Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/5/2010 12:18:47 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

And, ComradeP, the AI has plugged its gaps as far as it can, pushed back and cut off a couple of PzG Regiments, and the counter-attack at Orel is going to cause PD a load of hassle and time to clear up. Without the kind of overwhelming attack strength of the Germans, this is pretty good for the AI - I thought they would be running to reform this turn. Delay, delay and attrite. They can afford it.

Leaving 9 hexes next to enemy units open isn't what I would call "plugging gaps", it's causing gaps. If the enemy is trying to encircle you from the East, attacking towards the West doesn't seem to be the brightest idea, as the AI's still somewhat lucky PyleDriver is gambling on an everything or nothing approach and has little if any reserves close to the frontlines. However, the AI could not have known PyleDriver had little to no reserves, unless the AI doesn't suffer from FOW on this difficulty setting. The AI is doing a fair job with limiting breakthroughs, but capturing Orel doesn't really compensate for the braindead behaviour up north.

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 211
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/5/2010 12:24:40 PM   
SGHunt

Further to that last post, I do see what you mean about pulling the Guards unit off that rail junction hex - that seems daft.   Either pull the whole line back and regroup, or die holding the key positions to prevent gifting the lead German units their supply line.

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 212
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/5/2010 12:43:40 PM   
PyleDriver

Heres some level 2 ss's in the "show battles" mode . The attacks on my flanks of the 1st PzA will slow me down to cross the Don...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 213
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/5/2010 12:43:41 PM   
SGHunt

Last post for a bit (honest ) - two pints:

1.  I still think the capture of Orel is a good move.  The active, aggressive defence is always good , especially when you have many units to deploy and can maybe still afford the sacrifice, and when the enemy is stretched to the limit.   Just as PD guesses the Russians are nearly spent, so the AI must 'know' that the Germans only have so many Panzer Diviisons.   (Or maybe it cheats!)   Either way, there's very little there to throw the Russians out.   I would have liked to see much better flank defence and a straightening of the lines to the South of the attack.

2.   I notice a couple of Para Brigades joining the line at the tip of Hoth's attack - are these the reserves that were originally deployed East of Moscow right at the start of the scenario (see the zoomed out SS on page 1 of this thread)?   If they are, then maybe, finally, the Soviets are starting to scrape the barrel of their reserves.   Hmmm, does this contradict my first point, then?

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 214
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/5/2010 12:49:35 PM   
PyleDriver

It seems I'm being bated to turn 4th PzA west. I have 2 regiments isolated and my advance on Moscow will be slowed. The attacks toward Orel really hit hard... I have a timetable and this isn't it...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 215
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/5/2010 1:01:02 PM   
PyleDriver

Even up north they filled the gaps and launched attacks agianst 16th Army...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 216
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/5/2010 7:15:32 PM   
The SNAFU

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

Ron you sound like my wife. One minute I'm great. the next moment I'm being spanked...lol...Theres a few of us that play rough. Andy is by far rougher than me, go figure. He can destroy the 41 game. But we have gotten this AI over 2 years to play so much better. Hell my first games I was taking Vologda before the rain came...I'm not tring to show off, just keeping the interrest in this game going...Enjoy...

Very commendable response considering... I've never heard of a great leader (or player) who lacked an abundence of ego.

I persoanally like the enthusiasim. It certainly demonstrates the love for the game and that makes me look forward to it that much more.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. Winston Churchill

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 217
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/6/2010 12:31:53 AM   
PyleDriver

Well we sent the 8th SS cav from Warsaw to aid the battered Orel area, had to peice the area back together... Hoth decided to expand the salient and allow the railhead to advance. 6th Army rolled up the line to provide a better flank for 4th PzA...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 218
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/6/2010 6:11:46 PM   
Ron

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

It seems I'm being bated to turn 4th PzA west. I have 2 regiments isolated and my advance on Moscow will be slowed. The attacks toward Orel really hit hard... I have a timetable and this isn't it...

I don't understand the AI logic here. Why would it give up the defensive river line and allow you to expand your narrow salient? From that initial breakthrough you made, how far could you keep it supplied without a nearby railhead? It seems to me the AI just facilitated your breakthrough by giving you the rail and letting you advance your railhead? The attacks to Orel look like a typical trap for the AI as mentioned earlier in the thread?

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 219
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/6/2010 6:19:00 PM   
PyleDriver

Yep Ron, that AI brainfart was reported to Joel. Theres another brainfart near Rostov also. I'll be posting that ss later...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 220
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/6/2010 7:24:14 PM   
PyleDriver

Model 9th cleans up most of the rear and makes some advances. Arnim's XXXIX PzC has pressed out of the swamp and is providing a strong flank. I have 6 mech divisions in the area that should provide some headaches...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 221
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/6/2010 9:49:26 PM   
wodin

Listen I can understand the AI isn't ready yet as the game is only at ALPHA stage. Seems like people are picking the AI apart as if its a finished product. I'm sure the Alpha testers will be reporting in how the AI can be improved.

I get this is an AAR giving us an idea on how the game looks and plays to a point.

Lets just enjoy the AAR without picking holes in a game that hasn't even hit Beta yet.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 222
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/6/2010 10:13:11 PM   
Smirfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Listen I can understand the AI isn't ready yet as the game is only at ALPHA stage. Seems like people are picking the AI apart as if its a finished product. I'm sure the Alpha testers will be reporting in how the AI can be improved.

I get this is an AAR giving us an idea on how the game looks and plays to a point.

Lets just enjoy the AAR without picking holes in a game that hasn't even hit Beta yet.

quote:

This is exactly the time to pick holes before things cannot be altered. I'm looking forward to this game too but showing too much deference with mistakes and the like is the wrong way to go. So far I'm enjoying the AAR warts and all

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 223
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/6/2010 10:17:27 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

...I'm sure the Alpha testers will be reporting in how the AI can be improved.

Yes we are much more aware of what the AI is doing than people who are only reading the AAR here. The intention is to make the AI as good as we can given that the game will be released this year and no AI will ever be perfect.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 224
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/7/2010 6:22:14 PM   
PyleDriver

Kliest's 1st PzA went thru hard fighting but reached the banks of the river Don...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 225
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/7/2010 6:24:35 PM   
PyleDriver

The AI went brain dead around Rostov...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 226
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/7/2010 8:10:24 PM   
PyleDriver

Well Gary found an AI bug already. He asked me to replay the Soviet AI for turn 4. It looks a little different. I still got hit hard (lost 175 AFV's), but its pluging the holes better. So I have to redo the turn 5 moves. I'll keep you posted...The joy of the alpha tester, redoing moves...lol...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 227
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/8/2010 4:09:20 AM   
Captain B

I've just gotten computer access back (haven't seen PyleDriver's handicraft in days and the suspense was killing me).

First, a quick note on the AI...from what I have seen in the AARs and around the forum, I am extremely happy with the AI, occassional apparent lapses or not. I am very happy that it doesn't take all of its units and pile them up somewhere on an objective and let you surround it and batter it to death. It appears to be acting in a rationale fashion, taking chances in one sector and hoping that Pyle Driver doesn't find its weak spots. It appears to be playing the attrition game very well knowing that it will eventually outpace German production IF it can hold on and delay Pyle Driver. It appears to be offering just what we want...an AI that keeps you guessing, makes some mistakes, and some brilliant plays. Just as we all hope to be doing soon. If I was concerned about the AI at all, it would be in the small things, like the "4=16" Soviet Infantry corps that should have advanced one more hex to capture the rail line leading to OREL from the northeast.

2nd, A quick question for Pyle Driver (before you had to re-do starting at turn 4), had the soviet counterattack at OREL "worsened" the supply situation for some of your units in that area by cutting the rail junction in OREL. Could holding OREL make it easier for the soviets to withdraw some troops from the potential pocket.

3rd (and this question probably belongs in another post) but I will ask anyway, how is the AI doing as the "offensive player". Is there a way for someone to do an AAR say as the soviets in 41 or the Germans in 44 and see how the AI does when it switches from defense to offense? Seeing how that works would be awesome.

Thanks for the AARs, screenshots, postings....they are addictive!

There is no problem too big that can't be solved with the proper use of high explosives

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 228
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 5:19:49 PM   
PyleDriver

Sorry for the delay in the AAR, as posted we had alot of things going on with AI improvement. Still not there but its getting better...5th turn rewind...9th army still cleared the rear and pushed to the upper Volga...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 229
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 5:22:08 PM   
PyleDriver

4th army joined with 2nd PzA to form a pocket...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 230
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 5:27:59 PM   
PyleDriver

Hoth moved his XXIV PzC west joining with XXXV corps....

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 231
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 5:31:08 PM   
PyleDriver

Kliest gains a bridgehead across the Don...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 232
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 5:43:48 PM   
PyleDriver

Your wondering where the improvement came... Rostov, they hit me hard, and filled the gaps. The once strong 15th PzD is down to 25 AFV's. It will take some time now before the city is mine...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 233
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 6:39:04 PM   
Naughteous Maximus

Isn't the 15th Panzer division supposed to be in N.Africa right now as part of the Afrika Korps?

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 234
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 7:12:12 PM   
PyleDriver

Opp's my mistake it's the 13th PzD, darn wife was on my back and I was in a hurry, sorry...lol...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Naughteous Maximus)
Post #: 235
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 7:25:30 PM   
PyleDriver

(BAR) Check out this breakout by the AI its outstanding...Never saw that in WIR, huh...Hit me hard, escaped, and moved north protecting its flank...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 236
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 8:04:50 PM   
PyleDriver

(BAR) Kliest's 1st PzA wasn't hit with counters, the weak left flak (The Huns) was. After air recon it seems the Soviets plan to contest the crossing of the Don...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 237
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 9:55:24 PM   
PyleDriver

(BAR) Some OKH plans, LIX corps (4 divisions) once it clears the pocket will move south (via rail) and attach to 4th army. I have 2 divisions ready for transport now...4th army later will move onto 4th PzA's right and support their flank to the east, as they move north...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 238
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 10:22:28 PM   
ComradeP

What hit 13th Panzer that hard, that Cavalry Corps and the lone Rifle division?

Also: what are the odds that there is indeed, as the screenshots seem to indicate, more or less nothing preventing your Panzer formations from overrunning that 60x60 mile air field?

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 239
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 4/10/2010 10:28:27 PM   
PyleDriver

Everything hit 13th PzD...Airfields as Hq's auto withdrawl when enemy units become adjacent and theres no groud units. There is attrition when this happens, however you dont lose the unit...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI