Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wish list for a possible new patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Wish list for a possible new patch Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wish list for a possible new patch - 2/18/2010 9:23:46 PM   
Tordenskiold

The game is great, in particular in PBEM mode. But, I wish for some improvements if there is a new patch on its way:
1. A visualization of the sub warfare and the impact of British PP's. No it is hard to see why the Axis should vaste PP's on subs and raiders at all.
2. Get reports about loss of generals
3. Improve the report screen. It is a bit messy now and difficult to handle if one control several countries.
4. Improve the navy control panel so only the fleet for the country on control at the moment are visible. It would also help if 8 groups where visible at the time instead of 4.
5. It seems impossible to replay Dunkirk because it does not function as a port. Why?
6. In PBEM the events that are presented is often presented to the wrong player. As allied I have been asked about if I wanted to commission the german cruiser Blucher and how to treat the Poles after their surrender, among other things. Clearly a bug.

Best regards
Tordenskjold

< Message edited by Tordenskiold -- 2/21/2010 10:19:13 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 2/18/2010 9:41:58 PM   
Radar8717

Railroad or SMP movement, into a newly captured city, is currently possible on the next game turn. Can it be delayed several more turns, instead of on just the next game turn? This could help model damaged rail lines, logistical difficulties when advancing, and conversion of different track gauges into the USSR. I also wish that partisan activity and strategic bombing would reduce the available SMP.

(in reply to Tordenskiold)
Post #: 2
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 2/18/2010 9:42:25 PM   
billyjj

For the subs I was just assuming that "UK has U-boot strike event" means that I hit some convoys... but i see your point because with strategic bomber you know your making an impact because you can see the city pp points go down. I haven't played as England yet, does the German AI beat you so bad that you need to evacute? 

Post #: 3
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 2/21/2010 10:23:49 AM   
Tordenskiold

Exactly billyjj. I have never been kicked out of the UK but on the other hand we never reached that far before we decided to restart the game. It freezed during a turn where I as the allied player had to do the Lithuania moves for my opponent since even though the country was set to be controlled by him, he was not able to do the moves. So, clearly some bugs in PBEM.

Good points Radar!

T

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 4
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 2/21/2010 10:25:32 PM   
billyjj

Radar, I dont know how things happened during the actual war, but it is hard for me to imagine that in frozen conditions I could lay railroad tracks from Poland to lets say Minsk even with in 1 months time, but who knows maybe they used existing track. But yea I think maybe there should be a 2 turn delay. But this is actually not a pressing issue for me, as long as both sides can do it I dont think it throws off the gameplay. There are more urgent issues that need fixing like the whole tac-bomber / landing craft interception situations. Good Idea though.

< Message edited by billyjj -- 2/21/2010 10:26:07 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 2/21/2010 11:16:02 PM   
RocketMan

The ability to click and drag the main map like you can do with the mini map.

(in reply to billyjj)
Post #: 6
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/2/2010 3:08:19 PM   
AH4Ever

I like wish lists because they are wistfully hopeful. A gathering of potential energy that could, well you know could.

Then there is the concept of the next patch. Here we sit waiting for 1.80 as it nears completion and there is mention of "One Point Whatever" that will address PBEM. I guess it should be this one that we focus our collective consciousness on.

So here I go, If I could have one and only one wish it would be to replace the current naval system with the hex based system that has to be in development for "Storm Over the Pacific".

This would address several of the points made above, I could go on and I usually do but this time I am going to concentrate my thoughts on this one wish.

Tak Tytoń Wirginia , tu jest pewien Gwiazdor.

< Message edited by AH4Ever -- 3/3/2010 12:24:53 PM >

JJMC

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

You weren't there Thursday... You MISSED it!

Post #: 7
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/3/2010 9:21:23 AM   
Uxbridge

AH (have it ever occured to you that most people probably don't think the initials stands for Avalon Hill ), could you enlighten me some on the development of the naval system for SOP. I haven't followed that particularly, but know that naval units now move in hexes like ground units.

But is this fleets with several groups in them, or does every group move by itself, taking up the entire hex space? The first would be splendid, with battles fought as they are now, but in the moment they occur. On the other hand, if it is the latter, I for one would prefer things as they are now.

Single units were one of the most devastation faults with Strategic Command and Commander and leads to countless silly situations.

(in reply to AH4Ever)
Post #: 8
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/3/2010 10:51:38 AM   
Anraz

Uxbridge, let me answer instead of AH4Ever ;)

Every group of ships move itself and any number of groups can be in the same area. We decided to make larger areas due to week turns, ships speed and size of the whole Pacific map (365x201=~73k hexes).  Some players might have his own view considering size of those sea areas so we made them easy to change with game editor, which will be attached to the game, just look at its possibilities  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHsZF4GnRsY ).  

And regarding those areas:

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 9
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/3/2010 11:40:15 AM   
Uxbridge

The quickest way of getting an answer from someone authorized or qualified to give that answer, is to ask the question to someone who is not.

Nice movie. Almost better than Lord of the Rings.

Anyway, I'm still somewhat in the dark regarding my main concern. The groups move individually, you say. But can they attack individually? Can a battlegroup move to an area, discover a patrolgroup there and attack it? And, if so, can the same player then bring in more units, striking the lone patrolgroup until it's finished?

Or do the naval combat of the game take place between turns, as it is now?

< Message edited by Uxbridge -- 3/3/2010 11:44:27 AM >

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 10
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/3/2010 12:42:40 PM   
AH4Ever

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uxbridge

The quickest way of getting an answer from someone authorized or qualified to give that answer, is to ask the question to someone who is not.

How sly of you, I was wondering why you were asking me. I mean I'm just a guy hoping that any form of hex based control is better than what we have now and that it can be made to work in ToW.

JJMC

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 11
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/3/2010 1:15:31 PM   
Uxbridge

No, really. I saw your comment, thought you knew more than me and just continued the thread. If I need to ask WI anything they are very quick to reply.

But I must say I'm actually beginning to enjoy the current naval system. In some regards it is very much like real life. I'm presently playing UK and the problems with the uboats and raiders seem very natural. I don't know where they are, so I have to pour assetts into the sea zones and hope for the best. The one sad thing is that one doesn't get to watch the battles. It would be very good if the sea battles were saved and that all players could have a reprise of it in their respective turn.

But as I said, I'm still very much in the dark concerning the SOP system.

(in reply to AH4Ever)
Post #: 12
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/3/2010 1:51:42 PM   
AH4Ever

I'm not overjoyed by the lack of mission control or that when ships encounter each other there is no way to send more assets into the battle.

Thank you for thinking I know more than I do, it's always nice to be well thought of.

JJMC

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 13
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/3/2010 2:09:33 PM   
Uxbridge

Well, once I figured out what those initial stood for some way back, your status rised immensely. You haven't disappointed me this far. But I always wondered about your avatar. What goes on in your head?

And we're still waiting for: The groups move individually, but can they attack individually? Can a battlegroup move to an area, discover a patrolgroup there and attack it? And, if so, can the same player then bring in more units, striking the lone patrolgroup until it's finished? Or do the naval combat of the game take place between turns, as it is now?

(in reply to AH4Ever)
Post #: 14
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/3/2010 8:54:31 PM   
Romdanzer

Uxbridge - AH4Ever - you guys have to remember though the fundamental Problem of time scale with respect to Naval Warfare in a game which also has Land Warfare on this scale.

In 1 Week's time a tremendous amount can happen with respect to movement distance with Naval Warfare, but in respect to movement distance in Land Warfare 1 week is not all that much in camparison.

Every simulation game on these scales such as ToW, Third Reich, WiF, ...etc... has this problem.

For example the command attributes you are talking about with "discovering a enemy patrol group and calling in other ships to attack it" - well that is timescale on the order of like 12-24 hours with Naval warfare.... for the question arises: Why can't the enemy react in similar fashion once he see's you moving in and also call reinforcements? Within 48 hours reinforcements could be moving in and arriving from both sides, completely changeing the original situation..... and all this in an altogether shorter time frame than the 1 week timeframe of ToW. You need a game like Bitter Glory or Hearts of Iron which simulate every hour to have things like that possible.

So what do you do? ..... some compromise obviously where you in some form or fasion "summarize" all the Naval Combat dynamics that happened in 1 week in one result.... but I don't know really. I have yet to see a game with relatively "large" turn time frames (i.e. ones where the turn is 1 week or longer) come up with a really satisfying and yet simple Naval Warfare simulation and not become too complex about it like for example "War in the Pacific" - which easily become niche-games for diehards.

Romdanzer

< Message edited by Romdanzer -- 3/3/2010 9:12:11 PM >

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 15
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/3/2010 9:26:23 PM   
AH4Ever

Your points are indeed valid, I guess it comes down to hoping that the grass is actually greener when you finally get to the other side.

As it stands now I would like to see the game played out on the main map. There are certainly quite a few hexes available for it.

JJMC

(in reply to Romdanzer)
Post #: 16
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/4/2010 7:49:53 AM   
Anraz

Romdanzer`s nimble words clarified our concerns very well. The bigger  theater the more difficult to reconcile hours with weeks. That is why we left naval battles between turns.

(in reply to AH4Ever)
Post #: 17
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 3/4/2010 12:33:53 PM   
Uxbridge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anraz

Romdanzer`s nimble words clarified our concerns very well. The bigger  theater the more difficult to reconcile hours with weeks. That is why we left naval battles between turns.

Ah, finally!! There was probably the answer.

One moves the groups one by one during the turn, then all combats are resolved pretty much as before, at the end/beginning of each turn? That's fine by me.

(in reply to Anraz)
Post #: 18
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 4/12/2010 1:34:05 PM   
borsook79

1. Raiders inflicting damage on their attackers.

2. Delayed production of "specialized" units.

3. Less passive AI

4. Tweaking down Strategic Bombers

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 19
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 5/4/2010 9:35:08 PM   
zoot

retreating units caused by combat results should not have a zone of control which cuts attackers supply off.
Red army should defend cities and not leave them empty, they are important to German supply.
What happen to Soviet partisans? There are plenty of Polish.Enable the AI to see that it is being bagged and then fight its way out instead of just letting the units sit there.
Keep the British and french navy from just sitting in the north sea and getting bombed to dust every turn.
Have British units in France actually attack the Germans.
Just some thoughts
Zoot

Post #: 20
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 5/5/2010 1:55:51 AM   
Hairog

I know the point is probably moot at this point but I still hate to see submarines mixed up in the same fleets as surface ships.

Better explained diplomacy rule. I still don't know what's going on in TOW.

Limited number of level one infantry divisions alowed. Currently in a game I'm playing the battle of France is a zerg fest with all these level one inf divisions running around. It looks silly and IMO not very historical at least on the Western front. It reminds me of that academy in the American civil war that sent out those school boys to be slaughtered. They are just cannon fodder and have no hope of survival and are just there to get in the way. Some kind of overrun is needed maybe.

WW III 1946 Books
SC3 EAW WW Three 1946 Mod and Naval Mods
WarPlan and WarPlan Pac Alpha and Be

Post #: 21
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 5/24/2010 6:39:48 PM   
von altair

- Tactical Bombers are taking way too much damage against land units. Almost everytime it
makes a fly, even against tech level 1 russian division at open field. A unit which is in 10% str
and almost 0 efficient, tech 2 full str bomber takes a hit! This needs tweaking!

- Tactical Bombers at sea attacks DOESNT take casualties and scores a hit quite often... I think
UK CV/BB/CA will have better AA than poor level russian divisions :)

- Barbarossa 1941 scenario has a poor design. German units which should be
ready for the biggest offensive in mankind, are not even full str. I understand, that
they aren't full at 42 or later, but at 41 they should be. If balance needs it, then
there must be less units in the west or something. Germans had everything they had
at the east in that time.

- My game crashed 5 times in 2 hours of gametime... (1.7 with hotfix)

- Finnish armies are way too weak. Russians are walking over them now and then, which was not
the case in realtime. Finland needs a small powerboost on units in 41 scenario.

- Never saw number 6 while combat is dicing with D6 (I think this issue is known). Or I am a blind.

- Had to attack russian tank division 7 times after it fled (in a bink of destruction). Had to use whole north
German army, to chase one fukking fleeing tank division. A division which was surrounded many turns
and it keeps fleeing to enemy territory, even to a enemy city! Camoon!

< Message edited by von altair -- 5/24/2010 6:47:11 PM >

"An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?"

"Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?"

-Axel Oxenstierna

(in reply to Hairog)
Post #: 22
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 6/3/2010 8:27:06 PM   
Hairog

Somehow be able to mod the special events and then hide them so that only the modder can change them. This would make for more real world uncertainties. No longer would I know that I have to do A+B+C to have D happen. Modders could alter special events and hopefully, within logic, produce some uncertainty.

Example: In real life did the French or Germans know that Vichy France was a possibility? Yet it is one of the main goals of players. You have to take this city and that city to trigger Vichy. 

Some kind of modable, lockable special events folder.

Oh and please put headers on the columns and rows in the .cvs files. It's a pain to try and figure out what they are. How do you modders do it?

(in reply to von altair)
Post #: 23
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 6/4/2010 9:36:53 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: von altair

- Tactical Bombers are taking way too much damage against land units. Almost everytime it
makes a fly, even against tech level 1 russian division at open field. A unit which is in 10% str
and almost 0 efficient, tech 2 full str bomber takes a hit! This needs tweaking!

- Tactical Bombers at sea attacks DOESNT take casualties and scores a hit quite often... I think
UK CV/BB/CA will have better AA than poor level russian divisions :)

- Barbarossa 1941 scenario has a poor design. German units which should be
ready for the biggest offensive in mankind, are not even full str. I understand, that
they aren't full at 42 or later, but at 41 they should be. If balance needs it, then
there must be less units in the west or something. Germans had everything they had
at the east in that time.

- My game crashed 5 times in 2 hours of gametime... (1.7 with hotfix)

- Finnish armies are way too weak. Russians are walking over them now and then, which was not
the case in realtime. Finland needs a small powerboost on units in 41 scenario.

- Never saw number 6 while combat is dicing with D6 (I think this issue is known). Or I am a blind.

- Had to attack russian tank division 7 times after it fled (in a bink of destruction). Had to use whole north
German army, to chase one fukking fleeing tank division. A division which was surrounded many turns
and it keeps fleeing to enemy territory, even to a enemy city! Camoon!

Agree with all of the above, not so many crashes, but I save regularly just in case.

On the last point, I would add that units should not be able to retreat back into hexes that they have already retreated from, in that turn. It is unlikely that units will run back into the cauldron that they have just been driven from. If there is no other hex to move to, they should be destroyed and not bounce back and forth between the same hexes.

(in reply to von altair)
Post #: 24
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 6/12/2010 6:35:47 PM   
Uxbridge

One change that shouldn't be too complicated to implement, is a quick jump feature. The 1-9 keys aren't doing anything useful in ToW. Suppose you're playing Britain. By marking London, pressing CTRL plus the figure "1" you will assign this key to the capital. When the player then press "1" in the game, he's automatically transfered to this area with the chosen hex in the center. The same player could then mark "2" for Alexandria, "3" for Malta, "4" for some convenient hex in the BEF area in France and so on. By pressing the keys in succession, he can jump through his priority areas very quickly.

This would ease up on the endless scrolling and sometimes difficult clicking on mini map.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 25
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 6/16/2010 12:59:14 PM   
AH4Ever

quote:

... a quick jump feature. The 1-9 keys aren't doing anything useful in ToW.

This would ease up on the endless scrolling and sometimes difficult clicking on mini map.

This is a simply superb suggestion!

JJMC

(in reply to Uxbridge)
Post #: 26
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 6/16/2010 11:55:46 PM   
Bleck

quote:

ORIGINAL: AH4Ever

quote:

... a quick jump feature. The 1-9 keys aren't doing anything useful in ToW.

This is a simply superb suggestion!

And already implemented for patch :) Ctrl+[0-9] to bind location, [0-9] to go to this location. :)

Wastelands Interactive member (Programmer)

(in reply to AH4Ever)
Post #: 27
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 6/17/2010 12:07:31 AM   
cpdeyoung

That is wonderful.  Looking forward to this patch with much anticipation!

Chuck

(in reply to Bleck)
Post #: 28
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 6/17/2010 7:56:28 PM   
Tomokatu

Yippee!!

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 29
RE: Wish list for a possible new patch - 6/17/2010 10:39:47 PM   
neiljoven

My humble request as a new arrived is:
1)to have the main supply value of one nation individually and dynamically adjustable by event.
Something like the convoy event that get's partial success, but on land...

Example: "Harsh Soviet Winter: supply goes to 25. All units will have this supply value". Suddenly you cannot resupply that Panzer Korp you sent too far...

Another [wow, I am asking too much, I beg for pardon!]: to have for land units an adjustable parameter to allow the strategic movement, like the one the air units have in consts.csv
#Min supply for air units' strategic movement;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
#fighter;Tact bomber;strategic bombers;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
15;15;15;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

3) [I know... don't get mad with me] is to allow the newly purchased units to force the deployment only on the original owned territory and then move by SM [well... if you still have some left ]

(in reply to Tomokatu)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Wish list for a possible new patch Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI