Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

New player with a question about factory/resourse locations

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New player with a question about factory/resourse locations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
New player with a question about factory/resourse locat... - 8/5/2010 2:31:16 PM   
LTC

Well firstly,

hello peeps

I have mostly played western front boardgames and some computergames so thought i would try my hand at a pacific game, tho i confess i am not very knowledgeable about the theatre outside area gains by japan, aircraft, ships etc i don't know by name/type so have some catch up there.

my questions are,

I have started a game ( my first even) and i realise that the economy for japan is limited so i have been running about checking what HI, LI, resourses, oil etc are located around the map so i can determine what i can leave behind and what i can take out without causing a shortfall. If i have understood the system then for example i have a requirement of 180 fuel/day and 6000 resourses/day to power the industry located on the home island of hokkaido which produces about 150 oil/day and ~22000 resourses/day so i can safely remove the oil and 15k resourses without detriment.

I was about to check the same for china etc but i find this a slow process of locating the city on map then checking the industry tab and locating that city to see what is required and what is surplus. What i wanted to know is am i missing something that allows me to check the balance by region to save time or is the city by city check the only way to calculate the values for a specific area to see what i can pull out and what i must replace.

As an aside, the units for army groups seem somewhat spread out, i realise that you wont have fully organised in range units in command chains as easily as you would on the western front but that still makes me nervous, how essential is it in the pacific to maintain command chains or can you get away without them when island hopping? in addition can you only locate units under an hq by first finding an attached unit, tho that then doesn't give you the location of the hq, as it is if i click on the hq to find its units i get every unit attached to every hq that is linked to its higher hq, for southern area that is a lot. is there some tree i am missing that i can locate an hq, see its superior hq and only the hq attached units?

lastly why oh why did you not make the manual a ring bound book so i can have it lay flat and open without destroying the spine.

any advise there would be greatly appreciated
Post #: 1
RE: New player with a question about factory/resourse l... - 8/5/2010 2:49:57 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: LTC

Well firstly,

hello peeps

I have mostly played western front boardgames and some computergames so thought i would try my hand at a pacific game, tho i confess i am not very knowledgeable about the theatre outside area gains by japan, aircraft, ships etc i don't know by name/type so have some catch up there.

my questions are,

I have started a game ( my first even) and i realise that the economy for japan is limited so i have been running about checking what HI, LI, resourses, oil etc are located around the map so i can determine what i can leave behind and what i can take out without causing a shortfall. If i have understood the system then for example i have a requirement of 180 fuel/day and 6000 resourses/day to power the industry located on the home island of hokkaido which produces about 150 oil/day and ~22000 resourses/day so i can safely remove the oil and 15k resourses without detriment.

I was about to check the same for china etc but i find this a slow process of locating the city on map then checking the industry tab and locating that city to see what is required and what is surplus. What i wanted to know is am i missing something that allows me to check the balance by region to save time or is the city by city check the only way to calculate the values for a specific area to see what i can pull out and what i must replace.

As an aside, the units for army groups seem somewhat spread out, i realise that you wont have fully organised in range units in command chains as easily as you would on the western front but that still makes me nervous, how essential is it in the pacific to maintain command chains or can you get away without them when island hopping? in addition can you only locate units under an hq by first finding an attached unit, tho that then doesn't give you the location of the hq, as it is if i click on the hq to find its units i get every unit attached to every hq that is linked to its higher hq, for southern area that is a lot. is there some tree i am missing that i can locate an hq, see its superior hq and only the hq attached units?

lastly why oh why did you not make the manual a ring bound book so i can have it lay flat and open without destroying the spine.

any advise there would be greatly appreciated

Check out WitpTracker http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2236936

(in reply to LTC)
Post #: 2
RE: New player with a question about factory/resourse l... - 8/5/2010 4:07:31 PM   
LTC

Thank you Damian,

This will take a little while to set up the regions as i would like to see them but was exactly what i was hoping for, very nice program.

LtC

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 3
RE: New player with a question about factory/resourse l... - 8/5/2010 5:50:51 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

Trackers well worth the effort of getting it set up, It will save you hours of map hunting and several trees worth of paper in the long run.

If its your 1'st go at AE, playing japan is a rather brave choice. Playing allies is imo a better learning curve for new players.

Have fun regardless.

EDIT - just noticed your new to the forums too , welcome to the soul sapping experience that is WitP/AE.

< Message edited by Rob Brennan UK -- 8/5/2010 5:51:38 PM >

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to LTC)
Post #: 4
RE: New player with a question about factory/resourse l... - 8/6/2010 12:20:21 AM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: LTC

Thank you Damian,

This will take a little while to set up the regions as i would like to see them but was exactly what i was hoping for, very nice program.

LtC

LTC,
If you think you have to set up the regions manually, there are some region files already defined for Tracker ... http://sites.google.com/site/witptracker/regions-1 (look at the import method) ... As of 1.6 we don't have predefined regions...
Good luck and welcome to AE / Tracker

(in reply to LTC)
Post #: 5
RE: New player with a question about factory/resourse l... - 8/6/2010 12:44:52 AM   
LTC

Ah i did not notice the import, still i have edited in all curretly owned jap bases and can add each new base manually as i proceed. Tho i confess i am not seeing the early blitz i was expecting, still 5 days in and apart from the oil on miri all but being blown up so far so good :)

The tracker has already saved me from taking oil reserves out of a zone losing oil daily so looking good atm. only 8k oil to find and 40k resourses/day and i will be golden.

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 6
RE: New player with a question about factory/resourse l... - 8/6/2010 1:38:41 AM   
topeverest

LTC,

Welcome to the forum. You might want to play the Allies first, if you are playing one of the campaign scn. Or try Guadalcanal. There is plenty to learn operationally that is required well before the Empire economy is tackled. IMHO, that would be a easyier learning curve.

Andy M

(in reply to LTC)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> New player with a question about factory/resourse locations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI