Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The little ship that could.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The little ship that could. Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/6/2011 7:46:55 AM   
1275psi

Hi Wobbly!

No mate - in Sydney -but I am swamped by visitors and Holiday stuff -very hard to update at the moment

is this still worth doing?

( I value your opinion a lot oh old foe

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 211
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/6/2011 8:37:45 AM   
1275psi

it is well past dawn –yet impossible to tell. The lights in the hangers burn very brightly indeed – and as the lift slides down, the light wells upwards.

It is belting rain now –sheets scudding across the flight deck, and for the men working the first three kates onto the deck, its backs to the wind –and misery

These first three are meant to be the ASW patrol –if they ever get away.
Hidaka is clutching a stanchion, torn between duty, and the desire to preserve lives, and even more precious planes
Ryujo has launched –but she stands a lot higher than him……..those damn waves keep curling over……..
Moments later, the decision is made for him

“Periscope! , bearing 090 –range 1000 yards!”
The screaming call cuts through Hasegawa like a knife, and momentarily he freezes
There is a crowded moment – how in the hell did anyone spot a periscope in this,?, to, well done that man, to -1000 yards –bearing 090! –point blank range……….
And then years of bridgtime kicks in, and even as his viens turn to ice, his voice is calm, in control.
‘Hard to starboard!, full ahead all!”
hands grip the binnacle, and the knuckles turn white –whiter still as yet another call comes in
“Torpedo! –torpedo ! –hard on our Starboard !”
Hasegawa stiffens…………the orders are given, have been given. There is nothing else to do

Below, deep in her bowels, and mercifully ignorant of the onrushing death coming his way –Okano pauses in the lighting of his smoke as the bells ring………..and he grimaces as the telegraphs swing to full.
“Pushing it aint you skipper?” he thinks –hands already turning the blower and fuel valves— fingers jarring as Zuiho slams into the next swell –machinery vibrating madly about them ‘We aint a battleship you know…….”

Zuiho slides, lurches, rolls across the swells –her flank suddenly a great dam wall against the swell – and chaos erupts through out her length – crashing objects, a symphony of destruction.
Her amidships 25mm gun pontoon is abruptly flooded –and bent upwards and backwards, its men madly scrambling for safety.

“destroyer Natsushio attacking sir!’
They have missed. Or hit and not gone off. No time for that now……
“The SS must be passing astern of us –alert all hands to look hard………helmsman, Port 30!, get me into the wind OOW!.
Quartermaster! – pipe Hidaka to contact the bridge!’

“‘I will launch as soon as we are into wind sir!”
“very good - get them away Hidaka – that was too close”
Too close indeed………………his heart is still racing…….fast, too fast for an old man like himself. Heavens, how did they miss? – how?
Hasegawa glances at the clock –0710 – a long day already…….

“message from Ryujo sir! –2 destroyers, one heavy cruiser –bearing 010, range 100 miles!”

A long day, and going to be longer yet.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 212
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/6/2011 9:17:03 AM   
british exil

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

Hi Wobbly!

No mate - in Sydney -but I am swamped by visitors and Holiday stuff -very hard to update at the moment

is this still worth doing?

( I value your opinion a lot oh old foe

Ofc you've got a "pommy" suscribed here, check my mails on my iphone whilst I'm at work so I don't miss an episode. Keep it coming I am enjoying the story unfolding. I have no idea about ships other that they float and that they can sink also that they have big engines. But still find the story hooking.

Thx for all the work put in so far. I know that it takes alot of time to make an AAR.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 213
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/6/2011 11:33:58 AM   
pws1225

I second British Exile's comments! This is a very interesting and entertaining read. I look forward to each post as does my pbem opponent. We both appreciate your efforts in bringing us this fine story.

Paul

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 214
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/6/2011 12:34:15 PM   
ckammp

Excellent writing, the most engrossing story since the classic "Hibiki".
I really hope you continue this AAR.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 215
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/6/2011 10:00:16 PM   
1275psi

Thankyou for kind comments -a touch of doubt there!

Anyway -the long day continues

Kamisaka and his crew try to shelter of one of the gun bays, as they wait for the order to man the plane

Already they are wet, and he just knows that by flights end they will stink to high heaven, sodden leather and fur
‘Truk this……..”
They need to get away ,need to get off this deck
An urgent wave from the flight crew –and they scuttle across the sodden decks, and he is aware, terribly aware of the movements below his feet, of the pitching and twisting.

Into the office, God, wet seat too – this is going to be horrible.
The great blade is beating steadily –swirling the spray back, and his goggles are bloody useless.
“God damn, hell, this is Trucked”, his observer/navigator grumbles behind him.
‘Shut up –and just do your job – if that sub gets another shot at Zuiho Hidaka will have our balls”
‘As if we will see it in this bloody soup”
As if. Yes –he is right. But we will see.

Hands fly over the controls, checking, and again arse muscles have to clench the seat as Zuiho lurches across another swell.
The first kate leaves –spray blasting back –and kamisaka watches keenly – the green beast merges into the grey……..and clears the angry sea.

The second too clears the deck

“Ok, hang on gentlemen –this is will be tricky”
‘Sooner we get aloft, get this canopy shut, the bloody better –I am getting soaked in here!’
‘Don’t you ever bloody stop complaining……….”

Throttle forward –hard………gloves are bloody squelching, unpleasant feeling….

Zuiho lurches again –falls into a hole into the ocean

Heavens, just to be dry again………..

Kamisaka’s kate slams into the rising wall of water – and is gone

And very much to his surprise, he thinks to himself ‘ I have drowned”

And he is right.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 216
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/6/2011 10:11:15 PM   
1275psi

Zuiho’s bow has barely finished trampling the Kate into the depths, when the horrified onlookers gaze is abruptly dragged to starboard

Ryujo’s guns are firing, and 6 grey sleek shapes are boring out of the mist –and the alarm bells are ringing………

Two things immediately strike Hasegawa – just how trucked up Zuiho’s command arrangements really are when under air attack –and just how pathetic the AA armament is –the crack, crack, crack of the guns so inadequate against the howl of the wind, the ocean.

He races to the starboard corner –eyes screwing against the wind and rain – there! –there they are!

Dutch – dutch fighters? – light bombers?—

They attack Ryujo – little crosses racing across the grey – and silent –startling white fountains abruptly rise each side of the ugly ship –ugly splashes in an ugly sea

And the guns try to track –and nature takes all that violence away, whips it into insignificance…………

And Hidaka watches………mortified
A carrier –attacked………..with out CAP

And then –another alarm

“Aircraft! – dead ahead! –

And Hasegawa can see these ones bursting out of the mist –3 bombers, 6 light bombers –low and fast –and close.
And coming directly at them.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 217
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/6/2011 10:29:57 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1275psi

Thankyou for kind comments -a touch of doubt there!

Anyway -the long day continues

Kamisaka and his crew try to shelter of one of the gun bays, as they wait for the order to man the plane

Already they are wet, and he just knows that by flights end they will stink to high heaven, sodden leather and fur
‘Truk this……..”
They need to get away ,need to get off this deck
An urgent wave from the flight crew –and they scuttle across the sodden decks, and he is aware, terribly aware of the movements below his feet, of the pitching and twisting.

Into the office, God, wet seat too – this is going to be horrible.
The great blade is beating steadily –swirling the spray back, and his goggles are bloody useless.
“God damn, hell, this is Trucked”, his observer/navigator grumbles behind him.
‘Shut up –and just do your job – if that sub gets another shot at Zuiho Hidaka will have our balls”
‘As if we will see it in this bloody soup”
As if. Yes –he is right. But we will see.

Hands fly over the controls, checking, and again arse muscles have to clench the seat as Zuiho lurches across another swell.
The first kate leaves –spray blasting back –and kamisaka watches keenly – the green beast merges into the grey……..and clears the angry sea.

The second too clears the deck

“Ok, hang on gentlemen –this is will be tricky”
‘Sooner we get aloft, get this canopy shut, the bloody better –I am getting soaked in here!’
‘Don’t you ever bloody stop complaining……….”

Throttle forward –hard………gloves are bloody squelching, unpleasant feeling….

Zuiho lurches again –falls into a hole into the ocean

Heavens, just to be dry again………..

Kamisaka’s kate slams into the rising wall of water – and is gone

And very much to his surprise, he thinks to himself ‘ I have drowned”

And he is right.

[/quote

This reminds me too much of the November 8, 1998 accident on the Enterprise. A prayer for those in peril on the sea.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 218
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/7/2011 5:00:16 AM   
PaxMondo

Great story line.  Thanks!

Pax

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 219
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/7/2011 9:59:34 AM   
1275psi

Hidaka too see’s them –he knows these planes – CW-22 falcons-obsolescent planes – almost useless against a modern enemy.
But certainly good enough for this situation…..
500 feet high, 1000 yards –dead ahead, and in happy phoenix’s dead zone

Mother of god –we are dead –I have let us down,………I have guessed wrong……
Frozen, Hidaka watches the bombers straighten up, the great black eggs under them already visible

Dead ahead –Zuiho’s guns cannot bear - and even as Hasegawa takes breath, he knows there is no time to turn her –not wallowing like this, no time to open the arcs, no time to avoid.
But he will try………..

“Full ASTERN BOTH!, hard to PORT!”
The XO –white –throws a glance his way –it says all that glance………what the hell….?
But the helmsman does not hesitate or question this strangest of order –not falter at the critical moment, the bells ring, and the telegraphs flash to the stops…….

Unseen, deep in the engine room, it is Lurch –the Lurch who “is useless for anything” who saves them
The E.O.O.W is only 12 feet away –tending to a tricky governor –12 feet, 12 miles –it is too far away for this, but lurch is there.
An idiot could respond to the telegraphs –as Lurch does –matching them
An idiot could grab that astern throttle, that ahead throttle –and wildly swung them –as Lurch does…
And an idiot could have killed the boiler –killed the pressure –done a million terrible things wrong in that critical moment – but Lurch does not.
Smoothly, rapidly, the turbine stops its ahead movement, and then, slowly, rapidly, the great shaft turns astern, and Zuiho begins to slow – and the boiler pressures barely quiver.
He is no idiot, is Lurch………

At 500 feet, 250 knots –they cannot miss –should not miss – and the three bombers are ready for that turn, calculating the curve, the path, but Zuiho’s rapid ‘braking’-is good enough…….

Two bombs flash over the flight deck –one missing by only 50 feet – and they crash into the sea –and the great hammers bang against her hull –jarring teeth through out her length –shattering a few lights –but nothing else.

The third –the third should have hit her –it plunges into the sea –deep where she should have been –but has not yet reached……
It plunges deep – and explodes –a delayed fuse –deep –deep , almost under her –opposite the port MPE room

It explodes – crashing shock into her –lifting her arse –twisting her very body –sending men flying

And Hasegawa grimaces –a hit?
And Hidaka swears – he has seen the flex –and what it does to the forward lift.
In the ready room, our pilots go flying, chairs, lockers –recognition bombers – and all wonder how the hell they can fly in this ……..
And Minobe too –in DC central –curses –that single universal curse – and wonders what has been hurt

And in the Port Engine room –the Charge already does.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 220
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/7/2011 11:12:16 AM   
1275psi

Oil pressure MPE - usually 15-18 psi

Right now -even as Hasegawa calls for full ahead............7 psi, and falling fast towards zero

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 221
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/9/2011 1:32:59 AM   
1275psi

The charge se’s it immediately –there is no missing it –and even before the alarm goes off –he is calling out the alarm

“Loss of Lube oil!, loss of lube oil!”…and the guage measuring the life blood of the Port Main Engine is draining away –

reactions –as they must be, need to be –have trained to be –are automatic, and each man in the Port engine room leaps to the task

The E.O.O.W turns the telegraphs to stop-to full, to stop –and rings the bell three times –the signal to the bridge that something is dramatically –even fatally wrong down below.

All eyes stare at the telegraph –they must match, must –before they can do anything else………

Hasegawa watches the last bomber banking away, calculating his ships course – and now , Heavens –now the telegraphs are clanging –urgently
‘Port main requests immediate stop sir!’
‘damage report! –I need a damage report! –he barks -------but he must respond –he must –that last bomb was so very, very close…….
‘Stop Port MPE!’

They match
‘Flash main circ pump!
‘Stop the main! – shut ahead –on astern!
The throttle watchkeeper has already hit the start button for the emergency electric driven pump--------
“Truk!”
The oil pressure keeps dropping

Now they must stop the turbine, stop the shaft, before the bearings wipe –before metal begins to self destruct, no easy task with the starboard doing full ahead

“Port main requests reduce to 96rpm, starboard shaft to enable locking of port”
locking port –not trailing……..something is very broken below
‘Approved! –revolutions 096 starboard main –helmsman – Port 10 –bring us into the wind!’
God –what else – is there another attack about to come out of this mist?

The Charge descends downstairs –almost falls downstairs –eyes, torch hunting for the cause of the failure –heart pounding –please, something simple –please something simple –a tripped governor, a brocken guage line –please, something simple

It is not something simple
The suction pipe, main lube oil line to the main pump has fractured –brocken, shattered at the join to the sump –and the brown flood even now, is starting to die down, the sumps contents already washing in a horrible flood through the bilges.

He freezes – momentarily stunned by the sight –then as fast as he can, he makes for the top decks

The shaft is stopped –held hard against the ships drag by the astern steam –and Lurch hovers over the turning gear lock –all eyes on the E.O.O.W –
‘LOCK THE SHAFT!”

he pulls the lever into position –if the shaft turns now while he tries to lock the lock –he will break his arm

“Shaft locked!’
All eyes turn to the Charge as he re emerges –you can only hold the main locked on full vacuum for three minutes –by then the problem must be solved – or….

“Its Trucked! –totally trucked!” –secure it PO!” – the Charge yells – “I must get Minobe!”
“You heard him! – break vacuum Lurch – swing make up feed and drains to the turbo gen!”
The work quickly – this is strange territory now for them –practiced, yes –but none ever expect it to happen for real.

“Port MPE secured sir –full power still available Starboard”
‘Very good”
what else can he say? –Now, now he must wait to hear the damage report –wait –and see how this little pig of a handler steers in this sea, on one shaft….

The Port MPE is now dead –and now –with the vacuum underneath –and the cold of the condensor –and the heat on the top of the turbine – the turbine itself will do the only thing it can do –bend, bend like a banana.
Even if the oil could be magically restored –it will be hours before this engine can be used again.

How does she steer
Not very well. For the next 15 minutes Hasegawa will battle Zuiho into the wind –and again, and again, she will fall off it.
He battles her –the little bitch –battles her…..and then the word at his guts

“Message from Shoho –what are your intentions?”
Intentions?’

Oh God – intentions?!. And the thunderbolt hits him. This is a carrier! –the enemy is still there! –Even though you cannot see him –shoot at him –he is still out there!

The bridge crew look at him –they all look at him –and unspoken –they all know…….

“get me Hidaka!’

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 222
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/9/2011 9:16:47 AM   
a7v

Another reader here. Please keep it going. Next to Mandrake/Spriors AAR this is the one I always check when I enter the forum.

Greetings

Rainer

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 223
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/9/2011 10:28:29 PM   
bbbf

Nah, you should discontinue this distraction, that way I'll get more turns from you!

Keep it up mate, this is a good story.

Robert Lee

(in reply to a7v)
Post #: 224
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/10/2011 12:46:39 AM   
1275psi

I think I prefer to be a writer than a fighter! -turn soon mate!

0900 hrs –of this Zuiho’s longest day

Two crises face her at the moment –the oil pipe line failure –and a jammed forward elevator

The second is being tackled – brutally, by the CPO Shipwright and his gang – sledgehammers are the order of the day here
Below, The Charge supervises the building of a wooden coffer dam around the shattered pipe join. Rubber strips, banding clamps, and soon, many bags of cement will seal the leak

But now, now events are catching up – it will take every last drop of remaining oil onboard to top the sump back up –and to the barest minimum at that.

The Charge turns to Minobe –both men sweat slicked, dirty “
“Does the captain know?’
“Know what?’
“That our oil is bingo?”

Minobe does not look the Charge in the eye
I thought as much, you bloody fool……..now, now what will you do?
Minobe does not look at him. “I will explain the situation”
The man scuttles away……….

“Come on men! – for Gods sake –I can see a gap in the timber there –do we have an endless supply of cement? –come on!”

As a carrier –Zuiho is temporarily hors de combat –but Shoho –somehow, is not.
9 kates race into the mist to the North – barely scraping the angry sea- and almost immediately locate “the cruiser, the destroyers”

It is a small patrol craft –another small merchant man.
Not surprisingly – in this weather –the torpedo’s miss…………

At 10 am –2 more enemy planes attack –bi planes – and these two are the greatest threat –they attack Ryujo – but miss.
So does –as many note –the AA gunners –again.

(in reply to bbbf)
Post #: 225
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/10/2011 12:51:20 AM   
1275psi

The British carrier too twists, and rattles, and shakes in this ocean
But two things seperate her from Zuiho down south
She is a lot larger, and the seas are astern for her. Yet she too is being shaken heavily -for her engines are at full ahead.

And with reason.
'Have been attacked by CV based aircraft. My position 80 miles South west Eggano island'

'How far Navigator?'
'If they continue their course north -we should be in strike range -probably...........ah yes -tomorrow PM"
'Very good then. Who's for some Char?"

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 226
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/10/2011 1:09:50 AM   
1275psi

“The repairs engines?”
Minobe, Hasegawa are on the starboard bridge wing –away from listening ears
Overhead , Shoho’s kates are circling –they will have a devil of a job getting down –but will succeed

‘Good news first Sir –the elevator is repaired – Hidaka can fly again –or at least recover the two birds aloft”
‘Good”
There is no need to eleborate on that good –both men know there is more news to come –not good news –otherwise why say first?
‘Repairs to Port MPE are progressing – we should restore it in 4 hours – the Turbine is bowed – I need 4 hours at reduced vacuum, under turning gear for it”

Hasegawa looks around –at the sea –at the empty horizon
Four hours engines – I have reports of enemy ships every where –and I have to wait four hours………
He does not say this, of course. Minobe cannot change the laws of physics after all.
Zuiho will simply have to wait the four hours.
“Is that all Engines?”
“A few leaks through out the ship –sprung pipe work –a bit of broken furniture, 2 injuries, and………….”

‘And?”

‘The bomb cracked our oil tank –we are low on oil”

Hasegawa hesitates. Does he detect? –is this a lie? If only he knew this ship better!
‘Oil tank engines? –don’t we have more than one?”

Minobe stares at his Captain.
His mind races –and decides. “its complicated sir –but we lost a lot of oil. A lot”

Hasegawa grimaces
“I see” Although he does not. If they survive this day – he must find out……..
‘How long can we stay out here Engines?”
“We need to return very soon sir”

Damn
Damn bloody mechanics
Damn bloody bombs
Damn bloody Hidaka and his grounded zeros!

He makes a decision
‘We are going hunting tomorrow engines – this is –if the weather clears –what they call a target rich environment –the allies are trying to get into Singapore. I intend to hunt . 24 hrs engines –24, then we go home, no bloody sooner!’

The old man stalks back into the bridge

Minobe has been dismissed

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 227
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/10/2011 1:21:40 AM   
1275psi

Dusk

Zuiho now steams at 20 knots – her temporary repairs complete –her engine restored
Below, in the hanger deck – the flight crews, the maintenance men prepare her planes for action.

Each Kate is now being fitted for Torpedos –and soon the sleek missiles will be brought up from below –and the hard work begun
The zeros too –are ready.

Hidaka has briefed them – the pilots –briefed them passionately –almost begging them to redeem the ship –redeem himself –for the fiasco of the day.
‘We must sink anything, everything we find tomorrow………we must”

It has been a long, frustrating, sorrowful day.
Tomorrow must be better…………..

Kurihama sits, alone – on the Starboard platform
It is dark –and below the sea hisses angrily –almost hidden, but for the angry phosphorous that breaks from time to time.
It is cold, and wet here, and miserable

He holds in his hands a large, furry, sodden now, mess.
It is the Gorilla costume –source of so many happy memories in China…….

Kurihama is sure Kamisaka would like to have it - where ever he is now.
‘fare well old friend”

the costume disappears silently into the dark sea.

Wearily Kurihama turns to go back inside – and the dark becomes day, as the starshells explode directly overhead.
He does not need the call to action stations to tell him that the enemy are at hand.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 228
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/11/2011 6:28:38 AM   
1275psi

3/3/42
0100 hrs (approx)
"Enemy ships! -bearing 090! -type unknown -range 5000 metres!"

hasegawa does not hesitate, cannot hesitate

" Signal all ships , emergency turn to Port! full ahead all!"

DD Natsushio again races across their bow -wake creaming in the dark -phosphorous glowing -her features stark under the starshell - and Hasegawa can already see her guns turning, seeking the enemy

Zuiho lurches hard -rolls, rolls, she is running across the swells now -and the helmsman struggles to hold her course
Silence -every eye on the bridge looking, looking for the source of the starshell -and every nerve tense -waiting for the scream of incoming shells

They wait, and wait -the silence almost intolerable
Hidaka has joined them
''What are they Captain?"
Hasegawa -amazingly chuckles in the dark - " i am beginning to think Hidaka that they might have been more scared than us"
'Scared is a good word - i almost crapped myself when that first shell burst overhead"
"yes -different if this was a battleship ney? -but we are not. The seas are moderating - ready for a busy day today Hidaka?'

"yes"
yes we are. Whatever is out there we will sink -I swear it

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 229
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/12/2011 9:26:44 AM   
1275psi

Dawn, 3/3/42The seas have settled.

Okura leads the hunters into the air this morning, his fish glistening in the early rays.
Already overhead the CAP circles –and the sea truly is “a target rich enviroment”

He settles into his seat, checks his clock –all about clear, Kurihama falling into position on his wing –the other position empty – a rude reminder of the deadly job they do.

He is very busy is Okura –barely clear of the deck, the gear coming up –the flaps going in –and already the target is there on the horizon –two small ships fleeing North wards.

Orders for the day

Attack!

They are hardly worth the expenditure of the great fish slung below –but orders are orders – and today Okura is filled with a cold, cold desire to redeem yesterdays shame
The throttle goes forward, and the familiar bellow fills his world as they descend

Noise

Few, these days, few of us , have ever done this. Sat in a stripped down war machine –mere inches from her beating, growling, howling heart – throttle wide –and experienced the sheer power, noise, and vibration those horsepower spill out.
It surrounds them, envelops them – and fills them with courage and confidence

And Okura barely hears it –every ounce of his being concentrating on the attack at hand.

500 feet, 400, 300, 200 –he banks her low, lower still, steadying up –the ocean a blur, racing underneath –spurts , fountains below –desperate defence and defiance from the lightly armed victim –who grow, and grows in his screen

His left arm savagely jerks, the fish falling free, true –and he wrenches the stick hard over into his thigh – totally non conventional, wrenches it around, banking hard, hard, straining her – fighting her –he has to see, has to see –and the target is obliterated by the mountain of the eruption – -yes! –yes ! – he has done it.

And incredibly, a mere 15 minutes later they are back onboard –and his crew are urgently pushing his bird below to re arm……

Hidaka is there
“Your target?”
“A patrol craft –waste of a fish really”
Hidaka dismisses the criticism “we are here to spread the message –nothing gets into Singapore” He smiles – ‘A good shot Okura. Get ready for more, as soon as you can”

‘Sir, we must”
‘Is it that critical?’

“if we do not return now –we will not make Soerabaya. We have no oil left.”

Hasegawa grips the binnacle
‘damn”
‘Alright then. Navigator! – course for home. We turn for home as soon as we have recovered current strikes”

British Carriers
To the North west of Zuiho –1200 hrs

“Based on current reports –they should be here”
‘Time to intercept?”
we could, if they maintain that course –hit them near dusk –long trip for the swordfish ………..”
Gentlemen – I think its worth it. Its murder down there –lets try to ruin the party hey what?”

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 230
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/13/2011 6:47:17 AM   
1275psi

4/3/42

extract from "Shattering the Sword" a cantona production

Only luck saves the Japanese task force from destruction
We do not know why they abruptly turned course for home -only that the British strikes failed to locate them - study shows that they came periously close -but not close enough.

Zuiho and her sister sink two more small ships today -but overall 9and still unknown to them still) -the mission -to enforce the blockade of Singapore -is a failure
Supplies -and extra troops -have gotten in.
The siege of Singapore will continue fo many, many days yet.

But batavia -that shattered city, has fallen, and Herbiesan immediately orders phase two operations into gear.
A gigantic gamble -it will be win -or die.

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 231
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/13/2011 6:56:45 AM   
1275psi

'This is madness" Mr Okura -Minister for production spits the words out -and to hell with his reaction.

'His" reaction -surprisingly, is mild -almost rational. If rational is a lable we can use for Japans Dictator.
'War" he smiles "is only fought to be won -and this, this is our only hope Okura"

(Then why are we fielding so many troops in China -troops sitting on their arse -troops you won't release to the pacific)
'But Sir".......
'Our only hope Okura. I must sink his carriers. I must. This must bring them out -will bring them out"

Okura takes a big breath. I will try, try to explain this -can he not see?
"Sir -if you seek a carrier battle -why must we send so many divisions? -surely a diversion will do -I need those ships back -the empire is already falling short of Oil and resources!"

'Palembang will fall this month - early next -you will get them -stop worrying Okura" Herbiesan opens the Port decanter. "Have a drink -relax old man"
relax? -if this goes wrong - try feeding the home islands with so many ships missing!

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 232
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/13/2011 7:00:53 AM   
1275psi

Yamamoto and Nagumo study the plan.
'Will this work?" nagumo murmers

"Only if they co operate...........so we pick a target where they must react, must come out"
They study the map, the plan in silence for a few more minutes.
"Its a long , long way Yamamoto" -Nagumo measures the route. "A long, long way -and an awful lot of fuel"
'I am more worrid about ship service availability to be honest.......what is Swift Eagles state now?"

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 233
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/13/2011 7:16:52 PM   
aprezto

You better not be invading New Zealand - we'll resist!!!!

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to 1275psi)
Post #: 234
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/13/2011 7:18:17 PM   
cantona2

I reckon hes coming for Northern Oz

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 235
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/13/2011 7:52:25 PM   
aprezto

Cantona! So you're allowed to read the AAR. That sheds some light on his cageness with his writing.

Oh, also, not sure you're right. I know I wouldn't commit my carriers to defend northern Oz. It's almost indefensible.

< Message edited by aprezto -- 1/13/2011 7:53:25 PM >

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 236
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/15/2011 12:44:50 AM   
John 3rd

Keep rolling. Very much enjoy the AAR!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 237
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/15/2011 6:23:52 AM   
1275psi

Thankyou.
Things will be a little quiet for about a fortnight -then the great adventure

5/3/42

Completely oblivious to the near miss she has had, Zuiho steams south back towards Soerabaya
Out wardly, she is calm, and it sems a quiet routine day –the CAP patrols go up –the Kates search for submarines –and the sea –so malevolent lately –now is mirror calm

But below decks, she is a busy ship
The shipwrights have a full book of cracks, and broken fittings to repair
The Charge has soot blows, boiler swings, bottom blows –and a cursed purifier to repair

He also at some stage today –will call all the E.O.O.W’s “in for a little chat” over the loss of the oil………..we might draw a curtain over this – in case certain sensibilities are hurt

The Cooks –poor buggars –have a lot of cleaning up to do –Zuihos wild Gyrations have caused no end of grief.

There is no need for a review on Zuiho’s op loss –it is just one of those inevitable things

And Hidaka has sworn to never, ever be caught with out a CAP again

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 238
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/15/2011 9:56:27 AM   
cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: aprezto

Cantona! So you're allowed to read the AAR. That sheds some light on his cageness with his writing.

Oh, also, not sure you're right. I know I wouldn't commit my carriers to defend northern Oz. It's almost indefensible.

I am sometimes aprezto. When Herb has an op that is concurrent with the AAR I am excluded for a while until the op is over or made obvious and then I have clearance gain. Northern Oz is indefensible, but If the Jap player has already been burnt via Timor in other games I can see the need to go for it.

In this most unsual of games I recombined the Indian Division on Malaya and they formed the fulcrum of Singers defence. I assume if I can also get the Oz division together then more Jap troops would be tied down.

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to aprezto)
Post #: 239
RE: The little ship that could. - 1/15/2011 11:38:41 AM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona2

quote:

ORIGINAL: aprezto

I am sometimes aprezto. When Herb has an op that is concurrent with the AAR I am excluded for a while until the op is over or made obvious and then I have clearance gain. Northern Oz is indefensible, but If the Jap player has already been burnt via Timor in other games I can see the need to go for it.

In this most unsual of games I recombined the Indian Division on Malaya and they formed the fulcrum of Singers defence. I assume if I can also get the Oz division together then more Jap troops would be tied down.

If you can recombine both Indian divisions and get them back to Singapore--and furnish and garnish the fortress--the Japanese would have needed 9-12 divisions to take the place historically, losing about 50,000 troops in the process. I don't know what the game requires--I currently have two divisions holding off five Japanese divisions, so far successfully. It's a very hard nut to crack.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The little ship that could. Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI