Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:24:05 PM   
BrucePowers

Yup

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 3361
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:24:24 PM   
BrucePowers

UNP

Post #: 3362
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:24:58 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

Europeans have for many years called us "Yanks" (and by that I mean other countries beside the UK). But If the abreviation bothers you, I'll certainly stop using it. I certainly never meant to give offense, and I'm most sorry if I did.

You started it with the Limeys tag

They were just upset at having scurvy.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 3363
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:25:23 PM   
BrucePowers

Just for good measure.

Post #: 3364
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:25:32 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: radar

Another international incident due to miscommunication. Why can't we all just get along? Why, why, why!?
(This bit of theatrics brought to you by the Worldwide Council to Stamp Out Thin Skin Syndrome.)

Who sponsored the previous bit?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to radar)
Post #: 3365
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:26:42 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

Europeans have for many years called us "Yanks" (and by that I mean other countries beside the UK). But If the abreviation bothers you, I'll certainly stop using it. I certainly never meant to give offense, and I'm most sorry if I did.

Why should anybody be insulted? Its not the words that insult, its the way they are ment...

Words have great power in our world (if magic ever did exist , it was in the power of words). Sometimes, like all powerfull things, they get out of control and can be destructive. If I get drunk and hit someone with my car, I didn't mean to hurt them, but I did none the less. And I would still be responsible. And if I inadvertantly offend someone, I'll let them be the judges of if the words are offensive or not. I'll apologize and not use the words again. If you recall, we went around about this ourselves a year or so ago. I still belive that it's up to the offended party to be the judge on wether or not he's offended. NOT the one doing the offending.

I'm European, and I can say I'm not offended, not even slightly.
Neither is the word "Euros" offensive, nore would anyone sane think that you intended to offend...

Thats because Germany is tied with France on the number of unflattering nicknames they have collected over the years.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 3366
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:28:39 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

The Canadian folk humor group, "The Arrogant Worms" has really good stuff. One of their songs, "I am not American", is an almost but not quite offensive balancing act pointing out that not all Americans reside in the boundaries of The United States of America. In their eyes, "Americans" refers to anyone in any nation residing in the Americas-North or South.

Interesting point. Probably technically right. If you think about it, Vespucci really scored big on that one-getting two CONTINENTS named after him. Beats the heck out of a crummy province, state or city naming rights.

To their credit though, the Arrogant Worms do point out that alternative names, such as "USA'ers and United Statesians" are pretty lame. So common useage of "American", as ingrained as it is and as slang as it is probably not worth fighting.

So, if I had thin skin, I could probably ask to be referred to as "A nationalized resident of The United States of America". Pretty clunky tag. 'American' or 'Yank' is fine too, provided we're not going to get hung up on formalities.

if i could be so bold, i *think* the exception taken (perceived or real) is the lumping together of all people from the continent of Europe as "Euro's", which is what i think my mosquito loving friend is saying, but much more subtly and elegantly. from an american-centric point of view this might make sense...but to people from such diverse cultures and view points (say, Finns versus Spainiards?), this may seem like a stretch to put all into the same category. sometimes i resent being placed in the same category (american) as rednecks from the south and tree huggers from the west, but hey...c'est la vie...

let's face it...there's only one outcast in this group of homo sapiens and he has antennae on his head...right mynok?

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3367
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:31:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Being from New York, living in Florida I get called a #$%^ yankee occasionally.

Yankee Doodle, keep it up,
Yankee Doodle dandy.
Mind the music and the step,
And with the girls be handy.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Onime No Kyo -- 10/5/2010 11:41:35 PM >

Post #: 3368
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:32:19 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why should anybody be insulted? Its not the words that insult, its the way they are ment...

Words have great power in our world (if magic ever did exist , it was in the power of words). Sometimes, like all powerfull things, they get out of control and can be destructive. If I get drunk and hit someone with my car, I didn't mean to hurt them, but I did none the less. And I would still be responsible. And if I inadvertantly offend someone, I'll let them be the judges of if the words are offensive or not. I'll apologize and not use the words again. If you recall, we went around about this ourselves a year or so ago. I still belive that it's up to the offended party to be the judge on wether or not he's offended. NOT the one doing the offending.

Neither is the word "Euros" offensive, nore would anyone sane think that you intended to offend...

Nice to know, but it is T's call.

Considering that he's the only person around here who gets offended more easily than I do, I'd say let it go.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3369
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:32:40 PM   
anarchyintheuk

quote:

The Canadian folk humor group, "The Arrogant Worms" has really good stuff. One of their songs, "I am not American", is an almost but not quite offensive balancing act pointing out that not all Americans reside in the boundaries of The United States of America. In their eyes, "Americans" refers to anyone in any nation residing in the Americas-North or South.

Interesting point. Probably technically right. If you think about it, Vespucci really scored big on that one-getting two CONTINENTS named after him. Beats the heck out of a crummy province, state or city naming rights.

To their credit though, the Arrogant Worms do point out that alternative names, such as "USA'ers and United Statesians" are pretty lame. So common useage of "American", as ingrained as it is and as slang as it is probably not worth fighting.

So, if I had thin skin, I could probably ask to be referred to as "A nationalized resident of The United States of America". Pretty clunky tag. 'American' or 'Yank' is fine too, provided we're not going to get hung up on formalities.

Never really thought of it as other than an historical anomaly. At the time the US came into being there were no other independent nations in the hemisphere. The country had a choice of what to name itself and the official name chosen had 'america' in it. I'm not sure there was a generally accepted term to call citizens of the new country and as the AWs observe the other possibilities just aren't sexy.

As an aside we've had several Mexican clients who consistently refer to americans as north americans. Must be that whole 1836/1848 thing. I'm not quite sure what a north american is.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3370
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:41:21 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: anarchyintheuk

quote:

Never really thought of it as other than an historical anomaly. At the time the US came into being there were no other independent nations in the hemisphere. The country had a choice of what to name itself and the official name chosen had 'america' in it. I'm not sure there was a generally accepted term to call citizens of the new country and as the AWs observe the other possibilities just aren't sexy.

As an aside we've had several Mexican clients who consistently refer to americans as north americans. Must be that whole 1836/1848 thing. I'm not quite sure what a north american is.

Anyone from north of Panama.

(in reply to anarchyintheuk)
Post #: 3371
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:41:54 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Considering that he's the only person around here who gets offended more easily than I do, I'd say let it go.

let's put that to the test...is the picture from your previous post from the headboard of your bed?

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 3372
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:43:34 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

That's what you called yourself! And you think it derogatory to say Yanks? Well it is! That's because your calling us ENGLISH you silly little person from the island under the clouds!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 3373
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:44:59 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Another international incident due to miscommunication. Why can't we all just get along? Why, why, why!?
(This bit of theatrics brought to you by the Worldwide Council to Stamp Out Thin Skin Syndrome.)

DROP DEAD HIPPIE SCUM!!! See if you get along with my friends, Smith and Wesson!!!!

(in reply to radar)
Post #: 3374
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:45:53 PM   
radar

Free the hippies!

USS Terry (DD-513) — Battle of the Atlantic, Solomon and Marianas Islands campaigns and the Battle of Iwo Jima

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3375
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:46:40 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really? You easily offended? What on earth could I say to offend you?? Please,I'd really like to know (It might come in handy someday!)

Post #: 3376
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:47:47 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Free the hippies!

GET OFF MY LAWN PUNK!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to radar)
Post #: 3377
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:48:06 PM   
Kwik E Mart

perhaps we should all take a step back and take a lesson from this movie...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to radar)
Post #: 3378
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:48:55 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

Well, pneumonic plague (caused by Yersinia pestis too) is a much nastier form of the disease (and more deadly) than the classic "bubos" that form with bubonic plague. You can have either form manifest in a population. Mercifully, the pneumonic form is less common.

Yes, this one is a good candidate based on the reports of described symptoms of 'Black Death'. The one catch seems to be the lack of an explanation for the rapidness of contagion.

Don't know why I find this fascinating. Yes I do...I'm Martian.

Oh, no! Not a cold virus!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3379
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:49:12 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really? You easily offended? What on earth could I say to offend you?? Please,I'd really like to know (It might come in handy someday!)

Steve, we both know somebody, who is really easy offended by words, no?

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3380
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:49:52 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 3381
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:50:25 PM   
Historiker

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

quote:

Well, pneumonic plague (caused by Yersinia pestis too) is a much nastier form of the disease (and more deadly) than the classic "bubos" that form with bubonic plague. You can have either form manifest in a population. Mercifully, the pneumonic form is less common.

Yes, this one is a good candidate based on the reports of described symptoms of 'Black Death'. The one catch seems to be the lack of an explanation for the rapidness of contagion.

Don't know why I find this fascinating. Yes I do...I'm Martian.

Oh, no! Not a cold virus!

Where's my turn? I want to kick some more plutocratic a$$!

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 3382
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:51:08 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

let's put that to the test...is the picture from your previous post from the headboard of your bed?

Bugs Bunny? Nah. I have Buzz Lightyear.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 3383
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:51:51 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

Bugs Bunny? Nah. I have Buzz Lightyear.

this confirms my suspicion that you are indeed not as easily miffed...

Post #: 3384
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:52:27 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's what you called yourself! And you think it derogatory to say Yanks? Well it is! That's because your calling us ENGLISH you silly little person from the island under the clouds!

Fair enough. But what is the origin of the word?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3385
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:52:29 PM   
Historiker

quote:

quote:

No.

Still, I managed to enrage him twice He always understands words in the most insultive way possible, I guess. Maybe he has fun being offended?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3386
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:53:14 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

DROP DEAD HIPPIE SCUM!!! See if you get along with my friends, Smith and Wesson!!!!

Wrong thread, o ancient one.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3387
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:54:31 PM   
Kwik E Mart

post work off to the golf course tithe...

i fully expect you kids to have this all worked out by the time i check in tomorrow!

< Message edited by Kwik E Mart -- 10/5/2010 11:55:10 PM >

Post #: 3388
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:56:08 PM   
anarchyintheuk

Lot of things on the plate . . . evil schemes, world domination, etc.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 3389
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 10/5/2010 11:57:51 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Stupidity, condescension and hypocrisy are the quickest. Since I have not known you, or most of the Thread regulars, to be guilty of any of these, you have never offended me.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 3390
Page:   <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  111 112 [113] 114 115   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI