Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: One Weird Battle

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: One Weird Battle Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/15/2010 9:56:56 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Brad was out of town yesterday, so no turn in the box until late tonight.

About two months ago, Brad's rate of play slowed dramatically.  At first I wondered if he might be playing some mind games - trying to throw me off my rhythm or trying to make me think there was nothing "exciting" going on at his end of the game. (If that's paranoid thinking, I'm guilty.)

Then Brad said that real life business matters were responsible (most of our turns have been done during regular business hours due to my situation).  But the fact that Brad isn't updating his AAR any longer is out of character.  He does have time at night to do stuff, he says, but he's not posting.

That leads me to wonder whether he's lost interest in our game.  I don't see how, considering he's had the Allies on the edge of disaster for months now, but no other explanation seems to fit.

Q-ball was such a regular presence on this forum, that I can't believe he's just dropped you or lost interest in your game. That would be so very unlike him and totally out of character. I haven't seen him posting much at all here or elsewhere within Matrix. I'll put your presumptive paranoia at the bottom of my differential diagnoses list, CR.

In the meantime, I would take him at his word. He's earned that benefit of the doubt. Hopefully things will pick up for the two of you soon.

You know, CR, you COULD pick up another PBEM to tide you over...

Also, remember that it's not paranoia if the bastards really ARE out to get 'ya.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1051
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/15/2010 10:17:45 PM   
Nemo121

Well, with real life sometimes in my game vs PH or 1EyedJacks we swap 3 turns a day and sometimes 1 turn every 5 days. Such is life.

Also, don't forget that his morale has probably taken a beating recently. I believe he has finally realised his strategic errors ( which I won't go into here ) but he's done so too late to correct them in order to gain his original strategic objective. It is natural that that will result in some slower play while he rebuilds enthusiasm. Of course, he should have taken steps to prevent morale impacting his play but when you read his previous posting history ( not including this current AAR ) it is clear that he doesn't do so ( that isn't a slam, most people don't ).

So, I'd give him some time. If you really think his morale is flagging etc perhaps offer him the opportunity to concede the game at this point and allow someone else to step in. There's no shame in a conceded game or a game ending early - unless you've both agreed at the start of the game that this goes to 31st December 45/46. Even then though if it isn't fun for him anymore then he should step aside or concede.

Ps. To be clear... I haven't read his AAR for quite a long time once I became certain that he wasn't listening to people who could see his strategic demise approaching. Once the writing's on the wall and the player chooses not to read it I tend not to follow the AAR anymore as watching the slaughter of someone who refuses to see reality isn't interesting to me. So, none of the above is based on anything he's said or done in recent weeks. From my dipping into your AAR it is clear, however, that he has stalled and is belatedly realising his errors in deployment, phasing and weighting.

John Dillworth: "I had GreyJoy check my spelling and he said it was fine."
Well, that's that settled then.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1052
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/15/2010 10:39:19 PM   
Canoerebel

I'm not going to say anything to Brad yet.  As Chickenboy points out, he has a long and stellar records in the forums.  And, as Nemo points out, it might well be real life work matters.  If it continues after the first of the year, or if Brad brings it up in the meantime, I'll consider approaching him them.

For now, though, the game is excruciatingly tense, and it is hard to be patient as I wait to see how things will turn out from an auto-victory standpoint.

Thanks for the comments, gents.

(in reply to Nemo121)
Post #: 1053
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 2:19:19 PM   
Mike Solli

Hang in there CR.  Real life does rear it's ugly head for all of us on occasion.  There was a period of a couple of months where I didn't log on, due to life (mine and my opponents).  People thought my AAR was dead.  I got through that period and we picked the game back up.  Q-Ball will get through this. 

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1054
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 6:52:19 PM   
Canoerebel

9/29/42

A momentous day with significant developments that require important decisions that will resonate around the globe.

Jalagon:  Brad's army at Jalagon didn't attack.  In fact, nearly 25% of his units departed the hex, either the beginning of a general retreat or part of a plan to fight for control of the flanking hexes.  Either strategy is bad, at this point, but the latter is a particularly poor option.  Time is against Brad.  His only chance to retain the initiative or at least preserve the status quo is to attack and take Jalagon before Allied reinforcements arrive.  Niether side attacked, Allied air strikes were not particularly impressive, and Japan's besieging army dropped from 95k to about 75k as several units seem to have pulled out to the east and to the south.

What is Japan Doing:  While Brad might have ordered a general retreat, which would be his second best option at this point, I think he might be leaving a holding force at Jalagon while he prepares to fight for control of the flanking hexes.  The fact that he just sent one of his five Bombay divisions north on the road to Jalagon makes this seem likely.  But this is a losing strategy.  The Allies have alot more reinforcements on the way.  In addition to British infantry and armor and Indian infantry arriving in numbers at Indore, a flood of reinforcements just reached Karachi - an armored brigade is coming ashore, and reinforcements in the form of an Indian division and two Chindit brigades just came in at Karachi.  This gives the Allies 700 additional AV to work with.

What will happen at Jalagon:  If Brad stays and fights on the flanks, his army will eventually get beaten.  If he has ordered a general retreat, the Allies will be right on his heals and things may turn into a disorganzed route.

What the Allies will do:  The two Chindit brigades will move to forward bases, giving the Allies three paratroop units near the front.  27th USA Division will likely continue to Jalagon to make sure it is secure.  Additional units arriving will move toward the flanking hexes.  LBA will try to pound the enemy.  If the enemy appears to be cracking or in general retreat, I may drop the paratroops on rear bases/dot hexes to theaten the enemy's line of retreat.

What the Allies need to evaluate:  The Allies could use the new reinforcements to create an amphibious army that could land, under cover of carriers, at Mangalore.  The Allies still control this base south of Goa, so the landing would be friendly (IE, no disruption or losses).  Landing here in strength would seriously threaten two of Japan's best routes of retreat from the Bombay/Jalagon areas, posing a serious threat to the long-term survival of the Japanese army.  This sounds "great" at first blush, but has important downsides:  (1) At perhaps 1,000 AV, the Allies force could itself be surrounded and destroyed; (2) Japan has several big airfields in the area, including Cuttack at level seven; with the porous CAP and anemic flak that exists in AE, the Allies carriers would be at risk; and (3) revealing the location of my carriers gives Brad freedom to roam in the Pacific, and that's a bad thing at this point.  For those reasons I am leaning against this operation.

Allied carriers:  The conditions that led me to keep my carriers available for possible action in the Arabian Sea have changed.  The Allies will be fine in India without them.  Should I elect against the Mangalore operation, then my carriers are no longer needed in this theater.  SigInt just reported IJA 24th Division prepping for Midway, which I think is an important strategic target for Japan.  There are also the looming threats against Fiji and possibly Baker or New Zealand.  Therefore, I am strongly considering moving my carriers from Capetown to Balboa to be ready for action in the Pacific.

The Pacific:  Multiple IJN subs are working around Suva (one sank a supply xAK) and at Baker Island.  A sub south of New Zealand's southern tip got an eyeful of a major USN combat TF including CAs Pensacola and Portland.  (I wonder what Brad thinks of that.)  Another sub is near Adak.  Brad has also been reconning Midway, apparently by Emily (is Midway close enough to Wake to permit such?).  I think things are going to get hot in the Pacific in about two or three weeks.

SoPac:  The Norfolk Island invasion force leaves Hobart tonight.

Brad:  The slow-down in turns doesn't bother me nearly as much as Brad's lack of interest in his AAR.  As I checked his posting history this a.m., I found that he has posted several times in the new WitE forum.  That's a bad sign.  Back in my UV days, I was involved in a tight game.  Suddenly, my opponent seemed to lose interest.  Then he showed up in the then-new WitP forums, where he became immeresed in that game.  He half-heartedly tried to continue our UV game, but eventually gave it up.  That's what I'm afraid is happening here.  I want to give it somore more time to see if things work out, so I won't say anything unless the trend continued into January or unless Brad brings it up.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1055
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 7:19:57 PM   
JohnDillworth

2 other possibilities here:
He saw significant American investment and all his math went out the window.
or......
General Hamlet is commanding his army.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1056
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 7:31:35 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

9/29/42

A momentous day with significant developments that require important decisions that will resonate around the globe.

Jalagon:  Brad's army at Jalagon didn't attack.  In fact, nearly 25% of his units departed the hex, either the beginning of a general retreat or part of a plan to fight for control of the flanking hexes.  Either strategy is bad, at this point, but the latter is a particularly poor option.  Time is against Brad.  His only chance to retain the initiative or at least preserve the status quo is to attack and take Jalagon before Allied reinforcements arrive.  Niether side attacked, Allied air strikes were not particularly impressive, and Japan's besieging army dropped from 95k to about 75k as several units seem to have pulled out to the east and to the south.

What is Japan Doing:  While Brad might have ordered a general retreat, which would be his second best option at this point, I think he might be leaving a holding force at Jalagon while he prepares to fight for control of the flanking hexes.  The fact that he just sent one of his five Bombay divisions north on the road to Jalagon makes this seem likely.  But this is a losing strategy.  The Allies have alot more reinforcements on the way.  In addition to British infantry and armor and Indian infantry arriving in numbers at Indore, a flood of reinforcements just reached Karachi - an armored brigade is coming ashore, and reinforcements in the form of an Indian division and two Chindit brigades just came in at Karachi.  This gives the Allies 700 additional AV to work with.

What will happen at Jalagon:  If Brad stays and fights on the flanks, his army will eventually get beaten.  If he has ordered a general retreat, the Allies will be right on his heals and things may turn into a disorganzed route.

What the Allies will do:  The two Chindit brigades will move to forward bases, giving the Allies three paratroop units near the front.  27th USA Division will likely continue to Jalagon to make sure it is secure.  Additional units arriving will move toward the flanking hexes.  LBA will try to pound the enemy.  If the enemy appears to be cracking or in general retreat, I may drop the paratroops on rear bases/dot hexes to theaten the enemy's line of retreat.

What the Allies need to evaluate:  The Allies could use the new reinforcements to create an amphibious army that could land, under cover of carriers, at Mangalore.  The Allies still control this base south of Goa, so the landing would be friendly (IE, no disruption or losses).  Landing here in strength would seriously threaten two of Japan's best routes of retreat from the Bombay/Jalagon areas, posing a serious threat to the long-term survival of the Japanese army.  This sounds "great" at first blush, but has important downsides:  (1) At perhaps 1,000 AV, the Allies force could itself be surrounded and destroyed; (2) Japan has several big airfields in the area, including Cuttack at level seven; with the porous CAP and anemic flak that exists in AE, the Allies carriers would be at risk; and (3) revealing the location of my carriers gives Brad freedom to roam in the Pacific, and that's a bad thing at this point.  For those reasons I am leaning against this operation.

Allied carriers:  The conditions that led me to keep my carriers available for possible action in the Arabian Sea have changed.  The Allies will be fine in India without them.  Should I elect against the Mangalore operation, then my carriers are no longer needed in this theater.  SigInt just reported IJA 24th Division prepping for Midway, which I think is an important strategic target for Japan.  There are also the looming threats against Fiji and possibly Baker or New Zealand.  Therefore, I am strongly considering moving my carriers from Capetown to Balboa to be ready for action in the Pacific.

The Pacific:  Multiple IJN subs are working around Suva (one sank a supply xAK) and at Baker Island.  A sub south of New Zealand's southern tip got an eyeful of a major USN combat TF including CAs Pensacola and Portland.  (I wonder what Brad thinks of that.)  Another sub is near Adak.  Brad has also been reconning Midway, apparently by Emily (is Midway close enough to Wake to permit such?).  I think things are going to get hot in the Pacific in about two or three weeks.

SoPac:  The Norfolk Island invasion force leaves Hobart tonight.

Brad:  The slow-down in turns doesn't bother me nearly as much as Brad's lack of interest in his AAR.  As I checked his posting history this a.m., I found that he has posted several times in the new WitE forum.  That's a bad sign.  Back in my UV days, I was involved in a tight game.  Suddenly, my opponent seemed to lose interest.  Then he showed up in the then-new WitP forums, where he became immeresed in that game.  He half-heartedly tried to continue our UV game, but eventually gave it up.  That's what I'm afraid is happening here.  I want to give it somore more time to see if things work out, so I won't say anything unless the trend continued into January or unless Brad brings it up.

If you are convinced that Brad is ordering a general withdraw from the Indian subcontinent East *and* you're going to be moving your carriers to the Pacific anyways, would this be the right time for you to consider your Sumatra option? I would think that you would want to swing around as wide as possible in order to snare as many Jap divisions in India as you could.

Nothing wrong with frontal assault attrition from the Allies perspective, but you may have an opportunity for maneuver warfare here to supplement the Indian attrition.

Just a thought...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1057
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 7:35:52 PM   
Canoerebel

Uh oh, John, you're dealing with a man who sometimes has trouble thinking abstractly.  You'll have to explain your Hamlet reference.

I can only hope that the appearance of the Americans caused consternation in the enemy camp.  A failure to achieve an element of surprise would be a dsiappointment.  (By the way, I don't think he's caught sight of 27th Division yet).

P.S. Just a turn or two before you posted your previous entry, I had gone through my units at Jalagon and replaced substandard officers. 

A couple of other extraneous details I've been meaning to post:

1.  You guys may remember the Allies withdrew cadres of a UK division from Ceylon back in March.  That division is now up to about 110 AV.  One of the brigades is at Bombay, the other two at Ahmadebad.

2.  20th Indian Division, which was nearly annihilated in southern India, and of which a fragment was extracted by air in a nearly miraculous operation about a month ago, is now at Surat and has recouped to about 25 AV.  Sometime in 1943 this unit will be a force to be reckoned with.

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 1058
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 7:44:42 PM   
Canoerebel

Chickenboy, the thought of trapping and destroying the Japanese army in India is enticing.  Such an operation would take the commitment of every Allied resource available, including carriers, and would still be very difficult to achieve.

I'm leaning against anything of that nature because it would essentially eliminate the option of moving on Sumatra since my carriers and shipping would be heavily involved in the Bay of Bengal for many months to come and would likely draw Japan's full attention to the region.  The move would also open up the Pacific to Japanese moves, which would be a real problem for me going forward.

Alternatively, I don't think I can proceed with the Sumatra campaign yet.  I don't have enough troops available - I don't think 4+ divisions is sufficient - I think I need at least 8.  Plus, at this early date I do not think Allied carriers would be able to keep the supply lines open to Sumatra.  I think the odds are high that the KB would win any major carrier clash.

For those reasons, I think the Allies are best served by (1) waging a frontal assault in India (with the addition of para-assaults); (2) keeping the carriers hidden for now; and (3) invading Sumatra in the spring of '43, timed to coincide with what will appear to be a massive Allied invasion of the Kuriles (to draw Brad's carriers north).

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1059
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 8:25:25 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Allied carriers: The conditions that led me to keep my carriers available for possible action in the Arabian Sea have changed. The Allies will be fine in India without them. Should I elect against the Mangalore operation, then my carriers are no longer needed in this theater. SigInt just reported IJA 24th Division prepping for Midway, which I think is an important strategic target for Japan. There are also the looming threats against Fiji and possibly Baker or New Zealand. Therefore, I am strongly considering moving my carriers from Capetown to Balboa to be ready for action in the Pacific.

Assuming that you have: 1)Upgraded all TBD Devastators to TBF Avengers, and 2)Incorporated two or more Atlanta class CLAA's into your escorts, I add my vote to this idea. I don't advise a make-or-break battle against the entire KB, since that would give the IJN a chance for auto-victory. But a battle against a lesser number of Japanese CV's might produce valuable results. (And be highly entertaining to we readers.)

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1060
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 8:36:57 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Uh oh, John, you're dealing with a man who sometimes has trouble thinking abstractly.  You'll have to explain your Hamlet reference.

Shakespeare's longest play and not my favorite. Hamlet was a Prince brilliant at many things and had a great mind. So great, he could see all sides of any argument. Therefore, he thought about everything with great clarity, but could never make up his mind. Therefore, he always failed to take action at critical times. Essentially, a man that could not make up his mind

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1061
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 8:42:45 PM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

Shakespeare's longest play and not my favorite. Hamlet was a Prince brilliant at many things and had a great mind. So great, he could see all sides of any argument. Therefore, he thought about everything with great clarity, but could never make up his mind. Therefore, he always failed to take action at critical times. Essentially, a man that could not make up his mind

you know now that I look at this description Hamlet is a lot like Vizzini from the Princess Bride:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1062
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 10:44:24 PM   
Canoerebel

Lord have mercy!  A man that can cite Hamlet and Vizzini in the same breath!

The more I hang around the forums, the more I realize just how varied and rather remarkable the inhabitants are (sorry to use you as an example to heap praises upon, John, and thereby probably make you uncomfortable, but it's true - not just you, but also many other folks).

The Hamlet parallel is interesting and might well apply to me too.

Capt.Harlock:  I just went for a nice long run in the mud and muck and gave things alot of thought.  I am sending me carriers back to the Pacific.

Post #: 1063
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 11:26:28 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock
Assuming that you have: 1)Upgraded all TBD Devastators to TBF Avengers, and 2)Incorporated two or more Atlanta class CLAA's into your escorts, I add my vote to this idea...

I have four CV TFs (the fourth is RN). I don't think I have enough Atlanta-class CLAAs to commit two to each TF. But I'll hunt and peck to see what I can scrounge up. Thanks for the suggestion: you prompted me to recall CLAA San Juan from Mombasa, where she was part of a large combat TF. I'll send her to Capetown and then on to Balboa.

But the real question: is CLAA flak (or any flak, for that matter) effective in the game?

Post #: 1064
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 11:50:59 PM   
Xxzard

Flak will help throw off the aim of the attacking aircraft and reduce hit rates on your ships. This can be at a pretty noticeable rate with heavy flak. Still, I would never count on it. Honestly, while the CLAA's are nice, I have never seen them as essential. Substitute in two or three more destroyers with DP guns and you have effectively the same amount of AA firepower.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1065
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/16/2010 11:57:20 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Chickenboy, the thought of trapping and destroying the Japanese army in India is enticing.  Such an operation would take the commitment of every Allied resource available, including carriers, and would still be very difficult to achieve.

I'm leaning against anything of that nature because it would essentially eliminate the option of moving on Sumatra since my carriers and shipping would be heavily involved in the Bay of Bengal for many months to come and would likely draw Japan's full attention to the region.  The move would also open up the Pacific to Japanese moves, which would be a real problem for me going forward.

Alternatively, I don't think I can proceed with the Sumatra campaign yet.  I don't have enough troops available - I don't think 4+ divisions is sufficient - I think I need at least 8.  Plus, at this early date I do not think Allied carriers would be able to keep the supply lines open to Sumatra.  I think the odds are high that the KB would win any major carrier clash.

For those reasons, I think the Allies are best served by (1) waging a frontal assault in India (with the addition of para-assaults); (2) keeping the carriers hidden for now; and (3) invading Sumatra in the spring of '43, timed to coincide with what will appear to be a massive Allied invasion of the Kuriles (to draw Brad's carriers north).

I hear ya, but the longer it takes for you to pull off the Sumatra gambit, the lower the potential yield in terms of surprise / trapping IJA in India. If you wait until 1943, my guess is that you will not achieve surprise, as that prospect becomes an increasingly obvious route of advance for the Allies as they gain strength in the region. In the critical words of either Model (or von Manteuffel, can't remember which) this frontal assault may be seen as a 'small solution'.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1066
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 12:27:24 AM   
vicberg

A word of warning....look at Yubari/Fatr AAR. Sumatra is far from supply and requires carrier support to pull off. Once you are there, you are committed, if you are going in with any force. It enables the decisive carrier engagement the japs are looking for in 1942. Warning warning will robinson, or hamlet....

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1067
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 1:22:36 AM   
Canoerebel

Well, both Chickenboy and vicberg are exactly right, and that's the horn of my dilemma. Sumatra requires surprise which means as early a move as possible, but Allied carriers cannot keep the supply lines open in '42 (and possibly even in '43, though the later the move the more troops and stuff I can bring).

I'm weighing these competing considerations constantly. There's a chance I'll decide against Sumatra, but I'm still hoping that a massive feint towards the Kuriles around March 1 will draw the KB.

Hard to believe the offensive is still still five months away (though all the pieces - especially ships - will have to be in the right place by early January).

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 1068
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 2:41:39 AM   
witpqs

It's not really a dilemma until you have the minimum required forces prepared for the operation. Then you have a dilemma "Now or later?" Until then you only have the option to surprise the hell out of the enemy with an operation that fails.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1069
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 2:52:52 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Well, both Chickenboy and vicberg are exactly right, and that's the horn of my dilemma. Sumatra requires surprise which means as early a move as possible, but Allied carriers cannot keep the supply lines open in '42 (and possibly even in '43, though the later the move the more troops and stuff I can bring).

I'm weighing these competing considerations constantly. There's a chance I'll decide against Sumatra, but I'm still hoping that a massive feint towards the Kuriles around March 1 will draw the KB.

Hard to believe the offensive is still still five months away (though all the pieces - especially ships - will have to be in the right place by early January).

Sumatra has always looked "huh?" to me due to the utter density of highly-developed IJA airbases at the junction between Sumatra and Java, Scenarios 2's air mechanics, and the need to depend on Allied CV air for a LONG time to get the ships in and unloaded, then resupply. Again, I sound like a broken shipyard record, but that piece of dirt is a long way from help for the Allies, while his back is to Singapore. There is a LOT of shallow, bad-sub water in that area too for you to deal with if using your subs for pickets or to hold back his surface TFs, and IJN subs have short re-arming runs, again, to Singers or Saigon. They can intercept in deep water to the SW and nibble away at your resupply. You won't have land-based ASW to help. Shallow water also favors his mines in non-base-hex open water choke points.

Based on your experience in India, do you think 8 division equivalents is enough to dislodge him? He'll have had 1.5 years to fortify as well. Sumatra isn't great tank country, but has decent RRs for his use from the north.

Overall, I think you'll get creamed from Java and naval thrusts south from areas inside his "lake." Sumatra isn't a stepping stone from a firm base of logistics--it's a leap into the darkness.

As for the Kuriles, I know you love you some feints, CR, but has be bitten on ANY in this game yet? Perhaps your reputation preceeds you.

Just my two centavos.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 12/17/2010 2:55:08 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1070
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 3:19:53 AM   
Canoerebel

witpqs - concise and dead right.

Bullwinkle - very persuasive.

Well, I have some time to think about things, so I think I will.

As for whether Brad has taken any of my feints, I can't tell very much from this side of the front lines.  I think he's paying very careful attention and building up his NoPac bases substantially - at least from SigInt and base development.

If I don't move on Sumatra, I think the Allies might go for a CenPac route followed by a move on New Guinea.  But for now I remain on the defensive.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 1071
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 3:22:39 AM   
princep01

Your AAR gets even more interesting now that you are at least TALKING about offensive actions, Admiral. Hurt those LYBs. Hurt them in India, smack them in the Pacific. Worry them in the Kuriles, but get really ready to fight one last defensive battle before 1943. He may be pre-occupied with RL, but before this year is out, you're going to face the bear in multiple locations. Nothing will upset his offensive plans more than you hectoring and raiding his units and LOCs. I kid you not though, you may think he transitioning to the defensive, but I don't share that view. He is going to go after you in India. Fortunately, you're ready there. Fiji will be attacked, maybe Midway too. All will occur before the end of 1942.

Post #: 1072
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 3:23:38 AM   
paullus99

Just right - he's already committed one costly mistake (India without going for the kill) & he's probably getting ready to stick his head out again to try to force you to fight (in particular, with your carriers). Let him attack, then as soon as he puts the KB in play, you can initiate one of your own offensive plans.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1073
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 3:24:42 AM   
JohnDillworth

quote:

But the real question: is CLAA flak (or any flak, for that matter) effective in the game?

I think the the single most f$%^ed weapon in the game is the Allied 5"/38 (although a case can be made for Allied medium bombers). That is the dual purpose gun with the proximity fused ordinance that should be awesome in 44-45, and maybe 43 but is just not modeled correctly. I understand that it is something to do with the dual-purpose nature of the gun. Something in the code prevents it from acting as an effective AA gun.
Although this is the primary weapon of the CLAA's it's not a factor this early in the war. I think the 40mm gun rules the roost at this point, more = better.

Post #: 1074
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 10:12:08 AM   
beppi

The only advise i can give you is.
Do not, i repeat do not launch any attacks prior to 6/43 where you have to only rely on your carriers.

Use a more passive approach based on an interlocking base system or attack him at the borders where KB cannot be there quite fast. A carrier engagement prior to 6/43 has a greater chance to fail for the allies than for japan. If he attacks you somewhere with KB then you have a chance but do not do any major offensive invasion with them far away from your large bases and/or large airfields. You won´t loose the game if you lose an carrier engagement but it will kick you back.

How is the current situation in northern australia or SW pacific ? Use your Engis and grow some bases somewhere there. There are a quite a lot of possibilities to attack begin of 43 where not even one carrier is neccesary.

< Message edited by beppi -- 12/17/2010 10:16:40 AM >

Post #: 1075
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 2:41:15 PM   
Canoerebel

As I wait for the next turn (in-box anxiety), some observations:

Jalagon: After pouring over the map and thinking things through, I'm nearly positive Brad is reconfiguring his forces and intends to stay and fight. I think he's moved two divisions out of Jalagon, on to the east and one to the south, to guard the hexes from which his army entered Jalagon. That leaves him with perhaps four or five divisions in the hex (not enough for him to do anything until major reinforcements arrive) while protecting his flanks. This is, I think, a big mistake. He should have attacked immediately. As it is, we're about to engage in a major campaign in which the Allies can match anything Brad commits plus have a decided advantage in the air.

Sumatra: This plan has been in place since day one. My original objective was to land with overwhelming force in the autumn of 1943 - at a point in which Allied carriers will be numerous enough to handle the KB. An important part of the plan was to create two believable, major diversions - one in the Kuriles and one somewhere in the Coral Sea/Solomons region. That plan still may be feasible, though the jury is out. In the meantime, though, I agree that an invasion of Sumatra in '42 or the first half of '43 is a recipe for disaster.

Initiative: The Allies are still anticipating Japanese attacks in the Pacific. In order of likelihood: Fiji, Midway, Baker Island (or vicinity), New Zealand, Aleutians. All of these posts are well-garrisoned, so I'm not scrambling to add troops. I would like to boost Fiji and New Zealand a bit, and have some troops heading that way. The Allies have troops pre-positioned and prepped to move once the KB shows itself at some point, thus indicating that distant points are free from that menace:

Wake/Marcus: If the KB shows up around Fiji, the Allies will move on Marcus and Wake. All troops are prepped and at Pearl Harbor. The Allies have two CVE, with three more scheduled to arrive in less than a month.

Noumea: If the KB shows up in CenPac, the Allies will soon be ready to move on Noumea, which is very lightly garrisoned. A condition precedent to this move is the Allied invasion of lightly held Norfolk Island, which is just a week or less away.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 12/17/2010 2:43:38 PM >

(in reply to beppi)
Post #: 1076
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 3:03:59 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

If I don't move on Sumatra, I think the Allies might go for a CenPac route followed by a move on New Guinea. 

The more I play this game, the more convinced I am that two 5-star admirals were smarter than this ex-Lt. staff corps weenie.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1077
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 8:11:31 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Allied carriers: The conditions that led me to keep my carriers available for possible action in the Arabian Sea have changed. The Allies will be fine in India without them. Should I elect against the Mangalore operation, then my carriers are no longer needed in this theater. SigInt just reported IJA 24th Division prepping for Midway, which I think is an important strategic target for Japan. There are also the looming threats against Fiji and possibly Baker or New Zealand. Therefore, I am strongly considering moving my carriers from Capetown to Balboa to be ready for action in the Pacific.

Assuming that you have: 1)Upgraded all TBD Devastators to TBF Avengers, and 2)Incorporated two or more Atlanta class CLAA's into your escorts, I add my vote to this idea. I don't advise a make-or-break battle against the entire KB, since that would give the IJN a chance for auto-victory. But a battle against a lesser number of Japanese CV's might produce valuable results. (And be highly entertaining to we readers.)

Balboa is too far from any action. It is about three weeks to get them to Samoa from Balboa. I would suggest Tahiti if he is not reconning that area.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 1078
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 8:56:49 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58
The more I play this game, the more convinced I am that two 5-star admirals were smarter than this ex-Lt. staff corps weenie.

I have mostly ingored CenPac in my previous three AE/WitP PBEM games, but starting with my previous AE game, I began to see tha benefits of not facing mutliple interlocking IJA airbases plus the KB. The going was awfully slow and bloody in my game vs. Miller. So I am contemplating the benefits of hitting IJ bases that are relatively isolated and thus relatively free from zillions of land-based aircraft.

Post #: 1079
RE: One Weird Battle - 12/17/2010 8:59:29 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton
Balboa is too far from any action. It is about three weeks to get them to Samoa from Balboa. I would suggest Tahiti if he is not reconning that area.

Balboa is only a waypoint on the route from Capetown to the Pacific. From there, I'll likely send my carriers to Tahiti (which isn't being reconned) or perhaps Hilo (trying to evade the Glens that are more likely to nose around Pearl Harbor).

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: One Weird Battle Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI