Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Cancelling the Tony Program

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Cancelling the Tony Program Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/14/2010 2:52:46 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

There were several eyewitness cases in books where Zero pilots tried too many G's and ripped their wings off etc. IIRC, it usually happened when attempting abrupt recovery from high-speed dive (high-speed dive for Zero, that is)

What are these? I recall an early production Ki-43-I incident over Sumatra, but none involving Zeros.

Couple of incidents with Zeroes like this are mentioned in Bergerud's book "First Team and Guadalcanal". IIRC, one even killed quite experienced IJNAF pilot. It was not that they were not aware of danger, but got distracted (usually shot at) and tried something radical resulting pulling too many G's.

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 7/14/2010 2:53:58 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 151
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/14/2010 2:57:49 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

Couple of incidents with Zeroes like this are mentioned in Bergerud's book "First Team and Guadalcanal". IIRC, one even killed quite experienced IJNAF pilot. It was not that they were not aware of danger, but got distracted (usually shot at) and tried something radical resulting pulling too many G's.

You mean Lundstrom. I don't recall such from his volume 2. The only such incident i recall from that volume involved an inexperienced Zero pilot who was suprised by an F4F at sea level, tried to conduct a violent maneuver resulting in his wingtip touching the water, resulting in a cartwheel into the sea.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 152
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/14/2010 3:03:39 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

quote:

You mean Lundstrom. I don't recall such from his volume 2. The only such incident i recall from that volume involved an inexperienced Zero pilot who was suprised by an F4F at sea level, tried to conduct a violent maneuver resulting in his wingtip touching the water, resulting in a cartwheel into the sea.

Yea, Lundstrom. I am currently reading Bergerud "Touched by Fire" and just finished First Team and Guadalcanal so got names mixed. But unless I remember totally wrong, there were mentioned incidents where Zeros did crash because of high G manouver damage in latter. I try to dig it up if I find it.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 153
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/14/2010 7:20:33 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

2. Low wing-loading at altitude did provide more manoeuvrability. Two issues, though: higher drag so lower dive speeds, and sustained turn rate and climb depended in power to weight ratio, so if you were deficient there, you still lost out.

3. Emergency boost is fine, but was only transient. You didn't have it for very long. So endurance and range were best at some distance down from the service ceiling.

I am not such an expert of aircraft but was'nt the P47 the exact opposite of this. That is, a high wing loading aircraft that performed very well at altituded to to massive horse power as a compensating factor.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 154
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/14/2010 8:27:32 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: herwin

2. Low wing-loading at altitude did provide more manoeuvrability. Two issues, though: higher drag so lower dive speeds, and sustained turn rate and climb depended in power to weight ratio, so if you were deficient there, you still lost out.

3. Emergency boost is fine, but was only transient. You didn't have it for very long. So endurance and range were best at some distance down from the service ceiling.

I am not such an expert of aircraft but was'nt the P47 the exact opposite of this. That is, a high wing loading aircraft that performed very well at altituded to to massive horse power as a compensating factor.

The P47 had excellent specific power. This meant it rolled well, dove well, sustained a high turn rate, and climbed well. Its instantaneous turn rate was poor.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 155
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/15/2010 4:27:19 AM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

I wonder how many g's a Zero's balsa wood wings could take before being torn off.

Actually the Zero was a very strongly built aircraft and could pull more G's than most contemporary fighters. The problem with the Zero's was it's inability to absorb damage. The Zero gained much of its strength from the duraluminum skin as it was an integral part of the structure. It was one of the first fighters to be so designed. Most fighters of the day had a strong framework to which the skin was attached. In the Zero, the skin was considered part of the framework. It greatly reduced the weight of the aircraft but at a cost.

Damage to the skin of the aircraft greatly reduced the structural strength in that area. Combine that with a multitude of single-point failure (it had a total of 17 whereas the average US fighter had around 9) areas and you had an aircraft that broke apart rapidly after receiving seemingly minor damage. A good analogy would be that it was like a Formula One racer competing against a NASCAR racer in a demolition derby. One hit and you're toast.

It wasn't the amount of G's pulled that caused the wings to shed so much as it was the high speed attained in the dive. Most of the reports of Zero's shedding their wings was from an aerodynamic condition induced by high speed. The duraluminum skin on the wings was very thin, comparable to soda can in thickness, and once its Vne speed (velocity, never exceed) had been passed the skin began "wrinkling" and produced a severe vibration that caused wing failure within seconds. This speed was in the area of about 375mph. Pilots were cautioned to remain below 350mph to avoid shedding wings.

It should be noted the Wildcat had a similar issue with shedding wings but for a different reason.

Chez

< Message edited by ChezDaJez -- 7/15/2010 4:30:14 AM >

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 156
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/15/2010 6:34:45 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChezDaJez

It wasn't the amount of G's pulled that caused the wings to shed so much as it was the high speed attained in the dive. Most of the reports of Zero's shedding their wings was from an aerodynamic condition induced by high speed. The duraluminum skin on the wings was very thin, comparable to soda can in thickness, and once its Vne speed (velocity, never exceed) had been passed the skin began "wrinkling" and produced a severe vibration that caused wing failure within seconds. This speed was in the area of about 375mph. Pilots were cautioned to remain below 350mph to avoid shedding wings.

It should be noted the Wildcat had a similar issue with shedding wings but for a different reason.

Chez

Velocity increases very rapidly as your dive angle increases. That Vne would be easy to exceed at full power.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 157
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/15/2010 12:26:50 PM   
Sardaukar

One Zero prototype apparently disintegrated for that reason:

http://books.google.com.mt/books?id=KTbA_i9Y53YC&pg=PA70&dq=Zero+fighter+prototype+disintegrated&hl=en&ei=XvA-TKSHNpSF4QbamKiHCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CCYQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 158
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/15/2010 1:34:33 PM   
xj900uk

quote:

On an interesting side note, re: Manueverability factors, another one often not mentioned....cockpit size. A subtle positive attribute of the Zero was it's roomy cockpit which allowed the pilot the space to conduct violent maneuvers (this being the time before Fly-by-Wire etc etc....the roominess gave the pilot more leverage to yank the controls around). The 109 in contrast was cramped and I've read in more than one place how difficult this could make it for pilots to conduct violent maneuvers at higher G's. Its like trying to lift a heavy weight without allowing the body the room to set up for it optimally

I've logged several hours in an Me109 (both a Gustav and also the Spanish-built version) and yes I can tell you it is really cramped in there. I am a big guy and it was very difficult for me to turn my head. Twisting round to try and see who's tring to get into my 6 position was virtually impossible.
Contrast this with the Zero and Oscar (I've sat in both and ground-tested the latter) and the cockpit was very big and roomy. Also the big bubble canopy gave excellent visability so it was a lot easier to 'see the other guy' anyway.

quote:

Actually the Zero was a very strongly built aircraft and could pull more G's than most contemporary fighters. The problem with the Zero's was it's inability to absorb damage. The Zero gained much of its strength from the duraluminum skin as it was an integral part of the structure. It was one of the first fighters to be so designed. Most fighters of the day had a strong framework to which the skin was attached. In the Zero, the skin was considered part of the framework. It greatly reduced the weight of the aircraft but at a cost.

Agreed. In late 41/42 it was still going up against types that had wings made of stretched/daubed fabric (like the early HUrricane's) over a wooden or latice-metal frame. Agree 100% that the Zero's gained an advantage by having the duraluminium skin which took a lot of the structural loads, worked fine until you hit it/set fire to it. However at hight speeds yes the skin started to wrinkle,a nd alos the Zero lost a lot of its manoeverability above 300+ knots anyway so most pilots knew to keep the speed down and go into a low-speed turning contest, if they got the worst of it they could simply zoom-climb out of trouble (something which very few other aircraft could do from low speeds). Same I think with the Oscar which was a brilliant climber.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 159
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/15/2010 2:35:40 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

Chez

As did the P-38 (again for a different reason) Agreed. Going too fast for any airframe (insert reason) can cause structural failure. The Zero airframe itself however was not "weak"

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 160
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/16/2010 6:48:43 PM   
JWE

quote:

As did the P-38 (again for a different reason) Agreed. Going too fast for any airframe (insert reason) can cause structural failure. The Zero airframe itself however was not "weak"

You know, it’s interesting that exactly the same thing happens to modern high-performance racing sailboats. Their keels don’t fall off – straight-line structural integrity is thousands of times more than an aircraft, but still … once you hit boundary separation, the stress goes up hyper velocity; and the Reynolds difference between water and air is pretty big. I’ve seen keels totally stripped down to the epoxy after a gnarly breezy ocean race.

Next time you go sailing, and hear that sweet little huummm coming from down below when you are at hull speed for the conditions, just ask yourself – golly, instead of a bullet-proof brick of lead covered by epoxy, what would happen if it were just a skin on a frame?

Fiziks is wicked cool stuff.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 161
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/18/2010 9:37:23 PM   
ChezDaJez

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

You know, it’s interesting that exactly the same thing happens to modern high-performance racing sailboats. Their keels don’t fall off – straight-line structural integrity is thousands of times more than an aircraft, but still … once you hit boundary separation, the stress goes up hyper velocity; and the Reynolds difference between water and air is pretty big. I’ve seen keels totally stripped down to the epoxy after a gnarly breezy ocean race.

Next time you go sailing, and hear that sweet little huummm coming from down below when you are at hull speed for the conditions, just ask yourself – golly, instead of a bullet-proof brick of lead covered by epoxy, what would happen if it were just a skin on a frame?

Fiziks is wicked cool stuff.

Didn't Australia have one of their 10 meter boats sink during a race because the hull cracked in half? I think that was in the 90's.

Chez

Ret Navy AWCS (1972-1998)
VP-5, Jacksonville, Fl 1973-78
ASW Ops Center, Rota, Spain 1978-81
VP-40, Mt View, Ca 1981-87
Patrol Wing 10, Mt View, CA 1987-90
ASW Ops Center, Adak, Ak 1990-92
NRD Seattle 1992-96
VP-46, Whidbey Isl, Wa 1996-98

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 162
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/19/2010 6:07:08 PM   
JWE

quote:

Didn't Australia have one of their 10 meter boats sink during a race because the hull cracked in half? I think that was in the 90's.

Chez

Oh, yeah. One Australia (the hot 2nd design). In San Diego in a challenge race against the Kiwis. Broke right in half just behind the keel. Structural failure from an accident, they said. And it was blowing 20 and there was some wave periodicity. Maybe some accident related stress damage in the carbon fiber, but the forestay and backstay just pulled up those ends and bent her in two like a banana. Keel integrity was still good, judging from the location of the break and it was still attached because she went down like a rock.

Kinda like what would happen if an airliner fuselage decided to break at the trailing edge of the wing root.

< Message edited by JWE -- 7/19/2010 6:08:14 PM >

(in reply to ChezDaJez)
Post #: 163
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/20/2010 12:25:22 PM   
Schatten

pushing aside the reality and back to game.

in my first game i went streight for armor fighter´s as j-player.
i reach the Ki-43-IIb very fast (begin ´43) only to see that is was not a bit better in fighter v fighter combat as the unarmored one´s....as soon a ally fighter has shoot them from behind they were shoot down.
it looks they perform a bit better agains 4E-Bombers in term that they only got damaged and not shoot down by them^^

now i have seen something strange..in the air battles betwen my and ally fighters around Port Moresby my Oscars and Zeros have fight mainly Kittyhawks and P-40E´s.
at one day the computer has had 1 Unit of P-43 Lancer here and something strange has start...those Lancer (that were in reality crap) were not better as the other Fighter in attack...but not one was shoot down from them...not by Oscar´s IIb and not by Zero´s with their 20mm Cannons...they were all only damaged and dived away...all planes the Unit has lost were crashed at return/landing or written off.

i have look closer and see they have no armor but their durability was higher as the one of the Kittyhawks and P-40E´s....

so in game terms it means armor dont help much if ever in a fighter combat but durability is all to avoid losses by shoot down....and this is exactly what nearly all Japanese Fighters lack heavily even if they have armor.

this menas that in gmae you should prefer the more durable fighters even if they have no armor.

and this bring us that one should prefer the Tojo and Tony fighters (until finally the Frank´s availiable) even without armor over all other....they of course have only short range so mayby few untis with Oscar´s should stay but mainforce should be the durable Fighter´s.

same for IJN Fighter´s but here you see a better durability as soon A6M5 is availiable, they have no armor but nearly as durable as ´42 Ally Fighters and player like them....the later ones and the George´s hit the 30 durability mark.

so in short...if you plan you fighter force as japanese player look not for the armor fighters but for the series with high durability to speed up in research.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 164
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/20/2010 1:26:01 PM   
LoBaron

My guess is the inline engines.
Radial engines were more damage resistent and this is reflected in the durability.

(in reply to Schatten)
Post #: 165
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/20/2010 11:54:00 PM   
Kwik E Mart

ahhh....more musings on the black box A2A model i see....how surprised would we all be if we really knew what was going on in the code....attacker gets one die per airplane....defender gets one die per airplane....alt advantage wins ties....

edit: kant spel wurth a krapp...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 166
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/21/2010 5:46:16 AM   
LoBaron

Nah I was not commenting anything about the code or the conclusion Schatten was coming to.

Don´t read more into comments than there is. Durability is not code, its just a variable.

The Air team had to base some values on certain attributes of an airframe. The Elf wrote about the different reasons for assigning +1 service rating for
planes, and one of them was inline engines.
The same musings can be made about which attributes influenced the distribution of durability points. Inline engines where prone to damage where
radial engines kept on ticking. So that might be the reason why the durability of the P-43 is higher than of the P-40.

What do you have against "musings of the black box whatever model"? Thats part of the fun.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 167
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/21/2010 10:07:02 AM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Nah I was not commenting anything about the code or the conclusion Schatten was coming to.

Don´t read more into comments than there is. Durability is not code, its just a variable.

The Air team had to base some values on certain attributes of an airframe. The Elf wrote about the different reasons for assigning +1 service rating for
planes, and one of them was inline engines.
The same musings can be made about which attributes influenced the distribution of durability points. Inline engines where prone to damage where
radial engines kept on ticking. So that might be the reason why the durability of the P-43 is higher than of the P-40.

What do you have against "musings of the black box whatever model"? Thats part of the fun.

sorry, Lo...didn't mean to single you out...my comment was meant generally for the whole thread...i just find it interesting all the conjecture and hypothesizing...it is fun up to a point....then it's just annoying and tedious...

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 168
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/21/2010 12:09:07 PM   
LoBaron

I see what you mean.

On the other hand the interesting thing about such threads is that the topic concerned changes. So you
don´t see anything of interest and then suddently after a couple of weeks you read through it and find one gem or the other.

Most topics that have been discussed anyway long ago drop very fast if there is a general agreement. If not it becomes a 10 pager with all the twists and off topics that come with it.

When I think about where this thread has gone from "cancelling the tony program"...

Post #: 169
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/21/2010 7:14:01 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

I see what you mean.

On the other hand the interesting thing about such threads is that the topic concerned changes. So you
don´t see anything of interest and then suddently after a couple of weeks you read through it and find one gem or the other.

Most topics that have been discussed anyway long ago drop very fast if there is a general agreement. If not it becomes a 10 pager with all the twists and off topics that come with it.

When I think about where this thread has gone from "cancelling the tony program"...

yep...reminds me of "the bonus that shall not be mentioned" days......i do agree that there are gems to be gleaned...

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 170
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/21/2010 7:20:55 PM   
John 3rd

It has been one heck of a long-lived thread that has had many twists and turns...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 171
RE: Cancelling the Tony Program - 7/26/2010 7:22:05 PM   
herwin

I just got back from a conference in Barcelona and my new copy of Shaw (1985) Fighter Combat: Tactics and Maneuvering was waiting for me in the mail.

The primary consideration in WWII CAP was visual target acqusition. It was much easier to detect aircraft silouetted against the sky than hiding in ground clutter. The second consideration was the altitude of the targets--too high or too low meant that they could not be reached in time. The third consideration was altitude advantage, which we've already discussed here. The final consideration was endurance--for propellor aircraft, lower altitudes provided better endurance.

The preferred locations for fighter sweeps were at fighter bases and above surface battles. In fighter sweeps, the preferred altitudes were very high (defensive) and very low (offensive and air to ground). Medium altitudes were lethal, although the high element often had to chance it to protect the low element.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 172
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Cancelling the Tony Program Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI