Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Release Plan

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Release Plan Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Release Plan - 3/13/2010 11:42:51 PM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

It's all gone a bit quiet around here all of a sudden.

Yeah, It's nice when a forum has much activity. If the thread "Hits" are any indication of activity on Distant Worlds forum then it seems like there many continue to browse here. Maybe, most are non registered, "Lurkers".

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 61
RE: Release Plan - 3/14/2010 6:23:05 PM   
Westheim

I don't mind if it's released on the 23rd or 26th or 34th ... I need a new laptop first - the system requirements are locking me out with the laptop I own ...

Don't be scared - I'm almost sure that I just want to play!

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 62
RE: Release Plan - 3/14/2010 6:52:10 PM   
Wade1000

The 34th would be alright. But if they need more time then they should not rush, but wait til the 6th week of next month, maybe on the 32nd.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Westheim)
Post #: 63
RE: Release Plan - 3/14/2010 8:00:58 PM   
Gargantou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

The 34th would be alright. But if they need more time then they should not rush, but wait til the 6th week of next month, maybe on the 32nd.

Oh you!

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 64
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 3:57:27 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

Or do an active DAR. Add to it once each day or something.

Once I get DW up and running, I plan on doing a DAR, like I did for FoF with my UnCivil War DAR.

Good Hunting.

MR

Notice that this says I don't have DW YET!!! That means I'm not one that is capable of doing a DAR at the moment. No need to PM me telling me you're waiting for MY DAR yet....give me a couple of months before you start to get antsy about anything from my universe.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 65
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 4:56:32 AM   
Wade1000

Rants are cool.

Refine the game for another couple months, please.
Yes...really. Incomplete, beta-stage, released strategy games are so annoying, played out, and often don't succeed much.
Though, if Distant Worlds IS ready for release then that will be swell.
-----

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2393647 ('Code Force and Matrix Games, please do not rush release Distant Worlds.' thread)

Heh. In general I simply say that the game should not be rushed. It should be delayed IF they feel that the game's quality needs more time to complete. If you disagree then you want the game rushed and accept any potential risks to game quality that might result. You want a rushed game. If you say that you don't then you are actually in agreement with me but uncertain of your opinion.
-----

So, maybe you have liked the state of rushed games you might have played. So, you have maybe justified them because there would be many update fixes from a then very much larger pool of unwitting beta testing-like players that had then purchased the apparently unfinished games.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/18/2010 8:28:04 PM >

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 66
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 9:58:29 AM   
Gargantou

Wouldn't releasing it commercially technically means they got a larger user group from which to get feedback and bug-reports for future patches, hence speeding up the improvement of the product?

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 67
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 5:28:26 PM   
Gertjan

Wade, it seems that you like anticipation of the game better than playing it. perhaps you should imagine your own game, but then a release date which is in 2000 years.

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 68
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 5:50:34 PM   
Webbco

Haha.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 69
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 8:28:58 PM   
Wade1000

So, maybe you have liked the state of rushed games you might have played. So, you have maybe justified them because there would be many update fixes from a then very much larger pool of unwitting beta testing-like players that had then purchased the apparently unfinished games.
-----

So, maybe you were satisfied with unfinished, sub standard products.

So, maybe you were happy with the negative publicity towards those rushed, unfinished games of the past.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/18/2010 9:00:19 PM >

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 70
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 8:50:20 PM   
Shark7

quote:

So, maybe you have liked the state of rushed games you might have played. So, you have maybe justified them because there would be many update fixes from a then very much larger pool of unwitting beta testing-like players that had then purchased the apparently unfinished games.

Hmm, let's see...MOO3 was rushed and it was wonderful. So great the few fans of the franchise that didn't give up finally had to recode the game to fix it and make it playable.

So I'm with ya, I'd rather wait than get another rushed game, I don't want to pay to beta-test their code for them.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 71
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 8:52:00 PM   
Wade1000

Thankyou, Shark.
-----

Rushed game advocates;
so, maybe you were satisfied with unfinished, sub standard products.

So, maybe you were happy with the negative publicity towards those rushed, unfinished games of the past.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/18/2010 9:02:01 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 72
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 9:24:25 PM   
ASHBERY76

I am now happy for the delay because bombarding has been added.Being able to bombard prawns was more important that pretty pictures in my book.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 73
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 10:10:12 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I am now happy for the delay because bombarding has been added.Being able to bombard prawns was more important that pretty pictures in my book.

And that is a good thing that happened from the delay. I'm in the 'Get it right or don't release it' camp. I've gotten far too many rushed games and they all end up being frustrating with the game disks being only useful as drink coasters.

Get it right rather than get it fast please.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 74
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 10:13:05 PM   
Aurelian

Been enjoying Duke Nukem: Forever myself.

Oh wait......

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 75
RE: Release Plan - 3/18/2010 10:40:09 PM   
impact

The point here is, I believe, that one can be rather sure that the devs and publishers got the message after about a billion forum posts about it. I am sure that constructive input is always welcome and good ideas will be gladly received and added to the game at one or another stage, as this is obviously the policy of customer-friendly companies like Code Force and Matrix Games, but crying out the same message over and over again or referring to it in every other post one makes can become redundant quickly and might at some point start being considered "spamming" by some users.
Just let the people do their jobs, the beta testers assured us they did great so far and the screenshots, feature list and video footage support that statement strongly.
And should some people feel worried because of bad examples like MoO3, I would ask them to remember that in these particular cases the features that would have made those games great were promised, but never made it into the final version. Distant Worlds however appears to be finished except for the artwork, so the feature list that is being promoted with the game is what is actually already in there.
Being a software developer myself I can tell you one well-known wisdom in our industry: Never add additional features when you are too close to your release date. Doing so is risky, as those new features might invite bugs and imbalances, considering that there is usually not the time to test them as thoroughly as the original feature-set.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 76
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 12:19:49 AM   
Wade1000

Bad point.

I have been posting my reoccuring message about opposition to rushing Distant Worlds only when I see that others are posting reoccuring messages advocating rushing Distant Worlds(like you maybe just did).
If you think that maybe I am spamming then it should apply that you also think that maybe those others are spamming messages that have already been duplicated by many others.

quote:

ORIGINAL:  impact
but crying out the same message over and over again or referring to it in every other post one makes can become redundant quickly and might at some point start being considered "spamming" by some users.

Go cry more (QQ).
Don't tell other forum members what not to post. Just post your own.
Let the developers make any decisions they like while reading our posts.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/19/2010 1:55:57 AM >

(in reply to impact)
Post #: 77
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 12:48:56 AM   
Leglaen

Wade, I've been lurking here for some time (and enjoyed reading up on DW).

You are correct that you can post what you like--this is a part of the freedom of the Internet.

However, you have agreed to certain restrictions on your freedom by signing up to Matrix's forums. They have the right to control what is posted here. Now, I certainly don't think you've posted anything that is obscene or akin to that; but you have created a flurry of posts which tend to focus on what you want in DW.

Again, that's not a problem--but by registering and posting here on Matrix you have entered into a regulated relationship.

At the very least, I don't think it is polite or proper behavior to continue on a one-track mindset of demand. True, you are the customer--but the natural dignity of human beings (at least) should make you pause and attempt to recognize the gravity of the situation.

For instance, you have constantly bugged for a longer period of beta-testing and not rushing DW. Ok, fine, great, tell Matrix that...once or twice, but in virtually every thread on here? I think Mr. Rutkins and Elliot can read. They understand your perspective.

By the way, that goes for those who want the game NOW...of course we want to play the game. Yet harping on the release date (though good for marketing and such) does at some point become irresponsible.

I certainly have little "pull" or influence here--I merely say these things as a human who likes for folks to respect one another. It can get tense in here the weeks before release. That's understandable. What is less understandable is the continual refrain for now now now or wait wait wait.

Lest anyone assume I am a 'fanboy' or whatnot for Matrix, let me say that I've had some unhappy experiences with them back in the day (due to computer troubles et al). I still intend to buy DW.

Feel free to push back...

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 78
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 1:43:05 AM   
Aurelian

I think I've said it brfore. It will be released when ready.

I also have to say that this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2393647 should of been enough.

It brings to mind a scene from Hogan's Heroes.

Klink : "There's never been a successful escape from Stalag 13!!!!"

Burkhalter: "So you've told me........... And told me............ And told me."

< Message edited by Aurelian -- 3/19/2010 1:46:46 AM >

(in reply to Leglaen)
Post #: 79
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 2:00:53 AM   
magickoji

quote:

Bad point.

I have been posting my reoccuring message about opposition to rushing Distant Worlds only when I see that others are posting reoccuring messages advocating rushing Distant Worlds(like you maybe just did).
If you think that maybe I am spamming then it should apply that you also think that maybe those others are spamming messages that have already been duplicated by many others.

quote:

ORIGINAL:  impact
but crying out the same message over and over again or referring to it in every other post one makes can become redundant quickly and might at some point start being considered "spamming" by some users.

Go cry more (QQ).
Don't tell other forum members what not to post. Just post your own.
Let the developers make any decisions they like while reeading our posts.

I see that I'm not the only one that thinks Wade is a spammer. Just ignore him. Too bad there isn't a way to NOT see certain peoples posts. I'll have to check into that.

Also let's take a vote, since Wade doesn't mind waiting... Lets let everyone else get the Game and enjoy it. While he waits for it to be perfected and not rushed. :)

edit: Also very good post Leglaen. :)

edit2: cool I just got a star... not a matrix recruit anymore.

< Message edited by magickoji -- 3/19/2010 2:14:17 AM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 80
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 2:04:31 AM   
Wade1000

Others being impatient and making many posts of rushing the game gets old also. Again, mostly, my posts about not rushing the game have been in response to those. My posts have been placed at relevant locations and threads.
If the moderators think there is an issue then they can contact me.
I don't think there are any issues except when others try telling someone else what or how to post. I have not been telling anyone how or what to post.
I have been making suggestions in my posts, not demands to the devolpers. Yes, I think my suggestions are often...exuberant, but that is also what I like to see in the posts of others.

These negative posts directed towards me are odd since forums are for posting ideas and opinions about relevant topics. Members should not be telling others what or how to post.
Those posts telling others how or what to post might often seem to be trolling.

Good day.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/19/2010 2:16:55 AM >

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 81
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 2:13:14 AM   
magickoji

quote:

Others being impatient and making many posts of rushing the game gets old also. Again, mostly, my posts about not rushing the game have been in response to those. My posts have been placed at relevant locations and threads.
If the moderators think there is an issue then they can contact me. I don't think there are any issues except when others try telling someone else what or how to post.

Good day.

Nobody's saying to rush the game Wade. We all just want it when the developers release it. Your the one who seems to want it not to be released anytime soon. Or if it is released soon. You feel that it's been rushed.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 82
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 2:25:38 AM   
Wade1000

Yes, I think my suggestions are often...exuberant, but that is also what I like to see in the posts of others.

Many others HAVE been advocating rushing the game, saying they want it NOW even though devolpers say it is not yet ready. Yes, that might just be those posters exuberance but so are my posts often in response to theirs. Yet I dont mind seeing their posts.

I have not suggested that if it is released soon that it will positively have been rushed and incomplete. I HAVE stated that if the game IS ready and released then that would be swell. It seems that some of the forum members are selective reading interpretring.

quote:

I am just expressing that the game should be released in good condition. That should be expected...well not if amongst fans of the practice of rushing the release beta quality games of many examples lately. If Distant Worlds IS in good condition then, yes, it will be good to have and enjoy.

quote:

Rants are cool.

Refine the game for another couple months, please.
Yes...really. Incomplete, beta-stage, released strategy are so annoying, played out, and often don't succeed much.
Though, if Distant Worlds IS ready for release then that will be swell.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2393647

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/19/2010 5:32:53 AM >

(in reply to magickoji)
Post #: 83
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 2:27:04 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargantou
Also, I have to ask, what does "a chip on your shoulder" mean?

I've always understood it to come from when someone is looking for a fight, and wants/dares you to knock the chip (small piece of wood) off his shoulder and see what happens.

Popular myth says it originated in England over a workers strike, something to do with workers no longer being allowed to carry wood chips home off the work site and the dispute that followed. When authorities tried to stop them they barged past them carrying the chips on their shoulders. Something they had always been allowed to do up till then.

Today it's known more to mean someone has a grudge or agenda and cannot be placated no matter what you may try.

Jim

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 84
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 2:30:19 AM   
impact

"We all just want it when the developers release it." - Yes, that much is true. And we are all looking forward to a great game that we will spend many hours having fun with. We all want the same thing, so please let us remember that and not start a senseless flamewar in what has been a friendly and helpful community so far.
All I would like to ask is for people to mind their manners. Posting the same opinion over and over again - be it that the game should be released as soon as possible or that the release should be delayed for whatever reason - is trying to push your own agenda. Of course we would all be happy with the game being released yesterday in a perfect, bug-free state with all the features we could ever dream of included. It's obviously just so that some people have a hard time waiting, because of the anticipation (which I completely understand, as I feel the same way) and others react to it, as they are worried that those people are being heard, the release will be pushed by the devs or the publishers even though the game won't be ready.
Both are valid opinions, but it is not necessary and becomes redundant even to the point where it starts to become annoying when it's being repeated over and over again and printed in bold letters (which is just as bad as writing in caps) in almost every forum threat.
This is nothing personal against anybody, as I am sure everyone involved only means well. Let us remember that we all have this strong interest and anticipation for DW in common and behave civilized, treat each other with respect and decency.
The reason why I felt the need to say something in the first place was not to attack anybody, but to simply state that their message was heard loud and clear and that I would very much appreciate it if they could dial back on advertising the same opinions.

Edit: Corrected a few typos...

< Message edited by impact -- 3/19/2010 2:33:29 AM >

(in reply to magickoji)
Post #: 85
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 2:34:00 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargantou
Also, I have to ask, what does "a chip on your shoulder" mean?

I've always understood it to come from when someone is looking for a fight, and wants/dares you to knock the chip (small piece of wood) off his shoulder and see what happens.

Popular myth says it originated in England over a workers strike, something to do with workers no longer being allowed to carry wood chips home off the work site and the dispute that followed. When authorities tried to stop them they barged past them carrying the chips on their shoulders. Something they had always been allowed to do up till then.

Today it's known more to mean someone has a grudge or agenda and cannot be placated no matter what you may try.

Jim

Yeah, "a chip on one's shoulder" is about a few meanings; looking for a fight, looking for an argument, or keeping a grudge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chip_on_your_shoulder

Heh, by the way, that's NOT what I am trying to do with my posts. It seems now that some of my posts are about defending myself against those trying to tell me what or how to post.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 86
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 2:36:36 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi

'A picture is worth a thousand words'

Then Wade1000 this is for you:

(image removed by Mod)

That's an uninstigated attack on me and is trolling. It's most likely against the forum rules.
Bad troll is bad.

Some of you mostly seemed cool and kind previously. Again, though,
it seems now that some of my posts are about defending myself against those trying to tell me what or how to post.

< Message edited by elliotg -- 3/19/2010 9:09:14 AM >

Post #: 87
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 2:57:57 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: impact

"We all just want it when the developers release it." - Yes, that much is true. And we are all looking forward to a great game that we will spend many hours having fun with. We all want the same thing, so please let us remember that and not start a senseless flamewar in what has been a friendly and helpful community so far.
All I would like to ask is for people to mind their manners. Posting the same opinion over and over again - be it that the game should be released as soon as possible or that the release should be delayed for whatever reason - is trying to push your own agenda. Of course we would all be happy with the game being released yesterday in a perfect, bug-free state with all the features we could ever dream of included. It's obviously just so that some people have a hard time waiting, because of the anticipation (which I completely understand, as I feel the same way) and others react to it, as they are worried that those people are being heard, the release will be pushed by the devs or the publishers even though the game won't be ready.
Both are valid opinions, but it is not necessary and becomes redundant even to the point where it starts to become annoying when it's being repeated over and over again and printed in bold letters (which is just as bad as writing in caps) in almost every forum threat.
This is nothing personal against anybody, as I am sure everyone involved only means well. Let us remember that we all have this strong interest and anticipation for DW in common and behave civilized, treat each other with respect and decency.
The reason why I felt the need to say something in the first place was not to attack anybody, but to simply state that their message was heard loud and clear and that I would very much appreciate it if they could dial back on advertising the same opinions.

Edit: Corrected a few typos...

I agree.

(in reply to impact)
Post #: 88
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 3:53:45 AM   
Firehawk153

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leglaen

Wade, I've been lurking here for some time (and enjoyed reading up on DW).

You are correct that you can post what you like--this is a part of the freedom of the Internet.

However, you have agreed to certain restrictions on your freedom by signing up to Matrix's forums. They have the right to control what is posted here. Now, I certainly don't think you've posted anything that is obscene or akin to that; but you have created a flurry of posts which tend to focus on what you want in DW.

Again, that's not a problem--but by registering and posting here on Matrix you have entered into a regulated relationship.

At the very least, I don't think it is polite or proper behavior to continue on a one-track mindset of demand. True, you are the customer--but the natural dignity of human beings (at least) should make you pause and attempt to recognize the gravity of the situation.

For instance, you have constantly bugged for a longer period of beta-testing and not rushing DW. Ok, fine, great, tell Matrix that...once or twice, but in virtually every thread on here? I think Mr. Rutkins and Elliot can read. They understand your perspective.

By the way, that goes for those who want the game NOW...of course we want to play the game. Yet harping on the release date (though good for marketing and such) does at some point become irresponsible.

I certainly have little "pull" or influence here--I merely say these things as a human who likes for folks to respect one another. It can get tense in here the weeks before release. That's understandable. What is less understandable is the continual refrain for now now now or wait wait wait.

Lest anyone assume I am a 'fanboy' or whatnot for Matrix, let me say that I've had some unhappy experiences with them back in the day (due to computer troubles et al). I still intend to buy DW.

Feel free to push back...

You should have seen Wade on the Space Empires V forum, but even then it was never THIS bad...

(in reply to Leglaen)
Post #: 89
RE: Release Plan - 3/19/2010 4:05:47 AM   
Wade1000

That's an odd statement. On the Space Empires 5 forum about the only thread I was really active on was the wish list thread. Even on that my activity was mostly in the early part of it as I told...well...my wishes; like many others did also.

Maybe you are trolling with your post and I bit.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/19/2010 5:29:01 AM >

(in reply to Firehawk153)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Release Plan Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI