Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/22/2010 11:15:24 PM   
Athalian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid

I have four fans, plus the 2 CPUs. I don't know what the "minimum" would be, but given that a 900w power supply (hmmm, maybe it was only an 800 or 850 I cannot remember for certain) only cost me about $90

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3973822&Sku=T13-1106

Whereas a 500w model runs/ran about $50

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3255392&Sku=ULT-LS500

I'd rather have excess power than not enough.

My buddies over at a Civ site recommended that you can almost never have too much power. Evidently power supply, and the front serial bus specs on the MoBo are two characteristics that commonly get shortchanged on 'high performance' packages. As I understand it, if you've got a 4GhZ chip, but an inadequate Fsb or not enough power, your rig will not get anywhere close to its optimum performance.

Without knowing ur exact specs i would guess u need bout 450W (4 sticks of ddr2 ram, 2hdd and led fans). Its better to have a good 600w psu then a cheap 900w psu due to fluctuations in the psu. Fluctuations not good :P

I got a good 700W one and need bout 550W (high end gfx card ^^)

Psu is one of those things you DONT cut costs on.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 151
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/23/2010 12:59:12 AM   
Sigh

Well as said im not going to be an ass anymore but for everybody who thinks im SO absolutely wrong: Please at least read my posts before commenting.. seriously 

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 152
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/23/2010 1:07:27 AM   
Grotius

Well, I like DW a lot. So there. :)

Erik, any timetable on the "official" release of 1.04? I haven't gotten around to installing beta 1.04 yet, and if the release is tomorrow, I'll just wait a day.

(in reply to Sigh)
Post #: 153
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/23/2010 1:09:32 AM   
Astorax

He's already said it might be next week. Could be tomorrow, might be next week.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 154
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/23/2010 1:24:52 AM   
Sigh

Btw Okim it actually is not true that you can not return software (at least in the USA). You have every right to return broken software.. But many stores try to get out of it.

In the case of matrix it might not count though (As you receive a full downloaded version) which is understandable. If I would receive a refund it's not like im going to delete the copy from my computer :P

< Message edited by Sigh -- 4/23/2010 1:25:53 AM >

(in reply to Astorax)
Post #: 155
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/23/2010 1:48:17 AM   
Erik Rutins

Regarding the timing of the official release, I think it will be next week as we would still like to make a few more fixes and a few more economy tweaks for a Beta 3 before the official release. Sorry to disappoint, but I think it's worth one more iteration.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 156
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/23/2010 2:43:30 AM   
Sliverine

@Anthropoid: Coolmax PSU huh...i use the Corsair HX750 (750W) and it supports my i7 920 + dual gfx card just fine, not to mention the multitude of cpu and case coolers i have on...lol. Not sure about the Coolmax brand.

But 900 should be more then sufficient for at least a 3 way SLI gfx setup if im not wrong. I would recommend that you go for one of the more tried/tested/reviewed PSU brands around. Coolmax might not be one of them. Like what Athalian said, the PSU is one of the few things in your comp that you shouldnt cut costs on.

And btw, the newer intel CPUs dont really use FSB nowadays i guess. They use QPI now (Quick Path Interconnect).

< Message edited by Sliverine -- 4/23/2010 2:47:13 AM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 157
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/23/2010 3:00:09 AM   
dawilko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Regarding the timing of the official release, I think it will be next week as we would still like to make a few more fixes and a few more economy tweaks for a Beta 3 before the official release. Sorry to disappoint, but I think it's worth one more iteration.

I think for the majority of users, your not disappointing at all. I wish all games that are released had this level of developer commitment and involvement. Keep up the good work, I for one am enjoying you game.

Post #: 158
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/23/2010 4:51:45 AM   
atlana

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sliverine

@Anthropoid: Coolmax PSU huh...i use the Corsair HX750 (750W) and it supports my i7 920 + dual gfx card just fine, not to mention the multitude of cpu and case coolers i have on...lol. Not sure about the Coolmax brand.

But 900 should be more then sufficient for at least a 3 way SLI gfx setup if im not wrong. I would recommend that you go for one of the more tried/tested/reviewed PSU brands around. Coolmax might not be one of them. Like what Athalian said, the PSU is one of the few things in your comp that you shouldnt cut costs on.

And btw, the newer intel CPUs dont really use FSB nowadays i guess. They use QPI now (Quick Path Interconnect).

actually that is so not entirely correct, if you're one of those people - like me - who have a crapload of internal HDDs plugged-in (my EVGA X58 mainboard takes 10 internal SATA-2 HDDs), or - like me - leave your system running 24/7, such has a drain on the PSU in itself. The rule of thumb is, that after ONE year of your PSU running 24/7, the PSU lost roughly 30% of it's wattage capacity. I personally run a ANTEC TRUPOWER QUATTRO 1000, because anything less doesn't have enough wattage on the +12 volt rails that power my internal HDDs, beside that I run a stock i7 core 920 @ 3.5 Ghz, 24 GB DDR3 Ram and a Nvidia GTX295 (Revision B, single-PCB) in a CoolerMaster HAF 932 Case that has a lot of big fans inside.

as for how much power one really needs, I have an excellent link for that question:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
enjoy the PSU calculator - saved me a lot of headaches :D

EDIT: click on the LITE-VERSION link, no need to go "Pro".

cheers
@

< Message edited by atlana -- 4/23/2010 4:57:28 AM >

(in reply to Sliverine)
Post #: 159
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/23/2010 5:49:58 AM   
Dadekster

I've yet to experience a crash. Other than loose mining stations which were easy enough to fix myself I have yet to come across something that totally destroyed my game itself or immersion in it (as far as things like space monsters and every alien civilization having exactly the same technology goes ;) ). Are some things working the way I thought they would or should? No. Does that make it broken? Imo...no. Do things need to be tweaked some more maybe? I'd say yes. I'd love more feedback regarding things going on in my economy for example. With that I would probably be able to figure more stuff out, which looking around the boards seems to be a common theme (people not 100% of how things work). As it stands atm, I can't tell if something isn't working as intended or if it's just a WAD. I don't see a problem with making the information avaliable either. If a micro type person wants it they can look at it. If you're more a macro/auto person, don't look at the info. What makes people argue over the stuff is if that info is required to play the game. At that point people don't have a choice and complain and as we all know, some people don't need much to start complaining.

Keep up the good work, I like what I am seeing in the public version 2 beta so far.

Post #: 160
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/23/2010 7:02:26 AM   
Grotius

Not disappointed at all, Erik. I'm glad you're taking your time with it. I'll go ahead and download beta 2 now, then.

(in reply to Dadekster)
Post #: 161
RE: UPDATED: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 2 Now Ava... - 4/23/2010 8:48:03 AM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: deanco2

quote:

5. Added maximum weapons energy use to Design screen (top of Weapons panel) so that you can compare reactor power output to optimize military designs

A step in the right direction, but it could be better.

Why can this not be expressed by a simple + or - number?

[...]

Because a simple '+' or '-' isn't enough, at least for mobile ships (and for bases it isn't either because of the contributions of energy collectors).

First, there has the energy draw of the engines to be accounted for, which depends on speed, and in battle the speed of a ship depends on circumstances. These circumstances can cause a ship to stay put (battles involving a base) or move at full speed (battles with either side trying to stay at a distance or fleeing).
The energy number for weapons could be color coded, though: red for when the generators do not supply enough energy while the engines don't draw any. Green when weapons can be fully powered under all circumstances (static energy use + max engine draw + max weapon draw) and yellow for in between.

Oh, and backing these color codes up with a symbol would probably be a help for color blind people. But the numbers are already there, and only three constants and a variable to compare, so no backup is required.

Color coding of the number for bases could work in a similar fashion, this time taking into account what the energy collectors can supply but not taking that for granted.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 4/23/2010 8:50:36 AM >

(in reply to deanco2)
Post #: 162
RE: UPDATED: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 2 Now Ava... - 4/23/2010 1:07:01 PM   
SiempreCiego

hi Erik,

playing with the latest beta. all good so far. no crashes, etc...

In regards to several of the valid and not so valid complaints that have been made. If you intend to buy a game, a bit of research should be done maybe prior to purchase. If like me you feel it is worth throwing caution to to the wind and buying the game upon release, you are taking a risk that there might be a range of issues to be resolved. Buyer beware.

(in reply to sbach2o)
Post #: 163
RE: UPDATED: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta 2 Now Ava... - 4/23/2010 1:21:18 PM   
RViener

Erik, Can you give me an idea of what issues you are still working on for the 1.04b3?
Bob Viener

(in reply to SiempreCiego)
Post #: 164
RE:1.0.4 Public Beta 2 strange refuelling - 4/23/2010 1:26:34 PM   
visor172

Hi Erik,

thx for your work first.

I have some strange probs with refuelling in middle game time.

Some, now more, ships are travelling to one special moon for refuelling also without any fuel so they are slowed.

For example they stand near a grand star base but travveling at a long distance to this special moon only for refuelling. I can do what I want they go with slowed speed to this special moon. I rght click refuel at nearest place or refuel at nearest space station, doesnt matter they go tho this special moon for refueling with slowed speed.

I produce 4 troop transports at the grand star base at my home world. When they were finish the leave the base with only a little fuel and fly directly to this special moon far away with slowed speed after having consumted the last rest of fuel.

If I give fleets order to refuel at nearest space port or from the fleet screen they also go to this special moon.

Do I have a rebellion against me or are there any special drugs at this moon? :))

In this way I cannot manage my fleets, they all heading to this monn or maybe other places if they are out of fuel,

Any ideas?

Visor

(in reply to SiempreCiego)
Post #: 165
RE: RE:1.0.4 Public Beta 2 strange refuelling - 4/23/2010 1:28:33 PM   
visor172

some more infos.....

I work with the ctrl Key too, trying to override maybe former commands, disband fleets, give orders to single ships.....nothing work they travel to other places for refueling

(in reply to visor172)
Post #: 166
RE: RE:1.0.4 Public Beta 2 strange refuelling - 4/23/2010 2:41:31 PM   
sbach2o

quote:

ORIGINAL: visor172

some more infos.....

I work with the ctrl Key too, trying to override maybe former commands, disband fleets, give orders to single ships.....nothing work they travel to other places for refueling

Have you made sure that there are more appropriate, closer places for refueling? Look for any place that has enough unclaimed fuel of the correct type to serve at least one of the ships which are refusing to go there in preference of that moon.

And you might upload a save game to matrix' FTP server.

< Message edited by sbach2o -- 4/23/2010 2:44:03 PM >

(in reply to visor172)
Post #: 167
RE: RE:1.0.4 Public Beta 2 strange refuelling - 4/23/2010 3:08:46 PM   
Litjan

quote:

ORIGINAL: visor172

Some, now more, ships are travelling to one special moon for refuelling also without any fuel so they are slowed.

Visor

Did you check what kind of fuel they need and if that is available at that starbase? Is the starbase already completed (maybe still under construction and not operational/damaged)?

Just some ideas.

Jan

(in reply to visor172)
Post #: 168
RE: RE:1.0.4 Public Beta 2 strange refuelling - 4/23/2010 4:22:05 PM   
Sliverine

@atlana: oh...yea i was assuming his usage was similar in context to a standard home user. The usage you described is more like a dedicated server which of course, has entirely different requirements altogether.

(in reply to Litjan)
Post #: 169
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/24/2010 1:38:59 AM   
TheSAguy

I just got this error.
No tsure what caused it:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 170
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/24/2010 1:55:32 PM   
DiggyDad

I got a big one for ya!

[image][/image]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TheSAguy)
Post #: 171
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/24/2010 2:16:05 PM   
DiggyDad

Actually, the strange thing for me is I never got a crash until 1.04beta, go figure. It is a beta though.

(in reply to DiggyDad)
Post #: 172
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/24/2010 11:14:58 PM   
Erik Rutins

Just a quick note for you all regarding the update status. First, thank you for all your reports, both on bugs and on the balance of the economy.

We undertook a further overhaul of the economy in response to some of the results we say, including how the private sector handles its own assets and how the AI makes some economic decisions. This build is currently in internal testing. We are going to spend the next few days testing that further and fixing the rest of the 1.0.4-related bugs and crashes before releasing 1.0.4 Beta 3. I would expect that on Monday or Tuesday at this point, with an official release by the end of next week, with any luck.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 4/24/2010 11:16:07 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to DiggyDad)
Post #: 173
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/25/2010 12:59:44 AM   
freeboy

do you recomend b2 or b1?

Post #: 174
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/25/2010 4:48:19 AM   
taltamir

b2 is better than b1.
I am waiting for b3 for now.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 175
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/25/2010 10:22:03 AM   
Bubblewrap

Does anyone know if the shipdesign images are all PNGs now?  In images\units\ships\family4 there were still some BMPs in 1.03. I don't have 1.04 installed, so i can't check it...

Post #: 176
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/25/2010 1:39:17 PM   
Igard

Bubblewrap, the BMPs are still in the family4 folder. Don't know when they plan to update this.

(in reply to Bubblewrap)
Post #: 177
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/26/2010 8:21:36 AM   
lancer

Goodaye Eric,

I'm thinking of doing a detailed AAR and was wondering if Beta 1.04 v3 is going to require a new game in order to make the most of the new economic balancing?

Eg. If I want a galaxy that will go the distance do I need to wait till the official 1.04 or can I go ahead with what's here now?

Cheers,
Lancer

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 178
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/26/2010 12:38:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

I would wait for Beta 3 personally, or 1.0.4 official as Beta 2 is very much a work in progress.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 179
RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available - 4/26/2010 2:09:55 PM   
atlana

i encountered a strange behavior, or rather lacking of a behavior;

I use one of my cruisers (usually the only one at the beginning of the game ) in the beginning to roam the galaxy by hand, to investigate "strange things/coords" that pirates sell me, or that ruins tell me about.

And it happened with the 1.04 Beta 2 more than thrice that around an abandoned starbase in the middle of nowhere, that have some derelict ships floating in a non-warp zone, that i can not take ownership of them all, as it usually happens when approaching them.

Bug or design?

I got a save-game if wanted.

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds 1.0.4 Public Beta Now Available Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI