing with a Goddmaned B-25?

Hiruste SOB: Yes sir. You heard right. No sense wasting ammo.

General Dreedle: What about triple A? What about the crew? What about my Goddamned B-25C?

Hiruste SOB: Triple A is overrated sir.

General Dreedle: You are a crazy SOB, Yossarian. Do you know that?

Hiruste SOB: Yes sir.

General Dreedle: I really should have you court martialed, do you realize that, Capt.?

Hiruste SOB: Been there, done that.

General Dreedle: Godamnit, Yoassarian! You are the craziest Son of a Bitch in the whole Goddamned Group. Do you know that?

Hiruste SOB: Then I am moving up sir.

General Dreedle: <shakes head> Goddmanit! Give this Goddamned SOB a Goddamned medal or something. What have we got? <aides scramble>

Aide: I've got 8, no nine DFC's sir.

General Dreedle: Good! Give one to this crazy SOB and his whole Goddmaned crazy crew. <puts hand on the Captain's shoulder> Son, don't get yourself killed, Goddamnit.

Hiruste SOB: I wouldn't worry about that, sir.

General Dreedle: And I wouldn't worry about me worrying, if I were you. <turns and begins to laugh at his own joke> HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. No worries. HAHAHAHHA.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1799
RE: Op Buggritt - 9/12/2010 8:15:06 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

quote:

quote:

Is she cute?

You tell me.

Madre de Dios!

She could generate carpet samples with an eyebrow wax job. Maybe a Japanese schoolgirl outfit with a short pleated skirt would help

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 9/12/2010 8:17:29 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1800
Page:   <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Op Buggritt Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI