Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turn 19 - 2nd Brigade sets up Long Binh Post

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Turn 19 - 2nd Brigade sets up Long Binh Post Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turn 19 - 2nd Brigade sets up Long Binh Post - 10/8/2010 8:41:14 AM   
comte

2nd Brigade sets up basecamp at Long Binh

After landing at Bien Hoa the 2nd Brigade will move from Bien Hoa to establish a new basecamp at Long Binh.

Attachment (1)

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 121
Turn 19 - Operation 4/65 Search and Destroy - 10/8/2010 8:46:33 AM   
comte

Operation 4/65

On July 17th the 1st Royal Australian Regiment are ordered on a one day search and destroy operation 6 kilometers northeast of Ho Nai. A fire support base is set up at Ho Nai. The 1st RAR is helilifted from Bien Hoa and combat assault east of Ho Nai but find no sign of the Viet Cong. This concludes Turn 19.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 10/8/2010 8:52:14 AM >

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 122
Turn 20 - News Summary - 10/10/2010 9:17:39 AM   
comte

Turn 20 - July 19th to July 25th 1965

A new ally will be joining Free World Forces in Vietnam this turn as well as the arrival of more Marine units in the Da Nang area. There is one mission this turn Operation Than Phong an ambitious mission that is aiming to clear Highway 19 into the Central Highlands of VC activity. The turn ends with another border outpost attacked by a large VC force. Here's the news summary for Turn 20.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 123
Turn 20 - New Zealand forces arrive - 10/10/2010 9:27:33 AM   
comte

New Zealand joins Free World Forces Vietnam

New Zealand's first significant military contribution to the Vietnam conflict have arrived it is the sending of the 161st Battery, Royal New Zealand Artillery to support the Australian forces with the 173rd Airborne Brigade. The 161st Battery arrived at Vung Tau and were flown up to Bien Hoa to join the 1st RAR.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 124
Turn 20 - Marine Amphibious tractors arrive - 10/10/2010 9:33:59 AM   
comte

Marine Amphibious Tractor Battalion arrives at Da Nang

The 1st Marine Amphibious Tractor Battalion have arrived at Da Nang to support Marine forces there. The Battalion is mostly made up of LVTP-5's (Landing Vehicle, Tracked, Personnel) which can hold 30-34 combat-armed troops.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 125
Turn 20 - Operation Than Phong - 10/10/2010 9:51:20 AM   
comte

Operation Than Phong

Between the 20th and the 27th of July ARVN forces will conduct an ambitious operation that will attempt to reopen Highway 19 between Qui Nhon and Pleiku in the central highlands. Elements of the 22nd ARVN Division, ARVN VNMC (Vietnamese Marine Corps) Task Force Alpha (TF A on the map this is the marine HQ), ARVN 2nd Airborne Task force, and ARVN 3rd Cavalry Squadron will be helilifted in or move overland to reopen the road and repair destroyed bridges. The Roads have been closed for months and most supplies are flown into Pleiku. With the reopening of Highway 19 essential civilian and military cargo will be able to flow into the highlands again. The Viet Cong have been interdicting the routes and blowing the bridges causing havoc and shortages of essential supplies for the people of Pleiku and the surrounding areas. B-52 and carrier based airstrikes will be called in on any Viet Cong found along the route. The VNMC 1st Battalion and the ARVN 7th Airborne Battalion have encountered a Viet Cong force blocking the Mang Yang Pass. Airstrikes have been called in.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 126
Turn 20 - Battle of Mang Yang Pass - 10/10/2010 9:56:46 AM   
comte

Battle of Mang Yang Pass

The Battle of Mang Yang Pass is successful as the Viet Cong force holding the pass is wiped out by the superior airpower brought to bear and the firepower of the elte troops of the ARVN 7th Airborne Battalion and the VNMC 1st Battalion. Highway 19 is cleared from Qui Nhon to Pleiku of Viet Cong forces for now. Operation Than Phong is a success.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 127
Turn 20 - Bu Dop Overrun - 10/10/2010 10:02:09 AM   
comte

Bu Dop CIDG Camp overrun

An estimated Regimental sized Viet Cong force have attacked the Bu Dop CIDG camp north of Song Be near the Cambodian border. The ARVN 36th Ranger Battalion and CIDG detachment A-341 have been pushed out of the camp by a well planned VC attack.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 128
Turn 20 - Battle for Bu Dop - 10/10/2010 10:07:03 AM   
comte

Battle for Bu Dop CIDG Camp

Bu Dop was quickly overrun by the Viet Cong in their well coordinated attack. The ARVN Rangers and CIDG detachment took 27% casualties in the attack. Airstrikes from Dixie Station/WESTPAC will be needed along with reinforcements to retake the beleaguered camp. Here are the results of the battle. This concludes turn 20.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 129
Turn 21 - News Summary - 10/12/2010 8:58:34 AM   
comte

Turn 21 - July 26th to August 1st 1965

Turn 21 opens with Bu Dop CIDG Camp in enemy hands carrier airstrikes from Dixie station/WESTPAC hit the estimated regimental sized Viet Cong unit causing massive casualties. There are several missions this turn a Marine operation, and two operations by the 173rd Airborne Brigades troops. The US army is reinforced by the landing of the first elements of the 101st Airborne Division. This is the final turn of the first volume of Vietnam Combat Operations. Here's the news summary for the turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 130
Turn 21 - Operation Lien Ket 4 - 10/12/2010 9:07:29 AM   
comte

Operation Lien Ket 4 - Search and Destroy

Between the 28th and 29th of July a joint Marine ARVN operation is planned south of Da Nang along the coast. The 2nd Battalion 4th Marines and the ARVN 3rd Battalion 51st Regiment are ordered to to conduct a search and destroy operation along the coast between Da Nang and Hoi An in Quang Nam province. A Fire support base is set up at Dien Ban by the tubes of the 1st Battalion 12 Marines artillery. The Marine 3rd Tank Battalion clears the roads from Da Nang to Dien Ban. There is negative contact with the VC during the Operation.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 131
Turn 21 - Operations Op Ord 11-65 and 5-65 - 10/12/2010 9:20:30 AM   
comte

Operations Op Ord 11-65 and 5-65 - Search and Destroy

Between 28th of July and the 3rd of August the 173rd Airborne Brigade will be launching two Operations. The first Operation OPORD 11-65, The 173rd Airborne Brigades 1/503 Battalion and 2/503 Battalion will launch a search and destroy operation to sever the supply route of the Vietcong between the Rung Sat Special Zone and Phuoc Tuy Province in the vicinity of Phu My. The armor of the 173rd Airborne Brigade will be clearing the road between Phu My and Long Thanh as well as repairing the roads and bridges with their engineers. The 1/503 and 2/503 combat assault near Phu My but have negative contact with enemy units. The Second operation is 5-65 which will be conducted by the 1st Royal Australian Regiment which is attached to the 173rd Airborne Brigade. They will conduct a patrolling operation 6 kilometers northeast of the Bien Hoa Airbase to provide warning for and defense of the airbase while the rest of the 173rd is down in Phuoc Tuy province conducting OPORD 11-65. The New Zealand 161 Battery artillery set up a fire support base to support 5-65 at Ho Nai. The Australians encounter no Vietcong on their patrols northeast of the airbase.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 10/12/2010 9:21:36 AM >

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 132
Turn 21 - Screaming Eagles arrive - 10/12/2010 9:39:57 AM   
comte

1st Brigade of the 101st Airborne arrives at Cam Ranh Bay

On the 29th of July the 1st Brigade of the 101st Airborne Division lands at Cam Ranh Bay and will immediately move to Dong Ba Tinh to establish a basecamp there. The US army now has 3 Brigades in the Republic of Vietnam. This concludes turn 21.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 10/12/2010 9:40:13 AM >

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 133
Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/12/2010 9:55:49 AM   
comte

Conclusion

Well this concludes volume 1. It was alot of fun playing this scenario and I plan on starting Volume 2 soon. I acted out the historic operations and didn't go too crazy except for the battle in U-Minh where I wrecked the 21st ARVN Division. The AI did a great job destroying a ranger battalion at Bao Trai and taking Duc Co special forces camp. I think the really cool thing about this scenario is how the enemy will hit an area and then vanish into thin air making the war frustrating as it should be. I used several books for reference while doing this scenario and I highly recommend them.

Vietnam Order of Battle by Shelby L. Stanton

The Rise and Fall of an American Army by Shelby L. Stanton

Semper Fi Vietnam by Edward F. Murphy

The US Marine Corps in the Vietnam War: III Marine Amphibious Force 1965-75 by Ed Gilbert

And finally I would like to thank Boonierat (Stéphane Moutin Luyat) for making this amazing set of scenarios. I'll see you guys in Volume 2

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 10/12/2010 9:57:36 AM >

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 134
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/12/2010 4:14:42 PM   
Boonierat

I've got an updated version of Vol 2 that's not available online yet (contains only minor corrections though), send me an email if you want it ;)

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 135
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/12/2010 7:21:43 PM   
berto

Background reading is an indispensable motivator. I went to our local library recently to scope out the Vietnam War books. None of them focused on military operations; they were mostly about the politics of the conflict, not surprisingly.

Do you have any familiarity with the imminent 3.4 patch? From your (limited) experience, can you say if the 3.4 patch will impact the current VCO series much? (I will probably maintain an older, pre-3.4 installation just to play the VCOs.)

Your AARs are great. Thanks so much!

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 136
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/13/2010 7:39:03 AM   
comte

quote:

ORIGINAL: berto

Background reading is an indispensable motivator. I went to our local library recently to scope out the Vietnam War books. None of them focused on military operations; they were mostly about the politics of the conflict, not surprisingly.

Do you have any familiarity with the imminent 3.4 patch? From your (limited) experience, can you say if the 3.4 patch will impact the current VCO series much? (I will probably maintain an older, pre-3.4 installation just to play the VCOs.)

Your AARs are great. Thanks so much!

Well Berto I used this here as a reference point for books this thread here

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42241

I've been ordering them and reading them slowly from Amazon.

I've been using the earlier patch because 3.4 isn't official yet and I don't know how it will effect the scenario's. I think volume 2 will be the last one I try on the earlier patch then when I get to volume 3 I will try 3.4 because I believe it will be completed by then.

An glad your enjoying the AAR

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 137
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/13/2010 8:39:21 AM   
berto

Ordering books from Amazon? If only I could afford it.

(Some people complain about the "high price" of these games that give us 100s of hours of enjoyment and years of replayability. Many of those same complainers pay even higher price for books that they read through just once, and--not seeing the double standard--don't give the matter a second thought. Present company excepted, of course.)

I have to rely just on what's available at the local library, unfortunately.

But there's always the Internet and Wikipedia!

Earlier today, I did a separate, fresh TOAW 3.2 installation just to play VCO (and whatever other pre-3.4 scenarios never get updated). Now I have to squeeze my limited HPS ACW and WITP:AE game play time to make room for TOAW/VCO.

I await your future AARs with much interest!

< Message edited by berto -- 10/13/2010 9:08:39 AM >

Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 138
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/13/2010 3:57:17 PM   
sapper32

Nice AAR have enjoyed following this and am looking forward to your next addition.

Many thanks

Ian

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 139
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/14/2010 6:57:11 AM   
comte

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Nice AAR have enjoyed following this and am looking forward to your next addition.

Many thanks

Ian

Thanks

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 140
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/14/2010 11:32:55 AM   
Obsolete

quote:

I have to rely just on what's available at the local library, unfortunately.

I have a interest in WW2 tank Aces. Unfortunately my local libraries have quite a lacking of this material, so I am left up to Amazon for some great biographys. I don't think it's TOO expensive, especially since I always do the free shipping deals.

King-Tigers don't let Tiger-I's get over-run.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 141
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/15/2010 3:01:51 PM   
fulcrum28

Boonierta, congratulations for your great work. I downloaded some of them a few weeks ago and look fantastic.
btw, I read you planned to add some music background, did you finally suceed? If so, I will download them again.
cheers.

(in reply to Obsolete)
Post #: 142
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/15/2010 3:53:27 PM   
Boonierat

quote:

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28
btw, I read you planned to add some music background, did you finally suceed?

I did, but I left it all on my old hard drive It wasn't much really, just replaced the sound files found in TOAW with rock classics of the era (Animals, Doors, Hendrix...) and some jungle sounds I found on the net. Might work on a new VCO soundtrack sometimes ;)

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 143
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/15/2010 7:39:31 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

quote:

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28
btw, I read you planned to add some music background, did you finally suceed?

I did, but I left it all on my old hard drive It wasn't much really, just replaced the sound files found in TOAW with rock classics of the era (Animals, Doors, Hendrix...) and some jungle sounds I found on the net. Might work on a new VCO soundtrack sometimes ;)

But isn't rock classics as background music to Vietnam War movies just about the most hackneyed cliche in the movie business? It's kind of like absolutely every WWII movie (made during the 40s and ever since) having big band music as background. I grew up during the 50s and 60s, and I enjoy revisiting the rock classics from those times occasionally. But eventually it gets old. Like me.

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 144
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/15/2010 7:54:36 PM   
Boonierat

quote:

But isn't rock classics as background music to Vietnam War movies just about the most hackneyed cliche in the movie business? It's kind of like absolutely every WWII movie (made during the 40s and ever since) having big band music as background. I grew up during the 50s and 60s, and I enjoy revisiting the rock classics from those times occasionally. But eventually it gets old. Like me.

Ask any vet which music he remembers from Vietnam

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59459

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 145
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/15/2010 8:18:22 PM   
berto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

quote:

Ask any vet which music he remembers from Vietnam

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59459

Ask any WWII vet what music he remembers from that war. (My dad, a WWII vet, was crazy about Glenn Miller.) That doesn't mean that every WWII movie must have that music as soundtrack.

Just kidding around, of course. I/we can always turn the game music off. No big deal.

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 146
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 10/16/2010 10:07:52 AM   
cantona2

Can only echo the many comments above thanking you for this AAR and looking forward to Scen 2!

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 147
RE: Conclusion of the Scenario - 1/12/2013 7:56:24 PM   
berto

I just concluded my own first game of Vietnam Combat Operations Volume 1.

Victory level: 268, a draw.

I accepted and fulfilled nearly all of the suggested scenario missions. I cleared out and occupied virtually all of the objective hexes around Saigon. To the north, my Da Nang and Chu Lai enclaves are quite expansive. If I didn't amass enough VPs to win the scenario, it might be because I wasn't aggressive enough in my search and destroy missions. I did destroy my share of enemy units, just not enough of them.

I would post screenshots (in another thread), and do an extensive post mortem AAR. But since I intend to push ahead with VCO Volume 2 and beyond, I don't want to look around the map too much, so as to observe all the before hidden, now revealed VC and NVA units. It would spoil the future surprise.

Also now, after having played through this scenario, I will reread Aces8's AAR (long since all forgotten) to compare my experiences with his.

Fun scenario. Many thanks to Boonierat. And a tip of the hat to Aces8 for inspiring me to begin with.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 148
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> Turn 19 - 2nd Brigade sets up Long Binh Post Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI