Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/13/2010 5:52:55 PM   
Miller

Lol......Win 1-1? British?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Miller -- 6/13/2010 5:53:55 PM >

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 121
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/13/2010 7:14:04 PM   
bradfordkay

The New York Post is our equivalent of your tabloids such as the Daily Mail. 'Nuff said...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 122
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/13/2010 7:31:15 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

quote:

I would bet the Australians show up, unlike the poles in the last world cup. Funny how history repeats itself.

Well I'll be pulling for the diggers but I will be drinking my favorite German beer.

heh, I am from Munich and we call Spatenbräu ("Spade brewery") derogatory Schaufelbier ("shovel beer") and it´s generally considered as the worst beer of Munich´s brands.
Most liked beer is "Augustiner" (at least in my circle of friends).

OK, I bought a 6 pack of these. They won't be cold until the second half but is this what you were recommending?

Attachment (1)

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 123
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/13/2010 9:01:34 PM   
Mynok

These Germans look really strong.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 124
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/13/2010 9:03:24 PM   
JohnDillworth

Well, lets just say the Germans looked good and the Aussies,......not so much

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

Post #: 125
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/13/2010 9:25:39 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

These Germans look really strong.

Yes, very strong The Australians are truly weak, but... the Fußball Machine is back

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 126
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/13/2010 9:38:38 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 127
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/13/2010 10:26:08 PM   
JeffroK

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I think it was more Rommel at Tobruk June 42 rather than April 41.

We can still progress, though probably dont deserve it.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 128
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/13/2010 10:31:06 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

Warspite1

What the hell is the "British" all about? Is the editor for that newspaper so desparately short of any sense of history that he could not think of something English?

"Hey guys - I've got a great idea for a headline - it doesn't fit with the circumstances, its total nonsense, but I can't think of anything else"

"Great lets use it!"

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 129
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/13/2010 10:36:45 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Oh well, back to the drawing board.

I think it was more Rommel at Tobruk June 42 rather than April 41.

We can still progress, though probably dont deserve it.

Warspite1

Unlucky mate - hopefully you'll still make it through, but its going to be tough. Mind you wasn't June 42 the South Africans - the Aussies having been deservedly pulled out after their heroic defence in 41?

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 130
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/14/2010 12:47:52 AM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

"Hey guys - I've got a great idea for a headline - it doesn't fit with the circumstances, its total nonsense, but I can't think of anything else"

"Great lets use it!"

You've encapsulated the exact thinking of the Post on all occassions.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 131
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/14/2010 12:53:00 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Ye gods! The Germans look good. I will be surprised if they don't go 3-0 in their group.

I think it will be down to the second qualifying spot for that group unless the Germans ease up and put in the scrubs for the 2nd and 3rd games.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 132
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/14/2010 6:10:20 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

"Great lets use it!"

You've encapsulated the exact thinking of the Post on all occassions.

OTOH, not 1 in 100 Americans could articulate the difference between "English" and "British." Whether they like it over there or not, that's the way it is. Samo-samo over here.

The Moose

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 133
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/14/2010 10:05:34 AM   
cantona2

Germany was playing vs a very poor Oz. We shall see when they come across a more sterner test. Looking forward to seeing Holland today, if they can hold their infamous inhouse fighting in check they may have a chance.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 134
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/14/2010 1:21:20 PM   
morganbj

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
OTOH, not 1 in 100 Americans could articulate the difference between "English" and "British." Whether they like it over there or not, that's the way it is. Samo-samo over here.

You're wrong, Moose. I can articulate them both quite clearly. No stutter, no nuthin'.

Post #: 135
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/14/2010 7:35:04 PM   
treespider

Spent all day Saturday at the pub...missed my flight Sunday morning and spent all day in an airport on a lay over after I rescheduled my flight...People should lay off Green...its a team sport and Dempsey should never have been allowed to get off a clean shot...that being said an inch to the right and Altidore could have produced a game winner.

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 136
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/14/2010 9:45:21 PM   
TulliusDetritus

The end is near

World Cup 2010: Vuvuzelas may be on their way to the Premier League

• Vuvuzela debate likely to continue after World Cup
• Premier League would welcome the sound in England

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/jun/14/world-cup-vuvuzela-premier-league

Only a terrorist could have written this

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 137
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/14/2010 9:58:58 PM   
JamesM

Those horns in the crowd are a real blight on this world cup.  I try and watch the games but I have to turn the TV off after a while because the horns start to give me a headache.  I really hope that these things are banned from sporting events, because they will rapidly have people turning away from watching those sports that allow these things.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 138
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/14/2010 10:02:16 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

You're wrong, Moose. I can articulate them both quite clearly. No stutter, no nuthin'.

Then you're the one. The other 99 are all on "Jaywalking."

The Moose

(in reply to morganbj)
Post #: 139
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 1:34:52 AM   
aprezto

Of course I can hardly get my hopes up, but since we are there, and I am as patriotic as the next bloke, I have to add a plug for the Kiwis against Slovakia tonight. In our previous effort (at the world cup) the 'being there' was the victory. This team is a little better than that - or maybe a bit more professional. However, I can't help feeling that the best we can hope for is to score a goal and not get "Australia'd"

Image courtesy of Divepac

Post #: 140
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 3:35:59 AM   
Misconduct

Is anyone else getting way to annoyed with the south african horn the Zuzu or whatever? Holy jeez I can't even hear the commentators during a game now

ASUS Maximus IV Extreme-Z Intel Core I7 2800k Corsair Hydro Heatsink Corsair Vengeance DD3 24GB EVGA GTX 580 Western Digital 1.5TB Raid 0 Windows 7

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 141
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 4:18:01 AM   
jonreb31

quote:

ORIGINAL: Misconduct

Is anyone else getting way to annoyed with the south african horn the Zuzu or whatever? Holy jeez I can't even hear the commentators during a game now

It's the best part of the world cup...

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 142
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 5:07:36 AM   
Tomcat

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

Spent all day Saturday at the pub...missed my flight Sunday morning and spent all day in an airport on a lay over after I rescheduled my flight...People should lay off Green...its a team sport and Dempsey should never have been allowed to get off a clean shot...that being said an inch to the right and Altidore could have produced a game winner.

I agree that people make too much of Green's "error". As a coach (retired) I would argue that any goal scored against my side is the result of at least one error somewhere. By the way, the US beat England in the World Cup in 1950, and this time the game was a draw. Does that mean England is improving?

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 143
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 6:31:35 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: aprezto

Of course I can hardly get my hopes up, but since we are there, and I am as patriotic as the next bloke, I have to add a plug for the Kiwis against Slovakia tonight. In our previous effort (at the world cup) the 'being there' was the victory. This team is a little better than that - or maybe a bit more professional. However, I can't help feeling that the best we can hope for is to score a goal and not get "Australia'd"

Warspite1

Well we need one real shock result from the first round of matches - lets hope the All Whites provide it. Unfortunately Slovakia are one half of a useful footballing nation; four major finals as Czechoslovakia - two World Cup finals and two European Championship finals (Champions in 1976).

This side beat Russia in the play-offs and are a useful team, but fingers crossed - 1-0 to the All Whites, Plymouth's Rory Fallon scores with 10 minutes to go and New Zealand hold on for a famous victory.........

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 144
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 8:12:26 AM   
terje439

About England...
A "poor" opening result is kinda the way they always start, I believe they have something like 5 wins in all the WC opening matches they have played.
As to choice of goalkeeper. Well, David James sure has had his share of bad/stupid/annoying/idiotic "mishaps", however imho he is still the best English keeper on the line, and he also has some experience in bigger championships, so I think I would have gone with him...
But atleast now Beckham gets to share of his experience (as is his role in this WC). If ANYONE knows how the English press and also supporters will get on your behind after a mistake it must be him

I still have hopes, but Lampard and Gerrard MUST be able to play better together if England is to go far in this tournament.

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 145
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 10:36:11 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tomcat

quote:

ORIGINAL: treespider

I agree that people make too much of Green's "error". As a coach (retired) I would argue that any goal scored against my side is the result of at least one error somewhere. By the way, the US beat England in the World Cup in 1950, and this time the game was a draw. Does that mean England is improving?

One solution would have been to score more goals ...

(in reply to Tomcat)
Post #: 146
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 12:43:12 PM   
Nux Mortis

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nux Mortis

quote:

I would bet the Australians show up, unlike the poles in the last world cup. Funny how history repeats itself.

Well I'll be pulling for the diggers but I will be drinking my favorite German beer.

heh, I am from Munich and we call Spatenbräu ("Spade brewery") derogatory Schaufelbier ("shovel beer") and it´s generally considered as the worst beer of Munich´s brands.
Most liked beer is "Augustiner" (at least in my circle of friends).

OK, I bought a 6 pack of these. They won't be cold until the second half but is this what you were recommending?

Hey, nice find, would have never thought you can get such beer in the US :-)

It´s the same brand (Augustiner), but it´s their Maximator-Starkbier (stout). I dont like the heavy taste of stout, do you?

The "Helles" looks like this

Attachment (1)

Post #: 147
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 12:48:24 PM   
Tomcat

One thing I'm enjoying so far about this World Cup is to see some of the "upsets". I watched the physically smaller Japanese team get bounced around the field by the much larger players from Cameroon and then watched them win the game anyway. I also give credit to the teams that realistically know they have little chance against the teams from some of the FIFA "superpowers" but they take the field anyway and do their best. I also give credit to English keeper Green for dealing with the press and public after his error. Come to think of it, it would be great fun to see some of the high priced strikers offer public apologies to the fans every time they miss a shot on goal.

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 148
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 3:15:29 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Hey, nice find, would have never thought you can get such beer in the US :-)

It´s the same brand (Augustiner), but it´s their Maximator-Starkbier (stout). I dont like the heavy taste of stout, do you?

Thanks,
The stout is quite good, but not the right thing to drink on a hot day watching footlball. It is a more "serious" beer. OK, back to the beer distributer this weekend.
P.S. Nice showing by Germany

(in reply to Tomcat)
Post #: 149
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/15/2010 5:03:31 PM   
Durbik

Hooray for ties!

Ivory Coast 0:0 Portugal!

Durb's Richie Rich now! With tripled investment!

obey the fist!

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI