Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 5/23/2010 3:52:50 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
I'm open to ideas, suggestions and demands. Lemme know what you'd like to see in the output and I'll see what I can do.

Here are a couple of off the wall ones, these are a bit more work...

Since it has the coordinates of the battle, you could stitch together a movie, or a set of maps which would show things like the major battles over time, or the battles where large numbers of tanks were lost, etc. In other words, you could annotate your movies with more information on the combats, showing things like only combats with over 25% of one side's units lost, etc.

Or your own after battle map where you could click on the battles and see what the results were. There's no automatic way of getting them from your opponent for PBEM, but you could do a replay system for your attacks over the war.

Ralph

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 31
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 5/24/2010 5:50:49 AM   
Silvanski

quote:

White on Green looks better than black on white.

I'd like a darker shade of green, easier on the eyes, but that's just personal preference

The TOAW Redux Dude

Post #: 32
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 5/24/2010 5:55:13 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama
Depending on what this can do, why not leave it up to the user as to what information is shown?

Hey, that's a good idea. I'll see what kind of parameters we'll need to put together some different ways to display the output.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama
If you can do a check box list have the user check off what they want to see then spit out the results. You could make this very flexible.

If you mean a checkbox that you can see on your screen to click your mouse on then you're talking about a diffferent kind of program than this one is so far. I have written a "console" type of program that runs inside an "MS-DOS" window. To put together a program that has checkboxes and stuff I'd have to almost start over and include what I've put together so far into it somehow. Not too messy just time consuming. I'll see what I can do.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 33
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 5/24/2010 6:04:42 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
Since it [the input file(s)]has [have] the coordinates of the battle, you could stitch together a movie, or a set of maps which would show things like the major battles over time, or the battles where large numbers of tanks were lost, etc. In other words, you could annotate your movies with more information on the combats, showing things like only combats with over 25% of one side's units lost, etc.

You're correct in that this would be a little bit more work. But I think maybe it's doable. The problem is that I can't read the *.sce file to get a representation of the map somehow. The user [me probably] would have to do a cut and paste of TOAW while it's running the scenario and use THAT as the map. And that might cause some slightly off-center pasting of the battle images so that a battle that took place at [8,10] on the map might get displayed at [9,11] or something like that. So getting the map 'right' might take several iterations. But I like the idea.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick
Or your own after battle map where you could click on the battles and see what the results were. There's no automatic way of getting them from your opponent for PBEM, but you could do a replay system for your attacks over the war.

I had several AARs where the battles were displayed when you clicked on the location where it occured but putting together such an AAR took about two days and Dave got ansy for my moves. After a couple of "where's your moves" emails I decided that perhaps it's not all that important that my readers get to look over the battle results. But it was cool for a while. I could probably put out some kind of script that another program could use as input ( as well as the cut-and-paste map talked about in answer #1 above would also be in the input category ) so that the battles could be depicted on the screen and the user could click on the location and another window might open showing the losses of the various equipment types. Lots of possibilities are coming to mind. I'll see what I can do.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 5/24/2010 6:06:17 AM >

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 34
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 5/24/2010 6:16:48 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski
I'd like a darker shade of green, easier on the eyes, but that's just personal preference

How about yellow on purple??

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 35
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 5/24/2010 2:51:08 PM   
Panama

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski

How about yellow on purple??

my eyes, MY EYES, AGHHHHHHH

When reading the brain prefers something with less contrast so the reading becomes more important than preservation of sight.

Black on white is the norm. Black on a very pale yellow or off white. Anything without a lot of contrast like yellow on purple, red on black, blue on green. Stuff like that is a lot of contrast.

< Message edited by Panama -- 5/24/2010 3:19:42 PM >

Post #: 36
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 5/24/2010 10:31:52 PM   
L`zard

What Panama said!!!!

(my ghod! ASPIRIN!)

"I have the brain of a genius, and the heart of a little child! I keep them in a jar under my bed."

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 37
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 5/25/2010 12:41:20 PM   
parzival

Just a suggestion: any possibilities to get the sound of katyusha to rocket artillery?

< Message edited by parzival -- 5/25/2010 12:42:28 PM >

Post #: 38
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 5/31/2010 7:12:51 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: parzival
Just a suggestion: any possibilities to get the sound of katyusha to rocket artillery?

Yiu can probably do that per scenario, although I'm not sure how without some research. There is a SAM audio already, so there should be some way to tell it to use the SAM audio file, and replace it with something else. It's probably keyed off the unit icon, so that would be a simple way to get the SAM audio at least.

You can override the audio on a per scenario basis too, although I believe that the mechanism is a bit different from graphic files. Let me know if anyone is interested in how to do this after 3.4 is out. I believe that you can simply set the scenario year to a specific year, and create special audio for that year. I didn't follow the same method that's used by the graphics files since I don't expect the same number of designers wanting to customize the audio.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to parzival)
Post #: 39
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 5/31/2010 7:27:16 PM   
ralphtricky

BTW, is you're into the audio, it's now in stereo . I set the direction for the sound to come more from the left or right speaker depending on where the unit is on the screen. You can listen to a rail unit going from one side of the screen to the other now. It's been a while since I implemented it, but I believe that it's independent, so each sound could come from a different direction. You can also set the background and foreground volume to different levels. It may help immersion for some people.']

You can also adjust the brightness and contrast of the screen, although I haven't played with that a while lot.

Post #: 40
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/2/2010 7:10:00 AM   
larryfulkerson

So um.......I've found some spare time and re-wrote the Losses Charter program so that it has a GUI "window" to view while you're running the program. It's in Java still so you'll need the Java-run-time on your machine to run it. The attached file needs to have the ".txt" dropped off the end of the file name so that it's a zip file. Inside the Zip file is the executable "Losses Charter.jar" and 8 of the input files that Ralph supplied me with and a sample output file. Lemme know if you have any problems running it or maybe a suggestion for improvement. So far I haven't yet implemented a way to change the color of the [fore / back ] ground but I will. But at least it will read all of the input files you select and process them all. And you get to choose the output file name and where it's supposed to be written. I'd show you a picture of the output but it's similar to the output seen above ( except it's no longer yellow on purple ).

Attachment (1)

Post #: 41
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/4/2010 4:33:19 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a picture of the Losses Charter up and running with the color chooser dialog open to show the colors that are available. I just chose 15 of the most popular ones to use here.....it's customizable what color you can have for the foreground and background now. This one is the South Vietnamese colors.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 42
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/4/2010 5:49:39 PM   
Bamilus

Awesome job, Larry!

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

Post #: 43
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/6/2010 12:08:17 PM   
pionier

Will it be today??? 

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 44
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/7/2010 6:05:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

so um.........I got busy and did a version of the losses charter program that will output a barchart kind of display so you can get at a glance which of the equipment types had the highest proportion of losses. I'm thinking of re-writing this application so it's an applet so that users can go to my site...upload their file and get the barchart output on their browser. Which can then be saved to a file or whatever.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pionier)
Post #: 45
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/7/2010 6:13:56 PM   
pionier

Sounds verry verry good.#

Would you like to think about following things: Make it possibile to make a checkbox which equipment should be listet?
An easy option would be also something like a limit (Show only Equipment with at least X (exsample: X>200) on map?)

Whats about a sum? like Overall tanks, overall Airplanes ? This would be the two most important I think.

regard

pio

Post #: 46
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/7/2010 10:07:23 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: pionier
Would you like to think about following things: Make it possibile to make a checkbox which equipment should be listet?
An easy option would be also something like a limit (Show only Equipment with at least X (exsample: X>200) on map?)
Whats about a sum? like Overall tanks, overall Airplanes ? This would be the two most important I think.

Hey those are really good ideas. I'll get to work on them right now. Thanks for your input.

EDIT: I decided to post the source code to the Losses Charter program in case anybody wants to look it over. It's not much but it works.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/8/2010 2:35:22 AM >

(in reply to pionier)
Post #: 47
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/9/2010 2:04:00 AM   
morleron1225

Hi Ralph,
   I realize that it's likely too late to do anything about this but could you possibly move the initial position of the cursor on the "Air Unit Report" screen a few pixels to the left.    As it is now the screen comes up with the cursor sitting on the left edge of the "Air Staff Assistant" toggle button and I've inadvertently pressed that by mistake a couple of times.  It can be a real PITA to go through and have to manually change all of one's air units back to whatever they were prior to the button being pushed - especially for large scenarios such as FITE.  Anyway, I just thought I'd get this off my chest and maybe on to the Wishlist for next time around.

Ron

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.
GnuPG public key available at: pgp.mit.edu

Post #: 48
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/9/2010 3:05:03 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: morleron1
Hi Ralph,
   I realize that it's likely too late to do anything about this but could you possibly move the initial position of the cursor on the "Air Unit Report" screen a few pixels to the left.    As it is now the screen comes up with the cursor sitting on the left edge of the "Air Staff Assistant" toggle button and I've inadvertently pressed that by mistake a couple of times.  It can be a real PITA to go through and have to manually change all of one's air units back to whatever they were prior to the button being pushed - especially for large scenarios such as FITE.  Anyway, I just thought I'd get this off my chest and maybe on to the Wishlist for next time around.

Ron

It's in for the next patch. If we have to do another code change for this patch, it may make it in. I can see where that might be frustrating.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to morleron1225)
Post #: 49
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/9/2010 12:53:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Would you like to think about following things: Make it possibile to make a checkbox which equipment should be listet? An easy option would be also something like a limit (Show only Equipment with at least X (example: X>200) on map?)

Yes, this option is possible. I could open a dialog window where the user could check/uncheck whatever type of equipment he/she wants listed in the output. Those left unchecked could be excluded from the output. One minor catch to this scheme is the number of equipment types. At last count there were about 256 different types of equipment and each and every one of them would have to be listed in the dialog I open to the user....which might make a huge dialog panel....unless it's a tabbed type of dialog where the different tabs have different types of equipment on them. Cool idea by the way, thanks for your input.

quote:

This option is going to require some work on my part. The problem is that the program has no idea what kind of equipment is "airplane" or "tank" without some input file or hard-coded verbage in the program to designate which equipment types are "airplanes" and so on. It's doable but time-consuming. I'll get busy on this right now.

quote:

Something else that just occurred to me: are the bar chart reports going to be "historical"? In other words, will they show losses per item per turn of the game?

Maybe you could give folks the option to click on a particular item and have that expand to show the losses per turn. That would avoid generating a huge report with one line per turn for each inventory item but would still allow the player to get that level of detail if he wants.

I like the idea of being able to click on a particular item and have a new web page open showing the detail(s) for that item. The problem is that the item you click on ( in an html webpage ) is going to
have to be an anchor ( <a href="someother html page.html"></a> ) and that anchor needs to point to the next web page to open which implies that there would have to be another new output file for THAT detailed info to be displayed. Which could be each of the different equipment types. So we could end up with some 200 output files from each program run. Which isn't a showstopper....I could group all the various html files in a new directory that is programmatically created or something.

Alternately, we could just put the output in a table ( or a list or something ) to be shown in a dialog window that opens before the output is written to a file. The user could then click on any of the entries in the list or table and get another dialog window open to show the details on that item. With the option to print the details or not I suppose.

(in reply to pionier)
Post #: 50
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/11/2010 2:52:25 PM   
parzival

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

Awesome job, Larry!

Did u get a ban on PI forums cause u are a refugee?

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 51
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/11/2010 3:27:02 PM   
ralphtricky

Larry,
I don't remember if 3.2 has the equipment.eqp file, but you can use the one from 3.4. It contains a list of all the equipment with separators for the equipment type. It's an XML file.

Let me know if you don't have a copy.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

Post #: 52
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/11/2010 5:04:44 PM   
Bamilus

quote:

quote:

Awesome job, Larry!

My 2007 account was banned but not my 2004 account. This isn't the time or place to discuss the rampant moderator abuse that goes on there (especially for customers who have supported that company for over 7 years and hundreds of dollars). Needless to say it is not a healthy posting environment.

(in reply to parzival)
Post #: 53
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/11/2010 5:36:32 PM   
parzival

quote:

quote:

quote:

Awesome job, Larry!

My 2007 account was banned but not my 2004 account. This isn't the time or place to discuss the rampant moderator abuse that goes on there (especially for customers who have supported that company for over 7 years and hundreds of dollars). Needless to say it is not a healthy posting environment.

I know that this is not a proper place but I still want to say that I have also been wondering their moderation policy. One of my friends with whom I have been playing multiplayer games was also banned there recently. He didnt post there anything that would have been against their forum rules. He wrote a detailed post where he explicitly revealed all the problems that the new HOI III extension Semper Fi has and all the bugs and flaws that still remain in HOI III even after this extension. And because of this he got a ban. It is very pathetic from them that they cannot stand justified criticism and that they ban people who havent broken their forum rules.

EDIT:I have heard rumours that PI is in difficult financial situation and that is maybe why they dont want that the truth about the problems in their games is revealed. And I dont wonder at all that they have financial problems because no one wants to buy their games when they are released because they are so horrible at first release. Everyone buys them later when they can get them cheaper.

< Message edited by parzival -- 6/11/2010 5:43:02 PM >

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 54
RE: TOAW 3.4 Losses Charter Program - 6/12/2010 2:49:02 AM   
Bamilus

quote:

I know that this is not a proper place but I still want to say that I have also been wondering their moderation policy. One of my friends with whom I have been playing multiplayer games was also banned there recently. He didnt post there anything that would have been against their forum rules. He wrote a detailed post where he explicitly revealed all the problems that the new HOI III extension Semper Fi has and all the bugs and flaws that still remain in HOI III even after this extension. And because of this he got a ban. It is very pathetic from them that they cannot stand justified criticism and that they ban people who havent broken their forum rules.

EDIT:I have heard rumours that PI is in difficult financial situation and that is maybe why they dont want that the truth about the problems in their games is revealed. And I dont wonder at all that they have financial problems because no one wants to buy their games when they are released because they are so horrible at first release. Everyone buys them later when they can get them cheaper.

They've banned a lot of people for no apparent reason. The list includes long time members and even the leaders of huge and successful mod projects. Many people got fed up and that's why most large mods for PI games have separate websites/forums.

The HoI3 forums are policed like a Soviet state. You can't say anything bad about the game or they will delete your post for "trolling." Not to mention that it is not uncommon for Johan and the other PI staff to frequently ridicule members and make absurdly arrogant posts.

PI was once a good company. But those days are long (very long) gone.

(in reply to parzival)
Post #: 55
RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes - 7/5/2010 9:39:35 PM   
hoerbinator

Hello Ralph!

I would like to make a few suggestions for an update (if there should be another one).
I think it would be a good feature not only to scroll the map, but also kind of "jump" a full-screen, eg using Page up/down for vertical and Pos1/End for lateral movements of the map. Scrolling large maps is very time consuming.
It would also be great to put one (or more) markers on the map, to where it should be possible to jump.
In particular it would be great if we could draw directly on the map, for example where the player wants to build a front line and what units he wants to place there. This could be achieved by using a layer similar to the weather layer.
It would be useful if the player could select several units at once which could then receive several orders simultaneously, eg all selected units get the orders to dig in and to ignore losses.
I think this would save time, improve the usability of the game and reduce mouse clicks, but I don't know how difficult this would be to implement.

Thank you very much for supporting this excellent game

Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: TOAW 3.4 Interface changes Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI