Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Base distance chart (in hexes)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Base distance chart (in hexes) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Base distance chart (in hexes) - 7/30/2002 7:33:56 PM   
Supervisor

Under "For what it's worth" department:

Attached is a zipped Excel file. On the first sheet is a chart listing all of the bases on the map (its rather large :)).

On the second sheet, only the bases that are at least 1 SPS (port or airfield) are listed (it's still fairly large, but a lot better than the first one :D).

Just something I came up with when I got tired of counting hexes. [SIZE=1](I need a job, that's my problem. :D)[/SIZE]

So, I thought maybe someone else could use it. So far, I haven't found any distances on the charts that are incorrect [SIZE=1](put legal disclaimer here: yada yada yada :p)[/SIZE].

Post #: 1
- 7/30/2002 8:30:32 PM   
jhdeerslayer

Thanks Rowlf! What is the column "across" and "down" mean?

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 2
Great - 7/30/2002 9:57:22 PM   
mariovalleemtl

Many thanks! :)

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 3
Thanks... - 7/31/2002 3:39:21 AM   
GulfXray

Thanks Rowlf! I was needing something like this and trying to figure how best to do. Answer: Wait on you!!!

Thanks
Shawn
Bartlesville, OK

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 4
- 7/31/2002 9:31:31 AM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Deerslayer
[B]Thanks Rowlf! What is the column "across" and "down" mean? [/B][/QUOTE]Hex position. xx hexes across, xx hexes down. Lunga, for example, is 38,40 (38 across, 40 down).

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 5
You Da Man! - 7/31/2002 9:40:26 AM   
denisonh

Thanks!

"Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid" -SGT John M. Stryker, USMC

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 6
How about calculating rather than counting ? - 8/1/2002 10:11:41 AM   
Bernd Hesberg

[QUOTE]snip... Just something I came up with when I got tired of counting hexes.
So far, I haven't found any distances on the charts that are incorrect [/QUOTE] Well, haven't you thought about letting Excel do all that work? The necessary data are just the position of every base (you have them) and a sufficient algorithm. You may try this one

=MAX( ABS( ColumnDifference); ABS( RowDifference))+IF( ABS( ColumnDifference)>ABS( RowDifference); ABS( RowDifference)/2; IF( ABS( ColumnDifference)>ABS( RowDifference)/2; ABS( ColumnDifference)-ABS( RowDifference)/2))

Of course, you need to substitute every occurrence of the variables 'RowDifference' and 'ColumnDifference' by their actual pairs of coordinates.
I haven't checked that for *every* possible combination. So, if there's something wrong with it, please reply.

I'd think it saves a lot of counting. Even better, it can be easily used for any other hex-based map.

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 7
Re: How about calculating rather than counting ? - 8/1/2002 2:28:21 PM   
Supervisor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernd Hesberg
[B] Well, haven't you thought about letting Excel do all that work? The necessary data are just the position of every base (you have them) and a sufficient algorithm. You may try this one

=MAX( ABS( ColumnDifference); ABS( RowDifference))+IF( ABS( ColumnDifference)>ABS( RowDifference); ABS( RowDifference)/2; IF( ABS( ColumnDifference)>ABS( RowDifference)/2; ABS( ColumnDifference)-ABS( RowDifference)/2))

Of course, you need to substitute every occurrence of the variables 'RowDifference' and 'ColumnDifference' by their actual pairs of coordinates.
I haven't checked that for *every* possible combination. So, if there's something wrong with it, please reply.

I'd think it saves a lot of counting. Even better, it can be easily used for any other hex-based map. [/B][/QUOTE]Sounds close to what I used. Actually (since I was using Quattro Pro and the formulas wouldn't translate to Excel) what I used was a nested IF statement.

Essentially it was as follows:

([I]horizontal[/I] is the absolute value of difference between the columns, [I]vertical[/I] is the absolute value of the difference between the rows, and I rounded any calculation result)

If the horizontal was less than ½ the vertical, then the distance is equal to the vertical.

Then if the vertical was 0 or 1, then the distance is equal to the horizontal.

Otherwise, the distance is equal to the horizontal + ½ the vertical.

As I said, every distance I checked worked with this logic, and I didn't find any that didn't, but I didn't check more than a random sample of all possible combinations. I may have time on my hands, but I'm not a masochist! :D

(btw: I don't have Excel. :))

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 8
- 8/2/2002 3:48:09 AM   
Bernd Hesberg

[QUOTE]snip ... but I didn't check more than a random sample of all possible combinations. I may have time on my hands, but I'm not a masochist! :D

(btw: I don't have Excel. :)) [/QUOTE] Seems to be a similar situation over here. I don't have Quattro Pro, and I'm no masochist either. :D

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 9
Very Cool! - 8/3/2002 12:48:22 PM   
von Murrin

Now, if I only had more than an hour or two a week to play... :(

(Be happy you don't have a real job :D)

I give approximately two fifths of a !#$% at any given time!

(in reply to Supervisor)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Base distance chart (in hexes) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI