Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Fleet Refueling Why So Slow?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Fleet Refueling Why So Slow? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Fleet Refueling Why So Slow? - 4/5/2010 8:10:48 AM   
marc420

quote:

I would also be quite happy letting civilians tender my fleet, provided they could keep up. It would be nice if civilians could grow to fill any niche that comes up, such as fueling concerns when large wars become common or big fleet actions start happening. They would buy fuel at the starbase/spaceport, fly out to your ships, you would buy their fuel at a slightly higher price. They would make some money, and you'd tax both transactions of course.

...'at a slightly higher price' :)

Ah, a novice entering the world of military procurement! Expect about a 500% markup at least. Especially if you actually want the fuel there when you really need it. :) If you as a measly grand admiral try to object, they'll point to the el Presidente's brother who is now an officer in their company and let you know there's nothing you can do but pay what they call the 'slightly higher prices.' :)

Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism. ~George Washington

(in reply to forsaken1111)
Post #: 31
RE: Fleet Refueling Why So Slow? - 4/5/2010 10:03:25 AM   
Fishman

Part of why refuelling is such a pain is because unless you are refuelling only a small number of ships or have a very large port where all the docking bays are free of commercial traffic clogging it up, SOME of your ships will refuel, and then when they are done, they will detach from the port, and begin burning their fuel sitting in space while the rest of the fleet refuels. By the time everyone has refuelled, half the ships will be nearly out of fuel again.

The solution to this is to give ships larger fuel tanks, and energy collectors so they don't burn fuel while parked. The stock designs have horribly anemic fuel tanks.

(in reply to marc420)
Post #: 32
RE: Fleet Refueling Why So Slow? - 4/5/2010 1:03:43 PM   
Igard

I mentioned this on the wishlist. When a ship is patrolling a planet, it's basically in orbit. This means that the ship should not use nearly as much fuel as the planets gravity should provide the ship with forward motion.

I'm no astrophysicist but I think 'parking' the ship somewhere in the star system should burn more fuel since the ship is having to hold stationary. It's working against the gravity of the star and the planets.

OK it's a bit of a nit pick, but I find it easier to set my fleets to patrol a star/planet (which they do anyway while automated) rather than sit at an exact position where they are no use.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 33
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Fleet Refueling Why So Slow? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI