Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Resolution question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Across the Dnepr - Second Edition >> RE: Resolution question Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 9:08:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

It's very important to know what your graphics drivers and monitor settings can do. Just letting them work on the default settings and assuming that's as good as it gets is not good enough.

There's no reason for a 1024x768 or 1280x1024 game to look stretched on any modern LCD monitor or graphics card. All of them support scaling that doesn't stretch and some have more options than that. Check your graphics drivers and monitor settings, you may find that things look much better after that!

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 61
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 9:09:33 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nebogipfel
Matrix should make a clear statement, that those games don´t support widescreen resolutions.
I wonder, how many poor customers, who bought those games, will enter this forum, disappointed about the resolution issue.

We've clearly listed the supported resolutions for each of our new releases in both or Product Page and on the Store Page for that product for years now.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Nebogipfel)
Post #: 62
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 9:54:11 PM   
JudgeDredd

Whilst I don't want to bang on - and it's not even really a concern of mine as a) I have a 17" monitor and the game looks marvellous on it and b) I don't really mind black bars down the side of my game in order to keep the view crisp...I do have to point out that I think everyone seems to be missing the crucial point - which is wodin and others are concerned that their real estate on their nice big 22" monitors is not being utilised.

Yes, they're concerned about the stretching and yes, the thread has helped Tzar007 and wodin (and others) from having the stretched look....but they are still not getting the main point answered which is having games utilise widescreen mode WITHOUT stretching and WITHOUT wasting space on their screen. They want the games they buy to fill their 22" monitors and look normal...no stretching and no black bars.

To be honest, and I've already mentioned my reasons for my lack of concern on the issue, I think in 2010 they have a point.

They have not been answered fully...that's all I'll say on the matter. Now if you'll excuse me I have a nice pbem going of Kharkov.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 63
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 10:21:03 PM   
Helpless

quote:

There's no reason for a 1024x768 or 1280x1024 game to look stretched on any modern LCD monitor or graphics card. All of them support scaling that doesn't stretch and some have more options than that.

Would be good. Just recently had to switch to ATI and Win7 64. Surprisingly there is no option to set fixed aspect ratio in Catalyst Control Center in Win7 64 bit version, which is available in WinXP. Never had such problems NVidia software. Didn't spent too much time too troubleshoot, since my second 1280x1024 LCD displays ATD2/Kharkov just fine.

Pavel Zagzin
WITE/WITW/WITE-2 Development

Post #: 64
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 10:32:03 PM   
wodin

Well I'm happy....it was getting very annoying that Joe98 refused to believe that CotA wasn't stretched on a widescreen monitor when I was playing it just the other day. Also I went and asked the developer of CotA and GGWitE and both said there are no black bars and not stretched yet he still wouldn't have it....

Anyway I don't know about the other games so I not interested if they support widescreen or not...I also think that it should be mentioned in the manual...it has nothing todo with the graphics card nor the monitor it has everything to do with the game design...so a little mention say in a TIPS section wouldn't go amiss explaining how to use upscale or fixed ratio.

Also if you are lucky enough to have a 22inch flatscreen I'm sure even with the black bars you have a fair playing area...however I have a 19inch so I expect the playing area will be tiny.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 65
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 10:52:47 PM   
Txema

quote:

ORIGINAL: JameyCribbs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joe 98

Close Combat The Longest Day: 29cm by 37cm. Technically it has wide screen. But is not 47cm wide and therefore has black bars

Then you are doing something wrong, because I own this game and it positively works with my 1440x900 widescreen LCD monitor without stretching or black bars.

Jamey

I can say the same for this game, because I own it and I play it at 1920x1200 resolution on a widescreen LCD monitor, without stretching or black bars.

Obviously Joe 98 is doing something wrong with his monitor or with the resolution configuration of his games. At least he admits he was wrong with Conquest of the Aegean...

What I can not understand is that he keeps stating that everybody else is wrong (even the game developers !!) and that he is one of the few and unique persons that understand the concept of screen resolution. He has even stated in a previous post "I have now learnt that most do not understand "screen resolution" (!), to disqualify our posts...

BTW, Joe 98, which is the native screen resolution of your monitor?? I think you haven't even commented it in your posts...

Joe 98, my two previous posts are completely right. I know it because I have verified it in my computer for Close Combat The Longest Day and for Conquest of the Aegean. I trust also the game developers of War in the Pacific: Admirals Edition, and of War in the East, so since they have posted here that both games suport wide screen resolutions without stretching, I know it is true. (and a proper support of those resolutions obviously means no black bars at the edges of the screen).

P.S. Joe 98, are you sure that you have set the screen resolution of Close Combat The Longest Day to the same value as the native resolution of your monitor?? And what about the screen resolution of your monitor?? Are you sure it is set to its native value?? In that way you will get the battles in proper widescreen resultion without stretching or black bars...

< Message edited by Txema -- 4/22/2010 10:59:56 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 66
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 11:28:38 PM   
henri51

OK, I am learning a lot about displays here. I checked my Nvidia 8800GS settings and indeed there is a setting ("use Nvidea scaling without fixed aspect ratio") that prevents "stretching" and puts black bars on the side at my resolution of 1900x1200 on my 24-inch monitor. The problem is that stretching is so small that I had not noticed it.

So in sum: with both CCTLD and Kharkov ATD2, "widescreen" is supported, but not without stretching, in which case there are black bars on the sides (and I am not certain that is better...).

Now I did not try other resolutions, and I may be missing something, but it seems to me that the misunderstanding comes from most people like me having not noticed the very slight stretching when spect ratiois not preserved.

To make things more complicated, the "scaling" fills the screen even if your resolution is not supported, so one is never sure exactly what resolution oone is working with. But ITHINK that for CCTLD and Kharkov, it supports 1900x1200 or more since they are in the list.

And BTW, IIRC, to get the higher resolutions with WITP-AE one has to put some arcane things in the command line - and I haven't tried about the black bars with that game.

Henri

< Message edited by henri51 -- 4/22/2010 11:31:13 PM >

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 67
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 11:34:07 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Txema

BTW, Joe 98, which is the native screen resolution of your monitor??

I think you haven't even commented it in your posts...

I don't know. How do I find out?

How come some war games fill the wide screen without stretching and some don't? How come some are 29cm wide, some 37cm wide and some 39cm wide.

Also, 2 years ago, i ticked the "fixed aspect ratio" box and it has remained ticked all this time. If it is not ticked all the games mentioned in this thread are stretched.

-

< Message edited by Joe 98 -- 4/23/2010 12:04:36 AM >

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 68
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 11:39:36 PM   
Fred98

quote:

I can say the same for this game, because I own it and I play it at 1920x1200 resolution on a widescreen LCD monitor, without stretching or black bars.

When you set that resolution, did you do it at you're desktop or did you do it within the game's options?

-

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 69
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 11:44:10 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

It's very important to know what your graphics drivers and monitor settings can do.

That implies that when I switch from game to game, I should change the screen resolution. A point I never considered.

-

Post #: 70
RE: Resolution question - 4/22/2010 11:52:01 PM   
Fred98

quote:

ORIGINAL: JameyCribbs

....because I own this game and it positively works with my 1440x900 widescreen LCD monitor without stretching or black bars.

Jamey

A classic comment I don't get. My monitor is 22" which measures 29cm by 47 cm

There are no monitors 1440x900 so I don't understand it. That goes to the heart of my other comment where i said others don't understand it.

-

(in reply to JameyCribbs)
Post #: 71
Res o matic - 4/23/2010 12:51:44 AM   
e_barkmann

check it out dudes:

http://www.bcheck.net/apps/reso.htm

This may be useful with some games. You'll still need to use your graphics card software adjustments for Kharkov though.

< Message edited by Chris Merchant -- 4/23/2010 1:03:08 AM >

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 72
RE: Res o matic - 4/23/2010 7:40:17 AM   
wodin

My monitor is a 19inch widescreen and its native resolution is 1400x900.

The latest drivers for ATI don't have the wonder box to tick. Though my monitor has a 4:3 setting.

Joe98 can't understand why you keep mentioning the length in centimetres of your monitor. The size of the monitor and the resolution go hand in hand. A 19inch widescreen 16:10 monitor has a max resolution of 1400x900 that means it has 1400 pixels across and 900 down. Infact if you use any resolution that isnt 16:10 then the picture quality degrades.

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/23/2010 7:45:30 AM >

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 73
RE: Res o matic - 4/23/2010 8:07:11 AM   
Fred98

I don’t believe monitor size and screen resolution go hand in hand.

My old CRT monitor was 29cm x 29cm

My widescreen monitor is 29cm x (whatever) wide.

Presume from the Windows desktop I set both to the same screen resolution

On the CRT, Kharkov is a square 29cm x 29cm and the hexes are (say) 1cm wide (no stretching)

On the widescreen, Kharkov is a square 29cm x 29cm and the hexes are (say) 1cm wide (no stretching)

I see the same picture on both monitors.

-

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 74
RE: Res o matic - 4/23/2010 11:36:24 PM   
Nebogipfel

Thanks for the response Erik,

maybe my post was a bit unclear.

I know, that the supported screen resolutions are listed on every matrix game site.

Perhaps I´m not so confident, that every user is knowing his systems screen resolutions.

What I had in mind , was to put the advice in words like "Supports widescreen" for example.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 75
RE: Res o matic - 4/24/2010 1:21:58 PM   
wodin

Joe98 I've just sussed why you find no difference...your old crt and your widescreen are the same height which means even with black lines down the side your actual game picture will be the same size ....if you had bought a widescreen that was smaller in height like my 19inch widescreen compared to my 19inch crt then you will notice what everyone else notices to get a non stretched look and have black lines the picture ends up being tiny

You've not experienced the problem....doesn't mean there isn't one Joe98 like pretty much everyone else.

My 19inch CRT could go upto 1600 x 1200 my 19inch widescreen can only goto 1400x900 so yes monitors size dictates resolution.

Finally I know why Joe98 see's no problems!! HURRAH!

< Message edited by wodin -- 4/24/2010 1:27:23 PM >

(in reply to Nebogipfel)
Post #: 76
RE: Res o matic - 4/26/2010 6:40:55 PM   
Txema

Joe 98,

Let me explain this in a simplified way. A rigorous explanation would be more complicated and is not really important for our aim. The image shown in your computer screen is composed of a large number of square dots named "pixels". Each pixel takes the proper color to form the whole screen image. The screen resolution is given as “number of horizontal pixels X number of vertical pixels”. For example, in my case I am using a screen resolution of 1920 X 1200. This means that my screen image is composed of 1920 columns of pixels, and 1200 rows of pixels. Therefore the total number of pixels in the image is 1920 X 1200 = 2304000. Since the pixels are squares, my image is rectangular, and its width is larger than its height. The aspect ratio of my image is 1920/1200 = 1.6 = 16:10. This means that its width is 1.6 times larger than its height. The physical size of the image (in centimeters, for example) depends on the exact monitor you are using. There are monitor of 24 inches (24 inches is the value of the diagonal of the monitor) that feature the 1920 X 1200 resolution. But there are also monitors of 26, 28, 30 … inches that also feature the 1920 X 1200 resolution. For a given resolution, if the monitor has a larger physical size, its pixels will have a larger physical size, of course. All the monitors featuring a screen resolution of 1920 X 1200 pixels will have an aspect ratio of 1920/1200 = 1.6, and therefore the physical width (in centimeters, f.e.) of their screen will be 1.6 times larger that the physical height, but the actual physical value can be different. The bottom line is that when somebody speaks about screen resolution, he speaks about number of pixels and not about centimeters.

< Message edited by Txema -- 4/26/2010 7:05:25 PM >

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 77
RE: Res o matic - 4/26/2010 7:02:35 PM   
Txema

Now let’s see how you can check the native screen resolution of your monitor. I have Windows XP on my computer and to check the screen resolution I have to put my mouse over a “neutral” part of the screen (not over an icon or over a button). Then I press the right mouse button, and I get a menu. Then I left-click on “properties”, and finally I left-click on the “configuration” tab. By doing so I can see the screen resolution, and the slide that controls it. The native screen resolution of a LCD monitor is its maximum resolution and to get it you have to move the slide control all the way to the right. Memorize the value you get, because that is your native screen resolution. Now click “apply” and “accept”.
To set the screen resolution on Close Combat The longest Day you have to start the game and then you have to go to the “Close Combat Options” dialog box (page 36-37 of the game manual). I think you go there by pressing “esc”, but I am not sure right now. Then you have to select the “general” tab, and there you can set the screen resolution. You should set it to your native screen resolution.

That’s it !!! Please, let me know if it works for you !!!

Txema

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 78
RE: Res o matic - 4/27/2010 12:13:00 AM   
henri51

quote:

Now let’s see how you can check the native screen resolution of your monitor. I have Windows XP on my computer and to check the screen resolution I have to put my mouse over a “neutral” part of the screen (not over an icon or over a button). Then I press the right mouse button, and I get a menu. Then I left-click on “properties”, and finally I left-click on the “configuration” tab. By doing so I can see the screen resolution, and the slide that controls it. The native screen resolution of a LCD monitor is its maximum resolution and to get it you have to move the slide control all the way to the right. Memorize the value you get, because that is your native screen resolution. Now click “apply” and “accept”.
To set the screen resolution on Close Combat The longest Day you have to start the game and then you have to go to the “Close Combat Options” dialog box (page 36-37 of the game manual). I think you go there by pressing “esc”, but I am not sure right now. Then you have to select the “general” tab, and there you can set the screen resolution. You should set it to your native screen resolution.

Yes but there is an additional complication: some cards like the GS8800 on this computer has a little square in the menu that I can check to tell it to "maintain aspect ratio", which puts black bars on the side of my 1900x1200 24-inch monitor (despite checking 1900x1200 on CC and 1280x1024 on Kharkov/ATD2). But my other computer with a ATI 1900x video card (also 1900x1200 and 24 inches) has no such check mark (I spent a half hour looking at all the menus)and as far as I can determine, there is nothing I can do to get the black bars on either game.So it would seem that both games have "stretching", and that it is automatic with the ATI 1900x card, but I am not sure... The reason I can get black bars with ATD2 is that 1280x1024 has a ratio of 1.25 (instead of the native 1.6 corresponding to 1900x1200), so it is impossible to display the image without stretching or black bars on that monitor.

Personally it doesn't bother me very much, but I am kinda curious. For sure I can't get 1900x1200 with ATD2 since it does not support that resolution, but I don't understand why I can get black bars with CC-TLD at 1900x1200 resolution, which is the native resolution of this computer.

henri

< Message edited by henri51 -- 4/27/2010 12:14:09 AM >

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 79
RE: Res o matic - 4/27/2010 7:13:36 AM   
wodin

Thats my problem...ATI cards cant fix aspect ratio....shame...maybe there is a user driver out there that gives the option for ATI cards.
Nvidea are just way to expensive compared to ATI....I usually spend abput £130 on a graphics card each year...at the moment I have a 1gig 4870.....I will buy a 5830 when the price drops a little....couldnt get an nvidea card for directx 11 for £130.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 80
RE: Res o matic - 4/27/2010 12:22:29 PM   
oldspec4

I have an Nvidia 9800gt but I use my monitor controls, not the video card, to switch between full widescreen and aspect ratio.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 81
RE: Resolution question - 4/27/2010 1:08:24 PM   
TheWombat_matrixforum

I don't know if this helps, but from another forum, this post:
quote:

If you have a widescreen LCD, these old 4:3 games automatically stretch and the GPU scaling/maintain aspect ratio option grayed out.

I found the trick is that you actually have to temporarily switch to that lower resolution before the option is ungrayed. You can switch back to your full 1:1 1920x1080 or whatever and the 4:3 games are no longer stretched.

Hope this helps someone with old fullscreen games.

seems to indicate you CAN do scaling on ATI with some fiddling. I have a 4850 so I might try it but I have a 4:3 LCD so it hasn't been an issue.

Post #: 82
RE: Res o matic - 4/28/2010 9:39:19 AM   
Txema

henri51,

Please, take into account that in Close Combat The Longest Day, the menu screens are shown at lower resolutions, but just those screens. The actual battle is played at the chosen wide screen resolution (1920 X 1200 in my case) with no stretching, and no black bars, allowing the player to see a much larger portion of the map at the screen when playing. Does it work for you like that??

Txema

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

quote:

Yes but there is an additional complication: some cards like the GS8800 on this computer has a little square in the menu that I can check to tell it to "maintain aspect ratio", which puts black bars on the side of my 1900x1200 24-inch monitor (despite checking 1900x1200 on CC and 1280x1024 on Kharkov/ATD2). But my other computer with a ATI 1900x video card (also 1900x1200 and 24 inches) has no such check mark (I spent a half hour looking at all the menus)and as far as I can determine, there is nothing I can do to get the black bars on either game.So it would seem that both games have "stretching", and that it is automatic with the ATI 1900x card, but I am not sure... The reason I can get black bars with ATD2 is that 1280x1024 has a ratio of 1.25 (instead of the native 1.6 corresponding to 1900x1200), so it is impossible to display the image without stretching or black bars on that monitor.

Personally it doesn't bother me very much, but I am kinda curious. For sure I can't get 1900x1200 with ATD2 since it does not support that resolution, but I don't understand why I can get black bars with CC-TLD at 1900x1200 resolution, which is the native resolution of this computer.

henri

< Message edited by Txema -- 4/28/2010 9:40:07 AM >

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 83
RE: Res o matic - 4/29/2010 4:33:46 PM   
Ron

I read this thread but couldn't find an answer to my question. I have an nVidia card and nVidia control panel to adjust settings. However this program will not allow me to adjust the desktop size and position, it keeps reverting to 'Use my Display's built-in scaling' even after I have given Administrator permissions. Any suggestions?

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 84
RE: Res o matic - 4/29/2010 6:40:51 PM   
oldspec4

I have the same issue so don't have any advice here re: the nVidia control panel. But I'm using my monitor's aspect/full screen control and it works fine.

(in reply to Ron)
Post #: 85
RE: Res o matic - 4/29/2010 10:49:39 PM   
henri51

quote:

henri51,

Please, take into account that in Close Combat The Longest Day, the menu screens are shown at lower resolutions, but just those screens. The actual battle is played at the chosen wide screen resolution (1920 X 1200 in my case) with no stretching, and no black bars, allowing the player to see a much larger portion of the map at the screen when playing. Does it work for you like that??

No, if I click on the maintain aspect ratio box (at 1920x1200 which is native resolution), I have black bars on the sides; if not, the game fills the screen. I don't understand why (card is 8800GS).

Henri

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 86
RE: Res o matic - 4/29/2010 11:08:00 PM   
Txema

Joe 98,

Have you tried this ??

quote:

Txema

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 87
RE: Res o matic - 4/30/2010 12:15:17 AM   
Fred98

I have been away on business and just returned. Natch wargaming is the first priority upon return!

In Windows, I am surprised to find I had set my screen resolution to the highest resolution. I suppose I did so when I first got the monitor.

In Close Combat, ever since CC1 dated 1996, within the game options, you can set the screen resolution. Over various PC’s, monitors and versions of Close Combat, I have never used the highest screen resolution because it slows the scroll speed.

Last night, from the Close Combat options, I used the same screen resolution the monitor is set to. For the first time, Close Combat fills the wide screen monitor.

From this we learn: if the screen resolution set in Windows and the screen resolution set on the CC options screen are the same, then the game will fill you’re wide screen monitor.

I didn’t post this last night because I then checked WiTP – AE. I cannot get it to fill the wide screen – will test more over the weekend then post my findings.

Joe

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 88
RE: Res o matic - 5/1/2010 1:26:39 PM   
Henri

quote:

Joe 98,

Have you tried this ??

quote:

Txema

Yes.

(in reply to Txema)
Post #: 89
RE: Res o matic - 5/6/2010 11:30:30 PM   
Fred98

Last night I set the PC as though I were about to play Kharkov – and then started WITP.

It sits in a square 28cm x 28cm. The sides of the hexes are even. I see 25 hexes across the screen.

Exit the game and set the monitor as though I were playing wide screen games.

Start WITP.

The game fills the screen. The hexes sides are all even and no stretching.

I see 25 hexes across the screen.

In other words, for WITP, a wide screen provides no benefit when playing the game.

-

(in reply to Henri)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Across the Dnepr - Second Edition >> RE: Resolution question Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI