Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Lost Fleet

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Lost Fleet Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/24/2010 12:55:48 AM   
rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

Reading this reminds me of the LensMan series by E.E. Doc Smith. First Sci Fi series I ever read. 

I loved that series! Ole' Doc sure could spin a yarn, even if the physics of his space battles was... to put it mildly... strange.

I remember some of his books where he had fleets of 10,000 starships each forming into cones and just crashing headlong into the enemy formed into a solid wall and 5,000 ships would collide in the first instant of battle! Other times they would form "battle lines" like a naval campaign and thousands of ships would follow end to end as the battle lines blasted each other. Incredible stuff, but it was still a lot of fun! I'll have to dig into the moldy old boxes of sci-fi and find the actual titles of these. As I recall, the Lensmen series wasn't quite so wild.

Someone besides me read them? Yay!

Just checked Amazon and they have a Doc Smith collection of eight novels for 99 cents.

The Galaxy Primes
Masters of Space
The Skylark of Space
Skylark Three
Spacehounds of IPC
Subspace Survivors
Triplanetary
The Vortex Blaster

Had to buy it There are lot of these kinds of collections out there, the items included are sometimes a bit "spotty" and some complain about what they are getting... but, HEY, it's NINETY NINE CENTS for God's sake!

You can lots of these free at the Project Gutenberg site in generic e-book format, but I'm too lazy to bother so I just get the Amazon versions and pay a nominal fee for the convenience of getting them instantly downloaded to my Kindle without going through my computer for a download.

Ebook readers are the way to go.. no doubt. I've never run across a Kindle owner yet who isn't just delighted with it and is rediscovering pleasure reading.

Love & Peace,

Far Dareis Mai

My old Piczo site seems to be gone, so no more Navajo Nation pics :(

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 61
RE: The Lost Fleet - 10/24/2010 4:41:38 AM   
ilovestrategy

Thanks Rhonda! 

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to rhondabrwn)
Post #: 62
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: The Lost Fleet Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI