Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWIF Monthly Reports

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Monthly Reports Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 8/3/2019 3:12:45 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

August 2, 2019 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
The beta testers received a few new versions in July, but there were no new versions released to customers. I’m working on getting a Hot Patch out early in August for customers with the same changes that the beta testers have already had for the last few weeks.

Program Development: Delphi Rio (version 10.3)
My new computer system is fully functional except for a couple of rarely used applications still on my old machine.

The Delphi Rio Interactive Development Environment remains a little flaky. It compiles all the code cleanly and then builds a new correct executable (MWIF.exe) but ends the process by crashing the IDE. On the old system it did the same thing and I thought it was because I was running both Delphi EX8 and Delphi Rio on the same machine. But the new machine was a virgin when I installed Delphi Rio. None of the files from Delphi XE8 is on the new computer system, I’ll have to go back to Embarcadero and get them to look into this some more. After all, I’m paying them $800 a year to provide customer support for Delphi.

I‘m still maintaining two copies of the MWIF source code. One for the old version of the Delphi Interactive Development Environment (IDE) called XE8. That is on the old computer. I run it when I need to make a version for release to customers. The beta testers are working with the version created using Delphi 10.3 Rio.

If I can build up enough confidence in the Delphi Rio executable, I’ll make a MWIF,exe version using it for the next Public Beta. However, that version requires a new set of BPL files be included when it is installed on the customers’ computers. BPLs are the Delphi/Borland equivalent to Microsoft’s DDLs.

Bugs
This past month I have done some work on my task list for emailed bug reports. But every time I catch up, a few more dribble in. Mostly I have been fixing bugs reported by the beta testers over the past couple of months. With that task I have been somewhat successful in cleaning up a variety of weird/unusual problems.

Next up is to go through the bugs reported in the Tech Support forum and correct any of those that are reproducible. With NetPlay bugs I have found converting the GAM files from NetPlay mode to Head-2-head play works more than half the time. That lets me debug the problems without having to set up and run a second computer to recreate the problem.

As of today, Slitherine has partially fixed the problem with creating New Posts (for the Seeking Opponents data base) in the NetPlay Private Forum. We almost have that fully functional again.

Missing Optional Rules & Half Map Scenarios
Nothing new in July.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in July.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 121
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 9/6/2019 10:33:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

September 6, 2019 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
One Hot Patch (version 3.0.3.0) was released in early August for customers. Meanwhile, the beta testers received a lot of new versions. We are now up to version 4.0.0.29 for them testing MWIF compiled using Delphi Rio (version 10.3). I am presently working on creating another Hot Patch for customers using the old version of Delphi (XE8). That will be version 3.0.4.0. A comparable version (4.0.0.30) will be available to the beta testers compiled with Delphi Rio.

If those two versions run cleanly for a week or so, I’ll send off version 4.0.1.0 (created using Delphi Rio) to Matrix Games for release as a Public Beta for customers. My expectation is that will appear for all players in mid September. It will require players to install a set of BPLs besides the usual MWIF.exe. But because it will be a public beta, the installation of the additional files will be handled automatically as part of the install.

In addition to fixing a bunch of bugs in the game, I added the 2 Die 10 Land Combat Results Table to the Help menu. See the screenshots below.

My new computer system remains fully functional except for a couple of rarely used applications still on my old machine.

The Delphi Rio Interactive Development Environment is still a little flaky. I have learned that if I merely do a full compile - and NOT a full build - the IDE creates an accurate MWIF.exe without trouble. The difference between the two ways of creating the MWIF.exe, is that a build also creates all the BPLs for the MWIF specific libraries. BPLS, are Borland’s file extension for what Microsoft labels DDLs. Basically, they are binary library files that the primary program (i.e., the executable - MWIF.exe) accesses when it executes. I only have to make changes to the MWIF specific libraries once every couple of years, so leaving the BPLs unchanged is perfectly fine.

I am hoping that the public beta version 4.0.1.0 runs cleanly and I can put Delphi version XE8 firmly in my rear view mirror, never to be used again.

Bugs
For the first two weeks of August, I focused on fixing bugs reported in Tech Support and by the beta testers. I was able to clear more than 20 of those, which was roughly 2/3rds of those reported in the past 4 months What remains are either obscure bugs or quite difficult to reproduce. For the following 3 weeks I spent all my time on NetPlay bugs. Some of those were way more difficult to resolve than I would have preferred. Here is one fix:

Substantially modified the routines for naval air combat, specifically for the air-to-air combat dice rolls. By splitting some routines into their component parts, I was able to better control when messages (i.e., Game Record Logs - GRLs) about dice rolls and other events are sent from one player to the other. The main problem these changes corrected was that at times the computer wasn’t rolling the dice for the attacking player (the defending player rolls first) - or rolling twice for a player. Other fixes include: (1) correcting the program halting after the first player decides whether to Abort or Stay in an air-to-air combat, (2) eliminating a spurious second prompt for a player to decide whether to Fight or Abort after a round of naval combat, and (3) getting rid of an occasional extra display of the Anti-Aircraft Fire form (the player owning the attacking bombers should always decide which bombers suffer the damage of the AA fire - and only once).

For a short period of time in August, the Seeking Opponents data base in the NetPlay Private Forum was working correctly again. But when Slitherine modified the overall appearance of their web site, it again became inaccessible. I need to send them some information so they can get that back in working order. For now, everyone can continue to able to play NetPlay games normally. It merely requires ignoring a single message when starting about being ‘Disconnected’, which only applies to the Seeking Opponents database.

Nothing new in August.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in August.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 122
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 10/4/2019 7:35:42 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

October 4, 2019 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
As of today, the Seeking Opponents data base in the NetPlay Private Forum is accessible again. They just had to restore the data from backup.

One Hot Patch (version 3.0.4.0) was released in early September for customers. Meanwhile, the beta testers received a few new versions. We are now up to version 4.0.0.32 for them testing MWIF compiled using Delphi Rio (version 10.3).

There were some problems with 3.0.4.0 which I have fixed. Similarly, further testing of NetPlay revealed a couple of obscure bugs that I corrected. My plan is to review the recently emailed bug reports (Mad Excepts) for versions 3.0.x.x and see if I can figure out what caused those problems. It is difficult without saved games accompanied by a description of what the player was doing prior to the Mad Except error. But sometimes a clear vision of the situation arises out of the fog.

Once I have done my best with the emailed bug reports, I’ll post a new Hot Patch and let players run it for a week or so. If all looks well, I’ll send off version 4.0.1.0 (created using Delphi Rio) to Matrix Games for release as a Public Beta for customers. That version will require players to install a small set of BPLs besides the usual MWIF.exe. Because it will be a public beta, the installation of the additional files will be handled automatically as part of the install.

My new computer system remains fully functional except for a couple of rarely used applications still on my old machine. Having run it for 3 months I am now appreciating its increased performance for even routine tasks. At about the same time my internet provider changed the layout for their email server. That was very annoying at the time, since nothing was where I expected it to be and even some of the icons had been changed. But after adapting to the new stuff, I now see that it is an improvement and I can get work done faster and with less mouse moves/clicks.

I am 8 months into using the Delphi Rio Interactive Development Environment and have gotten used to where its quirks are (“Don’t do this!”). I like it better that the old one. Using white text on a black background really helps my eyes. The moral of all this is that changes are a pain - but usually they are for the better.

Bugs
I am up-to-date on all emailed bug reports as of the end of September. Likewise for the Tech Support posts. I need to look at the beta tester bug reports again - it’s been a few weeks since I examined those fully.

Nothing new in September.

AI Opponent (AIO)

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 10/4/2019 7:36:27 PM >

Steve

Post #: 123
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 11/10/2019 3:39:47 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

November 9, 2019 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

I’m really late with this month’s report - sorry about that. I was in California with my chorus for a competition in October and pretty much lost a week of work. Luckily we missed all the fires, though a few chorus members were stuck in Los Angeles over night because of all the power outages.

Product Releases
As of yesterday, the Seeking Opponents data base in the NetPlay Private Forum is accessible again. This problem has been on again, off again over the last couple of months. The latest fix was to remove a Redirect pointer in the Slitherine/Matrix NetPlay server that was referencing a non-existent source for the database. After removing the spurious Redirect pointer, the server was able to ‘find’ the Seeking Opponents database - and all is well. The most recent post I saw was from October 30th.

No Hot Patch was released in October for customers. Meanwhile, the beta testers received a few new versions. We are now up to version 4.0.0.38 for testing MWIF compiled using Delphi Rio (version 10.3). I will try to post a Hot Patch this coming week (version 3.0.5.0) generated using the old Delphi XE8 - which will have source code identical to that used to create the impending version 4.0.0.39.

My new computer system is fully functional, although eventually I should transfer over a couple rarely used applications from on my old machine (e.g., CorelDraw).

Because the versions of MWIF created using Delphi Rio require replacement BPL (a.k.a. DDL) files, I am holding off on generating a Delphi Rio MWIF - version 4.1.0.0 - as a Public Beta until I see a version generated under the old Delphi (XE8) running with no issues. Presently, that would be version 3.0.5.0.

Bugs
I made a serious pass through all the remaining emailed bug reports in 2019, without finding anything of note to change. Mostly I inserted a few checks to avoid non-fatal errors (these pop up when quitting the game when the program is expecting a form to be completed (e.g., Choose Action).

After spending a lot of time looking into Supply calculations taking too long, I came up with only a couple of small changes. The program had been trying to find paths between supply sources belonging to cooperating major powers and aligned minors. For example, Germany typically has Italy as a cooperating major power and Rumania as an aligned minor country. All that code was useless. Cooperating major power supply sources and aligned minor country supply sources can never be on the same supply path. That’s because they do not cooperate (e.g., Italy does not cooperate with Rumania). So I trashed about 1500 lines of code (commented it out actually). That should speed things up a little.

Another bug I explored for supply calculations taking too long was from an old game. 10 days of effort later I figured out that the game was damaged. An old bug having to do with France being completely conquered and then rising from the dead when one of its old minor countries is liberated, left the Relationships data between major powers and minor countries all screwed up. [That bug has long since been fixed.] France was recorded as being at war with a slew of still-neutral minor countries (e.g., Switzerland and Turkey). The program was treating hexes in those minors as possible supply routes for both sides (Axis and Allied). A ton of time was spent searching uselessly for supply paths.

All in all, my time spent looking into speeding up supply calculations wasn’t fruitful. I have an internal time monitor for supply calculations, breaking it down into a dozen or so pieces. The amount of time spent on each piece is reported so I can tell where the program is expending the most effort. But that depends on the individual game. In some games, a lot of time is spent determining whether Secondary supply sources can trace a path to Primary sources. In other games, it is the search for Overseas supply paths that burns the time. In yet third instances, searching for Tertiary supply paths back to Secondary is where the program takes excessive time. Very frustrating to not be able to identify one place that misbehaves in every case.

So, I have put working on speeding up supply calculations in abeyance for the nonce. That means that working on the optional rule Isolated Supply has also been set aside.

I’ll now select another missing Optional Rule to implement.

Nothing new in October.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in October.

Steve

Post #: 124
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 12/3/2019 12:57:00 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

December 2, 2019 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
No Hot Patch was released in November for customers. Meanwhile, the beta testers received a few new versions. We are now up to version 4.0.0.43 for testing MWIF compiled using Delphi Rio (version 10.3).

I have a new Hot Patch ready to compile (version 3.0.5.0), but I need to write the Release Notes. Also, because it needs to be generated using the old Delphi XE8, I have to copy the modified source code over to my old computer and compile it there. Version 3.0.5.0 will use source code identical to that used to create version 4.0.0.43.

Program Development
I made some improvements to the Pools form and the View Units form. For the Pools form, I added a small table that shows the number of convoys and pilots lost by each major power during the turn. Those counts are reset to zero at the beginning of each turn. The table appears when viewing the Destroyed Pool.

In addition, I changed the layout for the Pools form, so instead of seeing 4 by 13 units (52) on a small screen size (1024 by 768), it now shows 6 by 9 units (54). That is a minuscule increase but there is a larger payoff when the form is resized horizontally. That can be done if you have a wider monitor. For each new column you now see 6 more units instead of 4. In Barbarossa, 15 columns shows all the units in the USSR force pool. 21 columns shows all the German units.

As my third little side project, I modified the View Units form (Ctrl - U). It can now be resized vertically. With a monitor that has 768 pixels vertically, the form shows 14 units in a single column. My monitors have a vertical resolution of 2160. When the form is expanded to fill that monitor vertically, 27 units are visible.

Because the versions of MWIF created using Delphi Rio require replacement BPL (a.k.a. DDL) files, I am still holding off on generating a Delphi Rio MWIF - version 4.1.0.0 - as a Public Beta until I see a version generated under the old Delphi (XE8) running with no issues. Presently, that would be version 3.0.5.0.

Bugs
I am up-to-date with bugs reported via email and in the Tech Support forum for World in Flames. For bugs reported by beta testers, I am up-to-date except for three that I need to understand a little better before I can add them to my task list.

Added the code for Kamikaze pilots for the Japanese. Began work on the Rough Seas optional rule.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in November.

Steve

Post #: 125
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 1/7/2020 8:07:59 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

January 6, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
Hot Patch 3.0.5.0 was released in December for customers. Later in the month that was superceded by a Public Beta version 3.1.0.0 and, just before Christmas, Hot Patch version 3.1.0.1. Also during December, the beta testers received 5 new versions, the latest being 4.0.1.3. As before, the versions for the customers were compiled using Delphi XE8 and the beta tester versions using Delphi Rio (Delphi version 10.3).

Program Development
Because the versions of MWIF created using Delphi Rio require replacement BPL (a.k.a. DDL) files, I am still holding off on generating a Delphi Rio MWIF - version 4.1.0.0 - as a Public Beta until I see a version generated under the old Delphi (XE8) running with no issues. Presently, that is version 3.1.0.1.

Bugs
I am up-to-date with all bugs reported in December: via email, in the Tech Support forum for World in Flames, and those reported by beta testers, There are always a few more dribbling in. Lately I have been more successful in staying current in reviewing new bug reports. I’ve even been able to go back and tackle some of the older bug reports.

In December, the older ones I have been looking at are for NetPlay. In my game with Gerry, and other NetPlay games played by beta testers, naval operations have been getting rather intense. The US is fully in the war, and Italy has just been conquered. What all that means in game terms is that naval movement and combat in the Pacific has been constant every turn, almost every impulse. Not to be neglected, the Commonwealth and Axis have continued to fight it out for control of the Mediterranean. Virtually every aspect of naval movement and combat has been getting a rather thorough testing. Odd problems have popped up, which I have been hammering down, sort of like ‘whack-a-mole’ at times. Whenever I go after fixing one of these, I check to see if anything similar has been reported previously. Many times I can fix the old and the new with a single set of changes to the code.

Nothing new in December. I’ll get back to working on these in January.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in December.

Steve

Post #: 126
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 2/10/2020 7:41:36 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

February 9, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Rats, I am late again with the status report. My chorus responsibilities are heating up. I’m scheduler and dispatcher for the Singing Valentines this coming week: which quartets go where when to sing to whom - spread out all over the island of Oahu.

Product Releases

Not much progress in January. The beta testers received 4 new versions, the latest being 4.0.1.7.

Bugs
The new players that purchased World in Flames during the Christmas sale are generating some discussions.
And, once again I am lagging with bugs reported in January: via email, in the Tech Support forum for World in Flames, and those reported by beta testers. I catch up and them fall behind. There seems to be a pattern here.

I continue to work on the Naval stuff for NetPlay. Those bugs are difficult to nail down and fix; sort of like trying to nail jell-O to the wall. Over time I was able to prove that several of them no longer exist, and to fix a couple of them, but I still have 3 that refuse to go away.

Nothing new in January. Hopefully I’ll be able to get back to working on these in February.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in January.

Steve

Post #: 127
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 3/6/2020 6:49:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

March 6, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
Small progress in February. The beta testers received 3 new versions, the latest being 4.0.1.10.

I expect to post a new Hot Patch (version 03.01.00.02) to the World in Flames forum today (March 6th). If that doesn’t generate any new bug reports, we’ll make it a Public Beta late in the following week

Bugs
I’ve caught up with all the various bug report streams: via email, in the Tech Support forum for World in Flames, and reported by beta testers. Nothing real exciting is being reported, other than some trouble with starting a new Guadalcanal scenario (which is fixed in today’s upcoming Hot Patch version).

I got some things correct in unusual Naval Interception Combats for NetPlay. Most of those involved nested digressions, outside of the standard sequence of play. For example, there was a problem with an advance after combat overrunning multiple naval units, which were then forced to rebase (first digression), were successfully intercepted (second digression), took losses from the resulting naval combat, and forced to abort (third digression). The program now correctly processes those digressions in reverse order of occurence: (1) continuing the naval interception combat (Yes/No asked of both sides), (2) aborts from the naval combat (both sides), (3) continuing to move the overrun naval units, and finally (4) continuing the advance after combat. In the last step, there were two major powers capable of advancing units into the combat hex. Once the advance after combat is completed, the program checks to see if there are any more land combats to resolve, and if not, it advances the sequence of play to Air Rebase. Tricky stuff to code, especially when considering that the game states on the two computers have to be identical throughout the entire process and the deciding major powers switch back and forth between the two sides depending on the die rolls, etc.

The last item on NetPlay Naval Combat bugs I want to fix (completely) is when the result of a naval combat (during a normal Naval Combat phase) causes units to abort through a sea area where they are successfully intercepted and forced to fight (a second naval combat), with the naval units eventually forced to continue aborting to a friendly port. There are several different points in those two naval combats (the original one and the naval interception combat) where units are placed in the Naval Abort Queue. Getting the program to process through the Queue in correct order when playing over the internet (i.e., NetPlay) fails at times. Both sides can have naval units to abort from both combats. I have 3 saved games where this problem has arisen (all different in some particulars) that I need to run through step by step, monitoring the Naval Abort Queue number for each aborting unit, to make sure the queue is processed correctly, and completely - until it is empty.

Nothing new in February.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in February.

Steve

Post #: 128
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 4/1/2020 2:33:03 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

April 1, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
I posted two new Hot Patches (versions 03.01.00.02 and 03.01.00.03) to the World in Flames forum in March. There were a couple of problems with the first of those versions, hence the second. If the latest doesn’t generate any new bug reports, we’ll make it a Public Beta in roughly a week. The beta testers received 3 new versions, the most recent being 4.0.1.13, which is comparable to Hot Patch 03.01.00.03

I really want to switch over completely to using the latest version of Delphi to compile and build the MWIF executable (MWIF.exe). It has been about 9 months that the beta testers have been running versions created using Delphi Rio (10.3), so it definitely generates a stable MWIF.exe. Up until now, all the versions released to customers have been created using the older Delphi XE8. Indeed, the glitch with my first attempt at uploading Hot Patch version 03.01.00.03 (internally it displayed the version number as 03.01.00.02) was caused by my updating the code on two separate computers. Turning off the old computer once and for all would be quite pleasant.

Hopefully in April, I will be comfortable enough with the code to switch all World in Flames customers over to version 04.01.00.00, created using Delphi Rio. That will have to be as a Public Beta, since the MWIF.exe will be accompanied by a new set of BPL files (a.k.a., DLLs). Installing the new BPLs deserves to be handled automatically by the Matrix/Slitherine installer, which is what the Public Beta versions use. Asking each individual customer to deal with the niceties of installing BPLs, would not be wise. Letting the installer do them all is best.

Bugs
I remain up-to-date with the 3 bug report streams: via email, in the Tech Support forum for World in Flames, and reported by beta testers. Aside from a couple of bugs in version 03.01.00.02, nothing in particular stood out as serious this past month.

During March I looked back on all the bug reports from Tech Support since July 2019. I reduced the open bug reports from that list down to 6 - just counting those with saved games that can be used to reproduce the bugs. I want to merge my 3 spreadsheets/Word Perfect files into my Master Task List, which hasn’t been fully updated since the fall of 2019. Then I can prune redundancies therein and delete items for bugs that have since been fixed. A common occurrence is that I get the same bug report from different people and/or from different sources. There is nothing wrong with that. I prefer to have duplicate reports rather than not know about a bug. But it does mean that I need to spend some time reducing my master task list to just the “good stuff”. Or is that just the “bad stuff”?

Annoyingly, I didn’t get time to work on the last item on NetPlay Naval Combat bugs. What I want to fix (completely) is when the result of a naval combat (during a normal Naval Combat phase) causes units to abort through a sea area where they are successfully intercepted and forced to fight (a second naval combat), with the naval units eventually forced to continue aborting to a friendly port.

There are several different points in those two naval combats (the original one and the naval interception combat) where units are placed in the Naval Abort Queue. Getting the program to process through the Queue in correct order when playing over the internet (i.e., NetPlay) fails at times. Both sides can have naval units to abort from both combats. I have 3 saved games where this problem has arisen (all different in some particulars) that I need to run through step by step, monitoring the Naval Abort Queue number for each aborting unit, to make sure the queue is processed correctly, and completely - until it is empty.

Last week I did fix an Abort Queue Processing bug from solitaire play. That correction applies to all modes of play, so at least I won’t have to deal with it as a NetPlay specific bug.

Nothing new in March.

AI Opponent (AIO)
We should have a new sub-forum (AI Opponent) added to the World in Flames main forum in the next week. What I want to do is gather all the AI Opponent threads scattered throughout the main forum and move them into the AI Opponent sub-forum. Then everyone can put in their opinions and advice on developing the AIO.

A ton of work has already been done by Peter (Pesk-Pesk) and myself on the AIO. Our next goal is have the AIO play either side of the Barbarossa scenario, using a fixed rule set. What rules, you may ask? Well, that is one topic for discussion in the AIO sub-forum.

Steve

Post #: 129
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 5/8/2020 3:21:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

May 7, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases

I gave the beta testers a lot of new versions in April. That was mostly due to me introducing new bugs with changes to fix old bugs: “Hello! I am here to replace a bug which no longer exists. My specialty is to prevent you from loading saved games!” In the end, the count of new beta test versions in April and the first week of May was eleven: 4..0.1.14 - 4.0.1.18, plus 4.0.2.0 - 4.0.2.5. My appreciation of the beta testers is ever increasing.

At this point I’ll finalize the next hot patch for release later today: version 3.1.0.4. In keeping with my previous plans, if the new hot patch doesn’t generate new bug reports, we’ll make it a Public Beta in roughly a week.

Then there is my desire to switch over completely to using the latest version of Delphi to compile and build the MWIF executables (MWIF.exe). For today, I’ll still use the older version of Delphi: XE8. You can look forward to seeing possibly two new Public Betas in May. The first will be compiled with Delphi XE8 and a later one compiled using Delphi Rio (10.3). The latter MWIF.exe will be accompanied by a new set of BPL files (a.k.a., DLLs). Installing the new BPLs for the second public beta will be handled automatically by the Matrix/Slitherine installer.

Bugs
I remain up-to-date with my 3 bug report streams: Mad Excepts reported via email, posts in the Tech Support forum for World in Flames, and reports from beta testers. Most of the new bugs were piddling little ones from typos and transitory logic failures by me.

Continuing my assault on old bug reports, I reduced my master task list bugs concerning Land Operations to two: for one I do not have a saved game, but it looks significant, and the other is not being able to switch units freely between stacks of land units that are full.

The first Land Operations problem is from a recent NetPlay game involving invasions plus other land combats, with the program halting during the Advance After Combat phase. It isn’t possible for me to recreate this without a saved game. If anyone runs across this and is able to recreate it, I would dearly love to have a saved game and instructions on how to reproduce.

The problem with not being able to switch units freely between adjacent hexes is #276 on my task list. Now I started numbering bug reports back in 2005 or so and started my numbering system at #100. So this bug is older than some of the people playing MWIF. After I got up to #9999, I renumbered all the bugs with numbers less than 1000, so I would have a fresh 900 numbers available. This means that this bug appears as #O276 on my list, the O indicating it is from the original 100 - 999 bugs

The only other two bugs that old on my master task list are O409 (incomplete implementation of the Search and Seizure rules) and O769 (the Detailed Map not refreshing correctly from time to time).

While I did fix some NetPlay bugs in April, I didn’t get time to work on the NetPlay Naval Combat bugs. What I want to fix (completely) is when the result of a naval combat (during a normal Naval Combat phase) causes units to abort through a sea area where they are successfully intercepted and forced to fight (a second naval combat), with the aborted naval units eventually forced to continue aborting to a friendly port.

Nothing new in April.

AI Opponent (AIO)
I added a new sub-forum (AI Opponent) to the World in Flames main forum in April. With the help of Peter, I was able to gather all the AI Opponent threads scattered throughout the main forum and move them into the AI Opponent sub-forum. Everyone is encouraged to add their opinions and advice on developing the AIO to that forum

Steve

Post #: 130
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 6/1/2020 5:13:47 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

June 1, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
I released the Hot Patch version 3.1.0.4 early in May, which was followed quickly by Hot Patch version 3.1.0.5 to fix a significant problem in the previous version. At the end of May, I released version 3.1.0.6, which had several important corrections. In addition, I gave the beta testers 4 new versions 4.0.2.6 - 4.0.2.9 in the past month.

Next up is to send a Public Beta (version 4.1.0.0) to Matrix Games/Slitherine to make available for everyone to try. The code for that version should be very similar, if not identical, to version 3.1.0.6. The major difference is that the 4.1.0.0 will be compiled, and the executable built, using Delphi 10.3.

Version 4.1.0.0 will fulfill my desire to switch over to using the 10.3 version of Delphi to compile and build all MWIF executables (MWIF.exe). That MWIF.exe will be accompanied by a new set of BPL files (a.k.a., DLLs). Installing the new BPLs for the public beta will be handled automatically by the Matrix/Slitherine installer.

As a side note, Embarcadero announced this week that version 10.4 of Delphi is now available. To quote Lewis Carroll: “The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.”

Bugs
I remain up-to-date with my 2 bug report streams: posts in the Tech Support forum for World in Flames, and reports from beta testers. Almost all of those bug reports are accompanied by saved games, which makes it much easier for me to make sure the bugs are bugs, and to fix them when they are.

Mad Excepts reported via email are vastly more ambiguous as to their cause. Which is why I tend to lag behind on investing my time to figure out what they are all about.

Important recent corrections are:

1. Added extensive in-line documentation to the code for air-to-air combat and fixed a bug with applying surprise points.

2. Fixed a problem with the Anti-aircraft Fire form reappearing during the return to base digression for a land based bomber that was just aborted due to anti-aircraft fire. Now the form only reappears after the aborted bomber has been returned to base and the digression has ended.

3. Fixed a problem with the program sometimes generating a fatal error after applying several results from Anti-aircraft fire.

4. Added a new section of code to check if major powers have sent enough Build Points to fulfill their trade agreements. If they have not, then additional build points are marked as Lost - No Path, and the number of available build points for the sending major powers is comparably reduced.

5. For NetPlay, added code at the start of the transition to a new air phase (e.g., port attack, ground strike) to set the air subphase to CAP prior to the call to AutoSave. This is so both players save the game as being in the CAP subphase. Previously, one player’s saved game would have the erroneous setting of Done. When the game was restored, the phase would then immediately advance to the next phase, instead of restoring to the CAP phase of the given air mission phase. This also applies to saved games using the Solitaire and Head-to-head modes of play.

6. For NetPlay, fixed a problem with applying anti-aircraft fire damage points to air units during port attacks. Previously, the reduction in naval air combat factors was only applied on one of the two computers. The other computer had the AA fire as having No Effect. That sometimes resulted in different outcomes on the two computers.

7. Fixed a problem with using oil to reorganize units where a major pwoer had no oil of its own available but could use oil belonging to a cooperating major power. Before this change, the major power without oil was not given the opportunity to use oil from a cooperating major power.

8. Corrected a problem where HQs were unable to find supply to primary supply sources of cooperating major powers (e.g., Italian HQ to German primary supply source).

Nothing new in May.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in May.

Steve

Post #: 131
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 7/9/2020 5:22:59 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

July 8, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
I released Hot Patch version 3.1.0.7 in mid-June. The beta testers received 5 new versions 4.0.2.10 - 4.0.2.14 in the past month.

Rather than go ahead with a new Public Beta, I have been focusing on investigating and fixing bugs reported in the Tech Support sub-forum and received from beta testers. I also spent several weeks working on improving Production Planning, especially how build points (which fulfill trade agreements) are created and routed. Until those changes are verified as being fully functional, I’ll hold off on creating the Public Beta.

In order to release a new Hot Patch, I need to set up a Drop Box which will be accessible to all customers. Because the attachments to posst in the World in Flames forum are limited to 9,999 KB, I will no longer be able to simply post the zipped MWIF.exe as an attachment - since it exceeds that size.

Bugs
I remain up-to-date with my 2 bug report streams: posts in the Tech Support forum for World in Flames, and reports from beta testers. Almost all of those bug reports are accompanied by saved games, which makes it much easier for me to make sure the bugs are bugs, and to fix them when they are.

Mad Excepts reported via email are vastly more ambiguous as to their cause. Which is why I am still lagging in getting them all recorded and examined.

Production Planning is far too complicated. Of course the cause is the myriad of rules concerning what can go where when using what convoys. Below are my in-line summary comments for how they are determined. Note that there are many nested loops: all trade agreements, separate loops for override/default/etc. Cycles through oil, non-oil. For loops for all the possible resources to fulfill a trade agreement. Search for overland and overseas paths, and lastly all the Build Point specific code. US Entry options play a role in what can occur, as well as the states of war between countries (including alignments). Then there are the limits imposed by the rules on how many resources/build ponts can go through ports, be stored in cities and ports. The list of exceptions to the basic rules are numerous too. There are over 18,000 lines of code for making this work, not counting all the various support modules (e.g., sorting and filtering resources, referencing country data).

// ****************************************************************************
// ProductionCompute.
// AssignTradeResources
// Fulfill_USJapanTradeAgreement
// FindBestResource(trtOil, True); // Major powers only.
// trsOverride, trsDefault, trsUnscheduled, trsLastTurn, trsAny, trsAnySub
//
// repeat
// for TradIndx := 0 to Count - 1 do
// FindResource(TradeTyp, Search_Type, Majors)
// FindResToFulfill
// for F1stGResIndx := 0 to Map.ResourceList.Count - 1 do
// TryResToFulfill
// trsOverride, trsDefault, trsUnscheduled, trsLastTurn, ...
// FindAnyRoute
// FindRoute(Land or Sea)
// until not FoundAnotherResource;
//
// FindBestResource(trtNonOil, True); // Major powers only.
// FindBestResource(trtOil, False); // All countries.
// FindBestResource(trtNonOil, False); // All countries.
//
// DecideOnResources
// FullSearch(1); // Overland only.
// for Search_Type := tresOverride to tresAny do
// EvalResource
// tresOverride, tresDefault, tresMostRecent, tresLastTurn, tresAny
// FindRoute(Land or Sea is parameter in FullSearch)
// FullSearch(2); // Overseas also explored.
//
// AssignTradeBuildPoints
// CreateDummyFactoryHex; // Add cities & major ports as possilbe BP dest.
// BuildLimits; // Set maximum BPs that a major power can produce.
// Set_BP_Source_Destination; // Set source and destination for a build point.
// FindBestResource(trtBuildPoints, True); // Major powers only.
// trsOverride, trsDefault, trsUnscheduled, trsLastTurn, trsAny, trsAnySub
//
// repeat
// for TradIndx := 0 to Count - 1 do
// FindResource(TradeTyp, Search_Type, Majors)
// FindResToFulfill
// for F1stGResIndx := 0 to Map.ResourceList.Count - 1 do
// TryResToFulfill
// trsOverride, trsDefault, trsUnscheduled, trsLastTurn, ...
// FindAnyRoute
// FindRoute(Land or Sea)
// until not FoundAnotherResource;
//

Nothing new in June.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in June.

Steve

Post #: 132
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 8/3/2020 10:58:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

August 3, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
I released Hot Patch version 3.2.0.0 on August 2, 2020. It was compiled and linked using the older verison of Delphi: XE8. In July, the beta testers received 8 new versions: 4.0.3.0 - 4.0.3.7, all compiled and linked using Delphi Rio (10.3).

I had to set up a Drop Box accessible to all customers to download the last Hot Patch. Because attachments in the World in Flames forum are limited to 9,999 KB, I could no longer simply post the zipped MWIF.exe as an attachment - since it exceeds that size. So far, accessing the new Hot Patch via the Drop Box link appears to be going smoothly. That’s a relief.

Next up is to take that same code, compile and link it using Delphi Rio, and then release it as a Public Beta. There has been one recent hiccup with a new beta tester trying to use the Delphi Rio version. I would like to get that cleared up before sending all the files to Slitherine/Matrix so they can create the Public Beta version.

Bugs
I continued to spend weeks working on improving Production Planning. That code is complex primarily because of all the special rules concerning sending resources and build points to other countries. Most of the US Entry Options affect what is and is not permitted. Every special rule requires separate branching logic to processes the deviations from the rules that normally apply. Piled on top of those are all the possible relationships between countries, their aligned minors, neutral minors. As the states of war change between countries in the game, the code has to deal with the “may/may not” consequences for routing resources.

Giving players the ability to control what goes where in this changing simulated world, while still adhering to the Australian Design Group’s rules for World in Flames, was, is, and always will be a challenge.

I remain up-to-date with my 2 main bug report streams: posts in the Tech Support forum for World in Flames, and reports from beta testers. Bug reports accompanied by saved games are much easier for me to solve and then make sure they are fixed.

Sadly, I remain woefully behind in processing the third data stream, Mad Excepts reported via email.

Corrected a couple of problems with Kamikazes in July.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in July.

Steve

Post #: 133
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 9/10/2020 10:38:55 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

September 10, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
In August and early September the beta testers received 8 new versions: 4.0.3.8. 4.1.0.1 - 4.1.0.8, 4.1.1.0, and 4.1.1.1, all compiled and linked using Delphi Rio (10.3).

It took me 10 days to figure out and correct the problem a new beta tester had using the Delphi Rio versions. Turns out that Delphi ships with both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of the Windows supplied Visual Component Libraries (DLLs). Originally I sent the correct (32 bit) versions to the beta testers but somehow sent the 64 bit versions to the new guy. All those files have the same names and creation dates so the only way to determine which is which is to try using one set and see if it works or not. That was pretty easy to do, ... once I figured out what was going wrong [super unhelpful error messages].

After I cleared that up, I ran into another problem creating a Release version of the same source code for distribution as a Public Beta version. Delphi provides two ways to compile, link, and build an application: Debug and Release. The former contains a lot of extra code (inserted by the compiler) so the developer (me) can check what happens internally as the program runs. The Release version omits all that stuff and also generates an ‘optimized’ executable. In essence, the Release version of MWIF.exe is smaller and runs faster. This all worked great with the old Delphi XE8.

But when I created the Release version using Delphi 10.3 some of the graphics were messed up. In trying to fix that, 3 weeks disappeared in a blur of confusion and profanity. This morning I worked out a way to generate a Public Beta version. It is a Debug version (as Delphi defines it) but it excludes some code I created exclusively for use by the beta testers. From the player’s point of view, it seems the same as the version created using the old Delphi XE8. On the disk, the new MWIF.exe takes up more space. The difference in processing speed should be negligible, or possibly even zero.

So, expect version 04.02.00.00 to be available as a public beta in the next week or so.

Bugs
I started the month working on processing Mad Excepts reported via email. Although I was able to download, name, number, and enter them all into my spreadsheet, I only got about halfway through actually looking at them and pruning the duplicate and opaque reports. The latter are bug reports that contain virtually no information other than: “something went wrong”.

After I began to focus on getting a public beta created using Delphi 10.3, I more or less ignored the other two data streams: from the Tech Support forum and the beta testers. I’ll get back to working on that now that the public beta has been turned over to Matrix for release.

Nothing new in August.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in August.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 9/10/2020 10:41:45 PM >

Steve

Post #: 134
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 10/2/2020 10:17:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

October 2, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
At the end of September the public beta version 04.02.00.00 was made available to customers. This version was compiled, linked, and built using Delphi Rio (10.3). Embarcadero, which owns Delphi, created the Delphi 10.xx series to support Windows 10. Because Windows 10 is substantially different from previous versions of Windows, the Windows Visual Component Libraries (VCLs) in previous versions of World in Flames needed to be replaced with the comparable VCLs for Windows 10. If you explore the new files added to the World in Flames folder for version 04.02.00.00, you will find new VCL...BPL files.

All future versions of World in Flames (e.g., hot patches) will require that the player has installed version 04.02.00.00.

In September, the beta testers received 6 new versions: 4.2.0.1 though 4.2.0.6, all compiled and linked using Delphi Rio (10.3). Note that these versions had changes made after 04.02.00.00 was created. There is a lag time between when I send a version off to Matrix/Slitherine to have them release it as a public beta, and it is made available to customers.

In the interim, they create a public beta executable which contains more than just the MWIF.exe and release notes. It also contains all the supporting files for MWIF, including the BPL files, the training videos, and the numerous MWIF data files. Once they have the auto-run EXE in hand, they put it through a series of tests and then send it to me so I can also run tests to make sure everything is working correctly. All in all, that results in a delay of a few weeks.

Bugs
After getting version 04.02.00.00 off to Matrix, I went back to bringing my task list up-to-date. I accomplished that for both the bug reports in the Tech Support forum and those the beta testers reported in a separate Development forum. Besides recording everything and downloading the accompanying saved games, I was able to methodically compare those two lists with my master task list, so all 3 match, with no redundancies and with all ‘fixed’ bugs removed from the three spreadsheets/lists.

However, I still have bug reports received via email since mid-August (i.e., Mad Excepts) to download, name, number, and enter into my third spreadsheet, Then I need to work on processing them to see what they are all about.

Working on bug reports should consume about half my time in October.

Nothing new in September. I’ll get back to adding more optional rules to the game in October. That should consume the other half of my time. My current goal it to complete adding all the misssing optional rules and the half map scenarios to the game by the end of this year.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in September. If all goes well, I hope to be working on the AIO 80% of the time beginning 1/1/21.

Steve

Post #: 135
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 11/9/2020 12:38:27 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

November 8, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
At the beginning of November, Matrix/Slitherine changed the server for the NetPlay Private forum. This transition caused the server to be unavailable for a day or so. However, all is now well and the new server is both faster and better balances the load placed upon it.

In October, the beta testers received many new versions: 4.2.0.7 though 4.2.0.14, all compiled and linked using Delphi Rio (10.3). I didn’t generate any new versions (Hot Patches) for customers in October. Primarily that is because I want to fix an unusual problem with sending build points from the Commonwealth to the USSR when there is no path - see below.

All future versions of World in Flames (e.g., hot patches) will require that the player has installed version 04.02.00.00.

Bugs
Working on bug reports consumed most (but not all) of my time in October.

By the end of October I had all three of my sources of bug reports (emailed, posted in the Tech Support forum, and from beta testers) completely up-to-date and the different streams merged into one Master Task List. In November I’ll start working on the ones that many players are reporting and/or seem most deleterious to game play.

There is one bug that I’ve been working on for the past week: in a saved game from a beta tester, there is no path for sending a build point from the Commonwealth to the USSR. The program was taking 15 minutes to report that fact. I’ve cut the time by 20%, down to 12 minutes. But that is still crazy too long. Wading into the nested search loops is both painful and time consuming. Once I figure out and fix that bug, I’ll upload a new Hot Patch.

In October I reviewed the code that I had already written for three of the missing/optional rules: Isolated Units, City Based Volunteers, and Search & Seizure. Roughly 80% of the code had been written years ago for these, and I needed to refresh my memory as to how I envisioned finishing the work on each of them. None of them should be especially difficult. I would like to complete them in the next week or so and then let the beta testers put the new code through its paces.

I had not finished Isolated Units because the calculations for determining supply (Out of Supply units) had been taking a lot of CPU cycles. These days that code seems to be running reasonably fast. Therefore I’ll now extend the supply checking task to include isolated units. Instead of checking for isolated units using an infinite path to reach a supply source, I will limit each path to 50 hexes. In most cases, units are isolated by blocking enemy zones of control (and all sea hexsides, alpine hexsides, etc.) with a close encirclement. That is, usually a search distance/path of 5 hexes will confirm that the unit is isolated.

For City Based Volunteers, I had come very close to finishing that code many years ago. The beta testers found some problems with how the code behaved and I was busy with other stuff at the time. So I simply set it aside (disabled the optional rule) until I could spend some dedicated time on it. Basically, I need to debug the code that already exists.

The third item is completing the code for Search and Seizure. The conditions for when this can occur depends on routing traded resources overseas. Since there had been a lot of problems with the code that implements that function in the game, I did not want to add more code onto the tail end of the process until both Preliminary and Final Production Planning were behaving in an acceptable manner. All that is left to do is to finish the form players will use to have one of their major powers initiate search and seizure of resources being sent to an enemy major power by a third (neutral) major power.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in October. I still hope to be working on the AIO 80% of the time beginning 1/1/21.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 11/9/2020 12:40:47 AM >

Steve

Post #: 136
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 12/2/2020 10:02:29 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

December 2, 2020 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
In November I posted a Drop Box link to a new Hot Patch (version 04.02.01.02). The beta testers received one new version: 04.02.01.03.

Bugs
Working on missing optional rules consumed most of my time in November, although I did fix a few recently reported bugs. My three sources of bug reports (emailed, posted in the Tech Support forum, and from beta testers) were up-to-date as of last week. This coming month I’ll spend a little more time on them.

In November I finished the code for the optional rules Isolated Units and City Based Volunteers. Towards the end of the month I completed the code for Search and Seizure, which not an optional rule but was a section of the rules that had never been implemented for MWIF.

Of the 80 optional rules, 60 have been implemented. I have 11 more lined up to be done next, in order:
1. V Weapons Rules as Coded 11.7.1
2. Atomic Bombs Rules as Coded 11.7.1
3. Flying Bombs Rules as Coded 14.7
4. Hitler’s War Rules as Coded 13.3.2
5. Guards Banner Armies Rules as Coded 22.4.14
6. Recruitment Limits Rules as Coded 4.2
7. Rough Seas Rules as Coded 22.4.6
8. USSR Japan Compulsory Peace Rules as Coded 13.7.3
9. Naval Supply Units Rules as Coded 22.4.13
10. Partisan HQs Rules as Coded 22.4.16
11. Limited Aircraft Interception Rules as Coded 14.2.1

Then there are the last 9, some of which I do not intend to attempt to code, for the reasons given below.
• Japanese Command Conflict (Rules as Coded 22.3). Maybe - makes Japanese production more difficult.
• Convoys In Flames (Rules as Coded 22.4.6). Maybe - numerous details to code.

• Surprised ZOCs (Rules as Coded 2.2)
No - too big an effect on game play. Minor countries become trivial to conquer.
• Ukraine (Rules as Coded 19.12). No - would it ever be used? The cost of 1 offensive chit is high and the benefits are dubious at best.
• Bounce Combat (Rules as Coded 14.3.3)
No - too difficult to code. Air-to-air combat was extremely difficult to code. Having a second air-to-air combat nested within an initial air-to-air combat would be insanely complex to code.
• Frogmen (Rules as Coded 22.4.3)
No - too small an effect on game play. There are only 3 of these units in the game, which cost 2 build points to build and take 1 year to arrive. Then they merely conduct a weak port attack.
• Enroute Interception (Rules as Coded 14.2.1)
No - too difficult to implement. This would affect all air missions and create additional decision points for the enemy player to decide whether to intercept or not. The players could end up fighting multiple air-to-air combats instead of a maximum of one for each air mission.
• Oil Tankers (Rules as Coded 22.4.6). No - makes routing resources very, very difficult.
• Intelligence (Rules as Coded 22.1).
No - too difficult to implement. The players could be prompted repeatedly to make decisions throughout the sequence of play.

As of this writing, I have V Weapons mostly complete. The remaining problem is getting stacking to work correctly. These units are treated as land divisions for moving by rail and overland. Moving by sea, they can be transported, but are considered corps sized. But for launching attacks, they perform air missions. So, internally, they are stored as air units, but do not count as such for stacking purposes in land hexes. Basically, to make them work in MWIF, they need to be treated as exceptions to a whole passel of existing code.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in November . It now looks like I won’t get to working on the AIO until February 1st, 2021.

Steve

Post #: 137
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 1/8/2021 9:28:50 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

January 8, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
No new Hot Patches last month. The most recent was in November: version 04.02.01.02. The beta testers received 5 new versions: 04.02.01.04 through 04.02.01.08. I should have a new Hot Patch out next week.

Bugs
Working on missing optional rules consumed about half my time in December. I also fixed a few recently reported bugs. My three sources of bug reports (emailed, posted in the Tech Support forum, and from beta testers) were up-to-date as of the end of the year.

What I have done to reduce the time required to determine Isolated units is to reduce the maximum path for finding supply from 50 hexes to 10 hexes. 10 hexes is equivalent to about 550 miles. So that seems reasonable to me. Mostly what I would like this rule to do is to identify units (and groups of units) that are surrounded. A secondary concern is to prevent units that have wandered far away from their sources of supply from being reorganized automatically at the end of the turn.

In December I fixed some problems in the code for the optional rules Isolated Units and City Based Volunteers.

I have V Weapons all done except for the special rule that after moving a V Weapon in an impulse it cannot fire during that impulse. Meanwhile I have looked at the code for A Bombs, which is mostly complete, but requires new code for the unusual capability of air units transporting other air units. Flying Bombs also require that capability. The code for them is complete except for that ability. The next Hot Patch should have code for all 3 of these optional rules.

Hopefully I can make more progress on the other missing optional rules this month:
1. Hitler’s War Rules as Coded 13.3.2
2. Guards Banner Armies Rules as Coded 22.4.14
3. Recruitment Limits Rules as Coded 4.2
4. Rough Seas Rules as Coded 22.4.6
5. USSR Japan Compulsory Peace Rules as Coded 13.7.3
6. Naval Supply Units Rules as Coded 22.4.13
7. Partisan HQs Rules as Coded 22.4.16
8. Limited Aircraft Interception Rules as Coded 14.2.1

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in December.

EDIT: Fixed some typos.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/8/2021 9:31:27 PM >

Steve

Post #: 138
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 2/4/2021 7:18:52 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

February 4, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
No new Hot Patches last month. The most recent was in November: version 04.02.01.02. No new versions for the beta testers either. The numerous changes that I was making to the code for the AI Opponent generated compile errors. That meant that there were no decent executables for either customers or beta testers to use. Compile errors have calmed down recently, so I should be able to get something new out to everyone in the next couple of days.

Bugs
Two of my three sources of bug reports (posted in the Tech Support forum and from beta testers) were up-to-date as of the end of January. As for the third data stream (emailed bug reports), I have fallen behind once again.

I only made a few fixes for bugs during January.

I’ve been using the optional rule Isolated Units in my ~30 hours a week NetPlay game this year. The code change reducing the maximum path for finding supply from 50 hexes to 10 hexes is working without any noticeable delay in response time. With this rule in effect, having units wander far and wide behind enemy lines (especially in China) is a less effective tactic. They get isolated easily and if they then move, they become: disorganized, are immobile, weaker defensively, and easily destroyed.

I finished the code for V-Weapons. The code for A Bombs is mostly complete, except for actually dropping the A-Bomb. The program is still using the combat factors of the transporting air unit, instead of the 25 factors from the A-Bomb. Finishing that last step won’t take long. Before making the next hot patch available, I would like to get the optional rule Flying Bombs working as well.

My list for the remaining missing optional rules is unchanged - but I want to review it again based on feedback I have gotten from customers and beta testers:

1. Hitler’s War Rules as Coded 13.3.2
3. Recruitment Limits Rules as Coded 4.2
4. Rough Seas Rules as Coded 22.4.6
6. Naval Supply Units Rules as Coded 22.4.13
7. Partisan HQs Rules as Coded 22.4.16

AI Opponent (AIO)
I spent more than half my time in January working on the code for the AI Opponent. To start, I want to have the AIO, playing the USSR, capable of beginning the Barbarossa scenario. That entails scrapping units, deciding which air units receive pilots (or are NOT returned to the Force Pool when not using pilots), placing the units on the map, and calling out and placing the reserves on the map.

I finished the task of scrapping units. Basically the AIO will always scrap the same units. Because the scenario is only 5 turns long, building new units is not that important. This is especially true for units that take more than 2 turns to arrive. Those with a long production time will have to be built in the first or second turn, and even then they won’t arrive until the last turn. It is much simpler to just make hard and fast decisions for the AIO to scrap weaker units, with the benefit of knowing precisely (or nearly so) which units are available at the beginning of the scenario to be placed on the map. Spending USSR build points on militia units and land units that Germany destroys in the first few turns is a reasonable plan. To have the AIO actually scrap units was rather simple, since the code existed for reading in a list of units to be scrapped.

Even easier was deciding on a “saved setup” for the USSR in Barbarossa. Saved setups only address non-random units, such as named units (ships) and saved oil points. HQs also qualify for this category, but I did not want to commit the AIO to always placing the USSR HQs in the same hexes. Therefore, deciding on where the HQs set up will be part of the script for deciding where the randomly selected units are placed (e.g., infantry and cavalry). Here again, the code for reading in a saved setup already existed, so I just had the AIO read in a saved setup (that I created manually) and had MWIF apply it the same way it does other saved setups.

Having finished those code changes, which required new branching logic based on the decision maker being the AIO, I moved on to the script for setting up the USSR in Barbarossa. Back in 2009, Peter S. and I had worked on a script for setting up France at the beginning of the Global War scenario. Using that as a framework, I had a head start on the USSR setup script. Separately, we had also looked into how the USSR should defend against a Barbarossa attack. Towards that end, we broken the terrain over which the Barbarossa battle takes place into Theaters, Areas, and Land Regions. The latter two hex sets are subsets of the previous hex set. Peter had gone even farther into the analysis in 2015, identifying critical hexes within each land region that should be occupied by the AIO to achieve a decent defensive position. See the screenshot below, where orange tinged hexes are the most important and yellow tinged hexes slightly less important. White hexes are third in importance and hexes without any color are of lowest importance.

We have a pretty good idea of where the reserves should go, but the script will have several different sets of positions for them, and randomly choose which one to use. That is the same principle that we’ll use for setting up other units: random numbers will determine which of several equally good setups will be used. Except for the reserves, all the other units have to be placed on the map before the USSR/AIO knows where the German units will set up. Without knowing where the German units will be, the AIO can’t take “the enemy position” into consideration.

Lastly, I have returned to writing code for the parser. I never wanted to hard code how the AIO makes decisions, instead I wanted to enable an ‘author’ to write scripts for how the AIO decides stuff. To achieve that I needed to define a language in which the scripts would be written: LAIO (Language for the Artificial Intelligence Opponent). I had some experience creating programming languages back in the early 1980s, when I created a language for doctors to write how a patient responds to disease and treatment over time. That was for the American Board of Internal Medicine. They wanted a program that would simulate the changes in a patient’s condition over time starting from “the patient presents ...” with a certain illness, and then responding to a doctor’s decisions to run tests and administer treatments.

Around 2008 I had LAIO defined for MWIF. Like other programming languages it has variables, branching logic, loops, functions, and procedures. Writing the language definition was accomplished while I was vacationing in Europe and at other times when I was unable to write MWIF code. However, it was only a paper document. The real work is in writing the parser, which reads in a LAIO script and transforms it into variables, branching logic, etc. for use by the MWIF Pascal code.

As for so much of the AIO code, I had already written about half of the parser. This past month I went back over what I had already done (many mental cobwebs needed dusting). Not only do I now understand what I had previously written, I have also added code that completes some of the tasks I had “up next” on my AIO task list way back in 2010.

I expect to spend at least half of my time next month on the AIO parser.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 139
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 3/6/2021 6:59:22 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

March 6, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
One new Hot Patch last month: version 4.2.2.0. Two new versions for the beta testers: 4.2.1.9 and 4.2.2.1. The latter is comparable to 4.2.2.0, but with Debug features enabled.

Bugs
My task list is up-to-date with bug reports from Tech Support (and other threads in the MWIF forum). Likewise, my list of problems reported by the beta testers is up-to-date. However, each list has grown by 10 or so items while I have been working on Optional Rules and the AI Opponent code. I need to spend some time investigating newly reported difficulties.

In general, new bug reports keep getting more and more obscure. Sometimes they engender discussions in the forum about rule interpretations. I’ve been playing WiF since 1985 and writing the code for MWIF since 2004. Can you take a wild guess as to how I feel about rule interpretation arguments? Typically my immediate reaction is to let the code remain as it is. Only a very convincing case for why the code is wrong - and that it makes a hill of beans of difference in game play - has to be made. If not, I just move on to more important stuff.

Annoyingly, for my third source of bug reports, (emailed) I am roughly two months behind. Eventually I’ll catch up, but those bug reports lack details and saved games. Working on them doesn’t usually yield much benefit, other than making me feel that I have an improved understanding of what players are running into.

I finished the code for A Bombs. I want to get the optional rule Flying Bombs working next.

My list for the remaining missing optional rules has changed, mostly based on feedback I received from customers and beta testers:

1. USSR Japan Compulsory Peace Rules as Coded 13.7.3
3. Naval Supply Units Rules as Coded 22.4.13
4. Limited Aircraft Interception Rules as Coded 14.2.1
5. Hitler’s War Rules as Coded 13.3.2
6. Partisan HQs Rules as Coded 22.4.16
7. Recruitment Limits Rules as Coded 4.2
8. Rough Seas Rules as Coded 22.4.6

AI Opponent (AIO)
I spent more than half my time in February working on the code for the AI Opponent.

Having the AIO playing the USSR in the Barbarossa scenario means being able to assign a combat value (CV) to each unit. My design for the AIO has CVs at its heart. They determine which air units should be assigned pilots. When a combat loss has to be taken, they determine which unit lives and which dies. Then they are also an integral part of the logic for deciding which units to build. The list of where a unit’s CV is referenced is very long.

One of the first ‘calls’ in an AIO script is to calculate the CV for every unit in the game. I need to have the parser decode the line in the script that makes that call. But first I need to write the MWIF/Delphi/Pascal function that makes those calculations, which is what I worked on a lot in February. There are 70 unique unit types in MWIF. Hence the logic for calculating CVs is a “case statement” with 60+ blocks of code.

Peter S. made an excellent first pass on the values for fighters and he is working on the same for bombers. To his draft, I have added some tweaks. One of the complexities for doing this is the number of optional rules involved. The first block of code shown below is what I presently have for the fighters. The value of a fighter is primarily due to its air-to-air combat value and range. Fighter-bombers get additional points for their ability to fly missions other than as pure fighters.

Peter has also finished the script for setting up the USSR air and reserve units for Barbarossa. Both of those have several variations with the variation chosen decided by a random number.

The second block of code below is my current thinking on the value of different land unit types. There are 38 land unit types, so the code below is only a fragment of what the whole will look like.

--------------------------------
utFighter: // FTR2 or FTR3.
begin
AU := TAirUnit(U);

Result := (AU.AirAir * 2) +
AU.Tactical +
(AU.Strategic * 0.5) +
(AU.AirSea * 0.5) +
AU.Range;
// Range bonus for flying a naval air mission.
if AU.Range > 10 then Result := Result + 3
else if AU.Range > 6 then Result := Result + 2
else if AU.Range > 3 then Result := Result + 1;
// Range bonus for flying an interception mission.
InterceptRange := (AU.Range + 1) div 2; // Fractional part truncated by div.
Result := Result + InterceptRange;
// Range bonus for flying a naval air support mission.
NavalAirSupportRange := InterceptRange;

if NavalAirSupportRange > 10 then Result := Result + 3
else if NavalAirSupportRange > 6 then Result := Result + 2
else if NavalAirSupportRange > 3 then Result := Result + 1;
// Additional effects when using optional rules.
if OptRules.TwinEnginedFighters and AU.TwinEngine then
Result := Result - 1;

if OptRules.NightMissions and AU.Night then
Result := Result + 0.5;

if OptRules.TankBusters and AU.TankBuster then
Result := Result + (AU.Tactical * 0.5); // Half again.
end;

-----------------------------------------------

// To the straight forward combat factor of a land unit, adjustments are made
// that take into consideration its mobility. Working from a base of 4
// movements points, the combat value is incremented or decremented by 0.5
// points for every difference in movement points. For example, a 7-5 infantry
// is worth 7.5 CVs and a 6-3 is worth 5.5 CVs. Divisional units are reduced by
// a full point for their lack of zones of control. Similarly, territorial
// units have their CV reduced by 1 for the penalty they suffer in combat when
// not stacked with a non-territorial land unit.
//
// There is a minimum combat value of 1 CV for a unit after adjustments, which
// keeps a 2-1 garrison and 1-4 divisional unit from becoming worthless.
utInfantry, utMilitia, utGarrison:
begin
LU := TLandUnit(U);
Result := LU.Combat + ((LU.Move - 4.0) * 0.5);

if LU.Small then Result := Result - 1.0
// Corps sized German SS units have a garrison value of 2.
else if LU.Country = GermanSS.ID then Result := Result + 1.0;
// Add bonus for elite units.
if LU.Elite then Result := Result + 2;
// Add bonus for winterized units.
if LU.SnowUnit then Result := Result + 2;

if Result < 1.0 then Result := 1.0;
end;

utWarlord:
begin
// Warlords can only move 6 hexes from their home city, so their value is
// reduced by 1.
Result := LU.Combat + ((LU.Move - 4.0) * 0.5) - 1;

end;

utTerritorial:
begin
// While territorial units suffer penalties when attacking and defending without
// the help of non-territorial units, they are capable of getting supply from
// cities in their home country and can move more freely in their home country.
Result := LU.Combat+ ((LU.Move - 4.0) * 0.5) - 1.0 ;

end;

utMountain:
begin
// Besides being tripled in mountain terrain, mountain units can also be air
// transported by ATR units and are 'SnowSet' units.
Result := LU.Combat + ((LU.Move - 4.0) * 0.5) + 3.0; // Mountain + 3.

else if LU.Elite then Result := Result + 2;

end;

utMotorized:
begin
Result := LU.Combat + ((LU.Move - 4.0) * 0.5) + 1; // Motorized + 1.

// Add bonus for winterized units (e.g., Finnish, Swedish, Norwegian, Russian).
end;

utMechanized:
begin
Result := LU.Combat + ((LU.Move - 4.0) * 0.5) + 2.0 ; // Mechanized + 2.

end;

utArmor:
begin
Result := LU.Combat + ((LU.Move - 4.0) * 0.5) + 3.0; // Armor + 3.

end;

utCavalry:
begin
Result := LU.Combat;
// Cavalry units have movement values of either 4 or 5. Being able to move 5
// means that they can enter adjacent swamp hexes without becoming disorganized.
if LU.Move = 5 then Result := Result + 2.0;

end;

utMarine:
begin
Result := (LU.Combat * 2) + ((LU.Move - 4.0) * 0.5); // Marine doubled.

end;

utParatroop:
begin
Result := (LU.Combat * 1.5) + ((LU.Move - 4.0) * 0.5); // Para * 1.5.

end;

utInfantryHQ:
begin
// HQs belonging to major powers can act as secondary supply sources for aligned
// minor countries and cooperating major powers. That makes them superior to
// HQs belonging to minor countries, including Nationalist and Communist Chinese
// HQs.
if UnitHomeCountryCommonwealth(LU).ClassType = TMajorCountry then
begin
Result := Result + (LU.Reorg * 2) + 10;
end
else
begin // Minor country HQs can trace supply to their home country cities.
Result := Result + (LU.Reorg * 2) + 6;
end;
end;

utArmorHQ:
begin
// HQs belonging to major powers can act as secondary supply sources for aligned
// minor countries and cooperating major powers. That makes them superior to
// HQs belonging to minor countries, including Nationalist and Communist Chinese
// HQs. All armor HQs belong to major powers.
Result := Result + (LU.Reorg * 3) + 10;
end;

utPartisanHQ:
begin
// Partisan HQs belong to the USSR and Yugoslavia. The former is a major power
// and the latter is a minor country. Partisan HQs are especially nice since
// they are always in supply and do not need oil to be reorganized.
if UnitHomeCountryCommonwealth(LU).ClassType = TMajorCountry then
begin
Result := Result + (LU.Reorg * 2) + 12;
end
else
begin
Result := Result + (LU.Reorg * 2) + 8;
end;
end;

Steve

Post #: 140
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 4/14/2021 11:45:05 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

April 14, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
No new Hot Patches last month. The beta testers didn’t get any new versions either. Mostly I spent March (and half of April) going over the code for calculating supply paths. Some of my time I spent on overland supply, but for the majority, I was deep in the code for overseas supply. All told, the number of lines of code making supply work in MWIF is 20,000+.

A lot of nested loops are necessary to check for each major power and minor country through all the sea areas. There are over 5500 ports on the map ,which have the potential of connecting sea areas to rail lines. The program needs to look into all of them too.

Because World in Flames rules for supply include several important optional rules, especially when coupled with the rules on cooperating major powers and states of war between major powers on opposite sides, programming all the requisite pieces is very aggravating. In the end, it isn’t as simple as just finding a path from one hex to another. Each hex and sea area along the way has to be checked to make sure supply can flow through it. And those checks are executed repeatedly to include every country with units on the map.

Bugs
All three of my tasks lists are out-of-date. They were in pretty good shape as of the end of March. But that was 2 weeks ago. Those tasks lists are: (1) bug reports from Tech Support (and other threads in the MWIF forum), (2) problems reported by the beta testers, and (3) the automated emailed bug reports (Mad Except errors).

My estimate is that supply works correctly 99.9% of the time. Which means that when I go through the code trying to fix a bug, that percentage of the code is correct. The trick is to ‘see’ the lines that are imperfect in the midst of all the correct code. To accomplish that I add hundreds of debug statements and then step through the code line by line until I find something that yields an incorrect result.

Here are the 4 corrections I have made over the past 4 weeks:

1. Fixed a bug in tracing a Basic supply path greater that 1 hex from a port to a primary supply source. This was causing some overseas units to be out of supply which needed to find primary supply 2 or 3 hexes inland from a port.

2. Fixed a problem with the Axis propagating overseas supply through Gibraltar (when it is Axis controlled).

3. Fixed a problem with the form that displays Supply Sources and Routes. It had not been showing the capitals of conquered minor countries which trace supply to a major power that cooperates with the conquering major power.

4. Fixed a problem with tracing overseas supply through the Eastern Med for Italy when the conquered Greek city of Athens must be used as a secondary supply source.

Right now I am trying to figure out why units in Damascus, Syria (controlled by the Free French) are unable to trace supply to Dakar, Senegal (the capital of the new home country for France). Once again, the overseas supply links are the problem. The are no Allied convoys in the Med and the Commonwealth doesn’t cooperate with France, so the supply path has to go around southern Africa, using Commonwealth convoys - which is legal. I’m close to solving this, ... that seems to be my continual state with all of these supply bugs.

I still need to get the optional rule Flying Bombs working. My list for the remaining missing optional rules is unchanged from last month.

6. Guards Banner Armies Rules as Coded 22.4.14
7. Naval Supply Units Rules as Coded 22.4.13
9. Hitler’s War Rules as Coded 13.3.2
10. Partisan HQs Rules as Coded 22.4.16
11. Recruitment Limits Rules as Coded 4.2
12. Rough Seas Rules as Coded 22.4.6

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new on the AI Opponent in March. I expect to get back to this in April - which is already half gone.

Steve

Post #: 141
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 5/9/2021 4:55:26 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

May 8, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
No new Hot Patches last month. The beta testers got 4 new versions. Continuing my focus on supply, most of the code changes this past month were to fix problems where supply calculations were taking too long. I expect to get a new hot patch out mid-May.

Bugs
All three of my tasks lists remain out-of-date. None of them is close to being current. Which, obviously, is what I need to work on tomorrow.

To figure out the problems in supply, I added dozens of timing snapshots. There are 23 steps to calculate supply for all the units on the map. First is identifying all the primary supply sources for all the countries. Then the possible secondary sources are tested to see if they can trace paths to a primary. That requires several steps since it is best if a secondary can trace to a primary controlled by the same major power. Overland and overseas are another place where the work has to be done twice. Cooperating major powers, aligned minor countries, HQs functioning as primary supply sources for the impulse and turn, all add to the complexity.

Using the timing data, I am able to determine which major powers are taking a long time to find supply paths. Next I insert more fine tuned timing snapshots to see if the problem is with individual secondary supply sources, and if overseas routes are the guilty parties. None of this is easy. I have detailed notes for a lot of specific bug reports. In a few instances, fixing one bug solves one or two others. But that is rare.

By now I have cleared roughly 2/3rds of the supply bugs on my master task list. In that group several dated back to 2016. Those that remain I view as very low priority. It is time to go back to working on other stuff.

Here are 5 corrections I made over the past 3 weeks:

1. Fixed a problem with supply calculations taking too long. For incompletely conquered France, with a new home country in, say, Western Africa, the program should not attempt to find supply back to its new capital from ports in the USSR or Scandinavia. Indeed, no ports in Europe should be investigated unless the new capital is in Syria, Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, or Yugoslavia.

2. Fixed another problem with supply calculations taking too long. The program was searching for a path from ports in Scandinavia, the Balkans, Greece and Turkey to a Commonwealth primary supply source. No port in those countries is ever going to be able to reach a city in India (primary supply for the Commonwealth), so the searches shouldn’t even be attempted.

3. Fixed a problem with tracing basic path supply overseas to Baku in the Caspian Sea.

4. Fixed an obscure supply bug where Mao was unable to trace supply to a Chinese city controlled by Communist China once Japan was conquered and China became neutral.

5. Fixed a problem with finding primary supply cities for Nationalist China when Japan has been conquered and China is neutral.

I still need to get the optional rule Flying Bombs working. My list for the remaining missing optional rules is unchanged from 2 months ago.

1. USSR Japan Compulsory Peace Rules as Coded 13.7.3
3. Naval Supply Units Rules as Coded 22.4.13
4. Limited Aircraft Interception Rules as Coded 14.2.1
5. Hitler’s War Rules as Coded 13.3.2
6. Partisan HQs Rules as Coded 22.4.16
7. Recruitment Limits Rules as Coded 4.2
8. Rough Seas Rules as Coded 22.4.6

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new on the AI Opponent in April. I have to get back to working on this in the rest of May.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 5/9/2021 4:58:27 AM >

Steve

Post #: 142
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 6/10/2021 3:10:04 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

June 8, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
No new Hot Patches last month. The beta testers got 3 new versions to check out. I just now uploaded another new version for the beta testers. Once they have had a week or so to look it over, I’ll post it as a Hot Patch for customers.

The slowdown in releasing new versions is due to me spending more time on developing the AI Opponent. That is likely to continue to be the case for the rest of this year. Not that bugs and other stuff will be completely ignored, but the only way for me to make progress on the AIO is to give it higher priority, week after week.

Bugs
I brought 2 of my 3 task lists up-to-date: bug reports by the beta testers and those posted in Tech Support. The third task list, emailed bug reports from customers, remains a couple of months out-of-date. Actual fixes for reported bugs were few in May. A couple odd items reported in Tech Support, and a few that I ran into playing NetPlay. None of these was very dramatic. All of them were rare occurrences and most of them could simply be ignored by clicking on the Continue button in the Mad Except bug report form.

I am playing MWIF 20+ hours a week against my “worthy opponent”, as I have been doing since the pandemic started back in the spring of last year. In our current game, we are up to Jul/Aug of 1944. Interestingly, the count for the Game Record Log (GRL) in our current game is over 19 million. Each time a player moves a unit, or makes some other decision in a NetPlay game, the program generates another GRL, which it sends to the other computer. There are also a lot of GRLs generated by the program doing internal stuff. For instance, at the start of a new year, the program moves new units into the Force Pools for the major powers to build. Then there are the GRLs for each phase of the game (60+), for each subphase of naval combat (25+), each subphase of land combat resolution, air-to-air combat, etc.

My point here is that the program has successfully generated over 19 million GRLs in our current game and sent them over the internet. This is the primary reason I feel confident in stating that the NetPlay code is now solid. Of course a few glitches occur from time to time, but those can easily be corrected by going back and restoring a recently saved game. More often we do that because one of us forgot to do something: “Argh, I meant to attack the partisan unit too!”.

I fixed a bug with setting up City Based Volunteers when their arrival hex is fully stacked. They now can be placed in an adjacent hex, if playing with the optional rule Off City Reinforcements. If not using that optional rule, they are moved to arrive next turn.

AI Opponent (AIO)
I split the monolithic LAIO (Language for the Artifical Intelligence Opponent) setup script for the USSR for Barbarossa into 3 parts: for setting up air and land units and later for placing the reserve units on the map. The naval unit setups are fixed in Leningrad and Sevastopol. Having the variable scripts in 3 small pieces makes them easier to manage. Edits no longer require searching through the entire mass of LAIO code.

Another task accomplished was using the Combat Value code I wrote earlier this year to select which of the setup air units are placed on the map and which go into the Reserve Pool (or back into the Force Pool when not playing with the optional rule Pilots). The air units with the highest CV are selected for placement on the map.

Below is the current script for setting up the USSR Barbarossa air units. The screenshot is for USSRAir1 - note that the specific air units will vary depending on the randomness of the units drawn for setup.

// Use a random number to choose air units' deployment.
RandomNum = GetRandomNumber(1, 100)
IF RandomNum < 65 THEN
Setup=USSRAir1
ELSE IF RandomNum < 75 THEN
Setup=USSRAir2
ELSE IF RandomNum < 85 THEN
Setup=USSRAir3
ELSE IF RandomNum < 95 THEN
Setup=USSRAir4
ELSE Setup=USSRAir5
// *********************************************************************************
// Setups for USSR air units.
// 'F2 4/4', 'L2 1/1', 'L3 3/1', 'L4 1/1'
// F2, choose 4 out of 8; L2, choose 1 out of 2; L3, choose 3 out of 4; L4, choose 1 out of 2.
// USSR has 9 pilots: 4 FTR2, Ranges 3, 4, and 5; Air2Air 3, 4, 5
// 1 TAC2, Ranges of 3 and 5; Tac 2, 3, 2Arm
// 3 TAC3, Ranges of 5, 7, plus 5 and 11 extended; Tac 2, 3, 4
// 1 TAC4 Ranges of 11 and 17; Tac 3, 4
// It is possible to assign 2 units to a city.
// *********************************************************************************
[Setup USSRAir1]
1 FTR2, (44,53) // W of Vitebsk
1 FTR2, (52, 58) // E of Kiev
1 FTR2, (46, 54) // SS of Vitebsk
1 FTR2, (40,52) // NE of Pskov
1 TAC2, (39, 52) // SS of Leningrad
1 TAC3, (43, 54) // NE of Vitebsk
1 TAC3, (50, 57) // NN of Kiev
1 TAC3, (47, 54) // EEE of Minsk
1 TAC4, (49, 57) // SE of Gomel
[Setup USSRAir2]
1 FTR2, (40,52) // NE of Pskov
1 FTR2, (55, 59) // Dnepropetrovsk
1 TAC2, (55, 61) // Stalino
1 TAC3, (51, 55) // WNW of Kiev
1 TAC3, (39, 52) // SS of Leningrad
1 TAC4, (46, 58) // ESE of Smolensk
[Setup USSRAir3]
1 FTR2, (41,53) // EE of Pskov
1 FTR2, (50, 57) // NN of Kiev
1 TAC2, (44, 56) // NW of Smolensk
1 TAC4, (53, 62) // E of Kharkov
[Setup USSRAir4]
1 FTR2, (41,53) // EE of Pskov
1 TAC2, (39, 52) // SS of Leningrad
1 TAC3, (54, 59) // NW of Dnepropetrovsk
1 TAC4, (49, 57) // SE of Gomel
[Setup USSRAir5]
1 FTR2, (50, 57) // NN of Kiev
1 TAC2, (44, 56) // NW of Smolensk
1 TAC3, (39, 52) // SS of Leningrad
1 TAC3, (55, 59) // Dnepropetrovsk
1 TAC4, (46, 58) // ESE of Smolensk

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 143
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 7/9/2021 12:02:16 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

July 7, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases

No new Hot Patches last month. The beta testers got 3 new versions to test. I need to check in on things with the beta tester posts and the Tech Support posts. Once I give those a once over, I’ll put together a new hot patch - but don’t expect anything dramatic.

Most of my time is spent on the AI Opponent code internals - see below.

Bugs
Nothing new in June.

Nothing new in June.

AI Opponent (AIO)
If the AIO wants to move a unit to a city, it first has to define a variable in the script for city type. It does that with the line in script: CitTyp: TCityTypes. When the parser reads this line, it records CitTyp as an enumerated variable of the type ‘etCityTypes’. The script can then store the city type of a hex in that variable. To determine whether the hex contains a city, CitTyp can be tested against the 4 possible MWIF city types: (cyNone, cyCity, cyMinorCapital, cyMajorCapital).

For example, suppose the AIO wants to move a Russian unit in the Ukraine out of a clear hex and east, into a city hex where it cannot be overrun - and where it will always be in supply. The program examines each hex that the unit can reach in the current impulse, taking into account weather, terrain, and enemy zones of control. It also has to tentatively consider hexes that cannot presently be entered because that would cause overstacking. Then the program can set CitTyp equal to the city type of the potential destination hex. If CitType equals cyCity, cyMinorCapital, or cyMajorCapital, then the program can record the potential destination as having a city. Human players do this with a glance at the map. But the AIO is similar to a blind person playing the game. It has to laboriously check hexes one by one.

The full list of enumerated types for LAIO is:
(etTerrainTypes, etHexsideTerrainTypes, etCityTypes, etPortTypes, etSingleFactoryTypes, etFactoryTypes, etWeatherZones, etWeatherTypes, etSeaWeatherTypes, etSides, etUnitType, etSetupAirUnitType, etForcePool, etGearingType, etSupplyTypes, etTurn, etPhase, etReinforceSubPhase, etDigression, etAirSubPhase, etDOWSubPhase, etNavalCombatSubPhase, etLandCombatResSubPhase, etVichySubPhase, etQuality, etInitBonus).

Besides enumerated types, LAIO also supports the usual integer and real variables. But there are numerous other MWIF specific variable types available to the author of a LAIO script; for example, hexes, units, unit stacks, land regions, theaters of operation, etc.

Looking at the script I posted last month, you can see references to the enumerated list etSetupAirUnitType for the air units being placed on the map.

[Setup USSRAir1]
FTR2, (44,53) // W of Vitebsk
FTR2, (52, 58) // E of Kiev
FTR2, (46, 54) // SS of Vitebsk
FTR2, (40,52) // NE of Pskov
TAC2, (39, 52) // SS of Leningrad
TAC3, (43, 54) // NE of Vitebsk
TAC3, (50, 57) // NN of Kiev
TAC3, (47, 54) // EEE of Minsk
TAC4, (49, 57) // SE of Gomel

I spend my time on the AIO code switching between a broad overview of the code (e.g., all enumerated types) and specific instances I need to get working for the USSR Air Unit Setup script (e.g., FTR2). Each of the enumerated lists has over a hundred lines of code to process a variable.

Steve

Post #: 144
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 8/6/2021 11:07:05 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

August 6, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
I took 3 weeks off in July. It had been over two years since my last vacation. Starting in August I got back in harness.

Bugs
I fixed a half dozen bugs that were reported in the Tech Support forum.

Nothing new in July.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in July.

Steve

Post #: 145
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 9/10/2021 10:43:37 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

September 10, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
Release version 04 02 03 02 was posted as a Hot Patch in August. I’m working on the next Hot Patch (version 04 02 03 04) with the expectation of making it available in mid-September. First it needs to undergo some testing by the beta testers.

If all goes well, we hope to make it available as a public beta, with the goal of replacing the current official update version of the program in mid-October.

Bugs
I fixed a various dozen bugs that were reported in the Tech Support forum.

Nothing new in August. Although some of the bug fixes were for optional rules that were recently added.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Nothing new in August, other than my rereading some of the code so I can resume work on the AI Opponent parser of the setup scripts for the USSR in Barbarossa.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 9/10/2021 10:44:45 PM >

Steve

Post #: 146
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 10/5/2021 11:10:40 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

October 5, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
Release version 04 03 00 00 was posted as a Hot Patch in early October. Unless problems are reported for this version, we will make it available as a public beta, with the goal of replacing the current official update version of the program in late October.

Bugs
I fixed a dozen various bugs that were reported in the Tech Support forum. The most important was correcting the number of movement points remaining available to a group of naval units after an interception attempt by enemy units.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Most of my time on the AIO was spent reducing my tome on coding the AI Opponent from 77 pages down to 44 pages. The smaller file is for coding the AIO decisions for the USSR in the Barbarossa scenario. Below is a segment of that which describes the AI Opponent’s view of the scenario’s geography with a breakdown of the AIO “decision makers” for each geographic area.

I decided to not display the attached graphic of the map in the forum since it is so large. However, you can download the JPG file and examine it at your leisure.

==============================================================

III. Geographic BreakDown
For both the USSR and Germany there are 3 decision makers at the highest level: Joints Chiefs of Staff (JCS), Air Force General Staff (AFGS), and Army General Staff (AGS). Both have an Air Marshal (AM) and a Field Marshal (FM), as well as an Air Fleet Commander (AFC) and an Army Group Commander (AGC) for each AO. The AFC makes strategic bombing decisions. Other operations for air units are under the control of the AGC. Each Land Region (LR) is under the control of a Commanding General (CG) for each major power.

3.1 Theaters of Operations
There is one primary Theater of Operations in Barbarossa with a small portion of a second.
• Eastern Europe (EE, #5)
• Western Europe (WE #3)

3.2 Areas of Operations (x) => not in USSR Barbarossa
The Barbarossa scenario uses only one Area of Operations (Greater Germany AO #22) in Western Europe and within that AO just two land regions (Northern Germany LR #51 and Austria/Czechoslovakia LR #53). The first of these land regions includes East Prussia and the Danzig corridor through Poland, connecting East Prussia to the rest of Germany. The second land region contains the Czechoslovakian hexes that abut Eastern Poland.

Within the Eastern Europe TO there are 9 Areas of Operations - only 7 are used in Barbarossa. The land regions (LRs) for these AOs are given below:
• Sweden (#34) (x)
• Finland/Northern Russia (#35) with land regions:
Northern Finland/Norway (#88)
Southern Finland (89#)
Murmansk (#90)
Archangel (x)
DNE (Do Not Enter) Arctic (x)
• Poland/Baltic (#36) with land regions:
Estonia, with north eastern Latvia (#93)
Lithuania, with south western Latvia (#94)
Western Poland (#95)
Eastern Poland (#96)
• Balkans (#37) with land regions:
Hungary (#97)
Rumania (99#)
Yugoslavia (x)
Bulgaria (x)
• Central Western USSR (#38) with land regions:
Leningrad (#101)
Vitebsk (#102)
Smolensk (#103)
• Southwestern USSR (#39) with land regions:
Kiev (#104)
Kharkov (#105)
Crimea (#106)
• Central European USSR (#40) with land regions:
Vologda (#107)
Moscow (#108)
Voronezh (#109)
• Southeastern European USSR (#41) with land regions:
Rostov (#110)
Stalingrad (#111)
Caucasus (#112)
• Turkey (#42) (x)

3.3 Sea Area Groups (SAGs) (x)

3.4 Land Regions
Lands regions dominate game play decisions and most tactical decision making.

3.5 Sea Areas (x)

See the attached map graphic for a break down of individual hexes in each land region.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 147
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 11/15/2021 10:53:02 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

November 14, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

This is the latest I’ve ever been with a monthly status report - sorry. I had to buy a new car in the beginning of the month which wasn’t easy to do.

Product Releases
Release version 04.03.01.00 was posted as a Hot Patch in mid November. That version fixes some problems were reported in October’s hot patch (version 04.03.00.00). Hopefully we can make it available as a public beta later in November with the goal of replacing the current official update version before December.

Bugs
Aside from the couple of bugs fixed for newly created problems with 04.03.00.00, I didn’t work on other bugs in October. The troubles with the NEI oil to Japan was one of the two major bugs that got fixed.

Adding a new section of code expressly for sending NEI oil resources to Japan (and the Commonwealth) took a lot of time. That decision was made after me fumbling around trying to patch the existing code where satisfying all the trade agreements was being done in one large complex mess of code. The NEI oil trade agreements are now processed in a manner similar to the processing of the US to Japan trade agreement. That is, they are performed before and separate from assigning resources to fulfill other trade agreements.

Nothing new in October.

AI Opponent (AIO)
Continuing development of the AI Opponent for playing the USSR in the Barbarossa scenario, I worked on the branching logic. At every point in the sequence of play where the program asks a player to made a decision, I have to add new code to branch to AI Opponent routines if the decision maker is the AIO. There are over 100 of these points in the sequence of play. Most of them involve presenting a form to the player/decision maker, and the rest are where the player is moving units around on the map.

Those involving forms are easiest to find, since I just look for the places in the code where a form is displayed - if it also requires the player to make a choice. When the decision maker is the AIO, the form is not displayed. Instead the code branches to an AI decision maker routine to set the requisite variable values comparable to what a human player accomplishes by selecting buttons, etc.

So far I have inserted branching logic in 80+ places in the code for the AIO making decisions. These code changes have no effect on the other modes of play (e.g., Solitaire, NetPlay) since in all cases the branching logic first checks for the AIGame variable being True. The couple dozen remaining places where I need to insert code are for the subphases of land combat and air-to-air combat, plus all the digression decisions. I should be able to finish that task next week.

Of course, once all the branching logic has been coded, then I need to add code for the AIO to actually make reasonable decisions. I’ve done a few of those (e.g., the USSR always chooses a Land action in Barbarossa). But there are over a 100 that need to be finished. Note that for the AIO playing the USSR in Barbarossa, there are never any decisions involving naval units. The AIO is simply going to ignore the naval units in that scenario.

Steve

Post #: 148
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 12/17/2021 2:57:47 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

December 16, 2021 Status Report for Matrix Games’ MWIF Forum

Product Releases
Release version 04.04.00.00 was posted as a Hot Patch in late November. That version was followed by
Hot Patch 04.04.00.01 in early December. A public beta (version 04.04.01.00) will be made available some time before Christmas.

This is a short monthly report (late as usual). However, I have written a four page year end summary which I will post January 1st 2022.

Bugs
Aside from the couple of minor items, I didn’t work on bugs in November. Instead I focused on the AI Opponent code.

Nothing new in November.

AI Opponent (AIO)
I created a detailed project plan, with schedule, for completing the AI Opponent playing the USSR in the Barbarossa scenario. In November the actual code changes continued to be on the branching logic. By early December, I finished inserting all the branching logic.

Then I moved on to writing the decision making logic for “hard coded” decisions. These include: going first (always), asking for a reroll (always), and port attack decisions. Once I finish the hard coded decisions (4 remain to be done) and what to do with surprise points (3 remain to be done), I’ll return to writing the code for the parser so scripts written in LAIO (Language for the AI Opponent) can be processed.

Steve

Post #: 149
RE: MWIF Monthly Reports - 12/31/2021 7:11:41 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Note that there are two attachments. One is in this post and the second is on the next post.

World in Flames Progress in 2021

Product Releases

In 2021, product development was exclusively focused on making changes to the World in Flames executable code. Auxiliary tasks, involving data files and documentation, were completed over a decade ago. All changes to data and text in 2021 were cosmetic (e.g., spelling corrections). Presently the World in Flames source code is more than 508,000 lines, not including the 4 auxiliary libraries.

Code changes go through a 5 step sequence (in order):
1. Alpha testing (done by the programmer).
2. Beta testing done by the beta testers.
3. Hot patches, posted to the World in Flames forum. These are usually just a replacement of the executable (MWIF.exe).
4. Public betas, made available in the Slitherine/Matrix Games World in Flames members site. A public beta contains the complete World in Flames product and is available as a download for customers.
5. Master updates, accessible by all owners of the game using the Update button on the opening World in Flames screen. Each master update contains the complete World in Flames product and is what a customer receives when he purchases the game as a digital download file. It’s also what the customer receives on the Player Manuals insert disk when he purchases a physical copy of the game.

Master Updates for Customers
No master updates were created in 2021. Release version 4.4.1.0 is expected to be a new master update in January 2022.

Public Betas for World in Flames Members
Version 4.4.0.0 in early December.

Hot Patches for World in Flames Forum Members
Five new Hot Patches were posted to the World in Flames forum: versions 4.2.2.0, 4.2.3.2, 4.3.0.0, 4.3.1.0, and 4.4.1.0.

Beta Testers Private FTP Site
Forty-two new versions were uploaded to the beta tester FTP site for beta testing:
4.2.1.: 7, 8 and 9
4.2.2.: 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/9/10/11/12/13
4.2.3.: 0/1/3/5/7
4.3.0.: 1/3/5/7/9
4.3.1.: 1/3/5/7
4.4.0.: 1/3

As indicated by the above counts, roughly 4 new versions were made available to the beta testers/customers each month. There is a time lag of a week or two following a version being made available to the beta testers, before a comparable version is posted as a hot patch for the customers. That allows the beta testers to put the new version through its paces, checking to see that changes perform as expected. Public betas receive even more testing. While in past years we were posting two or three new public betas per year, in 2021 the work on the AI Opponent code reduced the time available for adding optional rules and investigating bugs.

Writing Code

Code changes can be broadly broken into four activities:
1 Adding the half map scenarios and optional rules.
2 NetPlay mode of play.
3 Fixing reported bugs.
4 AI Opponent mode of play.

Half Map Scenarios

World in Flames contains 11 scenarios. 9 of those were included in the original release of the product - November 2013. The 2 missing scenarios are the half map scenarios. While most of the work to complete these has been done, the rules involving the Transfer Pool, where naval units belonging to both sides are “off map” and capable of engaging in combat there, present major coding difficulties. Crucial rule systems (for example, the sequence of play for resolving a naval combat) need to be extensively revised before these scenarios will be playable.

Missing Optional Rules

There are 81 optional rules listed for MWIF. At the beginning of 2021, 57 of those had been coded. During 2021, 5 more optional rules were added to the game:
V-weapons,
A Bombs,
City Based Volunteers
Isolated Reorganization Limits
Kamikazes

Work on adding more optional rules was halted in the spring of 2021, to focus on the AI Opponent mode of play. Nine optional rules currently remain on the list to be coded, with the priorities shown below based on feedback from customers and beta testers:
1. Flying Bombs
2. USSR Japan Compulsory Peace
3. Guards Banner Armies
4. Naval Supply Units
5. Limited Aircraft Interception
6. Hitler’s War
7. Partisan HQs
8. Recruitment Limits
9. Rough Seas

Three other optional rules may be worth the effort to code, but it isn’t clear that players would ever use them (based on feedback from existing customers):
• Ukraine - very expensive for a player to create with marginal benefit.
• Japanese Command Conflict - makes Japanese production very difficult.
• Convoys In Flames - numerous details including new unit types and additional naval combat subphases need to be added..

The last seven optional rules have been set aside for various reasons:
• Frogmen - negligible effect on game play.
• Surprised ZOCs - too dramatic an effect on game play.
• Bounce Combat - too difficult to code, especially for NetPlay.
• Enroute Interception - too difficult to code.
• Oil Tankers - would make routing resources even more difficult.
• Naval Offensive Chit - too difficult to code (additional die rerolls), especially for NetPlay.
• Intelligence - too difficult (almost impossible) to code.

As an example of how a new optional rule gets added, Isolated Reorganization Limits at first generated extremely long calculation times (minutes) for determining supply. Supply needs to be frequently recalculated during land movement. For instance, when Germany invades the USSR, changes in hex control and supply lines force supply to be recalculated.

The time to recalculate supply has to be kept to under 5 seconds in the worst cases and to less that a tenth of a second for normal land movement. To achieve those goals, the distance to a supply source for isolated units was changed from unlimited to a maximum path of 10 hexes. This eliminated repetitious, long, and useless search times through the width and breadth of the USSR and Africa.

NetPlay

I have been playing MWIF using NetPlay for the past 5 years. On average, I play between 15 and 20 hours a week. This constitutes ‘alpha’ testing. As bugs are discovered, I work on fixing them. My 6 opponents have been from around the world: Australia, the United States, Canada, and Spain.

NetPlay, with a Skype connection between the two players, enables the game to be played as if the players were in the same room and playing over the board. Actually it is much better than playing over the board. Here are some examples of how MWIF is easier to play than playing over the board:
1. MWIF enforces the rules, avoiding tedious discussions about what is and what isn’t permitted.
2. MWIF automatically advances the game correctly through the sequence of play.
3. MWIF performs all calculations for all types of combat.
4. MWIF determines supply for all units.
5. MWIF identifies and displays a selectable list of air units that can move in each phase/subhase of air missions.
6. MWIF identifies and displays a selectable list of HQs, air units, and naval units that can reorganize units during the final reorganization phase.
7. MWIF finds all the disorganized units that need oil to be reorganized and corresponding available sources of oil during the use oil phase..

Most recently I have been playing against an old friend in Philadelphia - in mid-October we started our seventh NetPlay game. In October this year, we finished our sixth NetPlay game - all 36 turns of Global War - which took us just under 4 months real time. That game generated 27,679,321 Game Record Logs (GRLs). A GRL is generated each time a player makes a decision (e.g., moves a unit). These are sent over the internet from one player’s computer to the other player’s computer, using the Slitherine/Matrix Games Private NetPlay Server. The GRLs synchronize the two computers’ game data, so the game state displayed to both players is identical.

My point here is that in our last game, MWIF successfully generated, sent, and received over 27 million GRLs over the internet. I feel confident in stating that the NetPlay code is now solid.

The NetPlay mode of play is limited to two players. But customers have devised ways to have more than 2 players play MWIF remotely, typically having 4 players involved. They accomplish this by using the MWIF solitaire mode of play and sending saved game files back and forth to all the players. When quick decisions have to be made, they use various internet communication methods.

The most popular method for quick replies appears to be the Slitherine/Matrix forum. The person currently ‘in charge’ of the game makes the decisions and moves units for his side, consulting his allies. If a decision is needed by the other side (“Are you intercepting the moving naval units?”), he posts a query to the forum and receives an instant reply, which he implements on the copy of the game he is running. The person “in charge” is the team leader for the phasing side. When the phasing side changes, so does the person “in charge”. Customers have been using this system for over 6 years with some of the opposing groups on their fourth (or more) game.

Reported Bugs

There are three sources of reported bugs: (1) the World in Flames forum (mostly reported in the Tech Support sub-forum), (2) beta testers, and (3) emailed bug reports (Mad Except errors). The last are generated automatically by the World in Flames program when the Windows operating system generates a program exception. Those bug reports are sent to Slitherine/Matrix Games, which forwards them to me.

Bug reports are mostly spurious. Only about 20% are actually reports of the program behaving badly. The others are players not understanding the rules or running old versions of the code and encountering bugs that have been fixed years ago. Simply explaining the MWIF rules ‘solves’ the former difficulties, and having the player update their version of the program solves the latter.

For fixing ‘real’ bugs, an average of a half dozen or so code changes are made each month. Of those bugs, many were caused by recent changes to code, such as by adding optional rules. Then there are the situations which occur very rarely. Some of those are so rare, they are simply ignored. But most are dealt with by modifying the code. Two of the more bothersome bugs that were fixed in 2021, and which took a lot of programming effort, were in the search routines: (1) determining which units are in supply, and (2) sending NEI oil resources as part of a trade agreement. In both cases the problem was the amount of time it took the program to perform the calculations - in unusual circumstance. These are discussed below.

Supply

My estimate is that supply works correctly 99.99% of the time, which means that when I go through the code trying to fix a supply bug, 99.99% of the code is correct. The trick is to ‘see’ the lines that are imperfect in the midst of all the correct code. To accomplish that I add hundreds of debug statements and then step through the code line by line until I find something that yields an incorrect result. All told, there are 20,000+ lines of code for calculating supply in MWIF.

To figure out problems in supply, I added dozens of timing snapshots. There are 23 steps to calculate supply for all the units on the map. First is identifying the primary supply sources for each country. Then the possible secondary sources are tested to see which ones can trace a path to a primary. That requires several steps since it’s best if a secondary can trace to a primary controlled by the same major power. Overland and overseas paths require the work to be done twice. Cooperating major powers, aligned minor countries, HQs functioning as primary supply sources for the impulse and turn, all add to the complexity.

Using the timing data, I was able to identify which major powers were taking a long time to find supply paths. Next I inserted more finely tuned timing snapshots to see if the problem was with individual secondary supply sources, and if overseas routes were the guilty parties. In a few instances, fixing one bug solved others. But that was unusual. My last set of fixes for supply were quite successful in reducing the time required to recalculate supply even under the most adverse circumstances.

NEI Trade Agreements

Satisfying trade agreements necessitates searching the map for available resources and then finding paths to possible destinations. If an overland path can be found, it is found quickly. Overseas path are more complex since there can be multiple demands on convoy pipelines to satisfy different trade agreements. Also limiting what resource can go to which major power and destination are special rules. The US Entry Options impose a dozen or so such restrictions. As US Entry options are chosen, resources and paths that were viable in a previous turn can become invalid - or vice-versa.

It wasn’t easy to have the program correctly resolve dozens of trade agreements, while satisfying the rules and letting players prioritize what goes where and control what happens to the resource when it arrives at its destination (e.g., save an oil point or use it in production). The NEI oil resources were particularly hard to get correct. This year I added a new section of code expressly for sending NEI oil resources to Japan (and the Commonwealth). That decision was made after numerous attempts trying to patch the existing code where satisfying all trade agreements was being done in a single mass of code.

The NEI oil trade agreements are now processed in a manner similar to the processing of the US to Japan trade agreement. That is, they are performed before and separate from assigning resources to fulfill other trade agreements. A side benefit of this separation was that satisfying the remaining trade agreements was simplified.

AI Opponent (AIO)

AI Opponent Design

Back in 2013 I assembled all my ideas for the AI Opponent design into a single tome. After reviewing it this year I brought it up-to-date, made it internally consistent (e.g., names and cross-references), and reduced it to 77 pages. For the AI Opponent playing the USSR in Barbarossa, I stripped away unnecessary sections and got it down to 44 pages. That reduction was possible since the USSR makes no declarations of war, alignments of minor countries, or cooperative decisions with other major powers. Also eliminated were all the decisions about naval operations. Basically, the AI Opponent for the USSR in Barbarossa ignores all naval units.

The design for the AIO consists of several parts:
1. Map - Geographic Breakdown
2. Decision makers’ task lists
3. Predefined decisions
4. Language for the AI Opponent (LAIO) scripts

Map - Geographic Breakdown

From the AIO’s point of view, the game map is broken down into Theaters of Operations, which are comprised of Sea Area Groups and Areas of Operation. Each Sea Area Group contains a set of specific sea areas. Each Area of Operation is broken down into Land Regions, which contain individual land hexes.

Thus, every all-sea hex on the map is in a sea area, which is in a sea area group, which is in a theater of operations. Similarly, every land hex on the map is in a land region, which is in an area of operations, which is in a theater of operations. Lands regions dominate AIO decision making, especially tactical decisions.

Theaters of Operations (TO)

There is one primary Theater of Operations in Barbarossa with a small portion of a second.
• Eastern Europe
• Western Europe

Sea Area Groups (SAG)

The USSR in Barbarossa does not need to reference sea area groups or sea areas.

Areas of Operations (AO)

The Barbarossa scenario uses one Area of Operations in Western Europe (Greater Germany) and within that AO just two land regions (Northern Germany and Austria/Czechoslovakia). Northern Germany includes East Prussia and the Danzig corridor through Poland, connecting East Prussia to the rest of Germany. Austria/Czechoslovakia contains the Czechoslovakian hexes that abut Eastern Poland. For the most part, the Western Europe TO is of minimal concern to the USSR.

Within the Eastern Europe TO there are 7 Areas of Operations used in Barbarossa. The land regions for these AOs are given below:
• AO Finland/Northern Russia with land regions:
Northern Finland/Norway
Southern Finland
Murmansk
• AO Poland/Baltic with land regions:
Estonia, with north eastern Latvia
Lithuania, with south western Latvia
Western Poland
Eastern Poland
• AO Balkans with land regions:
Hungary
Rumania
• AO Central Western USSR with land regions:
Leningrad
Vitebsk
Smolensk
• AO Southwestern USSR with land regions:
Kiev
Kharkov
Crimea
• AO Central European USSR with land regions:
Vologda
Moscow
Voronezh
• AO Southeastern European USSR with land regions:
Rostov
Stalingrad
Caucasus

See the attached map graphic for a break down of individual hexes in each land region. For the World in Flames European map, the data identifying which land hex belongs to which land region and the hierarchy of the TOs, AOs, SAGs, and LRs was completed over 4 years ago.

Decision Makers

Rather than use a single monolithic algorithm, the design for AIO splits decision making tasks into groups, by branch of service and geography. To facilitate thinking and analysis, the groups are labeled as Decision Makers (DMs). Each DM has an assigned list of decisions for which it is responsible. In essence, a DM is equivalent to a list of decisions.

The AIO has 6 global Decision Makers for each major power, and 11 other decision makers for TOs, AOs, SAGs, and LRs. Conceptually these are all the same. Each DM has a jurisdiction either by role and/or geography, a superior to whom they report (except for the Grand Strategist), and subordinates to whom they give assignments/ At the lowest level are combat units.

DMs assess the current game position within their defined area of control and report that assessment to their superior. Accumulated information is sent from the bottom of the hierarchy to the top. Then ‘assignments’ are sent from the top to the bottom. When making complex decisions, DMs run through a set of ‘rules’ to evaluate the risk and reward for each decision choice.

The highest level decision makers are:
• Grand Strategist
• Commander in Chief [not needed in Barbarossa]
• Foreign Liaison [not needed in Barbarossa]
• Manufacturing Council
• Joint Chiefs of Staff
• Special Operations (e.g., paradrops).

The hierarchy for the Army, with designated geographic responsibility is:
1. Army General Staff - global, reports to the JCS
2. Field Marshal - TO
3. Army Group Commander - AO
4. Commanding General - LR

The hierarchy for the Navy, with designated geographic responsibility is:
1. Admiralty - global, reports to the JCS
2. Rear Admiral - TO
3. Sea Area Commander - SAG
4. Fleet Admiral - SA

The hierarchy for the Air Force, with designated geographic responsibility is:
1. Air Force General Staff - global, reports to the JCS
2. Air Marshal - TO
3. Air Fleet Commander - AO

Within the code, the AIO logic branches to the appropriate decision maker for each decision. For example, when deciding which air unit in an air-to-air combat suffers an adverse result, the Air Fleet Commander decides (AFC decision #4). That’s because his frame of reference is the AO and he wants to optimize the next round of the air-to-air combat. If the result is a forced abort for a friendly air unit, then the Air Marshal (AM decision #2) decides where the air unit returns to base, since he might want to redeploy the air unit elsewhere in the TO, possibly outside the AFC’s AO. The attached spreadsheet identifies the decision maker for each decision the AIO makes.

Task List (see attached spreadsheet)

The spreadsheet lists the full sequence of play in the leftmost column. The second column shows the relevant section in the rules. The third column identifies who makes the decision. Sometimes it is made without input from the player (e.g., the end of turn die roll). In the fourth column is a short description of the task/decision, followed by the fifth column with an assigned task number. The remaining columns show how the AIO makes the decision, both as text and as a DM’s task number. The last two columns display current progress and status.

At every point in the sequence of play where the program asks a player to made a decision, there needs to be code to branch to an AI Opponent routine - when the decision maker is the AIO. There are 100+ of these points in the sequence of play. Most of them involve presenting a form to the player and the rest are where the player moves units on the map.

When the decision maker is the AIO, the form is not displayed. Instead the code branches to an AI decision maker routine to set the requisite variable values comparable to what a human player accomplishes by clicking on buttons, etc. For moving units on the map, the AIO primarily uses LAIO scripts, which are described in a following section.

All the branching logic for the AIO making decisions has been written. These code changes had no effect on the other modes of play (e.g., Solitaire, NetPlay) since in all cases the branching logic starts by checking for the mode of play being AI Opponent.

Of course, once all the branching logic has been coded, then more code needs to be added for the AIO to actually make reasonable decisions. Some of those have already been done (e.g., the USSR always chooses a Land action in Barbarossa). But there are almost 100 more that need to be finished. Note that for the AIO playing the USSR in Barbarossa, there are never any decisions involving naval units. The AIO simply ignores naval units in that scenario.

Predefined Decisions

Some of the easiest decisions for the AIO to make use predefined files. These are hard coded: a starting scrap list, original setup locations for naval units, and which air units at setup are assigned pilots. All of these predefined files have been created and fully tested.

LAIO Scripts

Rather than “hard code” how the AIO makes most decisions, I created a language in which ‘authors’ could write scripts that control AIO decisions. The language is LAIO (Language for the Artificial Intelligence Opponent). In 2008 I had LAIO defined for MWIF. Like other programming languages it has variables, branching logic, loops, functions, and procedures. The advantage of this structure is that a script can be modified using a simple text editor without having to revise the MWIF executable. In practice, this means different ideas for how the AIO makes decisions can be quickly evaluated in a diverse range of game positions.

To make LAIO work, the program needed a parser, which reads in a LAIO script and transforms it into variables, branching logic, etc. for use by the AIO Decision Makers (DMs). The parser is 90% complete and needs only a week to be finished. For complex decisions, a DM reads in and executes a LAIO script. The first place this is done is for setting up the USSR air and land units on the map. Those scripts have been written and are in testing. So is the script for setting up the reserve units when Germany declares war on the USSR.

Of crucial importance is the use of randomly generated numbers to vary how the AIO decides what to do. Sometimes it will do A, sometimes B, sometimes C, and so on. Keeping the AIO’s behavior variable prevents a human opponent from knowing for certain what the AIO will do. Using scripts, the AIO can easily branch to different processes to make a decision.

Having the AIO play the USSR in the Barbarossa scenario means being able to assign a combat value (CV) to each unit. My design for the AIO has CVs at its heart. They determine which air units should be assigned pilots. When a combat loss has to be taken, they determine which unit lives and which dies. Then they are also an integral part of the logic for deciding which units to build. The places where a unit’s CV is referenced is extensive. Calculating a CV for every unit type has been coded.

Attachment (1)

Steve

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: MWIF Monthly Reports Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI