Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated hex?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated hex? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated hex? - 1/18/2010 3:59:41 PM   
big dawg

Am faced with crossing a river & have bridging engineers to help with that task. Am searching for crossing points. Some hexs are wooded and some have an elevated hex (not mountains just elevated).

Can I construct a bridge into a wooded hex?

Can I construct a bridge into a elevated hex?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated... - 1/18/2010 4:56:20 PM   
Jason Petho

Have you played the bootcamp scenario dealing with building bridges?

There is a document in your Manuals older that describes what to do with the bootcamp scenarios.

I highly recommend it.

Jason Petho

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 2
RE: Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated... - 1/18/2010 6:52:16 PM   
big dawg

Hi Jason,

Yes I did & it answered several questions especially for pontoon bridges.
I am playtesting a scenario and was wondering if I can build a bridge from a hex without any foliage across a river into a wooded area?

I will use your JTCS stock bridge building boot camp scenario as an example..... Look at hex 10, 21 on the Russian side.  Say the bridge unit was Russian unit attempting to cross & in hex 10, 21 could he build a bridge across the river into the wooded hex on the German side 9, 21 or 9, 22?

Also look at hex 15, 25 on Russian side.  Can I construct a bridge into a elevated hex?  Say from 15, 25 across river to 15, 24?

If the answers were listed in manual I missed them.

Thanks you for any help you can provide.

Jack

< Message edited by big dawg -- 1/18/2010 7:48:25 PM >

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 3
RE: Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated... - 1/18/2010 8:03:09 PM   
Jason Petho

You should be able to build a bridge across the hexside, yes.

Jason Petho

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 4
RE: Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated... - 1/19/2010 4:03:42 AM   
1925frank

Changing the subject just a bit:  I had a low-on-ammo mine engineer move into a minefield hex, and the low-on-ammo mine engineer got eliminated.  Generally engineers are impervious to minefields, but that apparently isn't true for low-on-ammo mine engineers.  Has anyone else encountered this?

Post #: 5
RE: Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated... - 1/19/2010 5:41:31 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1925frank

Changing the subject just a bit:  I had a low-on-ammo mine engineer move into a minefield hex, and the low-on-ammo mine engineer got eliminated.  Generally engineers are impervious to minefields, but that apparently isn't true for low-on-ammo mine engineers.  Has anyone else encountered this?

Mine Engineers are ONLY able to lay a level one minefield, so they do not have the same attributes as normal engineers and suffer casualties.

That is all.

Jason Petho

(in reply to 1925frank)
Post #: 6
RE: Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated... - 1/19/2010 5:01:32 PM   
1925frank

Thanks, Jason. 

Just as an idea, perhaps the name of the unit could be changed to "Mine Layers" so that they aren't confused with engineers. 

Do mine engineers get the bonus for making improved positions (twenty percent compared to ten percent for other units)?  Can they lay smoke?  If they can't, it might not be a bad idea to remove the "engineer" from the unit's name.

Post #: 7
RE: Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated... - 1/21/2010 11:43:32 PM   
big dawg

Yes, yes you can. I did it.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 8
RE: Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated... - 1/22/2010 4:49:43 PM   
1925frank

I don't have my game in front of me, but my recollection is the mine engineers do not have the smoke symbol, which means they shouldn't be able to lay smoke, and the mine engineers don't have the mine detector symbol, which means they can't remove mines and can be hurt in a mine field.  The mine engineers have a shovel, which means they can build improved positions, but I suspect it's only at the ten percent rate, not the twenty percent rate of regular engineers.  The unit, as it's currently displayed, tells a player what a player needs to know.  It was the "engineer" in the name that threw me off on its capabilities, but its capabilities are noted in the left column, so I should not have been surprised.

< Message edited by 1925frank -- 1/22/2010 7:41:26 PM >

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Can bridge engineers build across river on elevated hex? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI