Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/22/2010 7:00:41 PM   
elmo3

AGN made little progress this turn.  Just when I thought we had broken through a lot more Soviets showed up.  The screen shot below is a more zoomed in view.  Thought you might like the variety.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Fastheinz)
Post #: 211
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/22/2010 7:16:02 PM   
elmo3

OK I couldn't resist the temptation to break clear of the Soviets south of Vitebsk and drive 12th Pz Div all the way to Smolensk.  They will probably be isolated in the Soviet part of the turn but we should have enough force to break them free if necessary.  I really wanted to blast through that huge Soviet air park southeast of Smolensk but just didn't have the units. If they are smart they will all have to bug out this turn or possible get overrun next turn. We also managed to pocket two groups of Soviet units although the northern pocket probably won't hold.  And we expanded the bridgehead further below Mogilev.  The AI made a general withdrawal from the Pripyat Marsh off the southern edge of this screen shot and we are rushing to fill the void and shorten our lines.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/22/2010 7:17:35 PM >

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 212
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/22/2010 7:24:07 PM   
elmo3

AGS is still pushing toward Kiev and getting closer.  Again we thought we had a clear breakthrough but more Soviets have appeared.  The Soviets pulled their line back south of Zhitomir and we are moving up to reestablish contact as fast as we can.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 213
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/22/2010 7:27:00 PM   
elmo3

In the far south we have surrounded Odessa and begun a bombing campaign to reduce the defenders before the assault.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 214
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/22/2010 7:43:10 PM   
elmo3

Losses through turn 7:

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 215
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/22/2010 7:44:53 PM   
USSLockwood

Next stop Vyazma!

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 216
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 11:25:14 AM   
ComradeP

How did the Soviets get 2001 operational losses, did you overrun their airfields?

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 217
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 12:01:03 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

How did the Soviets get 2001 operational losses, did you overrun their airfields?

Operational losses are non-combat related. Crash on takeoff or landing, aircraft components failing in flight, getting lost in the soup and making a forced landing, etc. Some of those losses get repaired I believe even though they are in the permanent column. I don't think aircraft lost to overrun are included in that but I'll check.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 218
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 12:16:30 PM   
Captain B

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

AGN made little progress this turn.  Just when I thought we had broken through a lot more Soviets showed up.  The screen shot below is a more zoomed in view.  Thought you might like the variety.

Elmo,

Thanks for the reply earlier. Now a couple of more questions on this BE-AY-UTE-IH-FULL AGN screenshot....

1. The triangles in the upper left corners represent something by color...green i assume means fairly good supply and combat ready by TOE. The yellow marginal in one or both areas and red means trouble. Can ou clarify?

2. Can the German player see the soviet status as wel (the units in close contact and for some distance from the front have visible triangles as well)l...that may be an unfair advantage unless this is an algorithim by recon that may or may not be right.

Retired and being an alpha tester...what a life! Enjoy! And this is a great AAR btw.

There is no problem too big that can't be solved with the proper use of high explosives

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 219
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 12:57:03 PM   
PyleDriver

The upper left corner triangle is what we call soft factors. It toggles from off, morale, experience, supplies, fuel and attached units. The upper right trangle is movement. Black inside the white hasn't moved, white has moved and still can, no triangle theres no movement left...Enemy soft factors can be seen if the detection level rises high enough...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Captain B)
Post #: 220
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 5:53:22 PM   
elmo3

Progress for AGN has all but stopped.  We are pushing forward a couple of hexes per turn but we'll never make Leningrad before Winter at this rate.  XXVI and I Corps of the 18th Army (purple) along the coast are just about at the limit of their supply lines.  Someone suggested diverting from the direct route to Leningrad to cut off Soviet forces west of 4th Pz Grp (red) and I will consider that if they don't withdraw this turn.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 221
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 6:02:59 PM   
elmo3

Time for a change of plans for AGC.  The envisioned mega pocket never developed.  So 2nd Pz Grp (light blue) and 3rd Pz Grp (light green) will both drive right through the center of the Soviet forces in this area and head for Vyazma and then Moscow.  We'll try to carry the day with a straight forward bull rusn and the infantry holding the flanks.  There should be plenty of infantry in the area now to allow this without risk of the panzers being cut off.  So as you can see in this shot 2nd PzGrp is relocating northeast to coordinate with 3rd Pz Grp.  2nd Army (medium blue) is now in position to take over on the right flank while 4th Army (dark blue) finishes up it's operation to the south in the marsh.  9th Army (dark green) will continue to hold the left flank after clearing the pockets from last turn and will maintain contact with AGN.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/23/2010 6:03:34 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 222
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 6:14:07 PM   
ComradeP

Elmo, do you think it's possible for a competent Axis player to achieve a near-historical result for 1941 without the Axis overextending in the winter?

Some of the Barbarossa TOAW scenarios quickly lead to stalemates like you could face in the AGN sector, with the 1941 objectives somewhat close but still far away. It seems that in the majority of the Eastern Front wargame, it's very difficult for the Axis player to come close to the historical 1941 advance.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 223
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 6:14:16 PM   
elmo3

Elements of 1st Pz Grp (red) punched across the minor Irpen River into the clear to the southwest of Kiev.  Resistance is stiffening in front of Kiev and we expect a tough fight for the prize of the Ukraine.  I want to break the line along the Dnepr quickly and be able to hit Kiev from both sides of the river.  If we let the Soviets build a strong line of defense along that river it will get ugly.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 224
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 6:16:01 PM   
elmo3

In the far south Odessa fell after another heavy aerial bombardment.  Other than that things were relatively quiet.  I'm undecided what to do next down here so we'll see what the Soviets do in their part of the turn and then decide.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 225
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 6:21:54 PM   
Balou

What's the day or week ?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 226
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 6:29:59 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

What's the day or week ?

Losses through turn 8 (the week of 8/7/41)

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 227
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 8:32:05 PM   
wiking62

Hi elmo,

Any chance of a screenshot of the whole Eastern front so that we can visualise the whole campaign to date?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 228
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 8:51:52 PM   
Balou

Looking at the Kiew map, I wonder what you plans are. You've made a nice advance to Smolensk and beyond using up two Pz-Armies, and a rather slow advance with one Pz-Army in the North. Given that, I expect a similar and slow advance thru or around Kiev. Soviet / AI resistance rapidly grows very, very strong and with just one fast combat group (1st PzArmy) it's probably a tough one to pocket Kiew.
It is very interesting to see that many more Soviet unit symbols appear were you mass your troops whereas farther south in front of 11th army the AI frontline remains a rather thin brown line. Do we know whether the AI relocates troops in between Army groups ?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 229
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 9:11:13 PM   
pgarcia

Its interesting how the AAR is going. The stalling gives the rationale to the Hitler directive that sent Pzgroups to the north and south to help take Kiev and push towards Leningrad. This seems also to be the current view on how the campaign went.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 230
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 9:25:39 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: hart2412

Hi elmo,

Any chance of a screenshot of the whole Eastern front so that we can visualise the whole campaign to date?

Couldn't quite get the whole map in one shot but close enough:

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 231
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 9:33:01 PM   
wiking62

Thanks elmo.

I like to review the overall strategic position now and again.

Looking forward to the rest of your AAR.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 232
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 9:43:37 PM   
elmo3

quote:

Looking at the Kiew map, I wonder what you plans are. You've made a nice advance to Smolensk and beyond using up two Pz-Armies, and a rather slow advance with one Pz-Army in the North. Given that, I expect a similar and slow advance thru or around Kiev. Soviet / AI resistance rapidly grows very, very strong and with just one fast combat group (1st PzArmy) it's probably a tough one to pocket Kiew.
It is very interesting to see that many more Soviet unit symbols appear were you mass your troops whereas farther south in front of 11th army the AI frontline remains a rather thin brown line. Do we know whether the AI relocates troops in between Army groups ?

The terrain just north of Kiev is an ugly sight to any tread head. My panzers are lined up to cross to the south and then swing north. 6th Army (light purple) and 17th Army (brown) will apply the pressure from the west and north.

I don't know if the AI will reassign units or not.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 233
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 11:20:03 PM   
Balou

We just learned from one of the posts (Q&A thread) how important the Ukraine is as a resource area. I don't know how important Kiev really is apart from beeing a capital, but if the map is what it should be, than Krivoi Rog must be a main resource center. Is there yet some objective for 1st PzArmy in the longer run ?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 234
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/23/2010 11:42:01 PM   
elmo3

quote:

We just learned from one of the posts (Q&A thread) how important the Ukraine is as a resource area. I don't know how important Kiev really is apart from beeing a capital, but if the map is what it should be, than Krivoi Rog must be a main resource center. Is there yet some objective for 1st PzArmy in the longer run ?

Not exactly sure what you are asking. Here is a map highlighting the factories in the Ukraine area. Maybe that will help with planning strategy beyond Kiev.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 235
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/24/2010 12:00:36 AM   
GMeyer

Anybody have any idea when this beauty will be released?

George S. Meyer

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 236
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/24/2010 12:02:54 AM   
Balou

For the next days 1st PzArmy will obviously participate in Operation Kiev. But from then onwards ? Swing north-east, in case AGC needs some support. Or will you keep your Panzers "in the south" ?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 237
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/24/2010 12:24:51 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: GMeyer

Anybody have any idea when this beauty will be released?

Tentative time frame is late Q2, subject to change of course.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to GMeyer)
Post #: 238
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/24/2010 12:29:57 AM   
elmo3

quote:

For the next days 1st PzArmy will obviously participate in Operation Kiev. But from then onwards ? Swing north-east, in case AGC needs some support. Or will you keep your Panzers "in the south" ?

1st Pz Grp will stay with AGS after Kiev. Where they go is hard to say but I heard Dnepropetrovsk is nice in the Fall. Depends on the weather to some degree. Generally we want to be hunkered down before the blizzards hit because Ivan will be going over on the offensive when that happens, and we won't be getting any winter weather clothing this year.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 239
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/24/2010 3:35:23 PM   
elmo3

We got about a foot of snow overnight and it's still snowing, so General Winter will delay my next move.  And we are supposed to get even more snow starting tomorrow some time.  

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI