Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Pacific (TV Show)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: The Pacific (TV Show) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/15/2010 7:12:21 PM   
sfbaytf

The LCA in the one scene. I'm wondering if that was a computer generated image. Don't know how many are still in existance and that may be a factor as to why there are more LCVPs shown. I thought the show was pretty good but do agree that the character development isn't as strong as Band of Brothers-perhaps the budget and amount of material they wanted to cover wouldn't allow for it.

Ideally I would have liked to have seen the naval battles covered more-at least around Guadalcanal as it was a very vital part of the overall battle and had an enourmous effect on the campaign. Even if they couldn't have possibly written in naval characters some sort of narrative and computer generated images of the brutal naval battles would have really added to the overall story.

(in reply to Roko)
Post #: 61
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/15/2010 8:30:41 PM   
John Lansford

I doubt there were any front unloading ramp landing craft at Guadalcanal.

(in reply to sfbaytf)
Post #: 62
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/15/2010 8:44:27 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: jeffs

Several points... I have lived in Japan the last 20 years.....
The fashion is interesting. But I think Japanese women put themselves together fashion wise (on average) much better than women in other
Asian countries and probably better than the US. Yes, there are some rather strange fashions here...But as was pointed out, there is weird stuff in US/Europe.

We live so far out in the country that we don't have cable nor do we receive any television stations. So I don't get to watch it unless and until I end up in a motel someday that happens to show it. On the flip side, though, in its place I might re-read "Do or Die Men" about Tulagi/Guadalcanal, an exceptionally well-written book.

On a more somber note, I am very concerned that comments like that by jeffs may encourage RevRick to re-post that agonizing, horrendous image of the woman (transvestite?) wearing the red, white, and blue outift.

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 63
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/15/2010 11:08:52 PM   
Gem35

I also dont have HBO(by choice) so I will be getting it on DVD. Just do me a favor, don't tell me who wins ok guys?

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 64
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 12:01:06 AM   
Swayin

Part 1 was fabulous last night -- the night battle at Alligator Creek on Guadalcanal was amazingly done. Mostly set the tone for what was to come, introduced us to to the folks we're going to get to know better in the 9 weeks to come. Unlike BoB, The Pacific took us right to the fight instead of the first hour being a look at their training ("Curahee!"). This was, mostly, because the three main protagonists are not in the same squad. The vast majority of the content in this comes from the memoirs of these three guys, one of whom, John Basilone, was a CMOH winner.

The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

(in reply to Lifer)
Post #: 65
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 12:06:07 AM   
Swayin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brady

Anyone catch the errors in the opening sceans?

Like the Nells over Pearl?

(in reply to Brady)
Post #: 66
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 1:37:56 AM   
jeffs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gem35

quote:

On a more somber note, I am very concerned that comments like that by jeffs may encourage RevRick to re-post that agonizing, horrendous image of the woman (transvestite?) wearing the red, white, and blue outift.

I will refrain from further commentary on that subject..That image was more gory than most after battle photos of the dead.

To quote from Evans/Peattie`s {Kaigun}
"Mistakes in operations and tactics can be corrected, but
political and strategic mistakes live forever". The authors were refering to Japan but the same could be said of the US misadventure in Iraq

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 67
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 2:46:10 AM   
Cajun Tifoso

I really enjoyed the first episode last night; although, it did seem a bit rushed. I cannot put my finger on it, but it seemed like there was a rush to get some shooting into the first episode. Another criticism is that there was not enough character development. I understand that the story will follow three grunts - Lucky, Sledgehammer and Baslione - but they didn't seem to develop the characters as well as Band of Brothers. But, it is only the first episode and is probably too early to make that comparison.

My concern may be because I had just re-read With the Old Breed and Helmet for my Pillow recently. In fact, the firefight at the Tenaru was pretty accurate, but the effectiveness of the machine guns was due to Lucky/Lew (aka Chuckler) and another guy known as "The Gentleman." But, I can see where it made for a better story to have Lucky/Lew the heroes. Also, Lucky referred to their friends in the river as crocodiles, not alligators.

But on the upside, they got Chesty's medals right and seemed portray his affection for his NCO's very well. As, an ex-Marine, that stuff is critical. The poisoned coconut bit was straight from the book. Hell, they even got the name of Sledge's dog right!!

Well, I have to get back to pretending to be an adult.

(in reply to jeffs)
Post #: 68
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 3:28:41 AM   
Feinder

For those of you who missed it, or don't have HBO (like me on both accounts), you can go to HBO.com and register an email addy, and can view the 1st episode online.

Definately good for the tension. If you're discussing the what wasn't quite right, some things I thought -
1. Hair too long.
2. Too bunched up on a several occasions (this may have been for the benefit for the camera shots tho).
3. It seems to me they would have sent actual patrols inland to make contact with the enemy, before moving the company inland. Looks as tho they were moving inland in column without actually having ~any~ idea where the Japanese were. But I (we) don't know the circumstances, as it is just from the perspective from the grunts.

A good start to the series tho.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Cajun Tifoso)
Post #: 69
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 5:03:40 AM   
zzodr

I'm wondering when they are going to do up their chinstraps on their helmets. 

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 70
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 5:03:54 AM   
Stele

I don't know if any of you know who Captain Dale Dye is; a former Marine who has been through combat in Vietnam, wrote a few books and articles, and has hosted a talk radio. He helped out with a lot of accuracies for Band of Brothers and The Pacific. If you remember, he played the regiment commander in BoB. If anyone aims for accuracy it is him. Whether it shows up as the final product in these episodes or not is one thing, as I'm sure the directors and producers might have something else in mind. Hopefully Dye and other consultants badgered the producers to get as much right as possible.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 71
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 7:41:44 AM   
Brady

Ya the Nells and the Ki-30 lept out at me.

Beta Team Member for:

WPO
PC
CF
AE
WiTE

Obi-wan Kenobi said it best: A lot of the reality we perceive depend on our point of view

(in reply to Stele)
Post #: 72
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 8:40:57 AM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: sfbaytf

The LCA in the one scene. I'm wondering if that was a computer generated image. Don't know how many are still in existance and that may be a factor as to why there are more LCVPs shown. I thought the show was pretty good but do agree that the character development isn't as strong as Band of Brothers-perhaps the budget and amount of material they wanted to cover wouldn't allow for it.

Ideally I would have liked to have seen the naval battles covered more-at least around Guadalcanal as it was a very vital part of the overall battle and had an enourmous effect on the campaign. Even if they couldn't have possibly written in naval characters some sort of narrative and computer generated images of the brutal naval battles would have really added to the overall story.

Agreed but as the focus is the marine on the ground the naval battles I guess will go on ahead in the background.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to sfbaytf)
Post #: 73
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 8:44:07 AM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: _Stele

I don't know if any of you know who Captain Dale Dye is; a former Marine who has been through combat in Vietnam, wrote a few books and articles, and has hosted a talk radio. He helped out with a lot of accuracies for Band of Brothers and The Pacific. If you remember, he played the regiment commander in BoB. If anyone aims for accuracy it is him. Whether it shows up as the final product in these episodes or not is one thing, as I'm sure the directors and producers might have something else in mind. Hopefully Dye and other consultants badgered the producers to get as much right as possible.

Quite liked the boot camp they showed you in the BoB DvD boxed set were he got the actors to call themselves by their 'war' names, ie their characters names, to ease immersion. In this first ep some level of accuracy was achieved in the equipment carried by the marines into combat. As to the 37mm anti-tank gun its there, you get two shots from behind the gun and you can make out the shield in shilouette, and I'm sure you here an artillery retort that isnt a mortar at several points during the sand bar.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Stele)
Post #: 74
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 1:10:02 PM   
jomni

I can't seem to watch online from HBO.com.
It's region restricted.

(in reply to Roko)
Post #: 75
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 1:18:45 PM   
Misconduct

I recorded the first episode last night in 1080p HDTV, should be interesting to watch 

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 76
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 4:15:55 PM   
freeboy

I got a freebe last night with a non pay sation as I do not subscribe to hbo, I was thinking it was going to SUC as the comments where so neg, BUT found it good overall, not at all the downer, and thought the portrayal was what I like, looking at what they men are facing... seems things got really bad, I wonder how they will portraythe huge problems with jungle diseases... and one thing I missed was the days count they did in Bob, all in all I do not agree with the poster who hated this... personally the thing that bothered me was the rediculas packing ofthe harboe in odd cgi.. looked to me more like ships in space! lol but again found the show emersive and will definately be watching other free episodes 

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 77
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 6:39:18 PM   
AcePylut

SPOILER ALERT:

I wrote this on another forum, one not populated by WW2 Geeky Gamer Grogs like myself.

------------

I  was a little disappointed in it.  It seemed very rushed.

I mean, "hey this guy wants to enter boot camp, oh wait, it's Aug 7th and we're invading Guadalcanar, oh wait, here's some obligatory combat, the end"...  it was ok for me because I know the history of the Pac War like the back of my hand... but for the average viewer, I wonder if they were thinking "wait, the japs were kicking butt for 6 months, but now we're invading an island.  Did ANYTHING happen in between, that might give us that hint of why we *could* go on the offensive... you know... a hint that 4 fleet carriers of the Kido Butai were now artificial reefs buried a couple hundred miles off a speck of an island?

I was really disappointed in the firefight.  That was the Battle of the Tenryu (wrongly named, but that's what it was called).  800 Japs rushed a sandbar over an evening, all were dead.  It seemed like they are more interested in getting a couple of the "fine details" right (like the single strand of barb wire over the sandbar at the mouth of "alligator creek"), than making the battle "scary".  They didn't call it alligator creek for nothing....I wanted to "hear" the crocodiles eating the dead soldiers in the middle of the night, like Leike said happened in his book.  I really felt let down by that scene.  Maybe because i had been waiting to see that specific action gets its due for a long long long time and wanted to see everything, dunno.

This Pacific war was brutal in ways that the European war wasn't... and while I'm glad that they hinted at the brutalness of it (the patrol that was sliced and diced), I didn't get that feel of "no mercy" that was the Pacific War.  They spent more time showing the US marines callously sniping at the Jap soldier and laughing, tormenting him, then they did "describing" the patrol (They were tied to a tree, tortured, hands cut off, penis's chopped off and shoved down their throats until the soldiers suffocated - the show could have mentioned this, so that the viewer had a better reason to understand of "why" the Marines went bloodthirsty). 

They hinted at the Marines being stranded (when they looked at the ocean and the fleet was gone) on the 'Canal, but not once did I get the sense that they were battling the elements as much as the enemy.  Where was the relentless rain, misquitos, crocs in the river, snakes, malaria, jungle rot (hinted at), etc. etc. etc.  I didn't feel that Guadalcanal was as miserable as was described in all the books I've read about it.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 78
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 6:47:48 PM   
John Lansford

There was a lot to show in the first episode.  You had to have the obligatory "why we're fighting" scenes, and the ones with the men signing up (those that weren't already in the USMC), and only after all that do we get them heading for Guadalcanal.  That didn't leave a lot of time to show the landing, patrolling, being abandoned, jungle fighting, weather, diseases, loss of supplies, and the Tenaru battle.  They had to include all that and IMO they did a pretty good job of it.  Could they have emphasized more on some things?  Sure, but that would have come at the expense of something else, and they only had about 35 minutes to include everything in.

I suspect the next episode will be more in depth, and probably show the full scale battles on the ridges outside the airfield, possibly the BB bombardment as well.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 79
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 7:14:44 PM   
rhohltjr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Misconduct
Long as "The Pacific" doesn't turn out like that piece of crap movie Pearl Ha*bor was, then I will probably enjoy it.
/yes I know I added a star in there, not saying full name of that .

All in all I liked the SFX in that P.O.S movie(yeah the P40 chase scene was laughable).
The Doolittle raid was a complete work of fiction as it was depicted. But it did have some good SFX moments....
I enjoyed Cuba Goodings portrail of Dorie Miller(a Texan).

My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 80
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 7:28:13 PM   
John Lansford

There is nothing redeemable about the Movie That Shall Not Be Named.  Nothing at all.

The special effects?  You liked that the Oklahoma somehow lifted itself out of the water and rotated until it was upside down?  Or that there were modern USN ships in the harbor being attacked?  Or that apparently they blew the SFX budget on making the forward deck of Arizona buckle upward a few feet to simulate that appalling explosion?

No, it makes me feel ill just remembering those scenes.  Enough already.

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 81
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 7:49:04 PM   
rhohltjr

quote:

ORIGINAL: John Lansford
You liked that the Oklahoma somehow lifted itself out of the water and rotated until it was upside down?  Or that there were modern USN ships in the harbor being attacked?  Or that apparently they blew the SFX budget on making the forward deck of Arizona buckle upward a few feet to simulate that appalling explosion?

Uggh Not those scenes no. Perhaps the 1st person views of the Japanese pilots flying down battleship row
impressed me ...

My e-troops don't unload OVER THE BEACH anymore, see:
Amphibious Assault at Kota Bharu
TF 85 troops securing a beachhead at Kota Bharu, 51,75
whew! I still feel better.

(in reply to John Lansford)
Post #: 82
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 8:22:03 PM   
AcePylut

I think they would have done well to make it two episodes, not one.  With one, they barely touched on "everything" but didn't give you an indepth feel of "anything".  That's really my biggest complaint.

Something tells me that they are going to waste a lot of series-space to Manila John's "CMOH War Bond Tour".  Whoop-dee-doo.  Hope not.  I'd call that Epic Fail.  This series is supposed to be about the Marines in the Pacific, not a Marine on a war-bond tour at home.  Spending ANY time on the war-bond tour is a waste of valuable "Pacific" time.  Time that could be spent laying a better background for the series.

(in reply to rhohltjr)
Post #: 83
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 8:42:55 PM   
sayaret

Movie was ok ..nothing more. Its like i've seen it all before, same scenes, same moral dilemmas ..same uniforms. Yeah i would love a movie series made by S.Spielberg or C.Eastwood or Hollywood about german soldiers, even SS, that would be something refreshing. Leibstandarte, early years, training, russia, Normandy, Ardennes, Defeat :)

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 84
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 9:23:45 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

I think they would have done well to make it two episodes, not one. With one, they barely touched on "everything" but didn't give you an indepth feel of "anything". That's really my biggest complaint.

There was no time to get to know the characters. In Band of Brothers, you got to know them as they went through training. In Saving Private Ryan, you got to know them starting with the opening scenes and progressing to the landings. In The Pacific, I really don't have a clue about who they are or what they are about. I have no feeling of affinity for them at all.

There were a few things to nitpick about as there are in any war movie. The attention to detail was evident but one glaring error was the length of their hair. It's the same length when they were civillians as when they are Marines. I'm pretty sure that WWII Marines didn't allow long, curly hair over the ears. I could understand it if they had been in combat for awhile but not when they are first landing.

It also would have been nice if they had put a byline at the bottom to indicate the date of each event. Without it, it left you guessing as to how much time had passed.

Overall, I would give the first episode a C+.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 85
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 10:22:17 PM   
Swayin

quote:

I don't know if any of you know who Captain Dale Dye is; a former Marine who has been through combat in Vietnam, wrote a few books and articles, and has hosted a talk radio. He helped out with a lot of accuracies for Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

Dye is great, and has been in a ton of stuff; he was the advisor for "Platoon," and had the cameo as the CO who calls in the birds to "dump your remaining ammunition on my pos, I repeat, on my pos ..."

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 86
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 10:29:38 PM   
AcePylut

Man, I can't remember seeing a war movie without Dale Dye!

(in reply to Swayin)
Post #: 87
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 10:30:09 PM   
AcePylut

He was the Colonel of the 101st in BOB too :) Colonel Sink I think.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 88
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/16/2010 11:50:29 PM   
eMonticello

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Man, I can't remember seeing a war movie without Dale Dye!

His wife served as military advisor for The Pacific.

http://www.warriorsinc.com/

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example. -- Pudd'nhead Wilson

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 89
RE: The Pacific (TV Show) - 3/17/2010 3:08:45 AM   
jomni

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

He was the Colonel of the 101st in BOB too :) Colonel Sink I think.

He's also into video games.
Medal of Honor
Brothers in Arms

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: The Pacific (TV Show) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI