Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Through a Glass Darkly

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Through a Glass Darkly Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/23/2010 7:05:37 PM   
Canoerebel

I obsess over Midway because in the hands of a gifted Japanese player it can be a real bear to recapture early in the game. With good, long-range patrols, the Japanese player gets enough warning to commit the KB and make recapturing the island difficult or impossible or very expensive for quite some time. In Allied hands, Midway basically gives the Allies a vast "safe zone" while also reminding the Japanese player that Marcus and Wake are not entirely secure. But in Japanese hands there is little threat further west and a great deal of the mid-Pacific is under threat.

I agree that the Japanese player can usually take Midway if he wants it, but here we have a situation where Brad ignored it due to higher priorities. So now I need to turn the island into a real bear.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 481
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/23/2010 7:12:44 PM   
FatR

Midway is also useful for Allies as a forward sub base. It is closer to sealanes from SRA than Aleutians. Without Midway you can almost forget about maintaining continous patrols around Home Islands. Or at least they will have much less time on position.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 482
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/23/2010 11:11:34 PM   
Canoerebel

4/16/42 to 4/18/42

India: Chittagong falls on the 17th, with the defenders taking the worst possible route of retreat (into the jungle rather than into clear terrain where they could reach friendly lines in a few weeks rather than a few years). :) Other than that it's been fairly quiet as Brad seems to be concentrating on landing troops at Chittagong and near Vizagapetum. The KB remains parked at Colombo while supply TFs make the run from Abadan to Karachi. Vildebeasts scored some hits on two xAK at Chittagong on the 16th, which surprised everybody.

Oz: I paid political points to buy the final of the three 40th Division regiments. It loaded aboard transports and is on the way to Oz. Upon arrival, the Allies will have two American divisions present - 41st at Sydney and 40th divided between Perth and Geraldton.

SoPac: Artillery and CD landed at Nadi; a Marine regiment is about four days away; and Army battalion is about two weeks away. A Marine CD and an Army battalion are on the way to Canton Island.

CenPac: A Marine CD is on the way to Midway, and I'm rounding up transports to retrieve the Midway base force (not sure where it will go yet - possibly the Aleutians).

NoPac: Regular reinforcement movements continue, the most important of which is a big CD unit set to arrive at Attu Island in two or three days.

Strategic Assessment: I'm still not positive what Brad's overall objective is in India. He has so many troops committed that the entire subcontinent would seem the likely target. Yet, were he really intent on going for the jugular, he should have landed somewhere like Goa or Surat on the west coast. I just dunno.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/23/2010 11:12:56 PM >

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

(in reply to FatR)
Post #: 483
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/23/2010 11:53:06 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

On Midway, in my PBM I reinforced with 1 or 2 (whatever would fit at the time) of the small USMC units (para & raider). The base force and defense battalion both grew substantially over time, raising the AV. The defense Bn is particularly nice because it over-strengths on USMC squads and has those nice 4 x 7" guns that were present on Midway IRL.

Against the AI, I also have that USMC unit with the CD guns. However, unlike CR, I just feel naked without some fighter cover. Patrol supported by AVP is nice, but I want some Wildcats overhead. And that means Aviation support, and that eats up the manpower limit budget. There's no good rock-paper-scissors solution with a 6000-man limit. I think it's to each player's tastes how he spends those 6000.

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 484
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/23/2010 11:53:24 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

I obsess over Midway because in the hands of a gifted Japanese player it can be a real bear to recapture early in the game. With good, long-range patrols, the Japanese player gets enough warning to commit the KB and make recapturing the island difficult or impossible or very expensive for quite some time. In Allied hands, Midway basically gives the Allies a vast "safe zone" while also reminding the Japanese player that Marcus and Wake are not entirely secure. But in Japanese hands there is little threat further west and a great deal of the mid-Pacific is under threat.

I agree that the Japanese player can usually take Midway if he wants it, but here we have a situation where Brad ignored it due to higher priorities. So now I need to turn the island into a real bear.

Concur Dan. I grabbed it early in my current game so I can use it for the exact reasons you state. I plan to stack it to about 5,500 men and NO MORE! Don't want to deal with more supply issues if at all possible.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 485
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/24/2010 6:46:24 PM   
Cribtop

Canoe - I really can't figure what the enemy is up to either. Surely there is another shoe to drop as unco-ordinated attacks aren't like Q. Still, at this point he really can't get behind you now that the UK Div is in position. Just make sure you don't get cut off at Calcutta and you should be fine.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 486
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/24/2010 7:23:06 PM   
princep01

I don't read the "OTHER GUY'S" AAR, but it is pretty obvious what is going on. He's going to conquer India and win an AUTO victory. He has landed in multiple locations in division+ strength estimating that you do not have the strength in any of these areas (or the inclination) to fight and defeat him in detail. He will consolidate around the bases he has captured, bring in his air and proceed to attack in converging directions while you protect Karachi and points off map. Good luck stopping him once he gets his air house in order and lands sufficient supply to proceed....and that will not be long.

I am aware this is a Scen 2 game and maybe the Japanese are just unstoppable, but I feel like I am Abe Lincoln watching General McClellan "prepare" the Army of the Potomac forever, and ever and ever. I keep thinking what damage those CVs could have done astride the IJNs line of communication to Ceylon while KB was known to be well north on the east side of India. In my view that was an opportunity lost.

Give me Grant.....As Lincoln said, I cannot fire this man...he fights!.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 487
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/24/2010 10:09:49 PM   
JeffroK

Dan,

I dont know what your Sub position is, and if any have effective torps.

But all of that shipping that went West has to return and through some defined choke points.

Can you get anything in place to snipe at the returning fleets. Even scaring QBall into diversions slows him down.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 488
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/24/2010 11:00:04 PM   
Cribtop

In answer to princip01, I hear you, but Canoe seems to think that neither Bombay, Madras nor Karachi can be taken with existing IJA strength. Calcutta MAY fall if I am reading him correctly. Thus, unless more landing are afoot (and that is the million dollar question), I don't know that auto-victory is really in the cards yet. That said, I would like to hear what Canoerebel thinks on this point.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 489
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/24/2010 11:34:37 PM   
princep01

Crib, there is little doubt in my mind that this set of landings is the base grabbing phase. The second "Buildup" wave is likely in progress now. That is why I urged the good Admiral to get his CVs across the sea LOC sometiem back and hit that second wave while KB was messing around off eastern India. It is too late now. I'm betting dollars to donuts that the second wave is starting to mount up and move. Once those reinforcements land, the "BIG PUSH" will start. The IJA troops are better, more numerous and better supported than the Br/Indians at this stage. I don't think the Allies are going to survive this. The good admiral may fight his war as he wishes, but this is a dangerous invasion and his lack of response on the sea or in other portions of the theater are going to result in an AUTO victory for Japan.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 490
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 12:28:21 AM   
John 3rd

I concur with some of the above thinking, however, I side with Dan in thinking India cannot be taken. As soon as 'the line' is crossed and all those reinforcements get triggered life will be more exciting. Add to this the troops that just snuck in and Dan is in pretty good shape.

My main thought is to ATTACK elsewhere. Pull the CVs back into the Pacific and raise some hell! Since Dan is a Southerner those Lincoln--McClellan--Grant comments won't work. I'd say you need a little STONEWALL action right now!

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 9/25/2010 12:29:21 AM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 491
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 4:15:27 AM   
JeffroK

Stonewall of the Valley or of the Seven Days?

I'd settle for a bit of Forrest!.

As mentioned earlier, CV at Cape Town only threatens the IO, and now have very few bases to use after any foray. Any transfer to Panama takes about 20 days at normal speed, I haven't done the Falklands/Cape/Tahiti route yet.

Whereas "being seen" in the Pacific, even some CVE supporting the Aleutian occupation will make QBall wonder what else is lurking.

I'm also not a fan if the IJA attack is avoiding the trigger hex/hexes.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 492
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 4:51:58 AM   
Cribtop

My problem is that I don't have a feel for how many IJA Divs remain uncommitted as I have not played Scen 2. If Q still has three or four Div equivalents out there to bring to the party, he can take all India up to the line. If that gives auto-victory then Canoe has to try some fink.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 493
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 2:41:34 PM   
Canoerebel

Thanks for the comments and suggestions, guys. I would caution that anybody reading both AARs had better refrain from commenting in either. Sometimes it's possible to pick up intel by reading between the lines. Nothing of that sort has happened yet, mainly because I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I always try to keep in mind that any suspicions I develop could be dead wrong.

To address some of the comments and suggestions made:

1) Scenario Two gives Japan more to play with, but by no means does it turn Japan into an insta-auto-victory threat. I think most expereinced Allied players would have no problem avoiding auto-victiory even in Scenario Two.

2) I am pushng the envelop a bit, here, by not counterattacking. I'm not sure yet this is the best way to fight, or even a good way of fighting, but it's the route I've chosen. I'll certainly learn alot about how much the Allies can bend and can use that in future games.

3) I've been through this before. In my WitP game vs. John III, he conquered all of Oz except Sydney and Melbourne. It was really ugly and things were looking very bleak. But the Allies came back and did quite well in that game. AE Scenario Two isn't WitP, so that doesn't mean the same thing will happen in this game. I'm just sayin' I've been pushed to the edge before, so waging a war under these circumstances isn't a new experience.

4) I enjoy writing AARs as much as I do playing the game, but I also know that very few people have the time to follow carefully and actually keep tabs on much of the information conveyed. So I'd be amazed if anybody would remember things I wrote back near the start of this AAR. If, somehow, you do, you'll recall that the Allied plan from day one has been to allow Japan to invade Oz or India and to push quite far. I do NOT want to lose either the continent or the sub-continent, but I can use any penetration short of total defeat to my advantage later in the game.

5) I think Brad's highest priority from the outset was to do something to force me to commit my carriers to a naval battle. Brad knows that his chances of victory in a '42 carrier battle are pretty high, and that a decisive carrier battle defeat for the Allies is a big step towards Japanese auto-victory. It would also free up Japan to advance all over the map. I'm not giving him the carrier battle. The total invisibility (force-in-being) of the Allied carrier has had a great and largely unexpected dividend - it seems to have completely frozen Japan in the Pacific. Instead of fighting a defensive war with my troops in retreat, the Allies have moved forward to occupy or strengthen bases that I would have expected to fall long before now: Fiji, Canton Island, Midway, and the western Aleutians. I still exepct a fight for Midway, or quite possibly Fiji, when the KB returns to the Pacific, but no longer are they auto-conquests for Japan.

6) The one thing I cannot measure with any certainty is Brad's state of mind. I would think the absence of the Allied carriers plus the steady ticking of the clock as days and weeks pass has got to be messing with his mind somewhat. In addition to protecting his forces in India, he has to look to Oz, the DEI, New Caledonia, CenPac, and NoPac. What decisions might he make that unltimately hurt his cause? I have no idea, but the possibility that he will do something "wrong" increases as time passes. Also, I think by the time he turns his attention back to the Pacific, he will be thinking that the Allies have had time to seriously strengthen key bases. For instance, I don't think he'll consider attacking New Zealand, which is still completely vulnerable.

7) As for John III's comment, I think the most effective way of "raising hell" with Japan in the Pacific is to not show my carriers, so that Brad is looking for them everywhere instead of knowing precisely where they are. [Somebody mentioned CVEs - I don't have any yet, and, even if I did, showing them wouldn't accomplish anything strategic anyhow.]

8) Brad still has a good six or so IJA divisions uncommitted in theater. He can still land at Goa or Surat and give me fits. He won't isolate the Calcutta troops, as the bases to the rear are already garrisoned (with more troops on the way) to guard against para-assault. I don't think anything short of total conquest of India would give Brad enought points for an auto victory and possibly not even then. However, if I suffered a carrier defeat on top of trouble in India, I would be sweating things. At the moment, I'm worried, but I'm not perspiring.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/25/2010 2:54:59 PM >

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 494
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 3:31:58 PM   
Chickenboy

Canoerebel,

Reading your, as usual, well-written AAR. Q-ball's too.

My limited posting here is due to maintenance of OPSEC for both of your AARs. I just wanted to say thanks for being such a diligent and thoughtful AAR producer. Many people learn from your posted experiences...

ETA: I note in your #6 above that you have omitted the potential Allied threat to the IJ western flank at Burma. In your mind, does Brad's effort in India preclude any threat that you can raise to Burma for the forseeable future?

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 9/25/2010 3:37:55 PM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 495
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 3:53:35 PM   
crsutton

Canoe is spot on here. I think you guys need a visual aid

The following four posts will show you AFBs how to defeat Japan in Scen #2

1942-Rope a Dope

Attachment (1)

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 496
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 3:54:34 PM   
crsutton

1943-Float like a butterfly

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 497
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 3:55:03 PM   
crsutton

1944-Sting like a bee.

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 498
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 3:55:49 PM   
crsutton

1945-Down for the count.

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 499
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 4:01:49 PM   
Chickenboy

Get too brash and fall down...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 9/25/2010 4:05:47 PM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 500
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 4:16:44 PM   
crsutton

Get back up and win title again..

Attachment (1)

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 501
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 5:55:38 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy
I note in your #6 above that you have omitted the potential Allied threat to the IJ western flank at Burma. In your mind, does Brad's effort in India preclude any threat that you can raise to Burma for the forseeable future?

We'll have to see whether my master plan was well conceived or a mess, but from day one of this game my master plan includes Burma playing essentially no role.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/25/2010 5:56:51 PM >

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 502
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 8:18:02 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Get back up and win title again..

40 years later?

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 503
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 10:35:51 PM   
witpqs

quote:

At the moment, I'm worried, but I'm not perspiring.

Shaken but not stirred.

Like Chickenboy, I read both so you notice I comment on things like game mechanics and such but never on choices, etc.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 504
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 11:50:32 PM   
princep01

witpqs, is there a particular forum where the search arc problem is discussed in more detail?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 505
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/25/2010 11:57:23 PM   
witpqs

Both in Tech support but I think more in the main forum.

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 506
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/26/2010 1:25:43 AM   
Canoerebel

4/19/42 to 4/21/42

KB: SS Haddock fired a spread of six torpedoes at CV Soryu, but missed. This action took place just SE of Colombo. So the KB is on the move - could be returning to the Arabian Sea, moving south to cover an invasion of Diego Garcia, or returning to Singapore.

Strange Combat: An Allied base force moving through a dot hex in NE India in strategic mode encountered a Japanese para assault. Oddly, the base force attacked first, failed, and then got booted by the paratroops.

NE India: A detachment of 33rd Division advancing through the jungle took Imphal on the 2nd; 10th Division is presently at Vizagapetum. These are the 6th and 7th IJA divisions on the ground in India at present. Plenty of SigInt reports indicating additional troops bound for Chittagong. Using para-assaults to take a line of bases to the rear of the Imphal-Ledo line, Brad has isolated a few small units of the Burma army. Other units have been cut off in the surrenders of Chittagong and Akyab. But the numbers are small. It is increasingly likely that the main effort is coming in NE India, though I'll maintain my garrisons at Bombay, Surat, Ahmadebad, and Karachi until I'm sure. Viz should fall to the Japanese tomorrow.

South India: Brad has just one division on the ground here - not enough to accomplish anything substantial barring reinforcement. 150 Indian AV will arrive at Madras in nine days - enough to replace most of what has been cut off in the jungles to the northeast.

West and North India: Quiet.

What Brad Knows and Guesses: When he invaded Diamond Harbor a few weeks ago, Brad encountered an Aussie artillery unit belonging to I Corps. Brad's no dummy - he probably surmised that this means at least one Aussie division is present (he can't even be sure about the second division that is currently in Oz, because I haven't used it in combat there). Also, the KB has been absent from the Arabian Sea and Japanese Glens and patrol aircraft have sighted ships in Karachi; so Brad probably believes that the British reinforcements have arrived. He may conclude that a conquest of India under the circumstances is therefore unlikely. But I'm playing it that he's bringing everything he can with the intention of total conquest - until it is safe to play it otherwise.

Allied Carriers Force-in-Being Benefits: There are lots of benefits to the force-in-being concept. I think another is the fact that Brad has been careful in employing combat ships near India. Thus far all my troop transport TFs have been able to come and go from Karachi without interference. if I used my carriers in the Pacific, that would change pronto. The same holds true with ongoing Allied efforts to reinforce and supply Fiji, Samoa, Canton Island, Midway and the western Aleutians.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/26/2010 1:27:42 AM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 507
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/26/2010 1:32:14 AM   
Blackhorse

I'm also reading both game forums, so in the spirit of "loose lips sink ships" I'll say nothing about the game.

But thank you, Canoe, for taking the time to share your thoughts -- writing an AAR can be hard, or at least time-consuming, work. It's well-done, interesting, entertaining, and I've picked up more Allied pilot training hints here than anywhere else on the board.

This Texas-born Yankee is pulling for you.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 508
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/27/2010 8:38:52 PM   
Canoerebel

4/22/42 to 4/25/42

India: I'm not yet willing to bet the farm on it, but it seems increasingly likely that Brad is concentrating his main effort on NE India. He's landing a ton of troops at Chittagong, and he's been using his paras, as detailed previously, to take dot hexes in order to isolate some of the forward Allied units. By "not yet willing to bet the farm," I mean that I'm still mildly concerned that he may land a force of three to five divisions in my rear, which would really worry me. So I'll keep stout garrisons in place for now, relying upon my forward troops to serve as road blocks. If, indeed, I'm correct, Brad either isn't going for all of India or he's planning for a very, very long campaign - it takes awhile to march from Chittagong all the way across the top of India.

Addu Atoll: Taken by Japanese shock attack on the 24th. The Allies still hold Diego Garcia with a garrison of 110 AV, so Brad will have to commit a decent force to this operation.

China: Things have been very quiet here. I think Brad is shifting troops to the south to threaten Liuchow and vicinity, but it will take him awhile to get his ducks in a row. His guys will take Nanning, held by just one unit, in the near future.

Australia: The Allies recaptured Cooktown on the 25th, thus evicting the Japanese from northeast Oz. I think this is a net swing of about 33 victory points, so it is more significant from an auto-victory standpoint. Now I'll move some engineers forward to begin working on Coen and Portland Roads, but that will take a LONG time. To the west, it appears that the Japanese won't advance further than Daily Waters, leaving the Allies unmolested at Tennant Creek. Further west, the Allies are assembling a small force to advance from Geraldton on Carnarvon.

SoPac: 9th Marines landed at Suva. A Marine CD unit landed at Canton Island.

CenPac: A second Marine CD landed at Midway. Allied transports begin loading the base force at Midway tomorrow. I'll move this to Attu Island, and replace it with an Army battalion when one becomes available.

NoPac: Most of a CD unit finished unloading at Attu, but I'm having to move the remainder to Adak where the docks are bigger. I'll unload, then reload in combat mode, then return to Attu.

Sub Wars: I-157 got an empty xAK near Karachi and I-156 got an empty xAKL.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 9/27/2010 8:41:19 PM >

(in reply to Blackhorse)
Post #: 509
RE: Through a Glass Darkly - 9/27/2010 8:51:37 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Must feel strange to have a decent amount of f4f and sbd replacements available. Was wondering if you were using the cv air groups for pilot training purposes while they're hanging around ct?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Through a Glass Darkly Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI