Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 2:39:45 AM   
jomni

Maybe we should forget about Western movies.
Anyone watched this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamato_(film)

< Message edited by jomni -- 8/31/2010 2:40:00 AM >

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 61
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 2:40:50 AM   
The Gnome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Wow, back-to-back usages of the actual name of The Movie that Shall Not Be Named.

Hey, boys, there's a reason that movie shall not be named. Now you've gone and ruined the digestive systems of 98.57% of the good people that use this forum.

Repent, or you shall be forced to watch the following movies in sequence: Dances with Wolves, Cold Mountain, Patriot, and Kelly's Heroes.

P.S. If anybody feels like defending any of these movies, just hold your tongue, go get a big glass of milk, and look at yourself in the mirror tomorrow morning.

Do not EVER knock Kelly's Heroes, enough with the negative waves.

< Message edited by The Gnome -- 8/31/2010 2:45:07 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 62
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 2:44:39 AM   
Canoerebel

Steaming pile of poo from an overheated jungle bat that ate some slimy overripe mangos.

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 63
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 2:45:10 AM   
USSAmerica

Yeah, maybe, but fun anyway.  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 64
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 2:47:01 AM   
Mynok

At least we didn't see Bronson get it on with Borgnine in that one.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 65
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 2:55:10 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

"Master and Commander"... limped in and out of theaters.

And a most excellent movie too. A shame.

quote:

...with no women in the cast, you lose half the audience...

Dream sequences! Oh God, this concept is going downhill fast...

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 66
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 2:56:41 AM   
Mynok

Inception in the Pacific.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 67
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 3:16:21 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Good point.  My wife appreciated Pearl Harbor's love aspect.  The movie has substance for her. We watched it together.
Not like Black Hawk Down, which I kinda liked. Another war movie that we watched together. At least it had some good looking guys like Orlando Bloom.
She never accompnied me while I watched BOB and The Pacific. But she kinda appreciated the fact that The Pacific had several love scenes.

You mentioned "Avatar"... Wouldn't a WW2 movie in 3D be cool!

Cool? Maybe not the word I'd use.

The thing is, a work of art--any art--has to be judged against the intent of the artist. "Pearl Harbor" was terrible history, no question. But it didn't set out to be a documentary. "Tora Tora Tora" was better, on purpose, but still not a documentary. "Pearl Harbor" should be judged against what it wanted to be, and on that it was a C- at best. It was an historical romance, not a movie about history. That said, it had some redeemig features. Any movie that tries to show an American audience even a little of Dorie Miller's story is a good thing.

Modern war movies, say, 1970 onward, have to be about characters, and not simply events, to get made. "Saving Private Ryan" wasn't about D-Day. D-Day was the canvas, but that story structure would have worked in a Civil War setting, or a Crimean War setting. The twin Iwo Jima movies of late were about the men, not the battle. (The US one was about the home front mostly. The Iwo scenes were pretty minor.)

Even classic war movies pre-1970 told micro-stories against the big canvas of war. "From Here to Eternity" was about love and hate (and a bunch of other stuff.) "Lawrence of Arabia" wasn't a war movie, it was a movie with a war. "In Harm's Way", ditto, with at least two love story arcs (and a rape.) Even the granddaddy war movie of the 1960s, "The Longest Day", while on the surface being a "hard" history of the battle, was really just a loosely-strung series of vignettes, often played for humor. It was a cameo-fest ("Look, there's Red Buttons!"), not a tightly woven plot narrative.

Movies are about people and what happens to them under stress and crisis, more or less. Fiction. Ficiton requires conflict, and humans most like to see conflict with other humans, or, sometimes nature or God. But a movie about ships maneuvering and firing at each other, like a "pure" Leyte movie, not only wouldn't get made, it wouldn't be very interesting as fiction.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 8/31/2010 3:27:58 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 68
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 3:23:20 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Wow, back-to-back usages of the actual name of The Movie that Shall Not Be Named.

Hey, boys, there's a reason that movie shall not be named. Now you've gone and ruined the digestive systems of 98.57% of the good people that use this forum.

Repent, or you shall be forced to watch the following movies in sequence: Dances with Wolves, Cold Mountain, Patriot, and Kelly's Heroes.

P.S. If anybody feels like defending any of these movies, just hold your tongue, go get a big glass of milk, and look at yourself in the mirror tomorrow morning.

I like each and every one of those movies, in order of 4, 3, 1, 2. They all did an excellent job at what they set out to do--be a good movie. Not a history survey course.

I suppose you don't like M*A*S*H either?

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 69
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 3:24:23 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Gnome

quote:

Do not EVER knock Kelly's Heroes, enough with the negative waves.

Exaclty. And Don Rickles. Don't forget Don Rickles.

The Moose

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 70
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 3:25:03 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Steaming pile of poo from an overheated jungle bat that ate some slimy overripe mangos.

I'm guessing you're too young to remember the 60s?

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 71
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 3:35:08 AM   
Canoerebel

I was born in 1960. My dad is a World War II vet. My feelings about KH are mild compared to his.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 72
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 3:50:58 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I was born in 1960. My dad is a World War II vet. My feelings about KH are mild compared to his.

My Dad is a Korean War vet. When he watches M*A*S*H he laughs so hard snot comes out his nose.

KH was a movie about the 60s, set in the 40s. M*A*S*H was a movie about Vietnam, set in Korea.

So it goes.

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 73
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 3:51:57 AM   
vettim89

quote:

Ah Dan,

quote:

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

and

quote:

To a Southerner (New Yorker) like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich, not some nut who takes on three tigers

Its not a war movie. Its a comedy set in WWII. Its supposed to be campy and weird. Which, BTW, is why it is such a great movie. I watch it just for Sutherland. One of his best roles but you want a good Sutherland WWII movie: The Eye of the Needle. Now that was a very good film

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 74
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 3:57:06 AM   
USSAmerica

I need to dig up and re-watch The Eye of the Needle.  I read the book when I was around 14 or 15 and saw the movie soon after.  That's been way too long for me to remember well.  

In high school, I played several different role playing games, including one called Top Secret.  It was a spy-themed game, and I modeled my character after Sutherland's in the movie. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 75
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 4:06:03 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

The Eye of the Needle. Now that was a very good film

Portending doom: "You're not in your Spitfire now!"

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 76
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 4:34:17 AM   
The Gnome

Eye of the Needle was a great movie and a really good book. I remember seeing the book in high school rotting in a box in the basement, then I saw the movie, and was so intrigued the book was hunted down and read.

Back on point, I have no trouble separating movies, books, and shows ABOUT an historical subject from entertainment pieces that just happen to have a particular historical backdrop.

I can be equally happy watching BBC/HBO's Rome as I am when watching A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. I don't expect the latter to pay much attention to history - I do expect it, however, to make me laugh my rear-end off.

It's the same reason I can watch Kelly's Heroes, The Dirty Dozen, The Guns of Navarone, and a host of other shows that have almost NOTHING to do with history, other than the fact that they use a piece of history as a backdrop, and enjoy them, but then get irritated by a movie like Midway (even though I still watch it).

I guess I'm not looking for anything out of a show like Hogan's Heroes other than to laugh. It's just simple, fun brain candy.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 77
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 4:56:41 AM   
John 3rd

"WOOF-WOOF"----"That's my other dog imitation!"

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 78
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 4:57:25 AM   
noguaranteeofsanity

To perhaps make things worse or even more gimmicky, it is going to be 3d as well, so as an animator with a bit of experience in this sort of thing, I'd expect lots of dive bombers dodging AAA and explosions, as that would really show off the 3d aspect.  I would also think a lot of it is going to be done with visual effects and be animated, rather than live action, as it is much easier to do 3d this way and I doubt even the USN would let them borrow several aircraft carriers that would be needed to film it.  The script is being written by Bruce McKenna who produced and wrote "The Pacific" mini-series, so is some hope there and certainly would have to be better than another upcoming movie called Battleship, which is somehow based on the game with the same name, yet about a naval fleet defeating alien invaders.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 79
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 5:10:01 AM   
witpqs

The quality (realistic look) of what is possible with animation is getting better all the time. Of course the best stuff costs more money. The real issue is what they decide to do with it. They could spend a billion on a high technical quality crappy (in an historical sense) movie.

Heh, maybe they'll do a great job.

(in reply to noguaranteeofsanity)
Post #: 80
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 5:28:33 AM   
Puhis

quote:

Anyone watched this?

I have Yamato DVD. It's a good film, not particulary excellent, but good.

All movie is on Youtube with english subtitles. Quality is not wery good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prd4-azzoQg

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 81
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 5:28:48 AM   
The Gnome

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

"Where do you expect me to find a hundred men like that?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pMeb4ZSHh8

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 82
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 5:30:32 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Well, the original had the politically correct internment sideplot, when Japanese descendants in Hawaii in real life were never actually interned in WWII (it was strictly a mainland thing). So, the question becomes how could Hollywood top that? Show Nagumo as being a sensitive, caring calligraphy master with a gaijin mistress back home who is interned as well?

Whatever happens, DO NOT LET MICHAEL BAY NEAR THIS MOVIE. Here's a reminder of the horror (warning: this clip names "The Movie That Shall Not Be Named"): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pM8PrqY5Rg

EDIT: Also, I'll be happy if they don't show the same Hellcat falling into the drink footage everytime a Wildcat or Devastator or Dauntless is shot down.

Cheers,
CC

< Message edited by Commander Cody -- 8/31/2010 5:31:50 AM >

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 83
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 5:31:19 AM   
The Gnome

quote:

Anyone watched this?

I thought this looked really interesting until I read the critical reception section:
quote:

Reviewers in the United States have described the film as a combination of Titanic and Pearl Harbor...

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 84
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 5:36:47 AM   
Puhis

Another interesting japanese movie might be "For those we love - Kamikaze tokkotai". I haven't seen that one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLLRx7xaVI&NR=1

(in reply to Puhis)
Post #: 85
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 5:39:36 AM   
jomni

quote:

I thought this looked really interesting until I read the critical reception section:
quote:

Reviewers in the United States have described the film as a combination of Titanic and Pearl Harbor...

Haha. But Westerners have nothing good to compare it with.

I hope that with the CG technology they make the pains to make the ships and planes historical instead of modern-day stand-ins.

< Message edited by jomni -- 8/31/2010 5:40:45 AM >

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 86
RE: Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 5:58:03 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

"Where do you expect me to find a hundred men like that?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pMeb4ZSHh8

"Its a Mother beautiful bridge and its GONNA be there!"

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 87
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 6:05:37 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Well, the original had the politically correct internment sideplot, when Japanese descendants in Hawaii in real life were never actually interned in WWII (it was strictly a mainland thing).

AFAIK, almost - there was some rounding up/internment at first in Hawaii.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 88
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 6:19:36 AM   
Puhis

quote:

quote:

There's a big ship = Titanic
It's about Pacific War = Pearl Harbor

I think that's about it. Really, it's not that bad. Yamato is definitely worth watching.

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 89
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 8:17:16 AM   
CaptBeefheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Commander Cody

Well, the original had the politically correct internment sideplot, when Japanese descendants in Hawaii in real life were never actually interned in WWII (it was strictly a mainland thing).

AFAIK, almost - there was some rounding up/internment at first in Hawaii.

You're right, according to Wikipedia "...in Hawaii, where more than 150,000 Japanese Americans composed nearly a third of that territory's population, 1,200[3] to 1,800 Japanese Americans were interned.[4]"

So, I guess the scenario in the movie was possible, although only a 1% chance.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI