Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Modders Wishlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Modders Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Modders Wishlist - 10/29/2010 1:36:17 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kakuzu

Habitable Planet & Resource Slider
There should be a slider that lets the player choose how “alive” their galaxy is. The highest setting would create galaxies where habitable planets are abundant and uninhabitable worlds have valuable resources. Inversely, the lowest setting would create galaxies where habitable planets are rare and resources are scarce. Ultimately, this would allow the player to create prolific galaxies or “dead” galaxies that are loosely based on modern theory.

For modding purposes, the value would be set as an integer and would be chosen by the modder rather than the player.

In other words, each theme in the customization folder would have a txt file with a value, say 0-6, with 0 being the 'dead' galaxy, 3 being normal, and 6 being very much alive and kicking.

Where do the habitable planets go? Are they replaced by barren worlds or are there simply less of them?(this would generate alot of empty star systems)

(in reply to Kakuzu)
Post #: 91
RE: Modders Wishlist - 10/29/2010 4:17:10 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

quote:

There should be a slider that lets the player choose how “alive” their galaxy is. The highest setting would create galaxies where habitable planets are abundant and uninhabitable worlds have valuable resources. Inversely, the lowest setting would create galaxies where habitable planets are rare and resources are scarce. Ultimately, this would allow the player to create prolific galaxies or “dead” galaxies that are loosely based on modern theory.

For modding purposes, the value would be set as an integer and would be chosen by the modder rather than the player.

In other words, each theme in the customization folder would have a txt file with a value, say 0-6, with 0 being the 'dead' galaxy, 3 being normal, and 6 being very much alive and kicking.

Where do the habitable planets go? Are they replaced by barren worlds or are there simply less of them?(this would generate alot of empty star systems)

Would rather see a bunch of gas giant or barren rocks than empty star systems myself.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 92
RE: Modders Wishlist - 10/29/2010 8:15:15 PM   
Kakuzu

quote:

quote:

They would become barren worlds.

But yeah, that's pretty much the idea.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 93
RE: Modders Wishlist - 10/29/2010 8:45:11 PM   
Igard

Section 14d. Habitable Planet & Resource Modifier added.

Nice suggestion Kakuzu. I think this makes a huge difference for creating mods where there may be less 'out there'. Also for mods like Star Wars and Star Trek where there always seems to be a habitable world just round the next dust cloud.

(in reply to Kakuzu)
Post #: 94
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/10/2010 3:33:06 PM   
TheLastRonin

If we somehow got everything on this wish-list... Wow... There are no words for how awesome that would be.

*Crosses fingers*

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 95
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/17/2010 1:22:45 AM   
TheLastRonin

If we could somehow have a way of INCREASING the number of planet textures instead of REPLACING the textures we could make much more varied galaxies!

(in reply to TheLastRonin)
Post #: 96
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/17/2010 1:51:55 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheLastRonin

If we could somehow have a way of INCREASING the number of planet textures instead of REPLACING the textures we could make much more varied galaxies!

The problem there is that the more textures you have, the more of a resource hog the graphics become. The models are usually low polygon and not the problem...in DW, there are no models, so it really is a matter of textures..too many and the game won't run well at all.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to TheLastRonin)
Post #: 97
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/17/2010 4:14:50 AM   
Igard

This list needs some updating. I'll look into this at the weekend.

@TheLastRonin, Section 14 describes possible modding for planets. New planet images are in there somewhere. There are of course ALOT of planet images already in the game, so it's not a huge deal for me. There's still alot of variety.

< Message edited by Igard -- 12/17/2010 4:15:15 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 98
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/17/2010 5:10:24 AM   
Shark7

quote:

This list needs some updating. I'll look into this at the weekend.

@TheLastRonin, Section 14 describes possible modding for planets. New planet images are in there somewhere. There are of course ALOT of planet images already in the game, so it's not a huge deal for me. There's still alot of variety.

Agree, I am more about substance than eye candy.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 99
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/18/2010 6:20:03 PM   
Igard

I've managed to score off a couple of items. Added some titles to (try) make it easier to read.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 100
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/18/2010 9:14:26 PM   
Shark7

VERY IMPORTANT for the next update:

I just tried to add in a new race...keep getting an out of range exception when I try to add additional race pictures, as opposed to replacing. If we can add more than 22 races, we definately need the ability to add more than 22 race images.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 101
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/22/2010 4:50:15 AM   
Kushan04

Some things I'd like to see:

- Add/remove/modify components
- Add/remove/modify the tech tree.
- Set custom ship names for more then just the player's race
- Set racial friendliness on a per race basis. For example Humans always dislike the Quameno but always like the teekan.
- Add/remove/modify governments
- Edit government bonuses
- Modify the galactic history and add custom events and story elements

Kushan

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 102
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/23/2010 1:19:39 AM   
Igard

Appended section 1c. Additional race stats.

Toughness: Currently we can only adjust troop strength by changing aggression and intelligence. This makes sense in human terms, but an alien race could have many different characteristics which would enhance it's fighting ability.

It may be brute strength, bloodlust, a durable physique or it may even mean that the race has innate strategic skills. The Zackdorn in Star Trek for example don't necessarily have great technology, but they have a penchant for strategy and logistics which make them formidable on the battlefield.

(in reply to Kushan04)
Post #: 103
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/24/2010 3:12:41 PM   
Igard

Added section 4d. Include a carrier image and ship role for each shipset.

Suggested by Setekh on the master wishlist.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 104
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/27/2010 4:16:38 AM   
GeorgiaBoy

Just bought the game and the expansion...First time poster, longtime lurker with some modding questions...

I was wondering if any/all of these features are planned for future patches/expansion(s). I will place them in the modder's wishlist format:

Leaders like MoO2/3.

1c: Additional race stats

Ability to fine tune your race with racial picks a la MoO2/MoO3 at the beginning of the game (and during the game with ruins findings or tech breakthroughs).

Modifiers to:

A flag if the race is organic or not. The can determine if the race eats and can be eaten...
Organics Production (Food)
Economy--Increases/Reduces corruption, increases tax efficientcy.
Industry--Increases/Decreases Production speed relative to the average race.
Atmosphere Type--Oxygen/Nitrogen, Methane, Carbon Dioxide, Acidic, Radiated, Hydrogen, Ammonia, Sulfur Dioxide, Reducing (greenhouse), etc. Maybe that is too detailed...

A racial pick to be a member of the Galactic Senate would be nice...picking from a menu of laws to bring up for consideration.

Starting Homeworld--More/Less minerals, larger/smaller size, good ruins found immediately on home planet.
Creative/Uncreative--Increases/Decreases chance research is completed early (or late for low creativity).
Subterranean--Doubles occupiable space on a given planet.
Charismatic/Repulsive--Effects only organic races. Better relations trade is easier, negociating treaties is easier.
Telepathic--Effects only organic races. Espionage, Diplomacy is easier. Pacification of conquered population is easier.
Omniscient--See the entire (or just 1/4 or 1/2) map at the beginning of the game.
Aquatic--Gets a large production bonus, and increases livable space on all ocean worlds. Aquatic races also get a bonus on ice worlds, but not as much as ocean worlds.
Tolerant--Gets a large bonus for production and additional living space for Desert and less so for volcanic worlds.
Anaerobic--Can subsist on any world, save gas giants.
Stealthy Ships--Starts out with level 1 stealth ships and has access (as a racial tech which cannot be stolen) to the highest researchable stealth tech in the game.
Serendipity--Able to make great technological strides when falling behind in a game.

1d: Options for multiracial colonization/conquering (additional species families):

vi) Parasitic-- A racial trait which a race eats other organic races to grow stronger and reproduce.
vii) Cybernetic--Not organic (a plus), but eats production as well as food.
viii) Gaseous-- Species exists only on gas giants. Low reproduction.
ix) Astral--Can exist in outer space. Cannot tolerate gravity, so cannot colonize planets. Reproduction verrrry slow.
x) Geodic--Rock colonies only--Atmosphere does not matter.
xi) Shapeshifter--Can change appearance to fool scanners into believing another race is there or nothing at all...does not gain the bonuses (bonii) of the impersonated race, though.
xii) Pure Energy--Achieved through research at the end of the tech tree (plus a ruins finding(s)--possible victory condition).

Expeditions--I liked the 'Antaran X' expeditions from MoO 3--finding X number of artifacts also allows you a victory. Of course, these artifacts of the Shakturi, the Ancients, and whatever other races would be just a little difficult to get. One of these artifacts could be Unification government, which would be the best government in the game!

An annoying thing I found with Space Empires IV was that one could exploit the building of facilities. Four modifiers which would allow one certain facility per planet or per system or per player or per game would be nice...In terms of the one per game, it would be like a Civilization achievement.

Ability to mod the tech tree to add an unlimited amount of tech with the corresponding facilities/components, while keeping the seven groups of tech in the editor. Race/Ruin specific tech/tech trees would be great..

In summary, the suggestions in the above posts are great! Making DW moddable to the degree of Space Empires IV/V (text files) and Masters of Orion III (more text files, but DW avoids the problems of MoO3 with its interface and automation) would, in my opinion, make for the ultimate 4X game!

Just my .02

GB

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 105
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/27/2010 4:58:09 PM   
Igard

Welcom to the forums, GB. 

Great suggestion, I've added them to the list. I removed a couple of things as they were on the list already. Some of the suggestions might belong on the master wishlist thread like the galactic senate idea. I think something like that has been suggested before though. Doesn't hurt to post it again mind you.

So, that's sections 1c and 1d appended.

(in reply to GeorgiaBoy)
Post #: 106
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/28/2010 5:07:21 AM   
GeorgiaBoy

quote:

Welcom to the forums, GB. 

Great suggestion, I've added them to the list. I removed a couple of things as they were on the list already. Some of the suggestions might belong on the master wishlist thread like the galactic senate idea. I think something like that has been suggested before though. Doesn't hurt to post it again mind you.

So, that's sections 1c and 1d appended.

Thanks for the mighty quick append, Igard. I wonder how many patches/expansions it will take to get DW to the level of moddability of SE IV or MoO3? Just wondering out loud...

GB

< Message edited by GeorgiaBoy -- 12/28/2010 5:29:12 AM >

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 107
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/29/2010 12:51:01 AM   
Andrew Brown

I would like to see the following be able to be modded (repeated from some previous posts):

• Ship component data, such as effectiveness of weapons and, especially, cost. This should also include, or affect, maintenance costs.
  • The size of the galactic map, being able to make it larger or smaller, even if the number of stars/planets is not altered accordingly. In fact it would be best to have the two as separately modifiable. This has been requested many times before I know - just adding another voice.
  • The ability to slow down ship movement significantly
  • In addition to these suggestions, the ability to start with a more "basic" or "primitive" empire, with very few or no ships and nothing existing outside of the home system.

I prefer a slow and more "epic" feel to games, which includes slow rates of expansion, slow rates of tech advance, and fewer, more expensive and more durable ships (also more expensive to maintain).

(in reply to GeorgiaBoy)
Post #: 108
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/29/2010 5:59:45 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Appended section 1c. Additional race stats.

Toughness: Currently we can only adjust troop strength by changing aggression and intelligence. This makes sense in human terms, but an alien race could have many different characteristics which would enhance it's fighting ability.

It may be brute strength, bloodlust, a durable physique or it may even mean that the race has innate strategic skills. The Zackdorn in Star Trek for example don't necessarily have great technology, but they have a penchant for strategy and logistics which make them formidable on the battlefield.

On the toughness. Think of an alien that grows its own armor plating...it would have a natural resistance to small arms fire. Or perhaps it has redundant vital organs, making it able to survive injuries that would kill a man. And Mechanoid races...they can be armored or shielded as well as being able to function with massive damage.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 109
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/29/2010 6:05:51 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

I would like to see the following be able to be modded (repeated from some previous posts):

• Ship component data, such as effectiveness of weapons and, especially, cost. This should also include, or affect, maintenance costs.
  • The size of the galactic map, being able to make it larger or smaller, even if the number of stars/planets is not altered accordingly. In fact it would be best to have the two as separately modifiable. This has been requested many times before I know - just adding another voice.
  • The ability to slow down ship movement significantly
  • In addition to these suggestions, the ability to start with a more "basic" or "primitive" empire, with very few or no ships and nothing existing outside of the home system.

I prefer a slow and more "epic" feel to games, which includes slow rates of expansion, slow rates of tech advance, and fewer, more expensive and more durable ships (also more expensive to maintain).

In this regard we are in full agreement. I like really slow progressing games.

Another thing we need to be able to mod is the cost of the colony tech to slow the expansion. As it is now, I can still have a dozen colonies by the first autosave.

Modders shoule be able to:

• Modify the cost of techs
  • Modify the componant requirements of ships
  • Make the base colony componant something that needs to be researched prior to being able to build a colony ship

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 110
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/29/2010 6:08:48 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Brown

Same here, that's one going to be one of the first things I do if we ever get the ability to mod components. Slow down hyperdrive speed and reduce fuel capacity. Increase cost of colonisation modules and so forth.

(in reply to Andrew Brown)
Post #: 111
RE: Modders Wishlist - 12/29/2010 8:10:38 PM   
BigWolfChris

Personally I'd be happy with full moddability over components, techs and ai scripting (there is a fourth but I can't remember what it was now lol)

And what I mean is, is basically the ability to create your own versions from scratch (eg. look at some Space Empires mods)

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 112
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/2/2011 3:35:03 AM   
Igard

Added section 15b. Save file for other empires list.

It would be useful to have a save file for the list of other empires screen so that we can load a specific list of empires including every field for each empire. We could then include this file with our mods.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 113
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/2/2011 3:37:50 PM   
BigWolfChris

Oh I remember the fourth now
Be able to create custom galaxies that you can load up with new games, rather than having to edit a savegame and load it up as a savegame

Simply put, an editor that doesn't require you to start a game first

< Message edited by BigWolf -- 1/2/2011 3:38:46 PM >

MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 114
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/12/2011 5:00:13 PM   
Igard

Thanks BigWolf. Tech and component modding is on the list. AI scripting is something that I'm not sure about. It seems to me like all the races in DW use the same script, but with different variables. I could be wrong, the Shakturi and the Mechanoids seem to have some unique behaviour.

Added section 15c. An editor that doesn't require you to start a game first. I'm not sure what form you want this to take. I would say it would be best as a seperate app from the game. That way we can create a galaxy set up and include it in each mod. If it were an in-game editor, then it wouldn't really be for modding, it would just be a game feature (extra galaxy set up options).

Added section 15d. Menu graphics and UI. This was taken from a suggestion by HectorOfTroy from another thread. Good one this. I'd need to find some LCARS graphics for my ST mods!

< Message edited by Igard -- 1/12/2011 5:01:22 PM >

Post #: 115
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/12/2011 9:12:37 PM   
BigWolfChris

quote:

Thanks BigWolf. Tech and component modding is on the list. AI scripting is something that I'm not sure about. It seems to me like all the races in DW use the same script, but with different variables. I could be wrong, the Shakturi and the Mechanoids seem to have some unique behaviour.

Alot of games with moddable AI scripting tend to have a default script (or master script) and then each race would then have it's own that would either completely overwrite the default/master or add too it

quote:

Added section 15c. An editor that doesn't require you to start a game first. I'm not sure what form you want this to take. I would say it would be best as a seperate app from the game. That way we can create a galaxy set up and include it in each mod. If it were an in-game editor, then it wouldn't really be for modding, it would just be a game feature (extra galaxy set up options).

External, internal, either will work
The main thing I would be after with it is to be able to load up custom made galaxies that aren't savegames
For example, using the editor to create a near realistic starmap of the Alpha/Beta Quads in Star Trek
Currently, you would need to create a separate download for each playable race if you wanted to share it
With the ability to load up just the starmap and then have the new game setup add everything else, you would then only need one download
If you also want to go really fancy, you can even put markers to say if a certain race is chosen as player/ai then it's placed at that specific spot if it's not be taken already by another player/ai with the same race

This would also lead up creating custom scenarios to share with the community, but the community still be able to choose what races they want involved (whereas atm, without editing the save yourself, you would be stuck with the creators choice)

MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 116
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/12/2011 10:19:59 PM   
Igard

Added section 1k. AI scripting.

Edited section 15c.

15c. A Galaxy editor that doesn't require you to start a game first. Be able to create custom galaxies that you can load up with new games, rather than having to edit a savegame and load it up as a savegame. This would allow us to create a custom galaxy save file that can be loaded at the galaxy set up screen. Including such a file with our mods would greatly increase the realism of the mod.

Good suggestions, BigWolf.

I wonder if I should do a top 10 modders wishes at the very top of the page? Would that be a good idea? If so what suggestions from the list are top priority?

< Message edited by Igard -- 1/12/2011 10:20:17 PM >

Post #: 117
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/13/2011 6:52:52 AM   
Shark7

quote:

Added section 1k. AI scripting.

Edited section 15c.

15c. A Galaxy editor that doesn't require you to start a game first. Be able to create custom galaxies that you can load up with new games, rather than having to edit a savegame and load it up as a savegame. This would allow us to create a custom galaxy save file that can be loaded at the galaxy set up screen. Including such a file with our mods would greatly increase the realism of the mod.

Good suggestions, BigWolf.

I wonder if I should do a top 10 modders wishes at the very top of the page? Would that be a good idea? If so what suggestions from the list are top priority?

Top 10 would be good, at least it would let Elliot see what we want most as a group. I suspect you might need to run a few polls to see where people stand on the issues though.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 118
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/13/2011 7:07:38 AM   
Igard

Absolutely, I couldn't decide this myself. I've got no idea which one I want first now.

I don't think these forums support a poll feature do they? Should we just do the poll right here on this thread or start a new thread for it?

Either way, I'll start making a list of items for the poll.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 119
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/13/2011 7:12:55 AM   
Shark7

New thread, just have everyone read the front page that you have kept updated and let them rate their top 10 from 1 (most wanted) to 10 (wanted). Keeping up with the results will require a bit of writing or an excel spreadsheet, but could be done.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Modders Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI