Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/5/2010 10:31:36 AM   
jomni

Take a look at the comments posed in the "The Pacific" thead in WITP forums.
Looks like most people there like the series.  These people who play WITP and are very knowledgable about the PTO seems to find the series good enough.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 121
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/5/2010 2:49:37 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

None of the guff I've heard here surprises me, as it seems that some of you expect the real-life experiences of these Marines to play out like a DAR of one of your wargames.

Whoah!! These are slices of history and need to be told correctly. Minor technical glitches like ramped higgin's boats vs. non-ramped higgins boat or whether they had their arms slung or not when behind the lines is bunk. The history needs to be correct. Episode 8 should have ended with Mrs. John Basilone recieving the Navy Cross postumously for her husband then the cut to the beach scene. These shows are also cut to 45 or 50 min each. Anybody guess why? So they can play on regular TV with commericals added to make 60 min. BoB didn't do that. Sounds like KG is watching only for the blood and gore scenes, and dam the history. BLEH!

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 122
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/5/2010 2:54:57 PM   
Capt Cliff

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Take a look at the comments posed in the "The Pacific" thead in WITP forums.
Looks like most people there like the series.  These people who play WITP and are very knowledgable about the PTO seems to find the series good enough.

Some people play complex games to play complex games. Others play for the historical feel cause they know the history. Man I really liked Zombieland ... and for sure dude that was real cause I played Diabalo!!

Sorry if I offended, didn't mean too. But because people play a wargame simulation don't make the David Chandler.

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 123
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/5/2010 4:15:58 PM   
Doggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

These people who play WITP and are very knowledgable about the PTO seems to find the series good enough.

Oh yeah, a bunch of college boy axis fans are very knowledgeable about the PTO. Those would be the same guys who think the A6M2 was the terror of the skies and every German tank claimed as destroyed by American fighter bombers actually ran out of gas.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 124
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/5/2010 7:28:32 PM   
Sarge

quote:

None of the guff I've heard here surprises me, as it seems that some of you expect the real-life experiences of these Marines to play out like a DAR of one of your wargames.

.........here we go

OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 125
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/5/2010 10:45:37 PM   
planner 3

This is a F
L
A
M
E
R
in the making.....................

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to Sarge)
Post #: 126
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/5/2010 11:19:28 PM   
KG Erwin

Ah, this is nothing compared to the complaints I've read on the "Pacific" fan forum. Stuff about nudity ("gasp! the Marines make love to girls, and they SHOW it!") , the Marines doing "bad" things ("John Wayne never dug a gold tooth out of a dead Japanese!"), and various other nonsense.

Frankly, THIS forum has been pretty well behaved.

I think most of you have grown into the series as it has progressed. Just as BoB, it takes a while to know who's who. Of course, it also helps that HBO On Demand keeps older episodes in view, so one can watch them again.

Oh, for the record, I love the series and have no major gripes with it. Besides, I have the books, so I wasn't expecting a chapter and verse recital. Just like BoB, some of the factual occurrences are changed and characters are composited. It's HBO, not a documentary.

(in reply to planner 3)
Post #: 127
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/6/2010 2:06:23 AM   
Doggie

K.G., it aint like this is the movie that dare not speak it's name. That was a travesty, and an insult to the American armed forces. Pacific has it's moments, but there are some valid criticisms. My number one gripe is the episodes have been cut down to forty minutes so Hanks and Spielburg can whore it out to TBS and A&E.

Some historical inacuracies are glaring. Gunny Basilone was killed by a mortar shell while he was huddled up with three other marines. He lingered for about an hour and a half before he died. Yeah, it's not a documentary, but these were real people who did real things. It should be told the way it was.

BoB covered six months in the lives of one company of paratroopers. These guys overreached by trying to cover three years and three major campaigns. Guadalcanal was worth ten episodes of it's own. It was a complex campaign with thousands of individual untold stories. The Goettge patrol was a moment of truth for the marines which revealed the nature of the enemy they were up against. It was a pivitol point in the pacific war and deserved at least a mention.

If somebody re-edits this thing, does an Apocolyse Now Redux[ style job on it, it could be a contender. Right now it's destined to be shilling for Sham wow on TBS memorial day marathons.

< Message edited by Doggie -- 5/6/2010 2:07:02 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 128
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/6/2010 5:27:20 AM   
KG Erwin

"Band of Brothers" is now available in a beautifully packaged DVD set, and is familiar. Once "The Pacific" is released on DVD, it will be viewed differently. Will we see extra scenes? I doubt it. Will we have extras like the segments on individual Marines and the "making of" sequence? I hope so, because they add perspective to the series.

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 129
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/6/2010 5:36:28 AM   
ilovestrategy

I know that I'm gonna get so flamed for saying this but I have really enjoyed the series and I will be buying the DVD when it comes out.  So it's not historically accurate. So what? I don't care. I like it and I'm gonna buy it.

Do I think the Basilone episode was rushed? Yes, I do. But I like the battle scene at the end.

And I love Sledge's progression into a battle hardened Marine. Good stuff.

I also like Wind Talkers. I like Saving Private Ryan. And I LOVE Enemy at the Gates!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 130
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/6/2010 7:26:04 AM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy
...I also like Wind Talkers. I like Saving Private Ryan. And I LOVE Enemy at the Gates!
Please, PLEASE tell me I smell sarcasm?

I'll give you Saving Private Ryan because at the very least it had visceral combat scenes...but the other two? Enemy at the Gates showed some promise in the first 3 1/2 seconds, then fell apart - and Windtalkers???I'd rather scoop my eyes out and pickle them in vinegar before I ever set my eyes on that load of touche again!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 131
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/6/2010 10:51:25 AM   
Goblin

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 132
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/21/2010 6:22:24 AM   
Adam Parker

Man this thread died suddenly.

My .02 on the series so far - we just got episode 9 Down Under:

1. Before I buy the DVD remove the all the love scenes. What a waste of time (I've been fast forwarding them - taped it on cable).

2. Our local free to air Channel 7 went overtime this week so I have no idea how episode 9 ended! - (taped it on cable).

3. Who in their right mind at our dear Channel 7 decided to put the series on the same night as Lotto? Just as the suspense builds half the screen fills with colored balls THAT I HAVE NOT CHOSEN and therefore leaves me doubly mad. Why not put them over the freaking loves scenes at least? - (taped it on cable).

4. Why all the freaking love scenes? I get it, I get it - this is where the Baby Boomers come from but sheesh! - (taped it on cable).

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 133
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/21/2010 8:51:32 AM   
Adam Parker

Btw if anyone owns HPS's Proud and the Few / Pacific War, these are great companions to the series. Here's the river scene at the Canal. I've just been Banzai'd in the south for the loss of a 10VP hex - like I once said, in Squad Battles, the AI loves the close-in terrain!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Adam Parker)
Post #: 134
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/21/2010 9:27:54 AM   
Adam Parker

SPOILER ALERT
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
x
For those who have seen the series to part 9, I found something via Wiki that just touched my heart. Maybe they can leave all the "freaking love scenes" in afterall:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Adam Parker -- 5/22/2010 7:28:50 PM >

Post #: 135
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/21/2010 10:01:39 AM   
Josans

My 2 cents:

I expected more from The Pacific. 20 millions per chapter! Only compare the last chapter of Band of Brothers with The Pacific last one. No combat action at all but I think BoB finished better the history, IMO.
Btw, now Im old to go to combat but I think all we will happy to go under Winters command

SSG Korsun Pocket Decisive Battles Beta Tester
GG´s War in the East Alpha Tester

Post #: 136
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/21/2010 1:15:32 PM   
JudgeDredd

Very touching piece Adam.

Meant to say Adam, you might want to remove the pic embedded and just put it as an attachment - even though you've put Spoiler, it's VERY visible in BIG BOLD writing what happens

just a suggestion mate

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 5/21/2010 1:42:56 PM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Josans)
Post #: 137
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/21/2010 1:23:06 PM   
KG Erwin

Amazon has the DVD ($52) & BluRay ($69) sets available for pre-order. However, no release dates have been announced. HBO On Demand has the episodes available until June 14.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 138
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/22/2010 3:44:18 AM   
Adam Parker

Oh well Judge, suppose its been there long enough now but yeah the headline shows with the newer posts huh -

Anyway, I noticed something interesting the other day. GMT games hasn't made an operational level war game of the Pacific since 1990. Their "Empire of the Sun" and "Asia Engulfed" strategic games are their flag ships for the theatre. I recall someone making a game of Saiapan but I can't remember who now. But Iwo, Okinawa and any of the island campaigns would make interesting battalion and company sized gaming experiences.

I tell you what though, as disjointed as "The Pacific" has been, it's awoken me to a bloody arena of WW2 that I scant knew existed in its intensity. And this despite decades of World at War and other books and b&w documentary fare.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 139
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 5/30/2010 11:52:19 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

"Band of Brothers" is now available in a beautifully packaged DVD set, and is familiar. Once "The Pacific" is released on DVD, it will be viewed differently ...

IMO, BoB is to Saving Pvt Ryan as The Pacific is to the Thin Red Line.

As it only involved one company, technically BoB had better continuity than Pac, whose portrayal of jungle warfare was understandably grittier and darker than ETO action.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 140
RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews - 10/24/2010 9:01:42 PM   
Boarspear

This is late in coming, but ... I actually subscribed to HBO to see this, I thought it would be so good. Truthfully I cannot fully review the series, since I stopped at the third episode. Why? I don't see
how anyone can read the books by Sledge and Leckie and NOT have a real problem by this point. OK -- we need to create some drama and some characterization, but the writers actually added an entirely
fictitious "love interest" for the Leckie part. Anyone who's read his book realizes he may have slept with a few girls but he didn't have any anxious drama that they show. This is really bad to me, on top of the fact
that I really don't think it necessary or any more "realistic" to show soldiers love-making any more than it is to show them taking a piss or eating a bologna sandwich, if it's not integral to the story. Clearly the memoirs
of Leckie and Sledge said basically nothing about either their loves or really much about their families, except in passing.

In sum the first three episodes of Band of Brothers caught my attention fast and had me addicted. This series -- maybe I expected too much -- I was bitterly disappointed in the lame writing and what I view as
disrespect of the source (if I was Leckie's family I'd be embarrassed). Maybe I'll rent it, but have no plans to buy it.

Speaking of an interesting war movie, has anyone seen "Max Manus: man of war?" I picked up this film because it looked interesting, and found it is an absolute classic -- about the real-life story of Max Manus and
his compatriots who fought underground for Norway against the Germans. Interestingly enough the writers here never showed a bedroom scene -- maybe they could have learned a thing or two from The Pacific writers? Nah.
Watch it -- it's great.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 141
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: OT "The Pacific": Your Reviews Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI