Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Modders Wishlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Modders Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/13/2011 7:45:47 AM   
Shark7

This is basically something Data suggested, but I've refined it down a bit:

Ability to designate shipyards for open, civilian, or military construction.

• Open - Default: These shipyards build whatever comes up in the queue, just like we have now.
  • Military: These player designated shipyards build only military ships, and are there for always available for new military construction. Civilian ships will never be built at a designated military yard.
  • Civilian: These shipyards build the civilian ships as queued up by the AI, the exception is that they can be forced to a military ship by opening the shipyard itself and ordering the military ship into the queue.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 121
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/13/2011 8:28:05 AM   
Igard

Added section 4e. Ability to designate shipyards for open, civilian, or military construction.

That's a good one. It might go on my top 10.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 122
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/13/2011 10:47:29 AM   
RViener

Screen lock icon should change between locked and unlocked icon.
Bob

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 123
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/13/2011 9:20:01 PM   
BigWolfChris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

This is basically something Data suggested, but I've refined it down a bit:

Ability to designate shipyards for open, civilian, or military construction.

• Open - Default: These shipyards build whatever comes up in the queue, just like we have now.
  • Military: These player designated shipyards build only military ships, and are there for always available for new military construction. Civilian ships will never be built at a designated military yard.
  • Civilian: These shipyards build the civilian ships as queued up by the AI, the exception is that they can be forced to a military ship by opening the shipyard itself and ordering the military ship into the queue.

Surely, this really wouldn't for the mod list though?
Wouldn't this be something for the masterlist to be coded into the game itself?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 124
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/13/2011 9:32:41 PM   
Igard

I think I'd like to see it get implemented in the game before we get a chance to mod it, but then it does no harm in adding it to the mod list.

It's a good idea though and one that should probably be on the master list too.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 125
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/13/2011 9:40:54 PM   
BigWolfChris

I've quoted it on the master wishlist, but thing is, if it's put into the core game, nothing would be gained by modding it unless we're able to build multiple types of yards

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 126
RE: Modders Wishlist - 1/13/2011 11:37:40 PM   
Shark7

No, I got the wrong wishlist when I posted. Much better in the main wishlist. I really should not post at 2 in the morning.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 127
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 1/14/2011 1:04:41 AM   
Igard

Time to change the name of the thread I think.

From now on this thread is called, the Modder's Masterlist.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 128
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 1/14/2011 1:42:12 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Time to change the name of the thread I think.

From now on this thread is called, the Modder's Masterlist.

You're just trying to make it worse...I'm dazed and confused enough as it is.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 129
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 1/14/2011 6:55:57 AM   
Data

i experience the same at those late hours....nothing could make it better so why not make it worse?

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 130
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 1/14/2011 2:06:01 PM   
Igard

Haha. Most of my posts are at those late hours, so I guess that's why I'm always talking such nonsense!

I think having 2 threads with the word 'wishlist' was what threw people off a bit.

Removed section 4e. Ability to designate shipyards for open, civilian, or military construction. I still think it could be a good idea, but only depending on what direction the game's modding takes. If we can mod each individual ship and base design, then that would be very interesting, but I'm not sure if it's the right way to go.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 131
Modifiers and Other Suggestions - 1/21/2011 2:43:24 AM   
GeorgiaBoy

I am not sure where to post these ideas. Since I would like to edit modifiers (such as Population, Maximum Population, Morale, Production, Maximum Number of Facilities, Total Wealth, Income per time unit, etc.) I posted here...Anyway, I noticed in many 4x games, the modifiers could not be edited very much. I would like to edit each modifier to increase or decrease by percentage or number. (Example 30% or 30000) Each modifier could be changed by +, -, *, or /. Another tag on the modifier would effect singly or all ship, facility, planet, system, empire, or game. In other words, a ship, component, or facility can be limited to one per game (first to build), one per player, system, planet or ship/facility.

Also, I would like to have optional weapon modifiers ala MoO2/3.
Examples are:

Point Defense--Cuts range, but increases fire rate.
Ignores Armor
Ignores Shields
No Range Limitation
Rapid Fire--Increases Fire Rate, decreases chance to hit.
Overloaded--Double Damage/4X Cost
All components can be mininturized.

Finally, here are some interesting suggestions for weapons which I would like to be able to create via modding (if not already in/suggested):

Ship Components
Stasis Field--Freezes ship in place for that turn
Limpet Mines--Launches like a torpedo, but with each hit, slows down the target ship by X%.
Shield Depleting Weapons/Shields that are immune from depletion.
Anti Missles-Defends against missles only.
Antimatter Vortex--Destroys any one ship in one turn per ship size.--must destroy ship creating gateway to save ship.
Plasma Web--Slows target and does damage for each turn the target remains in the web or the web is destroyed. The web can be targeted.
Ionic Pulse--Area of Effect weapon inflicting damage on every enemy ship and missle in range.
Repair Drones
Energy Draining Field--Substitutes for shields, drains X% of incoming energy weapons.
Refraction Field--Any energy directed at field is refracted at X% back at the shooter.
Displacement Field--Lowers chance for weapons to hit.
Hard Shields--Exempt from 'ignores shields' modifier. Stops/slows damage from every weapon.
High Energy Field--Area of Effect weapon, destroys any missle, fighter, or bomber in its range.
Self-Destruct Weapon
Shield Rechargers--Recharges shields at X%
Tractor Beam--Slows enemy movement, makes hitting enemy easier.
Warp Dissipator--Prevents escape of targeted ship.
Nanite Streamer--Takes control of an enemy ships systems, giving you control of the ship.Some races immune.
Spacial Compressor--Enables more conponents (X% or raw number) on a ship.
Subspace Phasing Device--Enables ship to 'phase out', so energy or a projectile passes straight through.

Flag so components can only be used by AI or not. Finally, additional racial traits (which a player starts with at the beginning of the game) can be researched through the tech tree. This would resemble the 'evolutionary mutation' trait in MoO2.

Just my .02

Igard, please update the master list as you see fit, adding all/some/ or none of the suggestions...

GB

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 132
RE: Modifiers and Other Suggestions - 1/21/2011 9:06:53 AM   
Data

wow, GeorgiaBoy, nice debut

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to GeorgiaBoy)
Post #: 133
RE: Modifiers and Other Suggestions - 1/25/2011 4:52:15 PM   
GeorgiaBoy

Thanks Data. I have modded other 4X games and have seen these lacking in moddability in other games. I believe I read somewhere that the tech tree moddability will be next on the patch list . That patch will tell me a lot about how robust the modding will be compared to other titles such as SE V or MoO3. In my opinion, Gal Civ II (with all of the expansions), SE IV, and BotF (it simply was not coded to be modded, although the fan community has made TREMENDOUS strides) do not have the robust modding options the first two games have (that I know of). I understand CodeForce/Matrix are not exactly the size of EA, but having to 'settle' for an average space 4X game since MoO 2/Ascendancy leaves me with high expectations. I suspect many here agree with me are fine with spending the money (limit for me is $200 USD for base game and ALL expansions--that is how much I would like the perfectly moddable game) if our expectations are fulfilled.

Have a good one,

GB

P.S. I wonder if there would be a modding option for the Shakturi to invade mid/late game 'full force' into the galaxy--like the Borg in Birth of the Federation?

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 134
RE: Modifiers and Other Suggestions - 1/30/2011 8:28:49 PM   
Igard

Appended section 5a. Moddable weapons.

Great suggestions GeorgiaBoy. Sorry for taking so long to update. I've added the weapons ideas to the list. The only slight problem I have with this is, I'd rather have a list of attributes rather than actual weapon types. That way we can say 'this is what we want to edit for each weapon' rather than 'these are weapons we want included'. So some of it probably belongs on the master wishlist and I may go through it myself and actually make a list of attributes/properties. For the moment though, this is the best list of various weapon types I've seen so really nice work.

quote:

I am not sure where to post these ideas. Since I would like to edit modifiers (such as Population, Maximum Population, Morale, Production, Maximum Number of Facilities, Total Wealth, Income per time unit, etc.) I posted here...Anyway, I noticed in many 4x games, the modifiers could not be edited very much. I would like to edit each modifier to increase or decrease by percentage or number. (Example 30% or 30000) Each modifier could be changed by +, -, *, or /. Another tag on the modifier would effect singly or all ship, facility, planet, system, empire, or game. In other words, a ship, component, or facility can be limited to one per game (first to build), one per player, system, planet or ship/facility.

I'm leaving this out, because I have to honestly say, I don't understand some of it. Apologies for this, it's not a critisism, but more of a lack of understanding on my part. I think some of it is already moddable, such as morale and population growth, but things like Max facilities and Total wealth, I'm going to need more info before I can add it to the list.

Of course, putting it on the list is not so essential, you're still getting your point across. However if you really want it on the list, maybe just write it out in a way that I can easily copy and paste it. Remember folks, it's all about making it easy for Elliot. The less head aches he has, the quicker we'll get some extra support for modding.

(in reply to GeorgiaBoy)
Post #: 135
RE: Modifiers and Other Suggestions - 1/31/2011 12:03:05 AM   
Data

amen to that, Igard
once again, great job from your part as well

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 136
RE: Modifiers and Other Suggestions - 2/2/2011 3:36:24 AM   
GeorgiaBoy

quote:

Appended section 5a. Moddable weapons.

Great suggestions GeorgiaBoy. Sorry for taking so long to update. I've added the weapons ideas to the list. The only slight problem I have with this is, I'd rather have a list of attributes rather than actual weapon types. That way we can say 'this is what we want to edit for each weapon' rather than 'these are weapons we want included'. So some of it probably belongs on the master wishlist and I may go through it myself and actually make a list of attributes/properties. For the moment though, this is the best list of various weapon types I've seen so really nice work.

quote:

I'm leaving this out, because I have to honestly say, I don't understand some of it. Apologies for this, it's not a critisism, but more of a lack of understanding on my part. I think some of it is already moddable, such as morale and population growth, but things like Max facilities and Total wealth, I'm going to need more info before I can add it to the list.

Of course, putting it on the list is not so essential, you're still getting your point across. However if you really want it on the list, maybe just write it out in a way that I can easily copy and paste it. Remember folks, it's all about making it easy for Elliot. The less head aches he has, the quicker we'll get some extra support for modding.

Hi Igard,

Thanks for appending the modding master list. I have a tendency to babble on, so I will give some examples:

I would like to mod all applicable variables by addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division (percentage) setting an additional boolean to round up or down. The two variables you cited in my post were just examples:

TotalWealth--Simply the total amount of cash on hand at the time.

MinFacilities/MaxFacilities would be the minimum/maximum amount of facilities on a planet. MinFacilities/MaxFacilities would be an integer with an additional flag stating the min/max facilities per planet, system, player, or game. For example, a player can build a unique facility (like the Selay Mustering Base in BotF), but the first player to build this would be the only one built in the game (one per game). Maybe a spacedock facility could have a limit of building one per system. A planetary shield facility would have a limit of one per planet.

Thanks for the hard work, Igard! I am looking forward of doing a Master of Orion Mod eventually, if I can do a very faithful translation...

GB

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 137
RE: Modifiers and Other Suggestions - 2/2/2011 7:06:48 AM   
Igard

Section 12d. Moddable Facilities added. Nice, GB. Thankyou.

Total Wealth. Do you mean the starting amount for each race?

(in reply to GeorgiaBoy)
Post #: 138
RE: Modifiers and Other Suggestions - 2/3/2011 3:16:04 AM   
GeorgiaBoy

quote:

Section 12d. Moddable Facilities added. Nice, GB. Thankyou.

Total Wealth. Do you mean the starting amount for each race?

Hi Igard,

This is just an opinion. I believe 'Total Wealth' only counts cash on hand, not scrap value of assets (facilities, ships, etc.) after the game starts. No need to post the 'Total Wealth' variable, just that modifiers can be modded by addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. Examples:

A merchant gives Umpire Empire 10000 credits. This would be +10000
The Umpire Empire is robbed by Bandits for 10000 credits. This would be -10000
The Umpire Empire pays a tribute to da Greedy Pirates of 10% of wealth...If Total Wealth is 10000, then Total Wealth*0.90=9000, for a loss of 1000.

Have a good one,

GB

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 139
RE: Modifiers and Other Suggestions - 2/23/2011 8:08:23 PM   
princej

I actually did not see this anywhere on the list so if its there I missed it , but here are some suggestions of what I would like to be able to see/do:

1) binary / trinary star systems. It would certainly be very cool looking to be able to add binary or trinary star systems and give a bonus for scenary.
2)currently , you may have up to 20 races in a game , I suggest atleast doubling this to 40.

(in reply to GeorgiaBoy)
Post #: 140
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 3/16/2011 9:40:29 PM   
jrhindo

Hi I would like to give some propositions that doesnt seem to be present in the list:
-All celestial bodies should be colonisable (except suns ofc). Gas giants could have floating cities, think of a city like Bespin of star wars but completely isolated from the planet's atmosphere. Same for all the useless rock planets, they should be colonisable just build a domed city. This kind of colonisation obviously require engineering skills and some thourough research before actual attempts, and could be quite expensives, but would sure give more strategic possibilities.
-Colonisation attempts should have the possibility to fail. Simple realism and would slow down a bit the expansion of empires.
-I had a third but i forgot....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 141
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 3/16/2011 10:04:43 PM   
Data

I like them, especially the last one
But these belong to the wishlist, this one here is for modders and modding does not allow us to do this (not now and not ever I think as this belongs to the game itself)
welcome to the community, jrhindo

PS just to make sure, I really do like both ideas and while the first one have been proposed one way or another until now the second one it's brand new and very interesting so you should really wishlist them. The general wishlist is here

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2418281&mpage=37&key=

(in reply to jrhindo)
Post #: 142
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 3/17/2011 9:59:39 PM   
jrhindo

Great, I have a tradition to post my first post in the wrong thread. thanks for the redirection
Edit: Oh I just remembered, what my 3rd suggestion was! Space cities!

< Message edited by jrhindo -- 3/17/2011 10:03:36 PM >

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 143
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 3/22/2011 1:14:44 AM   
Igard

Added section 1L. Racial policy settings. The idea of adding a constructor build ratio to number of colonies was an idea from alexalexuk on another thread.

EDIT: I forgot to copy this here.

Define what each race will and wont do based on some of the racial policy settings and a few more as follows :-

• Ratio of constructors to colonies. When there are X amount of colonies, build X amount of constructors etc.

• Does the race build robotic troop facilities? (Y/N)

• Does the race build planet shields? (Y/N)

• Does the race build troop cloning facilities? (Y/N)

• Does the race build mostly small ships or large ships? (1=small 2=normal 3=large)

• Does the race build the giant ion cannon? (Y?N)

• Colony tax rates for small medium and large colonies. (1=low 2 =medium 3=high)

• Use bombardment against enemy colonies? (Y/N)

• Use planet destroyers against enemy colonies? (Y/N)

• Harass enemies with attacks of opportunity? (Y/N)

• Prepare preemptive strikes? (Y/N)

• Attack enemy target types, colonies/spaceports/mining/fleets. (1=low 2=medium 3=emphasize)

Appended section 1h. Space ogres. Just wanted to add to Shark7's idea of ogres not necessarily ogres, but a normal civilisation that has not developed FTL travel, like our own.

I also went through the list and removed any game features that, as yet, don't appear in the game. I'll only add suggestions from now on that are direct modifications of current game features.

New ideas and additions to the game such as 'Race can colonise gas giants' should be added to the master wishlist thread.

Sorry to invoke the dictatorial approach, but I just feel that things were straying from the goal a bit here. I'll still remain flexible to certain ideas, but things that just aren't possible in the game, can't be modded.

Thank you.

< Message edited by Igard -- 3/22/2011 3:16:26 PM >

(in reply to jrhindo)
Post #: 144
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 3/28/2011 3:31:58 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Added section 1L. Racial policy settings. The idea of adding a constructor build ratio to number of colonies was an idea from alexalexuk on another thread.

EDIT: I forgot to copy this here.

Define what each race will and wont do based on some of the racial policy settings and a few more as follows :-

• Ratio of constructors to colonies. When there are X amount of colonies, build X amount of constructors etc.

• Does the race build robotic troop facilities? (Y/N)

• Does the race build planet shields? (Y/N)

• Does the race build troop cloning facilities? (Y/N)

• Does the race build mostly small ships or large ships? (1=small 2=normal 3=large)

• Does the race build the giant ion cannon? (Y?N)

• Colony tax rates for small medium and large colonies. (1=low 2 =medium 3=high)

• Use bombardment against enemy colonies? (Y/N)

• Use planet destroyers against enemy colonies? (Y/N)

• Harass enemies with attacks of opportunity? (Y/N)

• Prepare preemptive strikes? (Y/N)

• Attack enemy target types, colonies/spaceports/mining/fleets. (1=low 2=medium 3=emphasize)

Appended section 1h. Space ogres. Just wanted to add to Shark7's idea of ogres not necessarily ogres, but a normal civilisation that has not developed FTL travel, like our own.

I also went through the list and removed any game features that, as yet, don't appear in the game. I'll only add suggestions from now on that are direct modifications of current game features.

New ideas and additions to the game such as 'Race can colonise gas giants' should be added to the master wishlist thread.

Sorry to invoke the dictatorial approach, but I just feel that things were straying from the goal a bit here. I'll still remain flexible to certain ideas, but things that just aren't possible in the game, can't be modded.

Thank you.

All good ideas.

I would like to add that the shipbuilding could be broken down even further to percentages.

For instance, lets say that space elves like fast, nimble ships...perhaps their build rates would be 60% small, 30% Medium, and 10% large.

If we broke it down so that Escort/Frigate are small ships, Destroyers/cruisers are medium ships, and Capital ships are large, then for every 10 ships built, 6 would be escorts or frigates, 3 would be destroyers or cruisers, and only 1 would be a capital ship.

Now on the other hand, big stupid space ogres believe live by the motto "If brute force doesn't get the job done you aren't using enough." They might break for 50/40/10 large/medium/small...so they get 5 capitals, 4 DD/CA, and only 1 E/FF.

Just some added thoughts.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 145
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 4/10/2011 8:03:06 PM   
Simulation01

Is anyone modifying the Strategic images...or can they be modified currently?

What I'm talking about are the image shapes that are used to indicate ships when you are zoomed all the way out to the strategic level. Right now we have colored triangles that represent military ships.

What I'd like to see is race specific images to represent those ships. Say if you are playing a Star Trek mod...the Federation comm badge symbol would indicate Federation ships...the Romulan's would have their logo, the Cardassians, Dominion, Borg, etc...etc... That would be incredibly cool and the thought reminds me of the strategic maps you would sometimes see during the Dominion War on Deep Space Nine.

I would really like to see something like this done....it would add and incredible amount of flavor...and BTW it would look awesome in all the other mods too...imagine the Rebel Alliance and the Empire logo's!!!

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 146
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 4/10/2011 11:33:54 PM   
Igard

Added section 11b. Strategic icons.

Pure genius, Sim. Ge-nee-uss.

You know I always prefer things when you put them in a Star Trek context.

I changed the description from what you wrote, hope that was clear enough.

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 147
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 4/11/2011 1:31:36 AM   
Simulation01

quote:

Added section 11b. Strategic icons.

Pure genius, Sim. Ge-nee-uss.

You know I always prefer things when you put them in a Star Trek context.

I changed the description from what you wrote, hope that was clear enough.

Awesome! Thanks Igard.

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 148
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 4/11/2011 7:21:52 AM   
J HG T

Simulations suggestion reminds me of Sins where every type of ship had its own strategic icon. That would be great in DW.
Supporting this idea, we are.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Simulation01)
Post #: 149
RE: The Modder's Masterlist - 4/11/2011 7:30:55 AM   
Data

Aye, we also

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: Modders Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI