Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/2/2010 6:13:01 PM   
junk2drive

1 You can make a 10 tank company a 10 tank platoon with one of them a Commander.

2 No, setting for one is setting for both.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 61
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/2/2010 6:28:28 PM   
Yoozername

quote:

You remember which volume or have a page number reference?

I don't mind having others find things I've missed. That's part of the fun of doing research. To see what you can find....whoever finds it.

Good Hunting.

MR

Good to hear. I have some internal photos of the Panther tank ammunition stowage if you want to see them. Seems side-hits made the panther light up like a pile of fireworks...

< Message edited by Yoozername -- 12/2/2010 6:30:34 PM >

(in reply to Mobius)
Post #: 62
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/2/2010 6:35:31 PM   
Yoozername

So it sounds like the unit size can atually be used to simulate C&C to some degree.  That is, Soviets might have ponderous 10 tank companies and the Germans could have many 2 tank sections?

Too bad on teh assymetrical turn lengths.  I would think it could model really bad C&C well.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 63
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/2/2010 9:23:48 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yoozername

I have a couple quick questions:

1. Are the Soviet platoons modeled as 3-4 AFV units? So, for example, a 10 tank Soviet company would be modeled as two 3 tank platoons and one 4 tank platoons?

The editor allows the organization of a unit to be as little as 1 or as high as 20. Your tank company could have 10 single tank units in it or 3 platoons of 3 tanks with a single tank as commander. All 10 vehicles in a single unit. However you like.

quote:

2. The variable time and use of reaction phases...is this symetrical? Meaning if its changed, it is equally changed for both sides? Could one side have a different setting is what I am asking.

The phases are the same for both sides. Whatever the scenario is setup for both sides play with that arrangement.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 64
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/2/2010 9:25:00 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

quote:

You remember which volume or have a page number reference?

I don't mind having others find things I've missed. That's part of the fun of doing research. To see what you can find....whoever finds it.

Good Hunting.

MR

Good to hear. I have some internal photos of the Panther tank ammunition stowage if you want to see them. Seems side-hits made the panther light up like a pile of fireworks...

What does that have to do with PCO?

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 65
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/2/2010 9:28:54 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

So it sounds like the unit size can atually be used to simulate C&C to some degree.  That is, Soviets might have ponderous 10 tank companies and the Germans could have many 2 tank sections?

C&C can be simulated in various ways. One of those is unit size. Another is the Soviet Art of War selection which removes the orders delays.

quote:

Too bad on teh assymetrical turn lengths.  I would think it could model really bad C&C well.

Allowing for different types/lengths of phase lengths for any PCO scenario is already more than any other game allows. C&C will be introduced in other ways in PC4.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 66
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/2/2010 9:34:33 PM   
Yoozername

Is the 'Soviet Art of War' selection in this game?  I don't understand the removal of delay?  What does it simulate?

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 67
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/2/2010 10:02:57 PM   
Mad Russian

It simulates the Soviet poor C&C early in the war. Most games that have the 1941 time period have that same delay. PCO allows you to either play with the poor Soviet C&C or play without it.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 68
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/3/2010 12:52:58 AM   
Yoozername

Ok, thanks anyway, I guess I will get to see it in the download.

< Message edited by Yoozername -- 12/3/2010 1:43:40 AM >

Post #: 69
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/3/2010 6:59:51 AM   
Yoozername

I didn'y see your answer at first. I appreciate it.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 70
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/11/2010 3:35:19 AM   
Ascended

How does the cover and concealment model work? Can we edit the values for different terrain tiles when we make maps?

(in reply to Yoozername)
Post #: 71
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/11/2010 3:46:22 AM   
junk2drive

We don't use tiles. Terrain is coded as something like woods and there are a set of rules covering the type of unit, experience and terrain as to cover, LOS, etc.

Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."

(in reply to Ascended)
Post #: 72
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/11/2010 5:22:52 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ascended

How does the cover and concealment model work? Can we edit the values for different terrain tiles when we make maps?

As J2D said, PCO doesn't use terrain tiles. It uses actual terrain modeling.

You can set a field or a forest pixel by pixel if you like.

Each pixel is assigned a color and the Map Maker (MM) can assign that particular color to one of dozens of textures.

What values are you wanting to edit?

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Ascended)
Post #: 73
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/17/2010 5:27:56 AM   
Ascended

I don't think I understand how it works. Is there a thread or some reading material on the subject?

Post #: 74
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/17/2010 6:27:21 AM   
rickier65

quote:

I don't think I understand how it works. Is there a thread or some reading material on the subject?

the best guide is in the manual. I don't recall a thread devoted to how cover works, however I'll try to summarize.

It sounds like you are interested in how you change the cover or concealment value of a particular location on the map. As has already been pointed out, PCO doesn't use "tiles" the map is actually drawn at a 1 pixel = 1 meter scale, and the color of the pixel determines what terrain type a particular 1 sq meter is. So, for example, you can have a road be 7 meters wide while an intersecting road may only be 4 meters wide (or whatever dimensions you choose).

As for cover, units in in woods terrain, get a minimum benefit for just being in a terrain coded as woods, but the actual amount of 'cover' benefit they recieve is based on the LOS the sighting unit has to them, and the number of tree objects that LOS hits. So to increase the amount of cover benefit woods terrain provides, then you actually increase the density of trees assigned to those woods, and the Map Maker will add more trees, which results in denser woods which provides more cover. You might note that there are 3 woods levels in PCO, light woods, woods, and heavy woods..

As far as movement in different terrain, those values aren't editable. For example, wheeled and half track vehicles can not enter heavy woods terrain, and tracked vehicles have a significant speed reduction in heavy woods. In addition, Vehicles have a greater chance of bogging or breakdowns in heavy woods. And, as with sighting, this can also be affected by how dense you make the woods and what size trees you put in the woods.

Thanks
rick

< Message edited by Rick -- 12/17/2010 6:28:09 AM >

(in reply to Ascended)
Post #: 75
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/18/2010 10:24:45 AM   
Ascended

That sounds fantastic.  Are the colors used editable?  (I.e., is a road pixel always grey?)  I wonder if I can take a field of someone's map say, change the color meaning of the pixel (not changing the color of the pixel itself) and get a different terrain.  Why not change the pixel itself?  Just purely artistic reasons.

More importantly, are the basic benefits for being in a terrain type editable?  And how many different types of terrain pixels are there other than the three vegetation terrains and the roads?

Thanks Rick.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 76
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/18/2010 10:25:20 AM   
Ascended

Also -- in terms of cover and concealment / weapon firepower -- are the previous PC releases good yardsticks as to what Ostfront will be, functionally speaking?

(in reply to Ascended)
Post #: 77
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/18/2010 11:37:57 AM   
Stridor

quote:

That sounds fantastic.  Are the colors used editable?  (I.e., is a road pixel always grey?)  I wonder if I can take a field of someone's map say, change the color meaning of the pixel (not changing the color of the pixel itself) and get a different terrain.  Why not change the pixel itself?  Just purely artistic reasons.

More importantly, are the basic benefits for being in a terrain type editable?  And how many different types of terrain pixels are there other than the three vegetation terrains and the roads?

Thanks Rick.

You can assign any terrain type to any color pixel you want in map maker.

The benefits for being in a terrain type are fixed.

There are 28 different terrain types.

S.

(in reply to Ascended)
Post #: 78
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/18/2010 11:40:23 AM   
Stridor

quote:

Also -- in terms of cover and concealment / weapon firepower -- are the previous PC releases good yardsticks as to what Ostfront will be, functionally speaking?

Only vaguely, there has been so much improvement in those areas the old games probably are not that representative any more.

S.

(in reply to Ascended)
Post #: 79
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/19/2010 4:03:21 AM   
Ascended

Thanks!

(in reply to Stridor)
Post #: 80
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/28/2010 4:57:12 PM   
junk2drive

Setup zones have been added.

For all of you that didn't like the limited placement mode of PCK/OWS.

The scenario designer must place them on his map. The designer can fix units in place that the player cannot move them.

RBG will generate a zone also.

(in reply to Ascended)
Post #: 81
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/28/2010 7:37:32 PM   
oldspec4

I'm looking forward to this title to replace my non-working (under Win 7) copy of CMBB.

Seems to be beaucoup fresh gameplay features .

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 82
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/29/2010 3:08:11 PM   
HintJ

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Setup zones have been added.

For all of you that didn't like the limited placement mode of PCK/OWS.

The scenario designer must place them on his map. The designer can fix units in place that the player cannot move them.

RBG will generate a zone also.

This is great news. Do you think it is possible before release to get setup zones into campaigns?

< Message edited by HintJ -- 12/29/2010 3:09:44 PM >

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 83
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/29/2010 3:15:19 PM   
junk2drive

I'll have to test that but since campaigns use regular maps they should have them also. The older OWS and K maps may not have them because of how they were made. At worst you will have the old limit of 100m MP and 250m solo (I need to check this) and for solo F4 allows unlimited placement.

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 84
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/29/2010 3:29:01 PM   
junk2drive

Just tested.

There are the original campaigns and a few new designer campaigns in PCO. For a map to have setup zones the designer must apply them (it is very easy). Since this is a new feature, none of the new campaigns have them.

However I generated a random campaign and the first battle was on an old PCK map and it did have a setup zone on it.

I doubt that we will spend the time to add zones to the old campaigns. They were tested without them and we wouldn't want to mess with them. You are free to do whatever you want to with your game.

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 85
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/31/2010 12:51:06 AM   
HintJ

What do the yellow and green command lines mean? I think I read somewhere what they mean but I forgot.

"Tactics is knowing what to do when there is something to do. Strategy is knowing what to do when there is nothing to do."
- Savielly Tartakower

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 86
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 12/31/2010 12:56:45 AM   
junk2drive

Movement ability of the sub unit. Green/green full movement Green/yellow no quick movement Green/red sub unit can not move.

(in reply to HintJ)
Post #: 87
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 1/17/2011 10:50:50 AM   
billios65

Hi Erik,

will the PAK 43/41 88mm AT gun be represented in the new release?

thanks Bill

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 88
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 1/17/2011 3:01:37 PM   
Thomm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

As has already been pointed out, PCO doesn't use "tiles" the map is actually drawn at a 1 pixel = 1 meter scale, and the color of the pixel determines what terrain type a particular 1 sq meter is.

Seems as if PCO does use tiles, but they are just smaller than those in other games (Close Combat: 2 m, CMx1: 20 m, CMx2: 8 m).

True tile-less engines would involve vector-based terrain definition.

Best regards,
Thomm

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 89
RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List - 1/17/2011 3:55:22 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Thomm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

As has already been pointed out, PCO doesn't use "tiles" the map is actually drawn at a 1 pixel = 1 meter scale, and the color of the pixel determines what terrain type a particular 1 sq meter is.

Seems as if PCO does use tiles, but they are just smaller than those in other games (Close Combat: 2 m, CMx1: 20 m, CMx2: 8 m).

True tile-less engines would involve vector-based terrain definition.

Best regards,
Thomm

I guess a pixel could be considered a tile. If so we have the smallest tile based system possible.

Good Hunting.

MR

(in reply to Thomm)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Panzer Command: Ostfront >> RE: Panzer Command: Ostfront Full Feature List Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI