Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/24/2011 5:54:12 PM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

What's so good about Warship Combat?

It's a little bit like "Steel Panthers" even if graphics are really stylized. Meaty OOBs, easy to use scenario editor, random scenario generator, and very playable. Some features are as stylized as the graphics (for example formation maneuver is a bit abstracted) but others are very detailed (straight/plunging hits etc.) At the end, the core of what naval warfare in WWI/WWII was about is there, and the game has just that "one more scenario!" feeling.

The reviews on the game's page are quite truthful and accurate.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 31
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/24/2011 7:36:08 PM   
histgamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

WW I naval combat really needs a champion right now. It is a unexploited gold mine. The HPS games are terribly simple and not very good.
Jutland is ok but is fatally flawed by giving you too much to command at one time which makes the game completely unwieldy. Add to that a terrible control system and you have a game with promised but it's core gameplay is so flawed as to make it unplayable.

What the industry really needs is a WW 1 game using the WITP engine set in the North Sea and Med. The era of dreadnoughts and battle cruisers and armored cruisers is almost completely untapped.
I would pay $70 with almost no questions asked.

Well I am learning to code, so in 40 years I'll have an engine and game done for ya... hope your still waiting then!!!

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 32
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/24/2011 8:54:10 PM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: dfinan

Anyone know a good current computer game for surface Naval ship combat in WWI to WWII. There was an old computer game called Great Naval Battles from SSI. I would love to see that redone and updated, or maybe take an old Board game like Task Forces Battlewagons and convert it into a computer game.

Well they're not strictly naval games but the naval aspect is pretty prominent in the War in the Pacific series. In War Plan Orange you can have big naval surface battles.

(in reply to dfinan)
Post #: 33
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 11/25/2011 5:09:29 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vincenzo Beretta

quote:

What's so good about Warship Combat?

It's a little bit like "Steel Panthers" even if graphics are really stylized.

It explains why I can't get into it. Generally, I don't like clickfest games and WC:NaW is one of them. I prefer games when I don't have to point targets for every weapon when playing as someone who commands several ships or even several squadrons.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Vincenzo_Beretta)
Post #: 34
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 12/5/2011 10:54:00 AM   
redcoat

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

I don't have this as it's not a digital download http://www.hpssims.com/Pages/Products/NavCamp/Midway/midway.html but would like to try it.

The Wargamer has just published a review of Naval Campaigns: Midway - with screenshots - if you are still thinking about it.

Linkie

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 35
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 2/5/2012 12:00:41 PM   
redcoat

quote:

Steam and Iron looks like a promising WW1 naval game.

Link

Screenshot zip pack

Steam and Iron has just been released. For those who don't mind old skool graphics.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 36
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 2/5/2012 2:35:12 PM   
Phatguy

quote:

More like 1985, am I right?

If the game is any good why have a issue with graphics...They are more than adequate to convey the info needed.

That said, I have no idea if its any good but I know I need campaigns, not single battles

My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 37
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 2/5/2012 3:57:04 PM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

quote:

More like 1985, am I right?

If the game is any good why have a issue with graphics...They are more than adequate to convey the info needed.

I don't have any issue with the graphics (except for the obnoxious sea colour).

quote:

ORIGINAL: apathetic lurker

That said, I have no idea if its any good but I know I need campaigns, not single battles

Naval campaigns? Didn't they have just a few engagements during WWI?

< Message edited by Perturabo -- 2/5/2012 3:58:18 PM >

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Phatguy)
Post #: 38
RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game - 2/5/2012 6:52:51 PM   
Titanwarrior89

Becareful with Storm Eagle-I bought both their games. A year later my computer went belly up and they were not helpful at all in getting my games dowloaded again. I will NEVER do business with them again. I wasted over 100 bucks with them.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

Storm Eagle's Jutland, if you can live with the DRM; research that before buying. There is a demo to try.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 39
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: WWI-WWII Naval War Game Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI