Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 3/31/2010 8:50:39 PM   
wiking62

quote:

(BAR) Well the Soviets have become a real pain in the ass. They hit my flank hard agian in the approch to Rostov...

Well at least we know the AI is responding to your attacks.

This is what we all want to see, an AI that provides a challenge.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 151
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 3/31/2010 10:13:48 PM   
PyleDriver

Yep it's not the same AI as three months ago. The attrition has got me wondering now. The Russians can afford it, I can't...Still I will press this fight...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 152
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/1/2010 12:56:53 PM   
SGHunt

Going over to the defence now seems pointless to OKH - your only chance of victory must be with der blitzen, Herr von Driver!

I guess you could pull back from Rostov and concentrate everything in the centre, but I also guess this means the Rusians will do the same, and simply pour in all their reserves up there.

What chance is there of pressing to the North of the Rostov counter-attack, through the weak bigade/division and the HQ West of Voroshilovgrad and towards and to the South of the city, and threatening another pocket?  Would this cause them to pull back, do you think, even though that attack is not the 'real' Scwherpunkt?   Can even fairly strong Inf Divisions do this sort of thing without armour support?   (Assuming you haven't got a spare Pz Corps or two lying around to help? )   

Having blarted on, by the time you get this, you will probably have done the deed already!

Can't wait for the SS's of your responses to the very aggresssive AI this turn (indeed I can't wait to take it on myself).   It seems really challenging, at least at the operations level even if I'm not sure it'll be able to read your overall strategic intent?   Or do you suspect that it does read you?   [Can the advanced chess AI programmes (was it called Deep Blue?) do that, does anyone know?]

von J

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 153
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/1/2010 12:59:38 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

quote:

and, over all, your plan/idea, is worthless to the battle, you are not gaining anything, but getting some troops killed

You're saying you're not gaining anything by making a pocket? Judging by the screenshots, the Soviets don't have a lot of quality forces in 1941-1942, which is historical. If you can pocket those quality forces (Guards units, Tank/Cavalry/Rifle Corps), you will gain quite a lot. Killing units in a pocket will usually result in far less casualties than attacking them head on if the casualty reports from elmo's AAR are an indication.

If you can let the AI advance into some steppe/clear/farmland hexes without much strategic value (ergo: most of the western and southern parts of the map) and can kill units by pocketing them, I don't think that's a "worthless" thing to try. The Germans have to kill Soviet units, and pocketed units seem to die a lot faster than regular units. Besides, it's sort of a backhand blow+ method, and the backhand blow was used with a fair amount of success by both sides (the first years of the war from the Soviet perspective eventually turned into one giant nationwide backhand blow).

well, to be honest, you are twisting the statement, what I was trying to say, to from a line, get a pocket, clean the pocket, and then from the line to set up another pocket, is what I meant is worthless (now, if your moving forward and gaining a pocket each turn, each two turns, great, but, staying in place, to try and suck the AI into a Pocket is not going to be of much use, and as Jon has shown, the AI does not react that way)

last night, I was running the Typhoon battle, on turn 3, I cleaned up my pockets, got 30 Divs and 9 Armor Brigs (about 350,000 men, 350 AFV)

most of the end of the turn, I set up a new pocket, and was able to force a gap, though that gap, I drove deep, because I could get 3 VH's, if I had went for the northern pocket, I may never of gotten to those VH's

as it is, I am getting my butt kicked (those 3 VH and the ones I have taken from the SU, will start to even the score now, if I can hold them)

but, just trying to say, forming pockets and then trying to trick the AI into making a new one, will not help you in the long run (make your stats pretty though)

okay back to Jon, he is the Master at taking Moscow, let him show you the way

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 154
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/1/2010 1:15:44 PM   
PyleDriver

Ron where do I send the kisses and roses?...lol...The AI is not kind right now, but I will press this hand, I still think I will break the bears back...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 155
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/1/2010 2:15:35 PM   
PyleDriver

Well I guess you guys are biting on the bone. This is a (DAR) During Action Report...Ist Pz spread out to close the pocket up north... Armin's Corp is about to be sprung into game. This will get ugly...Theres only so many reserves for the Soviets...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 4/1/2010 2:17:35 PM >

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 156
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/1/2010 2:41:03 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Ron where do I send the kisses and roses?...lol...The AI is not kind right now, but I will press this hand, I still think I will break the bears back...

no Hassle mate :)

giving the Devil his due :)

game is getting ruff, Typhoon, I think I have killed 42 Divs, and 21 Brigs, and Mud, interdiction, reserves are kicking my butt (I should make it close, but...)

and I got the Blizzard to look forward to (in 4 or 5 turns)

< Message edited by Hard Sarge -- 4/1/2010 2:43:48 PM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 157
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/1/2010 3:12:49 PM   
Hard Sarge

well, again, not trying to steal the thunder here

but...

while not a trap as stated, I did leave 5 or so PZ Divs hanging, the AI backed off, it could "see" it may of been a trap (they were)

so, overall, I think we can honestly say, the AI is not stupid, or will fall into the same trap over and over again, really, and I think Jon will agree, the German doesn't set traps, he makes them

Jon, can you believe that Vyshny Volochek may be the key to my battle ?

(I take that, it will off set my not being able to take Moscow (if I can hold what I now have)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 158
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/1/2010 6:57:41 PM   
ComradeP

PyleDriver: seems the AI went braindead again for a moment. There's not a single unit close to your bridgehead at the Dvina and nothing was pulled back from the line to stop you it seems.

It's a bit of a paradox to read about how capable the AI is whilst the AI as displayed in the screenshots sometimes appears to be somewhat ineffective, especially considering that you closed that pocket with 3 Panzer regiments and didn't even have to use the other Panzer division (it's in the same hex where you left it last turn).

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 159
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/1/2010 7:10:16 PM   
Capt Cliff

PyleDriver, What are those numbers on the Russian units? 10=60 and 17=93?

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 160
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/1/2010 7:14:27 PM   
Joel Billings

Attack Combat Value = Defense Combat Value (accounts for terrain and fort modifiers for defense)

These are rough approximations of combat ability. The actual ability in combat depends on the interactions of the specific combat types and terrain.

< Message edited by Joel Billings -- 4/1/2010 7:15:32 PM >

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 161
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/1/2010 9:22:34 PM   
PyleDriver

Ok guys read back some pages on this post. I "reported" to Joel and Gary the lasp of the AI. I think if it didn't have a brainfart up north it wouldn't be spanking down south...Sooo...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 162
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/2/2010 5:00:54 PM   
PyleDriver

How you use breaking down divisions is must. Where, when and why...As Joel said they can become exposed, so the hat trick as to when...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 163
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 5:42:09 AM   
PyleDriver

Boy did I take a hit attacking this pocket, 33 AFV down, so I'll let them suffer one more turn with out mail from there wives...4th Army did pop a hole, lead by the 10th Mot division. STAVKA is in shambles over this...Stalin has men lined up in question...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 164
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 6:29:33 AM   
PyleDriver

Heres a level 4 ss. When I started the AAR (look back) I said those flanks have to be taken out. Well they are...lol...Soon you will see Hoth's 4th PzA spring into action. Trust me, this is beauty...This all takes time and tempo, it doesn't happen overnight...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 165
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 7:17:55 AM   
PyleDriver

One last thought...I'm a chess player, and a very good one...So, you have to think ahead in this game or be left behind...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 166
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 1:42:04 PM   
Northern Star

Jon, I was a good chess player too some years ago... then I started to play WiR and everything changed.

War in the East alpha tester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPV9JWWtOQ0

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 167
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 1:53:14 PM   
ComradeP

I wonder how many wargamers are also chessplayers. I participated in some chess tournaments when I was young(er), but after winning a tournament I quit playing chess on a professional level. Now I rarely play chess, well, "regular" chess anyway.

PyleDriver, what does your vehicle pool look like, did you lose 1940/1941/1942 recon unit production in a handful of turns like the last time?

(in reply to Northern Star)
Post #: 168
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 5:33:09 PM   
freeboy

I just wanted you to know as an avid gamer, I read this like my morning "paper and coffee" lol
so when I get up and scroll through the important stuff ,this thread is right there ! wowow so please talk about planing and why you  are attacking at various points, all intersting stuff...

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 169
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 9:04:42 PM   
PyleDriver

Boom...Told you Hoth was ready...The spring spung...This is pretty, or ugly...Damn I love this game...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 170
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 9:18:12 PM   
PyleDriver

So heres a level 4 zoom, you guys get the picture yet. I press everywhere then break it. This will get good, stay tooned...lol...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 171
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 9:22:09 PM   
PyleDriver

Oh Btw, I haven't brought Kliest into action yet...lol...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 172
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 9:24:51 PM   
ComradeP

This is getting kind of silly. You're advancing, using a ~20 kilometre corridor, without a link to a railhead. It's weird that the collection of air groups at Tula doesn't really seem to be able to interdict anything in any meaningful way. The AI was also kind enough to place his mobile units at the frontline. I'm hoping this is all still the result of the AI going braindead, as this doesn't make a lot of sense.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 173
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/3/2010 10:27:42 PM   
PyleDriver

Comrade I had 8 Mech units there (alot of power). I really don't wan't to say what it cost to get that breakthrough (didn't look) it was costly. Attrition is killing me right now, so take a chill pill, then buy the game and tell me your stories...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 174
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/4/2010 1:10:25 AM   
SGHunt

Link up at Tula for the next and biggest pocket?

Where is Kleist?   (Where is Grouchy?)

And down South - have the heavy guns started hammering Rostov yet?

S

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 175
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/4/2010 9:35:47 AM   
Smirfy

Can I make a suggestion for immersion and ease of identification would it be possible that units have their number to the left or right of the Nato symbol and when they split perhaps 1/33 2/33 3/33 (the figures rotated off course so the top rests on the symbol and base rests on counters edge)

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 176
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/4/2010 9:52:53 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Jaeger

Link up at Tula for the next and biggest pocket?

Where is Kleist?   (Where is Grouchy?)

And down South - have the heavy guns started hammering Rostov yet?

S

Tula ? I would be heading towards Kyazan, unless the northern thrust has trouble

(but I am a sucker for Airfields, nothing like a tank running a bomber or two under it's treads)

of course, I am not the master of the pocket, I tend to be more of a bull in a china shop

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 177
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/4/2010 9:53:02 AM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

This is getting kind of silly. You're advancing, using a ~20 kilometre corridor, without a link to a railhead. It's weird that the collection of air groups at Tula doesn't really seem to be able to interdict anything in any meaningful way. The AI was also kind enough to place his mobile units at the frontline. I'm hoping this is all still the result of the AI going braindead, as this doesn't make a lot of sense.

not trying to step in, but, look behind the lines, I am sure Jon has his fighters in the area, they will cover the breakthough, as long as he has AS over that area, the SU will be HARD pressed to get much interdiction done

plus everything else he is doing, his air is keeping the SU air busy

if the SU air had AS in the area, it would be much HARDer to gain that kind of breakthough

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 178
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/4/2010 11:12:03 AM   
ComradeP

quote:

Comrade I had 8 Mech units there (alot of power). I really don't wan't to say what it cost to get that breakthrough (didn't look) it was costly. Attrition is killing me right now, so take a chill pill, then buy the game and tell me your stories...

I'll take the chill pill, I was just surprised that you managed to do something like this, especially after you trapped roughly 2 Armies worth of troops with just 3 Panzer regiments.

quote:

not trying to step in, but, look behind the lines, I am sure Jon has his fighters in the area, they will cover the breakthough, as long as he has AS over that area, the SU will be HARD pressed to get much interdiction done

plus everything else he is doing, his air is keeping the SU air busy

if the SU air had AS in the area, it would be much HARDer to gain that kind of breakthough

Looking behind the lines, I see that most of those German air groups are further removed from the German spearheads than the Soviet air groups in the area. And although quantity certainly isn't everything, there are a lot of Soviet air groups in the area and only a limited number of German air groups. Even though the quality of Soviet air groups is probably still fairly minimal, quantity should be able to compensate for that to a degree.

To say the AI needs a lesson or two on flank security would be an understatement.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 179
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/4/2010 11:40:50 AM   
Hard Sarge

with out seeing what is on the fields, it is HARD to tell how much, how many planes are in the area

the fighters do have range, they don't need to be in the same hex, to fly

also, remember, the idea of a bulge, it gives you a spring board into the enemy flanks, but it also opens up your flanks, and once the weather clears, a single defence line is going to be in trouble

when the game comes out, challenge Jon to a game, show him the errors of his ways

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI