Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 12:09:52 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ardryn

It seems the Dominion's third victory condition is to control 33% of all None colonies, tall order that! I guess everyone is just playing against them, hm?

wow....first post and full-court press of sarcasm. How efficient of you.and ahem,i guess welcome to the boards.

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 571
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 1:07:51 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

You're welcome TJ. As long as he's not drinking all my Romulan Ale, that's fine with me!
Just thinking here guys...
Deuterium is mainly used to power impulse engines and RCS thrusters. I think Sabre21 mentioned anti-matter?
I think I'll make these changes :-
Caslon ;Anti-matter
Tyderios ;Deuterium

That might make more sense. Any objections?

Makes sense...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 572
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 4:01:26 AM   
Ardryn

Yeah, my wit is of the desert variety; I try to reign it in around text-only areas. I meant to imply that everyone is probably playing as the Feddies/Klings/Roms, with the Dominion as a potential enemy. Something of which I was guilty of until just a few hours ago!

< Message edited by Ardryn -- 5/5/2012 4:02:48 AM >

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 573
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 4:57:50 AM   
Igard

That's how I read it. I took your post as nothing other than constructive feedback, Ardryn. Oh yes, and welcome aboard.

For some reason, we can't set the victory condition to control 33% of 'all' colonies in the galaxy. It has to be 33% of a planet type. So I changed it to continental.

OK,I've changed deuterium to replace tyderios and caslon is now Antimatter.

I've also updated all these new resources into the galactopedia.

I'll see if I can get the next total conversion update this weekend, then hopefully sort out the victory conditions and do some basic resource bonuses before releasing Picard 1.0 perhaps early next week.

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 574
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 7:17:49 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

Yeah, my wit is of the desert variety; I try to reign it in around text-only areas. I meant to imply that everyone is probably playing as the Feddies/Klings/Roms, with the Dominion as a potential enemy. Something of which I was guilty of until just a few hours ago!

Sorry,think I am a bit oversensitive on the sarcasm. LOL....... Worrynot,you have inspired me to try the Dominion! Though I really dislike those guys!

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 575
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 8:55:25 AM   
Ardryn

The Dominion is interesting, if only for being friends with the Cardies and Breen, but they're so slow compared to the Federation, the latter of which I can get to tech level 3+ all around, with most of the wonders, and controlling a large chunk of the galaxy, all less than 25 years into the game! I think the main culprit to the Dominion being slow is the fact that the "Trade with other Empires" check-box is off in the default Dom policy, which might account for significant loss of revenue. Either way, they're never terribly powerful in the games I play, even if I beef them up with excellent starting systems, and tweak them with the in-game editor. The one time I tried playing as them I wound up losing one of my starting colonies to the Son'a! Oh, the shame!
I actually gave them and the Breen +30 and 20, respectively, to colony income just now to see if that is indeed the case. The Breen actually got to around five systems before I encountered them in my latest game, whereas before they rarely got past one or two, but the Dominion got squished in the corner with the Cardies and another race.

Edit: I should mention that I get the Feddies to that state with everything on automation, just choosing what techs to go after and crash researching when I have a good surplus, all of my games so far have been on Huge/Huge, 100% colony influence range, and colony founding limit to two sectors, all other settings are normal. I do have it set to generate a dozen and a half empires, with the Dominion, Klingons, and Romulons as the only guarantees.
Or maybe the problem is the Federations compounding research bonuses.

< Message edited by Ardryn -- 5/5/2012 9:11:31 AM >

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 576
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 12:52:56 PM   
Demonius

Damn, I was just going to suggest to change Tyderios to Metreon Gas.

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 577
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 4:43:37 PM   
Igard

Ardryn, thanks for the report. The Federation are very strong at research. The problem with crash researching everything, is that the AI can't keep up with you. So take a strong research empire like the Feds, crash researching is way overpowered. If I nerf the Feds research bonus, the AI controlled Fed empire will become too weak. It's all about balance.

I'll definately look at improving Dominion income. I've gone through some old saves and it looks like they do struggle financially.

Demonius, Metreon gas is a good one! I'm not sure if it can replace anything. Krypton and Argon are of course real elements, but aren't they only used for lighbulbs? I think Argon is pretty cheap and abundant, so might be a likely candidate for replacement. Any objections to :-

Argon ;Metreon Gas

(in reply to Demonius)
Post #: 578
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 6:57:28 PM   
Demonius

That would surely work...

But lets take a step back and look at the big picture. the game uses 2 Resources for fuel purposes, Hydrogen for fusion type reactors and Caslon for the fission/quantum types. Tyderios, is described as mostly being used in Weapons, Reactor components which is the same description used for Argon. In reality Argon is quite slow to react with anything given its status as a noble gas and its atomic build-up. In Star Trek, Metreon Gas is something that is quite the thing to go explody when you just look sharply at it.

Now, just ot be obnoxious about it, this is what I would do.

Caslon as the starter fuel - change to Tritium - used for heavy water, atomic bombs and other nice stuff, also used specifically mentioned in star trek by klingon reactors. Tritium has a more "clumsy" feeling about it than Deuterium and would fit nicely to the fission/quantum reactors.
Hydrogen - change to Deuterium - no spacefaring race in their right mind would need to mine and import hydrogen? when its so easy to create it right from the water of your home planet? Deuterium and anti-deuterium create the reaction in star treks antimatter reactors.
Tyderios - change to Metreon Gas just to have it my way, ofc noone knows what Tyderios would be like.
Argon - keep it as is, its used specifically mentioned in some ST episodes, Helium and Krypton are also still available but only used as strategic component resources. If Helium was a fuel, it should ofc rather be Helium³ which is looked at being a fusion reactor fuel. All the noble gases might be more convenient to get from a pure gas planet sourcce than refining them out of traces from a habitable planets atmosphere.
As for antimatter as a resource by itself - I dont think theres so much pure antimatter lying around in the universe to go and scrape it off planets. Thats why star fleet used those miniscule Anti-Deuterium amounts in their reactors to get it from reacting with normal deuterium on a dilithium crystal. Or whatever.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 579
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 6:59:01 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

The Dominion is interesting, if only for being friends with the Cardies and Breen......

The one time I tried playing as them I wound up losing one of my starting colonies to the Son'a! Oh, the shame!

Sorry Ardryn.....no hard feelings!

Respectfully yours,
Admiral Ruafo

.....and welcome to the DW forums!

Attachment (1)

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 580
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 7:04:37 PM   
Demonius

Ah, the Son'a. Now mind me testing these Metreon Gas dispensers while we are talking about it?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 581
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 7:18:49 PM   
Ardryn

Yeah, the thought of the real culprit being the player's ability to focus on techs, and crash research them at the best opportunity struck me as I was about to go to sleep last night. It's just that the Feds have so many research bonuses; they get 25% innately, they get another +25 if they're a democracy, they get that cute +5 if they have the proper resource, and they start with T'Pan. And don't think I didn't notice that higher chance of free crash research events! 'Cause, I did! So there!

And don't worry ehsumrell, no hard feeling were felt on my end. Especially not on my following game as the Federation where the Son'a were the first to go. What? I totally didn't hold a grudge, they just happened to spawn next to me, honest!

< Message edited by Ardryn -- 5/5/2012 7:30:33 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 582
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 7:53:12 PM   
Igard

Ardryn, all true mate. The Romulans have equal research bonus of 25% and Republic has 25% too. Resources still aren't done yet so I'll sort them when I get to them. So the main tipping factor is T'Pan. I'll remove her from the start and reduce both the Feds and Roms to 20% bonus. This should keep the 2 neck and neck and bring a bit more balance.

Demonius, excellent post. I think I'm too hung up with keeping hydrogen because it's a real resource, but you're post makes far more sense to me. Looks like Tritium was used aboard the Enterprise D :-

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tritium

So another bunch of changes here:-

Tyderios ;Metreon Gas
Hydrogen ;Deuterium
Caslon ;Tritium

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 583
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 8:43:48 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

Ardryn, all true mate. The Romulans have equal research bonus of 25% and Republic has 25% too. Resources still aren't done yet so I'll sort them when I get to them. So the main tipping factor is T'Pan. I'll remove her from the start and reduce both the Feds and Roms to 20% bonus. This should keep the 2 neck and neck and bring a bit more balance.

Demonius, excellent post. I think I'm too hung up with keeping hydrogen because it's a real resource, but you're post makes far more sense to me. Looks like Tritium was used aboard the Enterprise D :-

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Tritium

So another bunch of changes here:-

Tyderios ;Metreon Gas
Hydrogen ;Deuterium
Caslon ;Tritium

IGard, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE do not shoot me...
Is not Tritium a nuclear inhibitor? Tritium gas in a nuclear warhead would inhibit the nuclear reaction...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 584
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 8:46:03 PM   
tjhkkr

I have it; turn calson into calgon

See they sell it to 'take you away...'

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 5/5/2012 8:50:55 PM >

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 585
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 8:47:53 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

And don't worry ehsumrell, no hard feeling were felt on my end. Especially not on my following game as the Federation where the Son'a were the first to go. What? I totally didn't hold a grudge, they just happened to spawn next to me, honest!

....and just WHERE is your homeworld at again Ardryn?

I have a close friend I'm aligned with who wishes to visit you!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 5/5/2012 8:48:52 PM >

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 586
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 9:32:23 PM   
Ardryn

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

It's the one surrounded by defense platforms with a large station floating above it, and has tens-of-thousands of troops on it, just follow the hundreds of, highly advanced, warships that travel to it daily; you can't miss it, always happy to be of help. The rumors of a death ray being installed on the station are completely unfounded, I assure you.
Oh, and don't mind the planetary shield and massive ion cannon, they're just to keep the pirates away.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 587
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 10:00:16 PM   
Tophat1815

I'd like to loose the "Death Ray"..........just sayin.......

Attachment should be my Dominion holdings. always play on very expensive research.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tophat1812 -- 5/5/2012 10:20:27 PM >

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 588
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 10:12:39 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

quote:

It's the one surrounded by defense platforms with a large station floating above it, and has tens-of-thousands of troops on it, just follow the hundreds of, highly advanced, warships that travel to it daily; you can't miss it, always happy to be of help. The rumors of a death ray being installed on the station are completely unfounded, I assure you.
Oh, and don't mind the planetary shield and massive ion cannon, they're just to keep the pirates away.

Thanks Ardryn! Was going to send my World Destroyer! But on second thought, I'll just send Data to
empty the "hundreds of highly advanced warships'" cargo bays.

(Oh, and don't mind the visit by my best agent/secret weapon/diplomatic ambassador. She's just to
keep you distracted long enough for Data to do his damage!)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 589
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 10:23:54 PM   
Ardryn

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrel1

Thanks Ardryn! Was going to send my World Destroyer! But on second thought, I'll just send Data to
empty the "hundreds of highly advanced warships'" cargo bays.

(Oh, and don't mind the visit by my best agent/secret weapon/diplomatic ambassador. She's just to
keep you distracted long enough for Data to do his damage!)

Always happy to help.

Now, while he and his "best agent" are distracted...

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 590
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/5/2012 10:25:33 PM   
Tophat1815

Igard,one thing i have found interesting is the number of colony governors the Dominion gets at start:

I'm desperate for a fleet or ground forces commander!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 591
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/6/2012 12:31:05 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

I want to protest... ehsumrell1 used weapons of Mass Destruction...
I brand him a war criminal...
All forces evacuate... prepare to make the jump to lightspeed. To quote one of the people on this forum, "Our shields cannot repel flamboyance of that magnatude..."

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 592
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/6/2012 3:21:19 AM   
Igard

TJ, I'm not sure about that nuclear inhibiter thing. I don't see anything about in memory alpha, so as far as Trek canon goes, it's a fuel type.

Tophat, that's a mistake by me. Das reported it and it's been fixed for the next update.

Ed, isn't there a treaty that prohibits the use of Lwaxana Troi as a weapon? It's right up there with flame throwers and Thalaron radiation.

THALARON RADIATION!!! Nah that's no good.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 593
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/6/2012 4:26:24 AM   
Tophat1815

quote:

TJ, I'm not sure about that nuclear inhibiter thing. I don't see anything about in memory alpha, so as far as Trek canon goes, it's a fuel type.

Tophat, that's a mistake by me. Das reported it and it's been fixed for the next update.

Ed, isn't there a treaty that prohibits the use of Lwaxana Troi as a weapon? It's right up there with flame throwers and Thalaron radiation.

It's alright Igard with the update to the new beta I'll be starting over again on both machines. it will give me a chance to download your update and probably go with the total conversion......... :)

The Dominion need some kinda bone tossed them to up their evil power potential. As a player race you can overcome the quirks but if i was playing against them they just don't have that serious enemy quality. Perhaps start them with a scientist or 2 and a few fleet admirals? possibly bump them with a stronger starting fleet as well.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 594
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/6/2012 7:04:34 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

Ardryn is new to the quadrant Igard and wasn't involved in the treaty signing at Khitomer.

Anyway, did you see the mass defenses he has put up, and I quote:

"It's the one surrounded by defense platforms with a large station floating above it, and has tens-of-thousands of troops on it, just follow the hundreds of, highly advanced, warships that travel to it daily; you can't miss it, always happy to be of help. The rumors of a death ray being installed on the station are completely unfounded, I assure you.
Oh, and don't mind the planetary shield and massive ion cannon, they're just to keep the pirates away."

Had to protect the Briar Patch....sorry!

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 595
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/6/2012 7:39:22 AM   
Ardryn

I had plenty of the Briar Patch during my stint in Star Trek Online, thank you. New to the quadrant? I've been here almost two years; just had nothing to post about.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 596
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/6/2012 3:49:31 PM   
Igard

I'm glad you decided to disable your lurking device... er cloaking device, Ardryn.

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 597
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/6/2012 7:21:58 PM   
Igard

Almost finished the gametext and galactopedia resources. Questurian Skin and Terallion the only ones that needs to be replaced.

I considered Denebian Slime Devil skin, but I'm not sure that would be a 'luxury' resource.

Aculon ;Tritanium
Aquasian Incense ;Latinum
Argon ;Argon
Bifurian Silk ;Tholian Silk
Caguar Fur ;Sehlat Fur
Carbon Fibre ;Carbon Fibre
Caslon ;Tritium
Chromium ;Duranium
Dantha Fur ;Tarcassian Razorbeast Fur
Dilithium Crystal ;Dilithium Crystal
Ekarus Meat ;Targ Meat
Emeros Crystal ;Tabalian Glass
Falajian Spice ;Hasperat Spice
Gold ;Gold
Helium ;Helium
Hydrogen ;Deuterium
Ilosian Jade ;Hupyrian beetle snuff
Iridium ;Iridium
Jakanta Ivory ;Mugato Ivory
Korabbian Spice ;Maraji Crystal
Krypton ;Krypton
Lead ;Lead
Loros Fruit ;Kaferian Apple
Megallos Nut ;Kava Nut
Natarran Incense ;Bataret Incense
Nekros Stone ;Kibberian Fire Diamond
Nepthys Wine ;Saurian Brandy
Osalia ;Kemocite
Otandium Opal ;Denevan Crystal
Polymer ;Polymer
Questurian Skin ;Questurian Skin
Rephidium Ale ;Romulan Ale
Silicon ;Silicon
Steel ;Steel
Terallion Down ;Terallion Down
Tyderios ;Metreon Gas
Ucantium Pearl ;Terellian Diamond
Vodkol ;Kanar
Wiconium ;Blood Wine
Yarras Marble ;Jevonite
Zentabia Fluid ;Tranya

< Message edited by Igard -- 5/6/2012 7:28:27 PM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 598
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/6/2012 7:33:42 PM   
Ardryn

quote:

I'm glad you decided to disable your lurking device... er cloaking device, Ardryn.

The Lurker's Cloaking Device is the most powerful cloaking device in the galaxy, and is used exclusively by Section thirty-whatever.
I take it the new beta patch will delay your next release for a while?

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 599
RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era - 5/6/2012 8:48:49 PM   
Tophat1815

If you lived under the dominion you'd beg for a Denebian Slime Devil skin to keep you warm!

I have it on good authority Dr.Phlox had several himself. I believe Data time traveled and stole at least one of them,while he was on a bender strictly drinking saurian brandy,vintage 2092 I believe.

< Message edited by Tophat1812 -- 5/6/2012 8:52:21 PM >

(in reply to Ardryn)
Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [Release!!] Star Trek - The Picard Era Page: <<   < prev  18 19 [20] 21 22   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI