Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 1:21:55 PM   
Sigh

The game is broken in the true sense of the word. Thats all there is to it. Broken does NOT mean its "unplayable" Where would one draw the line then? Have you ever seen a game that is truly unplayable? didn't think so. Good for you if your having fun. It's still broken. A game that crashes this often is broken (again im not even talking about the game design which is/was also broken.. they seem to be fixing this part up)

And im not uploading anything. There are enough of you who like the feeling of being involved. Keep paying to be part of the team. It seems like a great business model.. But one that I and some other developers will never adapt.

Also you guys really seem to like ignoring the fact that I am fair in my observations (subjectively fair anyways). Im not just saying everything is bad. Im not only posting bad things for the hell of it. I also post what I find to be good (and actually prefer doing that because whether you believe it or not im not trying to be a troll). So yes. I perceive most of you as fanboys. People who can not stand the fact that something they like is being criticized.

Its meant for the designers (who i felt really really cheated by). I really could give a rats butt about what you guys think as I obviously dont respect your opinion anyways. But i guess thats to antagonistic right? Not suger coating everything?

and for the record there are plenty of people online saying matrix sells broken games (at release.. the consensus is that they do fix them up). The people here who are obviously biased do not prove me wrong.

< Message edited by Sigh -- 4/22/2010 1:36:03 PM >

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 121
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 1:34:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

Ok everyone, please just let me deal with Sigh. I know his behavior has been poor and he has been warned, but please leave the rest to me.

Sigh, I resent your comment about this being a "business model". It is in fact the opposite of our "business model" to have any issues to fix post-release, but there's the ideal and then there's reality and this affects teams much larger than ours with several magnitudes more resources in development and testing. We have been doing, in my opinion, a good job of dealing with reality once we did not achieve the ideal we were aiming for. I think the difference between you and most of our customers is that your definition of "broken" is quite different from most everyone else's.

I'm glad 1.0.4 is making you a bit happier with the game, I'm confident that as we continue updating it, even very critical customers like you will come around. I know what the game can do and I know what we and Elliot can do and I look forward to making Distant Worlds so good that there's no room left for this kind of commentary. You mention that you are a developer. I look forward to playing your bug-free game, which you built on a shoestring with a small team, could you perhaps give us a link?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sigh)
Post #: 122
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 1:48:05 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sigh
Its meant for the designers (who i felt really really cheated by). I really could give a rats butt about what you guys think as I obviously dont respect your opinion anyways. But i guess thats to antagonistic right? Not suger coating everything?

I think you have enough self-awareness to know how that comes across. I just wonder if this is how you speak with people in person as well or only anonymously on the internet?

quote:

and for the record there are plenty of people online saying matrix sells broken games (at release.. the consensus is that they do fix them up). The people here who are obviously biased do not prove me wrong.

We've released over 100 games over the years. When I hear this argument, I generally see it reference one of about five games, over and over again. We are not perfect and we've certainly made some mistakes in release calls, but it's completely false to suggest that we "sell broken games". I know our philosophy and the work we put into these releases and it's about getting out a quality product. We always put quality ahead of release dates or other concerns and most of the time things work out as expected. I'd say our record on releases being relatively bug-free and working as intended at release is as good as most and better than many. I'm glad you noted that we do fix up the ones that do not me our (or the customers') expectations.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sigh)
Post #: 123
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 2:21:59 PM   
Sigh

As a developer with a business I think you understand that that would be a very very dumb move
It's besides the point anyways. I haven't done anything this ambitious (and despite the way I talk I don't consider myself a better programmer then you guys)  but I have seen others pull it off and sell the product for a fraction of the price. It's not your skill but the unfinished release that gets to me.

I do not produce bug free software. Nobody does (at least for something this ambitious). But i would never release anything in this state and ask 60 dollars for it. (To be fair I do not have to worry about deadlines.. still, indie games as ambitious as this have been released in much better condition)

I am actually semi-confident in the game becoming very good as time passes... its just as i said: Personally I find it unacceptable to sell something that doesn't work and when I can find a crash after literally 3 mins of playing a new patch i lose hope (and obviously get emotional).

I'm very very sure that I'm not the only one who sees it the same way.. I'm prob just one of the more vocal ones. Again: People would not be surprised to see a disgruntled customer being very vocal about a physical product. (even if they did find it out of line)

Anyways after my last outburst at the patch and then my playing of the second beta I told myself I'm not going to be an ass anymore. But I will still comment (and im not sugercoating anything). Im just defending my overall stance right now because the suggestion of ignoring me didn't work to well ;)

Understand (i think you do actually) that i had no other way to vent out my frustration.. I COULD have just pirated the game you know ;)

I really am pretty surprised by the 1.04 patch. The game has become much more enjoyable. Still the reported crashes need to be fixed.. It does break the game.

So ill leave it at this: Im not going to be a complete ass anymore ok? Ill let you know about bugs I find that I havnt seen reported but Im not going to be a beta tester.
I just want you to know that I feel cheated. I consider the game to be an unfinished product but I acknowledge that im a d*** about it

That will be the end of it. You have it in writing now

If the game reaches its full potential Ill prob try to get everybody I know to buy it since im also very vocal about games I think deserve the praise. Ill prob just have to add in the fact about waiting for a demo when purchasing from matrix ;) Not that it ll make any kind of sales difference but.. well whatever. Just realize Im not hellbent on making matrix look bad for kicks.

And yes I do speak like that in real life. Maybe a reason I don't have many friends huh?
But the ones I do have would agree with me ^^

< Message edited by Sigh -- 4/22/2010 2:24:49 PM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 124
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 2:57:53 PM   
Okim

You know, after reading your long conversation i feel that i should note that i support Sign.

Well, i may be less vocal and aggressive (sorry, Sign), but i also find it unacceptable for a developer to release something that has so many errors no matter how good and experienced a developer is or is not. Each developer should understand that people are forced to trust their words about the game, especially those who do not release any demos or other ways to try it (trial versions etc.). You can always return a broken toaster to the shop where you`ve bought it when it is clear that this is a production problem, but once you paid for a game you can never get a refund for it no matter the reason (correct me if i am wrong).

Currently this game is not in a playable condition i was expecting it to be. The game that i started long ago and wrote a report about it is no longer playable as it had a persistent crash. Another two games with 1.02 also turned out to be unplayable. A game that i have started with 1.03 had a crash with world annihilator and once again i was unable to finish it - this was the most frustrating as i was the major faction and only a couple of years was left before the game should have ended normally. Currently i`m not starting any new games as i now prefer to read the forums first. There are once again some new crash reports in 1.04b2...

I appreciate the fact that you are trying to fix it - not all developers are paying so much attention to the community and the future of the games they produce. I`m aware of how difficult it is to make everything work and how it is difficult to test and check everything, but i still think that devs should have tested it a bit more longer.

I will patiently wait for a stable update and hope that this wont let us all wait for too long.

(in reply to Sigh)
Post #: 125
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 3:07:46 PM   
Kriegsspieler

I wonder if all of this "I'm so disappointed" chatter could be shifted over to another thread, so this one could be used to do something useful, like report issues with, and comments on, the latest version of the beta.
(This is why I prefer to be part of closed betas . . . . )

(in reply to Okim)
Post #: 126
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 3:24:22 PM   
Sliverine

First off, i would agree that this game release was based on a business model. After all, the real world is driven by none other then simple economics. Why hold the game in for one more year of inhouse testing and bugfixing when you can release it, get one full year of feedback that you could never have achieved with just inhouse testing and best of all, earn one years worth of additional profit?

However, Sigh is only looking at this aspect. While the above does hold true, it is not representative of an economics model on the whole. Releasing a broken game can, contrary to popular belief, actually cause support for the game to die off as people become too disillusioned with constant bugs and crashes and just decide to play something else. A good example of this would be MoO3 which was rushed.

So while this game was indeed released with economics in mind (hence the breakage) and for the reasons previously stated, it is entirely wrong to assume that this is an unorthodox business model to take (as what Sigh is suggesting). There is no 'cheating' involved. While it is true that this game was released with teething problems, the constant work on fixing the game shows that effort is still being put into it. Working on a game for 3 years before release and working on it for 2 years, after which u release it and continue work on it for one more year to fix bugs amounts to the same amount of work, just increased productivity at the cost of possibly pissing fanboys off resulting in diminished returns. Cheating is when you release an unfinished game and under the premise of fixing any additional bugs, market it as a finished product and subsequently, once you have reached your quota, just close shop and start on a new project is called cheating.

< Message edited by Sliverine -- 4/22/2010 3:25:22 PM >

(in reply to Kriegsspieler)
Post #: 127
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 3:34:56 PM   
Erik Rutins

I would just like to be clear on the fact that it's fair to say that we missed too many issues in final testing. It's not fair to assume that we released knowing that for some systems and some playstyles, there would be very severe issues. Virtually everything that ended up causing a crash or having a severe issue after release was something that was tested and found working at various points pre-release.

A lot of the at-release bugs were due to some optimizations that happened fairly late and I think the main mistake we made was in not bringing in some additional testers about a month before release to do a final check with fresh eyes. I missed these myself. The release version was stable for me on our test systems (as it was for many customers) because of both the system configuration and also because of my playstyle.

I willingly accept blame and responsibility for letting so many issues get through testing, but I will not accept any implication that we deliberately released with those issues in order to make the public test for us.

I also think that another thread is a better place for this, but I really think it's important to note that we understand that while some customers are having a great time and playing for hours without a single problem, others are still unhappy and the game doesn't work for their playstyle. We get it and we're working on it.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/22/2010 3:36:09 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sliverine)
Post #: 128
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 3:37:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

Okim,

The world destroyer turned out to be a huge source of very nasty bugs. I used this myself without issues pre-release, but at some point it broke, very badly and we didn't catch that before the release. My apologies that it messed up your game. I believe it's working fine now. Please give things another try when 1.0.4 goes official. I really enjoyed your AAR and would hope that we can get things working to your satisfaction.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 129
RE: UPDATED: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 2 Now Ava... - 4/22/2010 3:55:45 PM   
deanco2

quote:

5. Added maximum weapons energy use to Design screen (top of Weapons panel) so that you can compare reactor power output to optimize military designs

A step in the right direction, but it could be better.

Why can this not be expressed by a simple + or - number?

(energy surplus) - (max weapons energy use) = (+ or - so much 'extra' energy)

If there is a reason to keep those 2 numbers separate (and in different areas of the screen), I can't see it.

Make the text green if positive, red if negative, and the player can see at a glance if his design is over or underpowered.

At least, put the 2 numbers next to each other in the interface. I never woulda noticed it if I didn't look hard for it.

Post #: 130
RE: UPDATED: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 2 Now Ava... - 4/22/2010 3:58:28 PM   
MirabelleBenou

Just want to say I launched a new game today with 1.04b2 and I enjoy it a lot :)

Despites the bugs and problems since the release, thanks a lot for a great game and your support.

(in reply to deanco2)
Post #: 131
RE: UPDATED: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 2 Now Ava... - 4/22/2010 4:50:58 PM   
Druthlen

Firstly this is not a "broken game" Where are the crashs that you speak off???? I have played over 30 hrs...30 HRS of game play. not 10 mins but 30 hrs and on 1.01 2 crashes. 102 and beyond 0 crashes. I have to say wtf is wrong with your computer and setup???? Seriously sounds like user error on my end. It sounds like you need to format and reinstall and dont go to naughty websites that give you viruses and fk up your computer. Honestly that is 90 % of computer errors; viruses caught surfing p**n.

Druthlen

(in reply to MirabelleBenou)
Post #: 132
RE: UPDATED: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 2 Now Ava... - 4/22/2010 4:52:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

Please let's not drag this conversation down into the dirt. This is a family forum and we can handle criticism, even if we disagree with it in tone or degree.

As I said above, we know that the game is working fine for many customer (and that makes us very happy!), we also know that it still needs work in some areas and for some playstyles. We are confident and committed to continuing to fix and improve - Distant Worlds has a bright future and I hope you will all stick around for the ride.

I appreciate expressions of support and positive reports, I just don't want to see customers arguing with each other. Just let us know about your play experience and trust that we can handle any negativity.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/22/2010 4:54:49 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Druthlen)
Post #: 133
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 5:09:39 PM   
Baleur

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sigh

And im not uploading anything. There are enough of you who like the feeling of being involved. Keep paying to be part of the team. It seems like a great business model.. But one that I and some other developers will never adapt.

lol @ "business model".
And for the record, ALL pc game developers sell broken games. Its the sad decline of pc gaming. Not because the games suck or are uninteresting, but because the devs always simply release them unfinished. They cant do that with console games, since what you get is what you play, internet connection or not, no patches neccessary for a flawless experience.

This is also why i'm spending more and more time on my 360 than with pc games.
So dont be naive in thinking Matrix is the only developer that does this. They all do, and they are all equally responsible for this.
Remember Dawn of War 2 at launch? Or Silent Hunter 5? Or C&C3-C&C4-RA2? Or Empire Total War? Or Space Empires V?
Age of Conan? Vanguard? Supreme Commander 2? All horribly broken, buggy, worthless netcode or unplayable.
They all do it, big multi-million dollar developers, or small indie developers. Though the indie devs are much better at releasing playable games.

AI War, Distant Worlds, Mount & Blade, the games i play the most right now, all small-budget games.
And all of them more finished than multi-million dollar pieces of junk (Spore, i'm looking at you, for ruining my hopes lol).

< Message edited by Baleur -- 4/22/2010 5:12:20 PM >

(in reply to Sigh)
Post #: 134
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 5:13:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baleur
And for the record, ALL pc game developers sell broken games. Its the sad decline of pc gaming. Not because the games suck or are uninteresting, but because the devs always simply release them unfinished. They cant do that with console games, since what you get is what you play, internet connection or not, no patches neccessary for a flawless experience.

I think there's a bit of cause and effect confusion in this statement though. While this is far from the whole story with PC games, developing for a single static platform (like a console) where you have exactly the same setup as every single customer... the same hardware, the same OS and no extra third party software or driver differences to account for, is a heck of a lot nicer in terms of being able to reproduce and test for bugs.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 135
RE: UPDATED: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 2 Now Ava... - 4/22/2010 5:25:19 PM   
jscott991

quote:

ORIGINAL: Druthlen

Firstly this is not a "broken game" Where are the crashs that you speak off???? I have played over 30 hrs...30 HRS of game play. not 10 mins but 30 hrs and on 1.01 2 crashes. 102 and beyond 0 crashes. I have to say wtf is wrong with your computer and setup???? Seriously sounds like user error on my end. It sounds like you need to format and reinstall and dont go to naughty websites that give you viruses and fk up your computer. Honestly that is 90 % of computer errors; viruses caught surfing p**n.

Druthlen

This is patently ridiculous.

90% of game crashes are caused by slight differences in graphics cards and video drivers. You can confirm this by simply looking at error logs.

< Message edited by jscott991 -- 4/22/2010 5:31:01 PM >

(in reply to Druthlen)
Post #: 136
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 5:36:08 PM   
Igard

I've got an error the same as fabio80mi reported earlier. I've clocked around 5 hours playing time on beta 1.0.4-2 and this only happened once.

I had sent a colony ship to an indie planet that I knew was populated. The ship exited hyperspace next to the planet, but strangely, I was given a pop-up informing me that we had discovered an independant colony. The crash occured as soon as I clicked go to event location.

Here's a screeny of the error window:-

Attachment (1)

Post #: 137
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 5:37:44 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks for the report, we do have a few more issues to sort out with Beta 2 and this is one of them. There will be a Beta 3, but we want to make some more economy balance tweaks as well first.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 138
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 5:43:14 PM   
Igard

Good to hear, Erik. The error aside, this update is a huge improvement in terms of streamlining the gameplay.

EDIT: Just realised this should have been on the tech support forums!

< Message edited by Igard -- 4/22/2010 5:45:23 PM >

Post #: 139
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 6:51:30 PM   
Sliverine

oh its the DateTime issue again...lol...

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 140
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 7:57:08 PM   
Munchies

Can now design defense, monotoring, and research bases. gj

Now on to the economy which I admit has me baffled. Probably because there are some "behind the scene" things happening I know nothing about.
One is the resort base income in my new game. I have 2 resorts at scenic locations. (One is 23% and the other is 53% bonus) At one base I now have 127k humans and the other has 47k. At one point in the game, the income spiked at 20k resort income for a very short time. But nothing since that time and it has been a few game years now.
Resort income is 0.
Are the passengers at the resort suppose to leave after a time or just live there indefinitely? Because I have yet to see a passenger ship pick any up. They just drop them off and leave to never return.
(Resort is at a neutron star very close to my home system)

Also, for over 1 game year I have had a positive net income (white) ranging from 10,000 to 31,000. (more or less)
Yet, all during that time my cash on hand has gone from +1,000 to -44,000.
What is draining my cash? crooked merchants? lol
I have not spent one coin on anything because I have been in the negative.
If it is the automation of the AI building new basses and such, then this needs to be fixed. It should not take money that is not there to begin with.

Just crazy to have a positive cash flow yet continue down until you are bankrupt.

< Message edited by Munchies -- 4/22/2010 7:58:08 PM >

(in reply to Sliverine)
Post #: 141
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 9:25:20 PM   
Druthlen

I have also noticed the resort bases are acting funny. However due to advances in tech I scrap the old ones and rebuild and income starts flowing in again. So if they get stragnate scrap um.

Jscott i said computer errors but I can see how posting in a gaming forum you could draw the conclussion that I was speaking about strickly gaming. Driver and registry corruption is a serious issue that happens more then you would expect it to from visiting warez, and um other websites. It can do some squirrely things to your computer. IE the reason I never visit said websites.

(in reply to Munchies)
Post #: 142
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 10:08:49 PM   
Anthropoid

I've played about 30 or 40 hours with 1.02, and have not updated to 1.04beta yet. I have a well-tuned rig (MD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz 3328MB RAM) with ample power (900w) and a good vid card (NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT) and run XP Home. I keep malware off my machine assiduously. It has been a long time since I did a tuneup but it doesn't seem to matter yet.

I've never had a crash or lockup with this game, let alone a slow-down or process glitch. No errors, no pauses, no CTDs. Not a single crash in about 40 hours of play time.

I've had a lot of fun with this game too. Right at the moment I've turned my attention over to Mount & Blade Warband, but I'll be playing this one for months I'm sure. When the 1.04 official patch is done I'll install it and, based on about 8 years of experience with these Matrix guys, and about 12 or 15 of their games, I am confident that I'll be pleased with the improvements/tweaks.

Apart from some "ghost" space ships that left port before they were finished, and some mines that got "knocked lose" from their moorings on moons or planets, I have encountered NOTHING in this game that I think could be qualifed as being "broken."

As far as I could tell, EVERYTHING is working as designed.

I keep seeing the same people use that phrase 'broken,' and apart from them having crashes or errors, I have yet (despite asking more than once) to see them list precisely in objective terms what aspects of the game they are talking about when they say it is "broken." If it is broken, tell me where, and I'll be happy to play a bit to try to replicate your observations and see if I have the same results.

Tis' true that not everything is optimally balanced, and some functionality is a bit awkward or less than ideally efficient. In a highly complex strategy game made by a small Independent developer, those are the types of things that get gradually sorted out by players commenting on them and developers adjusting, if not mods being made.

The expectation that some folks have expressed in here that a publisher like Matrix should behave like an Xbox publisher is absolutely detached from reality. To be fair, the fact that the game works WELL on my machine does not mean that it does not behave as if it is "broken" on your machine. Maybe you are not full of it, and really are just frustrated. If so: calm down, note the problems you are having while you play, take screen-caps, run Dxdiag so you can tell them your rig specs are, and be prepared to follow the myriad of other objective calm actions that a constructive user will follow to help the publisher to troubleshoot. If you switch to that approach instead of the bashing approach, and you sincerely want to have a fun game and not simply have an excuse to troll around Matrix forums, you will get what you want. I say that with confidence based on my past experience with these Matrix guys. Or you could just shelve it and come back later after more patches come out.

But assuming that your perspective is authoritative, that you are "not alone" and that there are "lots of others" who share your perspective, when in fact there are many of us who have repeatedly praised the game in the same threads in which you post your rants suggests one thing: you are a troll.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Druthlen)
Post #: 143
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 10:13:14 PM   
Gertjan

Do you really need 900w in your pc?

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 144
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 10:30:56 PM   
Athalian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

Do you really need 900w in your pc?

its better to go above as this leads to a more stable power supply, but yes, that is a bit over the top :) Though he does have 2 cpus, thats goin to draw a bit of power :)

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 145
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 10:36:07 PM   
Zakhal

The game crashed after 5 hours of play and I noticed I handnt remember to save and the autosave wasnt on . And this was my best game ever so far! It will take somtime to recover from this loss.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 4/22/2010 10:37:36 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 146
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 10:40:25 PM   
Speedy2511

Hello everyone!

First this is a awesome game!

I think with the new beta the economy is going into the right direction. Before the patch a made to much money. The other empires were far behind me. Now i lost the half of my money. I had a free trade agangement with all the other empires. If i go to war with one of the others, i where in the reds very soon!

I hope the Opponent AI can handle this.

Greetings from Germany
Nico

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 147
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 10:41:58 PM   
Anthropoid

I have four fans, plus the 2 CPUs. I don't know what the "minimum" would be, but given that a 900w power supply (hmmm, maybe it was only an 800 or 850 I cannot remember for certain) only cost me about $90

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3973822&Sku=T13-1106

Whereas a 500w model runs/ran about $50

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3255392&Sku=ULT-LS500

I'd rather have excess power than not enough.

My buddies over at a Civ site recommended that you can almost never have too much power. Evidently power supply, and the front serial bus specs on the MoBo are two characteristics that commonly get shortchanged on 'high performance' packages. As I understand it, if you've got a 4GhZ chip, but an inadequate Fsb or not enough power, your rig will not get anywhere close to its optimum performance.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 148
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 10:46:45 PM   
Zakhal

The bigger psu you have the better chance you have of running it on best efficiency. Because of that smaller psu consume more power than bigger ones.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 149
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 10:47:32 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal
The game crashed after 5 hours of play and I noticed I handnt remember to save and the autosave wasnt on . And this was my best game ever so far! It will take somtime to recover from this loss.

Argh, always turn the autosave on, especially for beta updates. I'll see if we can turn that on by default.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/22/2010 10:48:16 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI