Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship Design Bug?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Ship Design Bug? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship Design Bug? - 3/30/2010 2:32:19 PM   
kingwanabee

I started a new game with auto-ship design turned on. Maximum ship size 200. At the start, I could produce Destroyers (size 199). After several years however, the game redesigned the Destroyers to ship size 206, but since my maximum is still 200 I can no longer produce destroyers. The funny thing is that I can retrofit my existing Destroyers to the latest model, which is over my size limit. Is there a work-around for this, or do need turn off AI ship design?
Post #: 1
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/30/2010 2:38:35 PM   
Hyfrydle

I had this problem you just need to maximise your shipyard research and then the problem will be solved. The next level of destroyers I got were very powerful.

(in reply to kingwanabee)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/30/2010 2:53:46 PM   
mllange

In the meantime, as you wait for the larger shipyard tech you can edit your existing Destroyer ship design by removing a few armor components, etc. to reduce the size to 200 or lower.

There's a simple answer to every complex question - and it's wrong.
-Umberto Eco

Post #: 3
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/30/2010 3:01:07 PM   
kingwanabee

Thanks for your replies, but the AI should not be designing ships that can't be built. To me, this is buggy.

(in reply to mllange)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/30/2010 6:37:27 PM   
wintermute

Thanks for posting about this.  I was wondering why I couldn't build destroyers anymore. 

Post #: 5
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/30/2010 6:38:35 PM   
ASHBERY76

Yes this shuold be posted in the tech forum as I have seen this bug too.

(in reply to wintermute)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/30/2010 6:39:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

This is not actually a bug - the AI will always update designs using the latest components. If that ends up exceeding shipyard size, it will build the smaller hulls until shipyard size increases or new components reduce the ship size to match your capacity again. We could make it work within the shipyard limits, but that would also mean that in some cases new components could not be added in.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wintermute)
Post #: 7
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/31/2010 7:17:23 AM   
kafka

sorry, I found the option myself

< Message edited by kafka -- 3/31/2010 7:24:47 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/31/2010 7:42:27 AM   
forsaken1111

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

This is not actually a bug - the AI will always update designs using the latest components. If that ends up exceeding shipyard size, it will build the smaller hulls until shipyard size increases or new components reduce the ship size to match your capacity again. We could make it work within the shipyard limits, but that would also mean that in some cases new components could not be added in.
This doesn't make much sense to me. Who cares if it updated the design with new components if I cannot build that design? This method creates a ship design that is both unusable due to being too large and which will be outdated by the time I actually research better shipyards.

Post #: 9
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/31/2010 8:44:59 AM   
RonLugge

Perhaps the advisor could design the new design, then throw an alert to the user that 'automated updates have rendered design XYZ to large for current construction technology!  { Edit | Ignore | Attempt to auto redesign }'  Auto redesign would be an option where the AI would try to remove components to bring the design back in line with tech, while trying to keep the overall ratio of components the same.

There are 10 types of people in the world:

Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

(in reply to forsaken1111)
Post #: 10
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/31/2010 9:16:45 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: forsaken1111

quote:

This doesn't make much sense to me. Who cares if it updated the design with new components if I cannot build that design? This method creates a ship design that is both unusable due to being too large and which will be outdated by the time I actually research better shipyards.

But it does make sense and is only consequent. You have designs for the cruiser and capital ship from the start and cannot build these, either. The destroyer's size just happens to be close to a threshold that is relevant in early game.

(in reply to forsaken1111)
Post #: 11
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/31/2010 4:08:38 PM   
kingwanabee

quote:

Erik -

Thanks for replying. It still seems buggy to me that I can retrofit existing destroyers to a size greater than my current maximum, yet cannot build the most current design because of ship size maximums.

A good solution would be to allow the AI to continue to design the most technologically advanced ship, but also keep the most advanced ship design that fits into current size limitations to be the production model. This removes the micromanagement pain of turning the AI on and off so you can produce certain size ships. I don't know if that would be hard to program?

Post #: 12
RE: Ship Design Bug? - 3/31/2010 4:59:26 PM   
Erik Rutins

I'll move this over to support.

Some tweaking here may be worthwhile after we get through the more serious issues.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Ship Design Bug? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI