Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/6/2012 8:40:49 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

the two task forces met south of Tokyo for the final naval engagement of the war. The fight opened in daylight at long range and Yamato lost her radar in one of the first salvos; that was pretty much it for the battle. The big battleship went down fighting, though.

The way it should be.

The victory screen is very interesting: the Japanese were still ahead for both aircraft and troop losses. I assume that means you still had substantial aircraft and ground assets to defend against a Home Island invasion?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 271
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/6/2012 9:06:26 PM   
Canoerebel

How'd the Allies lose two strategic points?   

Congratulations to both of you for playing so long and enjoying each other's company. 

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 272
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/6/2012 10:23:14 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

the two task forces met south of Tokyo for the final naval engagement of the war. The fight opened in daylight at long range and Yamato lost her radar in one of the first salvos; that was pretty much it for the battle. The big battleship went down fighting, though.

The way it should be.

The victory screen is very interesting: the Japanese were still ahead for both aircraft and troop losses. I assume that means you still had substantial aircraft and ground assets to defend against a Home Island invasion?

I did indeed. Any invasion would have been met with lots of troops and waves of air attacks.

Here are some of the aircraft losses for the game:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 273
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/6/2012 10:27:49 PM   
Cuttlefish

Here is the list of top Japanese aces. A few of them are even still alive...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 274
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/6/2012 10:32:51 PM   
Cuttlefish

As you can see, I did not lack for good pilots. Top IJN reserve pilots:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 275
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/6/2012 10:36:16 PM   
Cuttlefish

But I did have a critical shortage of planes to put them in. IJN fighter aircraft available:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 276
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/6/2012 11:21:03 PM   
Charbroiled

Two years ago, I really wasn't looking for a new game. Work/Home life was pretty busy for me and finding an opponent whose schedule matches is difficult to do. A person usually doesn't find out that their opponent's schedule isn't real compatible until after the game is started, and by then it is usually too late. Also, there is always the problem of an opponent "disappearing" when the game starts getting into 1943.

When I saw that Cuttlefish was looking for a game, I decided to send him an offer. I knew from his reputation that "disappearing" tricks were not his style, and since he was a fellow Oregonian, I couldn't resist the opportunity. There was never a moment where I regretted my decision!

We soon found that our scheduled meshed fairly well. We were usually able to get in 2 turns on weekdays and multiple turns on weekend. This makes for a game with a very nice pace. The game is more interesting and easier to manage when the pace is decent. Also, given the fact that Cuttlefish is a very honorable, friendly, and fair opponent, I found this game to be the most enjoyable game of WITP I have played.

At the start of the game, I decided to be aggressive from the start. I wanted to hold Guadalcanal earlier and to try and hold Burma. My thinking was that if I didn't have to spend time retaking areas, that I could work towards Japan sooner and maybe take bases before they were garrisoned and their forts built up.

The Guadalcanal buildup had some unintended ramifications that I believe became the turning point of the war. I was using Suva as a "jump off point" for my buildup in the Solomons. About the time I expected Cuttlefish to start his push through the Solomons, I received a intel report that one of his divisions was prepping for Suva. After I saw the report, I couldn't get troops to Suva fast enough. Needless to say, when he tried landing at Suva he was met with a very large garrison and coastal guns. The Suva battle ended up spreading north into the Gilbert/Marshall islands where the Saratoga and the Lexington took on the KB.....and won. I lost the Lex, but sunk or damage a lot of his CVs. It wasn't an intentional battle on my part, I was just trying to get out of his way as I knew the KB was in the area. Cuttlefish zigged when I expected him to zag and our CVTFs ended up within range of each other.

The Burma gambit worked, but only because Cuttlefish wasn't very aggressive towards taking Burma. As he was moving north of Moulmein towards Rangoon, I landed a couple of Divisions at Moulmein, cutting off his main attack force. This forced him to pullback and regroup and allowed me time to garrison Burma. From there, it became a stalemate until I was strong enough to push southward. It is not a tactic that I think I could get away with a second time.

I did very little buildup in Alaska, and wish I had. Some pressure on Japan from the east late in the war would have help a lot.

Overall, I stayed ahead of historic timeline, however, in early '44 (I believe) I had stopped advancing on all fronts for about 6 months as I was regrouping and juggling troops so that the troops I needed were where they were suppose to be. This delay ended up hurting me in the long run. The delay was a direct result of poor advance planning on my part.

Somethings I learned:

- Allied Battleships have "targets" painted on this hulls.
- Allied CVEs also have "targets" painted on their hulls and it doesn't take much to sink them.
- Two allied CVs CAN take on KB and win, but I suspect they would not win very often.
- Prepping for targets is VERY important to minimize losses, especially if they will be doing amphib landings....even on an lightly garrisoned base.

Quite often, during the game, Cuttlefish was able to get a SFTF within the same hex of my CVTF, but each time, my CVTF was able to disengage.

I would post some data pictures, but they wouldn't tell much more of the story differently then the ones Cuttlefish posted, other then my top ace. My top ace was G. Boyington with 19 kills.

To Cuttlefish: Excellent game my friend! Looking forward to the rematch.

"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 277
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/7/2012 10:54:05 AM   
FatR

Thanks for the AAR, Cuttlefish. Good food for thought in these late-game events. I also see you didn't do any aircraft research at all - surviving into late 1945 without exploiting it is truly heroic.

As about the problem of saving HI for late war, that was discussed on the previous page - why not just save a stockpile of planes? Some mid-war models retain their utility until the end, like Ki-43-IIb (as a kamikaze attacker, it is far cheaper than 2E bombers) and N1K1-J.

The Reluctant Admiral mod team.

Take a look at the latest released version of the Reluctant Admiral mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

Post #: 278
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/7/2012 11:03:26 AM   
KenchiSulla

Congratulations on finishing the game!

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 279
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/7/2012 8:39:52 PM   
denisonh

Congratulations to you and Charbroiled on completing a tremendous game and sharing it with the community.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 280
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/7/2012 8:59:28 PM   
JocMeister

Congratulations to both of you! And thank you Cuttlefish for doing an AAR so we get to see a bit of the late war.

(in reply to denisonh)
Post #: 281
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/8/2012 4:14:06 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: FatR

Thanks for the AAR, Cuttlefish. Good food for thought in these late-game events. I also see you didn't do any aircraft research at all - surviving into late 1945 without exploiting it is truly heroic.

As about the problem of saving HI for late war, that was discussed on the previous page - why not just save a stockpile of planes? Some mid-war models retain their utility until the end, like Ki-43-IIb (as a kamikaze attacker, it is far cheaper than 2E bombers) and N1K1-J.

Yeah, I was being careful not to overproduce aircraft in order to conserve HI. Maybe too careful. Next time I intend to allow myself to do just what you suggest and build up more of a reserve of fighters.

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 282
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 7/10/2012 1:40:05 AM   
Chickenboy

Wow. Just found this. Thanks, Cuttlefish, for the nice write up. A must for Japanese players nearing the end of the war...

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 283
RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over - 6/10/2013 1:10:25 PM   
khyberbill

Nice game and a good fight put up by you. My opponent, Zach (Dora09), and I are up to 12/44 now and I expect the game to last at least as long as yours. A few weeks ago he stated he had about 4 million HI stockpiled so I know it will be a tough fight ahead. Zach has used his Air Force extremely well (and perhaps myself not as well), and we are playing with stacking limits which means no more death stars rolling up the ground. Next on my list is an invasion of Luzon but Zach has over 800 late war fighters in Manila!!!

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 284
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Game Over, Man...Game Over Page: <<   < prev  6 7 8 9 [10]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI