Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thunderstorm attack

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Thunderstorm attack Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thunderstorm attack - 7/31/2010 6:59:04 AM   
newoldposter

I am in a PBEM game where I both attacked and was attacked..(a CV battle) While the hex I was in had thunderstorms...

Is this right? I do have the file..
Post #: 1
RE: Thunderstorm attack - 7/31/2010 8:08:35 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: newoldposter

I am in a PBEM game where I both attacked and was attacked..(a CV battle) While the hex I was in had thunderstorms...

Is this right? I do have the file..

happens all the time so I guess that´s wad

(in reply to newoldposter)
Post #: 2
RE: Thunderstorm attack - 7/31/2010 8:29:14 AM   
Puhis

I think 90 % of all air attacks happens during thunderstorm, severe storm or heavy rain...

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 3
RE: Thunderstorm attack - 7/31/2010 9:33:55 AM   
Knavey

Just because you see the clouds, doesn't mean that they are going to close your flight ops down or that you will not get attacked. It only has a chance of disrupting things.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 4
RE: Thunderstorm attack - 7/31/2010 6:22:21 PM   
newoldposter

Really? Historically how many instances of sucessful naval air attacks happened during a Thunderstorm? Visability would be next to nothing wind sheer quite a problem..

Do you know of any? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic but honestly..in World War II, I looked and could not find any. Even today, with all our technology, it would through off quite a bit of our weapon systems.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

Just because you see the clouds, doesn't mean that they are going to close your flight ops down or that you will not get attacked. It only has a chance of disrupting things.

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 5
RE: Thunderstorm attack - 7/31/2010 7:06:10 PM   
Knavey

I think its more like a high percentage chance of scrubbing the action in that hex. Since the hexes are 40 miles wide there is still a chance there are areas that are not affected by the thunderstorms.

Coral Sea was one of those IIRC. Some ships were obscured by clouds (Zui?) and not subject to attack while others were unable to hide in the squalls and so got hammered.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

Post #: 6
RE: Thunderstorm attack - 8/2/2010 12:49:42 PM   
Botany Bay

Clouds are not the same as thunderstorms..

(in reply to Knavey)
Post #: 7
RE: Thunderstorm attack - 8/2/2010 10:13:26 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: newoldposter

Really? Historically how many instances of sucessful naval air attacks happened during a Thunderstorm? Visability would be next to nothing wind sheer quite a problem..

Do you know of any? I'm not asking this to be sarcastic but honestly..in World War II, I looked and could not find any. Even today, with all our technology, it would through off quite a bit of our weapon systems.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Knavey

You are talking a hex that is about 45 square miles. Some thunderstorms were very big and you could not even risk flying in, but mostly when you have thunderstorms in warm seas you are talking about a number of small squalls with some fair weather in between. The kind of thing a lucky ship might hide in but just as easily get caught in the open. This is exactly what happened to the Hornet during the battle of Santa Cruz. The Big E was able to hide in a sqall but the Hornet remained out in the open and got hammered.

The big thunderstorms sweeping in line such as we get on the East Coast of the US are not as common over water where you don't have large land masses.

I remember from my days out there at sea that you could go in and out of a squall in a few minutes. Lots of rainbows and you might see a waterspout or two.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 8
RE: Thunderstorm attack - 8/6/2010 1:32:13 AM   
TheElf

Thunderstorms, can be isolated, or scattered....this isn't represented in game, but it is true...

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Thunderstorm attack Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI