Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 7:34:58 PM   
Gertjan

Thank you for another update and continued support. I havent had the time to play the most recent update yet. You are going to fast ;) (I must admit I was on a short holiday)

(in reply to cmdrnarrain)
Post #: 91
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 7:48:00 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Just uploaded the 1.0.4.8 Public Beta, with one more bug fix since 1.0.4.7.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 92
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 7:49:38 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Just uploaded the 1.0.4.8 Public Beta, with one more bug fix since 1.0.4.7.

Regards,

- Erik

wow.. that was quick!

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 93
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 8:21:12 PM   
Astorax

What was the fix?

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 94
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 9:26:24 PM   
Igard

It's getting hard to keep up with you guys.

Erik, would it be possible to highlight or post a separate message outlining the changes/fixes? It's easier for those who are experiencing bugs to see what's been fixed.

Thanks again.

(in reply to Astorax)
Post #: 95
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 9:43:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

Sorry, the only change from 1.0.4.7 is item 13 in the bug fixes list, the one where fleet retrofitting could get stuck.

We expect 1.0.4.8 to likely be the final official version barring any severe issues showing up in the feedback from the public. A lot more is coming in 1.0.5 but we want to get this out there first to take care of some of the loose ends in the 1.0.4 official update.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 96
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 9:55:45 PM   
TypoNinja

quote:

Game Balance Changes:

1. Capped maximum total corruption at a colony to 75%, including a 50% cap on Empire-level corruption (the rest comes from local and distance factors).

This appears to be addressing the issue of corruption killing your empire as it grows, however I have to wonder if the drop from 80 to 75% is sufficient?

Also, without tweaks to local and distance factors (My capital is currently at 77% for example) We're just going to end up with an empire full of 75% corruption. This will not help. merely push back the size of the empire before it grinds to a halt under its own weight.

I think its the empire corruption value which is killing the system here and making it scale poorly, base everything on local factors/distance to capital, without a global value. This will mean that a colony will always make you more money than not having that colony, but as your empire expands each new one will make you less as it gets further and further from your center.

Post #: 97
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 10:03:28 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: TypoNinja
This appears to be addressing the issue of corruption killing your empire as it grows, however I have to wonder if the drop from 80 to 75% is sufficient?

In our testing, yes, and the 75% cap is harder to reach. This is not the only piece of the puzzle either - the AI/automation improvements and how the private sector handles itself when in the red are all much better as far as their effect on the economy as of these beta updates.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to TypoNinja)
Post #: 98
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 11:05:45 PM   
jscott991

I'm the biggest opponent of having any corruption in the game at all, but if the devs refuse to balance the economy using more player-friendly means, then even I have to admit that 75% is probably a better cap than 70% and so on. It does seem to allow most empires to continue to produce money even with 300 or more worlds. 70% would probably put too much money in the game. There are much better ways to accomplish this same result, however.

I also would really like to strongly request that each beta patch iteration STOP creating its own save folders. Its really quite ridiculous to have a 6, 7, and 8 when only minor bug fixes are being introduced and that directory (which is located in a really stupid place) is now hopelessly cluttered.

Post #: 99
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 11:13:11 PM   
Canute0

quote:

I also would really like to strongly request that each beta patch iteration STOP creating its own save folders. Its really quite ridiculous to have a 6, 7, and 8 when only minor bug fixes are being introduced and that directory (which is located in a really stupid place) is now hopelessly cluttered.

noone prevent you to delete all the older savegame folder.
And when a new beta patch comes out its allways better to start a new game, except you want check if a situation at an old safegame still get stuck or this kind.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 100
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/19/2010 11:17:28 PM   
jscott991

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canute

quote:

noone prevent you to delete all the older savegame folder.
And when a new beta patch comes out its allways better to start a new game, except you want check if a situation at an old safegame still get stuck or this kind.

This isn't true. 6, 7, and 8 added nothing over 5 that should require you to start a new game. 8 had one bug fix. There's no reason for a new savegame folder at all.

It's a tedious process to root out all these folders because where this savegame folder is stored (in a user, appdata folder; which, by the way, is hidden by default on Windows systems since MS doesn't want you mucking around in appdata).

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 101
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 1:22:21 AM   
taltamir

I think it should be under C:\Users\<Username>\Saved Games\Distant Worlds...
where <Username> is your windows username. This is where saved games are supposed to go in vista and win7, and where all MS games keep their saves.
the app data (aka, configuration) can stay in appdata.

that being said, its not terrible difficult to move, especially because you can move it from within the game load/save menu (since its a standard windows file open menu)... run the game, select load, it will start in the new directory, move 1 directory up, rename 1.0.4.7 to 1.0.4.8 and say "yes" when it asks if you want to merge.

As for the devs "refusing" to balance the economy in friendly means... v1.05 will have a corruption slider in game creation, allowing you to disable corruption or lower to taste.

(in reply to jscott991)
Post #: 102
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 2:32:08 AM   
Astax

Can I suggest that Colony ship designs start with at least 1 shield generator?

(in reply to cmdrnarrain)
Post #: 103
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 3:42:51 AM   
mbar

Question, are the beta patches comprehensive? I guess I just assumed they were.

@Astax
Are you same Astax as at Sin of a Solar Empire? Welcome! I always liked the Sins replays you uploaded! ( I'm mbaron888 there )

< Message edited by mbar -- 5/20/2010 3:43:27 AM >

(in reply to Astax)
Post #: 104
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 5:10:54 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Astax

Can I suggest that Colony ship designs start with at least 1 shield generator?

1 shield is not enough to protect from anything, and its price adds up when you build hundreds of colony ships, and at higher levels requires exotic materials which would cause it to stall construction (not to mention waste those materials)..

finally, shields are good for combat ships because they recharge, a colony ship though is destroyed upon colonization, which makes armor a superior tactic for it. but only if you put enough... thus there are two kinds of colony ships, the stripped down version (current auto design), and the armored kind (at least 10 armor)... an armored colony could fly through a a group of keltors and successfully colonize the planet (sure, it will take damage, but to the armor first)... armored colonies should also be set to not retreat from battle ever and evade all enemies. this will make them fly through enemies to their destination.

(in reply to Astax)
Post #: 105
RE: New 1.0.4.8 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 5:29:25 AM   
TypoNinja

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TypoNinja

In our testing, yes, and the 75% cap is harder to reach. This is not the only piece of the puzzle either - the AI/automation improvements and how the private sector handles itself when in the red are all much better as far as their effect on the economy as of these beta updates.

If this is solved the problem, it would frankly be awesome, I'd love to play a game on the largest map with many many empires, but if my economy will grind to a halt less than half way through a game with only 500 stars, a 1500 star map would be out of the question.

Post #: 106
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 5:33:35 AM   
Rugby9

I have noticed in the new patches 1.04.6 - 8 that ships assigned to patrol will stop patrolling after a short period and have to be re-assigned. Is that intended? Or is it only happening to me. Re-assigning around 20 ships every couple of minutes is driving me nuts... so they say. Thanks for all your hard work and really like the game. - J

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 107
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 5:42:46 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rugby9

I have noticed in the new patches 1.04.6 - 8 that ships assigned to patrol will stop patrolling after a short period and have to be re-assigned. Is that intended? Or is it only happening to me. Re-assigning around 20 ships every couple of minutes is driving me nuts... so they say. Thanks for all your hard work and really like the game. - J

i also noticed that... it doesn't seem like they do any patrolling, they just fly to the sun and sit cancel the patrol order, sitting there idle.

(in reply to Rugby9)
Post #: 108
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 6:29:10 AM   
Astax

Yes mbar that is me. Thank you for enjoying the replays.

taltamir: I want at least 1 so that my components dont get damaged during retreat. Without any shields I get hit with anything and boom goes a component. Although I suppose one could put armor on for less cost.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 109
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 6:37:04 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Astax

Yes mbar that is me. Thank you for enjoying the replays.

taltamir: I want at least 1 so that my components dont get damaged during retreat. Without any shields I get hit with anything and boom goes a component. Although I suppose one could put armor on for less cost.

armor components ALWAYS go first.
1 shield is not enough to protect against an enemy ship.. if you put a few more, say... 4 shields, you should be able to retreat. but armor is cheaper and more effective for colony ships as they only make 1 way trips.
Also, armor protects against space monsters, shields are ignored by space monsters.

I understand where you are coming from, I am just saying that you should:
1. use armor for it instead of shields for colony ships due to their 1 way trip nature and their tendency to go through space monsters.
2. use more then 1 component unit for it
3. don't use it on the default design... on occasion it is useful, but not always.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 5/20/2010 6:39:19 AM >

(in reply to Astax)
Post #: 110
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 10:59:05 PM   
AndonSage

quote:

Has this been confirmed as a bug? And if so, was it fixed with the 1.0.4.9 patch? I'm ready to pull the trigger on buying Distant Worlds, but just wondering if this is a problem. With the next patch not due for at least another month, that's a long time to play with an irritating bug like that.

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Rugby9)
Post #: 111
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 11:42:19 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndonSage

quote:

Has this been confirmed as a bug? And if so, was it fixed with the 1.0.4.9 patch? I'm ready to pull the trigger on buying Distant Worlds, but just wondering if this is a problem. With the next patch not due for at least another month, that's a long time to play with an irritating bug like that.

honestly I have never had to actually use the patrol system command. I just tell a ship to move into a system and turn on automation, it will engage all enemies in the system then.

(in reply to AndonSage)
Post #: 112
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/20/2010 11:52:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

This beta has been superceded by the 1.0.4.9 official update.

As Taltamir said above, the patrol system issue is a minor issue in terms of the game. I haven't had a chance to duplicate it yet, but it is extremely easy to ignore if it's broken. The next beta update, which will be the first 1.0.5 series update, should be available by mid-June.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 5/20/2010 11:53:58 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 113
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/21/2010 12:13:13 AM   
Shark7

quote:

This beta has been superceded by the 1.0.4.9 official update.

As Taltamir said above, the patrol system issue is a minor issue in terms of the game. I haven't had a chance to duplicate it yet, but it is extremely easy to ignore if it's broken. The next beta update, which will be the first 1.0.5 series update, should be available by mid-June.

Given the rate of updates to this point, the 1.0.5 update sounds like some big changes may be in store. This should prove interesting.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 114
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/21/2010 12:23:35 AM   
AndonSage

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

honestly I have never had to actually use the patrol system command. I just tell a ship to move into a system and turn on automation, it will engage all enemies in the system then.

quote:

As Taltamir said above, the patrol system issue is a minor issue in terms of the game. I haven't had a chance to duplicate it yet, but it is extremely easy to ignore if it's broken.

Thanks for the replies. My birthday present game has come down to a choice between 1) Distant Worlds, or 2) Arsenal of Democracy (from Paradox) and MOO/MOO2 & MoM (from Good Old Games). Decisions, decisions...

"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

Post #: 115
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/21/2010 12:27:00 AM   
taltamir

quote:

MOO/MOO2 & MoM

Those are some really good old games :)

(in reply to AndonSage)
Post #: 116
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/21/2010 12:59:46 AM   
Athalian

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndonSage

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

quote:

As Taltamir said above, the patrol system issue is a minor issue in terms of the game. I haven't had a chance to duplicate it yet, but it is extremely easy to ignore if it's broken.

Thanks for the replies. My birthday present game has come down to a choice between 1) Distant Worlds, or 2) Arsenal of Democracy (from Paradox) and MOO/MOO2 & MoM (from Good Old Games). Decisions, decisions...

I LOVE GOG :D

What do you mean you have to choose? :(

I would take distant worlds! But thats me, didnt much care for the MOO game. Arsenal of Democracy, well, do you have enourmous amounts of time? If you are like me and love to micromanage, AoD is goin to take loads of time. Only tried HoI2, but they are sort of the same. Countless hours wasted playing that one ^^ Still would go for DW as im in my sci-fi phase, waiting for expansion to hoi3 and i really like the part of seperate economy for private and the govt, not to mention more of a time span :)

(in reply to AndonSage)
Post #: 117
RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available - 5/21/2010 1:14:43 PM   
AndonSage

quote:

ORIGINAL: Athalian

What do you mean you have to choose? :(

Unfortunately, I'm on disability, so my finances are rather tight, and I can't afford to spend very much on a game. DW is $40, and AoD + MOO/MOO2 + MoM totals $26 (AoD is on sale at Gamersgate for $14). So it's DW or the others.

My only concern with DW is the bugs (I've been following DW since release), and I'm hoping the 1.0.4.9 patch takes care of any remaining game-breaking bugs. As long as I don't see any bad bugs posted today or tomorrow, I'll probably end up buying DW on Sunday :)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Athalian

I would take distant worlds! But thats me, didnt much care for the MOO game. Arsenal of Democracy, well, do you have enourmous amounts of time? If you are like me and love to micromanage, AoD is goin to take loads of time. Only tried HoI2, but they are sort of the same. Countless hours wasted playing that one ^^ Still would go for DW as im in my sci-fi phase, waiting for expansion to hoi3 and i really like the part of seperate economy for private and the govt, not to mention more of a time span :)

I enjoyed playing HoI2/DD/Arma, and would love to play in 1920 x 1200 resolution with AoD :) I had to wait for AoD to get several patches, too, and it looks like their 1.04 patch fixed up most of the problems at release. I prefer MOO2 over MOO, but GOG sells them together for $6, so you get both. MoM would be fun to play again, but with Elemental: War of Magic coming out in September, I should probably just save up for that game :)

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 118
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: New 1.0.4.6 Public Beta Update Available Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI